Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Is There a Doctor in the House? High Ankle Sprain ?
(01-23-2023, 05:24 PM)Sled21 Wrote: There is a reason when NFL players get high ankle apraind they are out 6-8 weeks. I doubt he's able to play, and if he does he will be highly affected

Hi Sled. Don't know if you were writing that as I was posting, but it seems that Andy Reid expects him to play and says the injury was less severe than the one Mahomes suffered in 2019. He returned from that one the very next week and threw for four TDs. 

https://www.kmbc.com/article/andy-reid-mahomes-update-monday-press-conference/42622599

Edit: I reread the link. It doesn't say Andy Reid expects him to play. It says Reid noted Mahomes determination to play and said it will be evaluated "day-by-day."
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2023, 05:03 PM)ezekiel23 Wrote: They’ll game plan for Patrick Mahommes as if he is 100%.I feel like this injury is going to have little affect on his play.
They’ll shoot him up on torodol and tape it up,and he’ll be ready to go.

Agree that they'll prepare for him being 100% but this injury certainly going to affect his play.  Look at how much it affected him the 2nd half this week, he could barely hand the ball off on stretch plays and threw zero passes outside the pocket which is a major strength.  The injuries not going to get much better if any in a week regardless of how many injections and tape he gets. 
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2023, 03:41 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: He will play, Mahomes IS THAT TEAM.

Every time i've seen Henne fill in the offense has barely skipped a beat. He's helped to secure two playoff victories for KC. 

Don't sleep on him.
Reply/Quote
Reid has already said Mahomes is playing.

How much it will effect his mobility is the question.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
In my extensively nonexistent knowledge of high ankle sprains, I think Mahomes is gonna be fine.

I do remember learning about this injury when it happened to Curtis Martin back in the day (when i really cared about Fantasy Football)...I feel like back then it was a 6 week recovery time (at least 4)...i think it's a marvel that we're now able to reduce the recovery time to 2 weeks in some circumstances.
-The only bengals fan that has never set foot in Cincinnati 1-15-22
Reply/Quote
Yeah, he’s playing, but he will be limited likely all week, and his mobility will be effected. I’m curious as to if that will change a little how we play him. It’ll be a good one.
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2023, 05:27 PM)Nepa Wrote: Hi Sled. Don't know if you were writing that as I was posting, but it seems that Andy Reid expects him to play and says the injury was less severe than the one Mahomes suffered in 2019. He returned from that one the very next week and threw for four TDs. 

https://www.kmbc.com/article/andy-reid-mahomes-update-monday-press-conference/42622599

Edit: I reread the link. It doesn't say Andy Reid expects him to play. It says Reid noted Mahomes determination to play and said it will be evaluated "day-by-day."

This is Monday. Let's see what Wednesday looks like.
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2023, 06:18 PM)Sled21 Wrote: This is Monday. Let's see what Wednesday looks like.

Definitely can never know for sure but I've seen other players come out and say they've played with high ankle sprains. Just will shoot him up with Tramadol and possibly some other things to where he likely won't really even feel it. 

If this is the regular season I think he sits but with the playoffs and being a QB I think it's a little easier.
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2023, 05:38 PM)NotBigzo Wrote: Every time i've seen Henne fill in the offense has barely skipped a beat. He's helped to secure two playoff victories for KC. 

Don't sleep on him.

Bingo and we don’t always do well against fill-in’s
Reply/Quote
I feel like this is worse than KC is letting on. I have zero evidence for this, just a feeling I'm getting from it.

The Bengals should prepare to play a 100 percent Mahomes, no doubt, but removing mobility from his game is a bigger deal than some might want to admit.

If their training staff shoots that leg up with tramadol and lidocaine, he won't feel much pain, but he also won't feel the damned leg. That won't exactly do wonders for his mechanics. The predicted freezing cold temps won't be any fun for him, either. KC might have been better off with the neutral-site game in a 75 degree dome.
Reply/Quote
Unfortunately we have to prepare for both Henne and Mahomes. If Mahomes plays it should definitely help our pass rush get home even if we are only rushing three (which has worked well before).

Reply/Quote
(01-23-2023, 06:15 PM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: Yeah, he’s playing, but he will be limited likely all week, and his mobility will be effected. I’m curious as to if that will change a little how we play him. It’ll be a good one.
Rush more and play tighter coverage. Don't give up anything underneath. Force him to beat us with the deep ball because, with him not being able to plant and throw as well, his deep ball with be greatly affected.
(01-23-2023, 06:32 PM)samhain Wrote: I feel like this is worse than KC is letting on.  I have zero evidence for this, just a feeling I'm getting from it.  

The Bengals should prepare to play a 100 percent Mahomes, no doubt, but removing mobility from his game is a bigger deal than some might want to admit.  

If their training staff shoots that leg up with tramadol and lidocaine, he won't feel much pain, but he also won't feel the damned leg.  That won't exactly do wonders for his mechanics.  The predicted freezing cold temps won't be any fun for him, either.  KC might have been better off with the neutral-site game in a 75 degree dome.
He'll throw balls high because he won't be able to plant and follow through. Hopefully it leads to some turnovers.
(01-23-2023, 06:36 PM)BoomerFan Wrote: Unfortunately we have to prepare for both Henne and Mahomes. If Mahomes plays it should definitely help our pass rush get home even if we are only rushing three (which has worked well before).

Yeah, bring the house and force him to get rid of the ball and cover things near the line. Dare him to throw deep.
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2023, 04:21 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: It isn't supposed to be easy. Hope he plays great, still doesn't mean he will win.

Nate, I'm sure this is the correct attitude, to want to beat a 100% Mahomes. Good attitude for the Bengals players and fans.

But, I guess after half-a-century of rooting for the Bengals, I wouldn't mind a little break along the way. Not saying that I hope Mahomes doesn't play, but maybe a 90% healthy Mahomes. Or maybe 80%.  Wink

I don't think the Pittsburgh Steelers are embarrassed to hang their 2006 Super Bowl Championship banner (2005 season) because Carson Palmer was injured in the game against them. They probably just look at it as the football gods smiling on them. (Reminder: they were only 6th seed that year and yet ended up with Hines Ward being the Super Bowl MVP and Roethlisberger a Super Bowl champion. I don't think they give a second thought that they wouldn't be Super Bowl champions if Palmer hadn't been injured.)

But, you're right. We should want to beat Mahomes at his best. And I'm proud that the team and fans feel that way. 
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2023, 05:38 PM)NotBigzo Wrote: Every time i've seen Henne fill in the offense has barely skipped a beat. He's helped to secure two playoff victories for KC. 

Don't sleep on him.

Henne alone doesn't scare me so much, but Henne with Reid's coaching and their playmakers does.  I would be less afraid of a banged up Mahomes.
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2023, 09:17 AM)Big_Ern Wrote: We're lucky Joe dodged that bullet in the game. Took a shot to his plant ankle at one point but walked it off

It looked like the Bills player's helmet hit Joe's shin. I am guessing he has a pretty good bruise there but yeah it wouldn't impact his play. 

Reply/Quote
(01-23-2023, 08:34 PM)Von Cichlid Wrote: Henne alone doesn't scare me so much, but Henne with Reid's coaching and their playmakers does.  I would be less afraid of a banged up Mahomes.

Crazy talk. An 80% Mahomes is still in another stratosphere compared to a backup.

Reply/Quote
I had this lingering in my head all day....i just KNEW there was another athlete sometime recently that got a high ankle sprain and didn't miss any time. Just saw it on a Rich Eisen clip......It was Big Ben back in 2011. Now i'm not saying Mahomes is a machine like BB was but it's another reason for me to expect Mahomes to play and still play at an extremely high level.
-The only bengals fan that has never set foot in Cincinnati 1-15-22
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2023, 06:20 PM)TheFan Wrote: Definitely can never know for sure but I've seen other players come out and say they've played with high ankle sprains. Just will shoot him up with Tramadol and possibly some other things to where he likely won't really even feel it. 

If this is the regular season I think he sits but with the playoffs and being a QB I think it's a little easier.

I've never had Tramadol so I can't say. I've had toradol though, and it's wonderful, but I doubt you could function as a QB while on it...lol
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2023, 09:18 PM)basballguy Wrote: I had this lingering in my head all day....i just KNEW there was another athlete sometime recently that got a high ankle sprain and didn't miss any time.  Just saw it on a Rich Eisen clip......It was Big Ben back in 2011.  Now i'm not saying Mahomes is a machine like BB was but it's another reason for me to expect Mahomes to play and still play at an extremely high level.

And apparently Mahomes also did in 2019 and didn't miss the next game, and indeed threw 4 TDs the next game.
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2023, 09:40 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I've never had Tramadol so I can't say. I've had toradol though, and it's wonderful, but I doubt you could function as a QB while on it...lol

Tramadol is pretty great.  I took one once when I hurt my back and was told it was a non-opioid anti-inflammatory drug.  I thought, gee it must be like really strong Tylenol or something.  No.  Unless the person taking it regularly uses opioids, it's packs quite a punch.  
Reply/Quote