Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is Peerman's time coming to a close?
I'd like to open this thread by first stating that Peerman has been a staple for this team for many years now and I will always be grateful to what he has brought to the special teams and reserve RB role.

That said, I think that Burkhead can and should replace him for a few reasons:

1) Burkhead has consistently performed better as a RB than Peerman these past couples of seasons.

2) Burkhead's hands and ability out of the backfield are exceptionally better than Peerman's.

3) Burkhead has shown the ability to contribute just as consistently as Peerman on special teams.

4) And finally, we have a couple promising young talents vying for a spot this year as the 4th RB. I really think if we try to place them on the practice squad they'll get picked up by someone else by the end of the year.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Big Peerman fan, but love the way Carson runs as well as Burkhead.

They will have to surpass Ced in ST's play to replace him this year though.

Am on fence on this presently, but have thought the same thing as of late.

Which I have never done before in regards of Peerman.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2016, 02:16 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Big Peerman fan, but love the way Carson runs as well as Burkhead.

They will have to surpass Ced in ST's play to replace him this year though.

Am on fence on this presently, but have thought the same thing as of late.

Which I have never done before in regards of Peerman.

Burkhead reminds me of Brian Leonard.
Reply/Quote
Not this year in my opinion. He is here strictly as a special teams ace and pairing his and burkheads abilities on teams makes it difficult on opponents. Those two working together are a huge part of that units success. With him having 3 RB's ahead of him on the depth chart (j. Hill, gio, burkhead), I think His ability at RB has zero to do with him making the roster. The only way I see this happening is if somebody else steps up and shows that they can fill his role on teams, but a player that makes the pro bowl for special teams has big shoes they need to fill and I have my doubts they can do it.

Reply/Quote
IMO Peerman, a valuable and consistent ST standout, played better in the Viking game than he did against the Lions. Why? I have no idea. Yes, I too like Burkhead and hope he continues to play well. I was thinking during the Lions game watching Peerman and wondered if he would have had better success had he been given the opportunity to run the same plays that Burkhead got in similar situations. It appeared to me that Peerman got only dive plays. Of course I could be wrong.
Otherwise, I agree that Peerman's play seems to have declined.

Sadly so has Hunt's (is that possible?) He couldn't get off a block if his life depended on it. I thought he was supposed to have exceptional upper body strength. It doesn't appear to be the case even against non-first team blockers,
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2016, 02:17 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: Burkhead reminds me of Brian Leonard.

Yeah, other than Leonard running a 4.49, and Burkhead running a 4.73.
Also other than Leonard bench pressing 28 reps and Burkhead doing it 21 times.
Oh, and Leonard being 6'1, 225 lbs and Burkhead being 5'10, 210 lbs.

But other than their height, weight, strength, and speed, yup, exactly the same.  Does he also remind you of Jordan Shipley, Wes Welker, and Peyton Hillis?

Racist.   Ninja Ninja Ninja

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Hilarious Hilarious

Lol..... but seriously on the original topic, I think Peerman might be finally pushed off this season, unless Marvin pulls a Marvin and keeps all "his" guys regardless of performance (hey there Nugent).

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2016, 02:28 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Yeah, other than Leonard running a 4.49, and Burkhead running a 4.73.
Also other than Leonard bench pressing 28 reps and Burkhead doing it 21 times.
Oh, and Leonard being 6'1, 225 lbs and Burkhead being 5'10, 210 lbs.

But other than their height, weight, strength, and speed, yup, exactly the same.  Does he also remind you of Jordan Shipley, Wes Welker, and Peyton Hillis?

Racist.   Ninja Ninja Ninja

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Hilarious Hilarious

Lol..... but seriously on the original topic, I think Peerman might be finally pushed off this season, unless Marvin pulls a Marvin and keeps all "his" guys regardless of performance (hey there Nugent).

Burkhead reminds me of Gio, Spores and Woodhead

Small quick-twitch bowling balls with great balance who can run
Reply/Quote
Honestly I hope he is cut this season because he is just not that good anymore at running the ball. He looked really slow in the game. Yes he plays special teams and yes he made a pro bowl for it but honestly there are other players that can help on special teams that are younger and better because if we try to put the younger rbs on the practice squad they will be gone very quickly. I like both of the younger rbs but I think Carson is the better option to keep as the 4th rb because he runs with some quickness and toughness. I am just afraid that Marvin will be Marvin and keep the older players out of loyalty and not really give the younger guys with better potential a real chance and then lose them when he tries to place them on the practice squad. I would love to go into the season with Jeremy Hill, Gio Bernard, Rex Burkhead and Tre Carson as the four rbs on the roster and then have Bronson Hill as the practice squad rb but of course what I want and what Marvin does is completely different, case in point Mike Nugent. He needs to get away from the keeping players out of loyalty mentality because that is going to catch up to the team. I'm sorry but it is time to cut Peerman, Nugent and Margus Hunt and get younger and better. I would also throw Peko into that mix but not until next season when he is contract is up and let him walk.
Reply/Quote
I respect ced, he's a great guy, but he will never be used on offense . Who knows what kinda potential carson could bring. He looks great though and he will be snatched up quick if we don't keep him
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2016, 07:01 PM)The Burfict Answer Wrote: I respect ced, he's a great guy, but he will never be used on offense . Who knows what kinda potential carson could bring. He looks great though and he will be snatched up quick if we don't keep him

Carson pretty much has no chance of making the team how many carries meaningful as a fourth running back going to get when you have Hill and Gino and Burkhead head of you plus they'll probably all be here for the next two years. I pretty much think our  lack of drafting a running back tells you what the Bengals think of the four they have
Reply/Quote
I found myself 'mad' at watching Ced Thursday...why?

I am a Ced fan, but he's reminding of Ced Benson in his last season here. He was averaging 3.1 or 3.7 yards a game and they fed him the ball over 250 times for 14-15 games, and he was having problems with Marvin Lewis about the rotation. Cedric Benson was doing a lot of dancing in the backfield, just seemed like a disaster to watch/rely on.

Ced P used to punch that hole, used to be stronger in the cut, again preseason, but Ced was always a preseason beast...not so much this season, that I noticed.

[Image: cinsigfin.png]
Reply/Quote
Until someone plays teams consistently at Ced's caliber, Simmons will go to bat for him. See Tate, Brandon.

His running is the last thing I want to see, however.
Reply/Quote
I hope so. For some reason the guy has never excited me
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2016, 01:16 AM)Gohards Wrote: I hope so. For some reason the guy has never excited me

As someone else stated he's in the "solid" category with Tate, especially special teams. I wouldn't even have made this thread if it weren't for his dismal performance this past game. That said, another poster postulated that he wasn't getting many off-tackle or stretch runs either in the last game. From a personnel standpoint I'd give him plenty of opportunity to earn his stay in game 3 (even ahead of Burkhead because we know Burk is bringing it). Right now for me personally though, Ced is fighting for the 4th RB spot. He better bring it.
Reply/Quote
Ced's not going anywhere soon and they always toss him in as a running back in preseason games.. Why? That's one of lifes odd mysteries..But he's great in ST's so he's not going anywhere this year at least.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
It dosent matter how he runs the ball hes our number 4 idc as long as hes an exceptional st hes on the team period.
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2016, 03:11 AM)Jpoore Wrote: It dosent matter how he runs the ball hes our number 4 idc as long as hes an exceptional st hes on the team period.

I don't think 53 players is enough to keep a "special teams only" player on board. I look at it the opposite way. Special teams ability is a must for your backups but they have to actually be decent at their non-special teams position as well.
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2016, 03:15 AM)treee Wrote: I don't think 53 players is enough to keep a "special teams only" player on board. I look at it the opposite way. Special teams ability is a must for your backups but they have to actually be decent at their non-special teams position as well.

If he was the number 3 i could see that but hes the number 4 hes not gonna play anyways i hill gets hurt it switches to gio being the bruiser inside the tackles like he was in 2013? If gio gets hurt its hill being the bruiser and rex being the shifty pass catching back so ced is not really grtting playing time unless both rbs get hurt
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2016, 03:25 AM)Jpoore Wrote: If he was the number 3 i could see that but hes the number 4 hes not gonna play anyways i hill gets hurt it switches to gio being the bruiser inside the tackles like he was in 2013? If gio gets hurt its hill being the bruiser and rex being the shifty pass catching back so ced is not really grtting playing time unless both rbs get hurt

No one in their right mind would play Gio like they do J Hill. Gio is not a bruiser. That's why people really like some of our potential younger guys because they are big and shifty. Both Rex and Gio are better with space, and Hill along with some other RB should be our "bruisers".
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2016, 03:43 AM)treee Wrote: No one in their right mind would play Gio like they do J Hill. Gio is not a bruiser. That's why people really like some of our potential younger guys because they are big and shifty. Both Rex and Gio are better with space, and Hill along with some other RB should be our "bruisers".

Im not debating that gio is obviousky the guy u want out in space im just saying if hill got hurt gio would be the everydown back
Reply/Quote