Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is anyone else still mad as hell?
(09-27-2015, 07:15 PM)StripesInSuffolk Wrote: It was the correct call.  The Bengals won.  Who gives a crap?

This ^^
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-27-2015, 07:08 PM)PDub80 Wrote: - Marvin... I LOVED going for the TD on 4th. HATED sitting on the ball at the end of the half.

I agree completely. We had them on the ropes, our D was playing well, and we were getting the ball 1st after halftime. I have no problem that he went for it there. We have been wanting to see more aggression out of ML for years. Now he's doing it.
Reply/Quote
I loved Marvin's decision to go for it on 4th down. I wasn't a big fan of the playcall, but that's nitpicky crap. Everyone here wanted the Bengals to assert themselves as a dominant team against their desperate rivals, and they had a chance. Marvin didn't turtle up and play the conservative FG nonsense that many people here would be complaining about if he had done so.

Sometimes coaches make the right decision and it still doesn't work.
Reply/Quote
(09-27-2015, 06:57 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: To be fair, the NFL needs to clean up this rule. Sure, he broke the plane and had possession beforehand, but fell to the ground and it became loose.

This rule needs to be fixed and better defined.

The question in every NFL game seems to be: what is a catch?

Right, if the receiver takes steps in control it's a catch. Only when going out of bounds or not in control movement makes it incomplete.
Reply/Quote
(09-27-2015, 06:44 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: I'm still pissed off rom Gresh in 2011. Notice that was also in Bmore?

Both calls were bullshit and both were TDs; in EVERY instance of this rule that I can remembr, the home team has gotten the call (Calvin V Bears, Gresh V Ratbirds, Dez V Pack and today).

The calls were all correct according the rules, but the rule is just stupid.
[Image: what%2Bday%2Bis%2Bit.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(09-27-2015, 07:19 PM)StripesInSuffolk Wrote: I loved Marvin's decision to go for it on 4th down.  I wasn't a big fan of the playcall, but that's nitpicky crap.  Everyone here wanted the Bengals to assert themselves as a dominant team against their desperate rivals, and they had a chance.  Marvin didn't turtle up and play the conservative FG nonsense that many people here would be complaining about if he had done so.

Sometimes coaches make the right decision and it still doesn't work.

I don't agree.  The right call was the FG or line up and try to get the Ravens to be offsides.  Going for it there was reckless.  The FG puts you up 3 scores.  You go for it and don't make it, it just fires up the opponent and gives them new life.
To each his own... unless you belong to a political party...
Reply/Quote
(09-27-2015, 07:26 PM)EatonFan Wrote: I don't agree.  The right call was the FG or line up and try to get the Ravens to be offsides.  Going for it there was reckless.  The FG puts you up 3 scores.  You go for it and don't make it, it just fires up the opponent and gives them new life.

It also leaves them trapped inside their own five yard line.  Marvin trusted the defense, and I think he was right to trust them even considering the difficult second half they had.  Moreover, you can't gripe about the move while only acknowledging the negative possibility -- imagine the dejection for Baltimore if they hold the Bengals to a likely FG try and end up giving up the TD anyway.
Reply/Quote
(09-27-2015, 07:14 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: Lol what?

He was burnt like toast. So, get some butter out for the guy. Steve Smith treated DreK like he dropped the soap in a prison shower scene from the show OZ.
Reply/Quote
Every Bengals corner was whooped by Steve Smith. Every Raiders corner was whooped by Steve Smith. Tackling was bad, but honestly Steve Smith has made a career of evading sure tackles. Shore it up before the Chiefs and we're fine.
Reply/Quote
(09-27-2015, 07:32 PM)PDub80 Wrote: He was burnt like toast. So, get some butter out for the guy. Steve Smith treated DreK like he dropped the soap in a prison shower scene from the show OZ.

You know very little about football.
Reply/Quote
(09-27-2015, 07:26 PM)EatonFan Wrote: I don't agree.  The right call was the FG or line up and try to get the Ravens to be offsides.  Going for it there was reckless.  The FG puts you up 3 scores.  You go for it and don't make it, it just fires up the opponent and gives them new life.

I've always believed that when you have momentum, you do what you can to keep it.  You kick the FG, the momentum stays with you.  You get nothing and you risk surrendering the mo.

To me, the risk of losing that momentum in their house outweighs the benefit of going for the throat in the first half.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(09-27-2015, 07:38 PM)McC Wrote: I've always believed that when you have momentum, you do what you can to keep it.  You kick the FG, the momentum stays with you.  You get nothing and you risk surrendering the mo.

To me, the risk of losing that momentum in their house outweighs the benefit of going for the throat in the first half.

End of the half, we were getting the ball back anyway. Screw being timid and worrying about momentum, step on their throats!
Reply/Quote
(09-27-2015, 07:38 PM)McC Wrote: I've always believed that when you have momentum, you do what you can to keep it.  You kick the FG, the momentum stays with you.  You get nothing and you risk surrendering the mo.

I think that's the core of my disagreement.  I think kicking the FG is equivalent to surrendering the momentum.  It does represent a mathematical advantage as a three-score lead, but I don't think it does very much to affect the Ravens' attitude about potentially coming back.
Reply/Quote

Agree, especially on the road. Take the 3 points - still amps up the pressure.
Reply/Quote
More ashamed than anything. I actually don't have a huge problem with the 4th down call, had Andy not had to scramble to the other side of the field to throw the pass. There is no way around how bad the clock management was though, another level...if that's even possible. It's like nobody knew what was going on. What sums it up was I was still nervous at the end when they were running out the clock. Marvin and Andy are talking and I'm thinking "I don't even wanna know".

A win is a win though, I'm not mad because the team won. WHO DEY!!!!!!
Reply/Quote
(09-27-2015, 07:40 PM)StripesInSuffolk Wrote: I think that's the core of my disagreement.  I think kicking the FG is equivalent to surrendering the momentum.  It does represent a mathematical advantage as a three-score lead, but I don't think it does very much to affect the Ravens' attitude about potentially coming back.

Yes, but the crowd isn't back on their feet screaming if you kick a FG.  It's called picking your battles.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(09-27-2015, 07:32 PM)PDub80 Wrote: He was burnt like toast. So, get some butter out for the guy. Steve Smith treated DreK like he dropped the soap in a prison shower scene from the show OZ.

No. He didn't.

Sure. Smith caught a TD against Kirkpatrick. But in no way did Steve Smith burn Kirkpatrick.

Direct your attention to how the Bengals play on defense to better understand how Steve Smith played and who he burned/beat in the slot.
Reply/Quote
I can agree with gripes about the clock management. That's been a theme of Marvin's entire tenure though so what else is new.
Reply/Quote
(09-27-2015, 06:51 PM)EatonFan Wrote: I thought he made the catch in the field of play and became a runner.  He then broke the plane and it should have been a TD.  The announcers were almost giddy about it not being a catch.'

That said I do not understand the call by Marvin.  Should have lined up with a hard count and tried to draw them offsides.  Once that worked or not, you kick the FG to go up three scores.  If you're successful on the hard count, it's a first down and we punch it in.
Remember, this is Marvelous Rolleyes Marvin, game & clock manager extraordinaire, who must have been absent when they taught these things at Coaches R Us. Tongue
Reply/Quote
I am absolutely pissed off that we let these turds hang around as long as we did. It's inexcusable. I hope the team is just as pissed.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote