Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Is it time to give Lou some props?
(09-27-2021, 12:37 AM)CarolinaBengalFanGuy Wrote: Definitely an improvement, but we have gone against 3 bad offensive lines so I want to see them do good against a stronger line. Definitely going to need Waynes back before we start hitting those teams

Cleveland probably has the best OL in the league so going against them twice will be very telling on whether or not this defense is legit.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(09-27-2021, 12:40 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Cleveland probably has the best OL in the league so going against them twice will be very telling on whether or not this defense is legit.

Yep I still think Baker is a mediocre QB feasting behind monster talent around him.
Reply/Quote
(09-27-2021, 12:37 AM)CarolinaBengalFanGuy Wrote: Definitely an improvement, but we have gone against 3 bad offensive lines so I want to see them do good against a stronger line. Definitely going to need Waynes back before we start hitting those teams

Yup, if the team comes out and gives Rodgers fits and gets him on the ground like they did with Ben today, it's time to get excited. Like to see how they do against Jackson and Baltimore too with his ability to escape and create.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(09-27-2021, 12:34 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Oh he looks bad, no doubt. He’s not the only rookie QB that looks like ass so far though. Tongue

Lawrence looks really uncomfortable. It also doesn't help that his head coach is treating the NFL like it is college. Taking Robinson off the field for Carlos Hyde and just horrible decisions that keep putting the team in bad situations. It's forcing Lawence to have to do too much, and he's making mistakes. Long term (after Meyer has his next retirement due to health concerns around week 6) I think he'll be okay. 

(09-27-2021, 12:35 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Yeah Fields wasn't ready and the team is atrocious.

The Bears just caved to fan pressure.

Yup, he isn't ready and is quickly learning the NFL is a different game from college. All rookie QBs struggle, but this struggle looks worse then most.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(09-27-2021, 12:47 AM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Lawrence looks really uncomfortable. It also doesn't help that his head coach is treating the NFL like it is college. Taking Robinson off the field for Carlos Hyde and just horrible decisions that keep putting the team in bad situations. It's forcing Lawence to have to do too much, and he's making mistakes. Long term (after Meyer has his next retirement due to health concerns around week 6) I think he'll be okay. 

Yup, he isn't ready and is quickly learning the NFL is a different game from college. All rookie QBs struggle, but this struggle looks worse then most.

There was already talk of him going to the USC Trojans and he had only coached like one nfl game.
Reply/Quote
(09-27-2021, 12:47 AM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Lawrence looks really uncomfortable. It also doesn't help that his head coach is treating the NFL like it is college. Taking Robinson off the field for Carlos Hyde and just horrible decisions that keep putting the team in bad situations. It's forcing Lawence to have to do too much, and he's making mistakes. Long term (after Meyer has his next retirement due to health concerns around week 6) I think he'll be okay. 

Meyer is terrible at this level. He'll have a health issue soon, I agree. Any time the fire gets hot (usually some sort of impending scandal), he "gets ill" and skips town.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(09-26-2021, 10:13 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: They've shut down 3 teams that love to run the football, control the LOS and dictate the flow of the game.  You don't think those were worthy opponents?

Not to mention 2 of the 3 were playoff teams last year.
Reply/Quote
Yes I will give Lou props.

Hell, I gave Turner props when they turned the running game around in the middle of '19.

And I try to do the same with players. To many fans take a position on a coach or player and then refuse to change. A good example is Andre Smith. No one will deny he looked like a complete but his first two season. But when he turned it around and started playing well a lot of fans still called him garbage.
Reply/Quote

After watching him at OSU I felt horrible when I heard he was gonna start today. He  is not good at getting the ball out quickly against the blitz and with that OL vs DL matchup I knew he was gonna get killed. Nagy did nothing to help him out. He needs OL help and a better coach.
Reply/Quote
(09-27-2021, 12:41 AM)CarolinaBengalFanGuy Wrote: Yep I still think Baker is a mediocre QB feasting behind monster talent around him.

I have never understood why Mayfield gets so much hate. 

He was an elite player in college for three seasons.

His rookie season he stepped into an 0-16 team and almost got them to .500 (7-8-1) while breaking the rookie record for passing tds.  He had a bit of a slump his second season, but last year he had a 96 passer rating with 26 td and only 8 ints.

Mayfield is legit.
Reply/Quote
(09-27-2021, 12:35 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Yeah Fields wasn't ready and the team is atrocious.

The Bears just caved to fan pressure.

Nagy has said all along that when Dalton is healthy he is still the starter.

Fields has the toold to have a much greater career than Dalton, but right now he is not as good.
Reply/Quote
(09-27-2021, 11:34 AM)fredtoast Wrote: I have never understood why Mayfield gets so much hate. 

He was an elite player in college for three seasons.

His rookie season he stepped into an 0-16 team and almost got them to .500 (7-8-1) while breaking the rookie record for passing tds.  He had a bit of a slump his second season, but last year he had a 96 passer rating with 26 td and only 8 ints.

Mayfield is legit.

People just don't like him because he comes off as a prick. He came off as a prick coming out of college, he came off as a prick when he was throwing shade at the Bengals coaches and fans. But, he does a lot for our veterans, even to the point of getting in dutch with the coaches because he's signing things for them at camp when he's supposed to be on the field. I really didn't like him before I found out all the things he does. He's ok, and he's a good QB.
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2021, 08:54 PM)jason Wrote: I'm gonna have to see it against a good team first, but so far so good.

Vikings have the #4 offense in the NFL and Cousins has a 118 passer rating.

We held them to season lows in both points and yards despite playing an extra OT period.
Reply/Quote
(09-26-2021, 07:15 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: The defense is really coming together this season.  This was the third straight strong performance, despite the secondary being down their "money" CB.  The DL, LBs, and Safeties have been doing a tremendous job.  The entire unit finally seems like they're on the same page.

As for me, I'm going to have to take back some of the negative things and abhorrent thoughts that I've had about Lou Anarumo, over the previous two seasons.  What say the rest of you?

Defense has been solid all year so far....

If we get the same consistency on the other side of the ball..  We might see a winning season
Reply/Quote
Is it just me or is WJ3 looking like a Jinx...
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(09-27-2021, 11:43 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Vikings have the #4 offense in the NFL and Cousins has a 118 passer rating.

We held them to season lows in both points and yards despite playing an extra OT period.

Yeah. That's pretty good. I think I need to readjust the way I look at some things too. We gave up a ton of yards that game it seems... But defenses giving up 400 yards seems like it's becoming commonplace.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(09-27-2021, 12:43 PM)Synric Wrote: Is it just me or is WJ3 looking like a Jinx...

It's not just you.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(09-27-2021, 11:37 AM)Sled21 Wrote: People just don't like him because he comes off as a prick. He came off as a prick coming out of college, he came off as a prick when he was throwing shade at the Bengals coaches and fans.

This.

BTW I am not saying he is NOT an arrogant prick.  I am just saying he is a very good QB.

(09-27-2021, 11:37 AM)Sled21 Wrote:  But, he does a lot for our veterans, even to the point of getting in dutch with the coaches because he's signing things for them at camp when he's supposed to be on the field. I really didn't like him before I found out all the things he does. He's ok, and he's a good QB.

Good for him.

I like to see arrogant pricks performing acts of kindness.

All joking aside, props to him for devoting his time to vets.
Reply/Quote
(09-27-2021, 11:37 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Nagy has said all along that when Dalton is healthy he is still the starter.

Fields has the toold to have a much greater career than Dalton, but right now he is not as good.

Agreed. He has the tools. That's why he was taken where he was. Time will tell how good he'll be, but the word before he touched the field was he wasn't close to ready, and it certainly looks like that was an accurate assessment.

Btw, I know we're supposed to make it clear that Dalton was mediocre and all, but the truth is that Dalton had a better career than most 1st rounders who "had better tools" than him.

The guy has a legit shot at 40k yards, 3 Pro Bowls, 5 playoff appearances, multiple player on the month awards, and without looking it up, I want to say he's among the top 20 in passer rating for career.

That's not to say Fields won't take the job. I think Dalton has transitioned into being a stop-gap QB at this stage. I'm just saying that Fields should consider himself lucky if he has Dalton's career.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Yes.

I am not a fan of system coaches generally. I think you you coach what you got. But 9nce Lou has gotten his type of guys in there, it has looked a lot better. Health has helped some, especially on the DL, but we still are not whole (Waynes, Ossai).
Reply/Quote