Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is it time to move on from Burfict?
- He'll turn 29 early next season
- He's missed 37 games out of 80 (46%) over the last 5 seasons
- 7+ concussions
- Always a suspension risk (forgone conclusion, really)
- Looked like a shell of himself last year
- New coaching staff (and hopefully attitude) incoming
- He has a cap hit of $8.6 million in 2019
- Spotrac shows his dead money shrinks to $1.8 million this year, if he's cut.

No brainer to cut him?
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Yes. Don't burden a new coach with this.
Reply/Quote
I answered this post two years ago.
Reply/Quote
With Marvin gone I don't think there is anything really keeping him here at this point.
Reply/Quote
yes
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Probably should have cut him after 15
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
No he’s awesome and anyone that thinks otherwise is not a true fan.
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2019, 04:06 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: Probably should have cut him after 15

Had a really good 2016 and a down, but still good 2017.

Only this year was he not himself.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
Yes.

Reply/Quote
(01-04-2019, 04:13 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Had a really good 2016 and a down, but still good 2017.

Only this year was he not himself.

You're right but from a leader stand point he was never the guy we needed him to be.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
He looked like shit, but I'm still leary of getting rid of him just yet. I say bring him to camp, and see what happens. I don't know what his deal was this year, but I always wondered if not playing in preseason is part of it. Let him compete for his spot thou. If he can't make it a game without being concussed or still looks spent, then move on.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
I believe his contract in based off incentives. So if he doesn't play he doesn't get paid. Also his trade value is very low right now. So no, I wouldn't move on from him. Especially with how bad all our other LB's are. Give him a shot to start a season not suspended and see how he does. This guy was the leader of our defense for a long time.
Reply/Quote
Buh-bye as a player...cut and offer salary as a coach. I don't think any team other than the Raiders would want him.
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2019, 04:06 PM)motoarch Wrote: No he’s awesome and anyone that thinks otherwise is not a true fan.

[Image: ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fmedia.giphy.com%2Fmedia...hy.gif&f=1]
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2019, 03:49 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: - He'll turn 29 early next season
- He's missed 37 games out of 80 (46%) over the last 5 seasons
- 7+ concussions
- Always a suspension risk (forgone conclusion, really)
- Looked like a shell of himself last year
- New coaching staff (and hopefully attitude) incoming
- He has a cap hit of $8.6 million in 2019
- Spotrac shows his dead money shrinks to $1.8 million this year, if he's cut.

No brainer to cut him?

Pretty crazy as Burfict used to be my favorite LB'er but i think he is done.

Would be a good coach for somebody like Paulie G...

Heck i would take him as our LB'er coach over Haslett.
Reply/Quote
Everyone who gets cut is going to go to the Patriots and come back to haunt you.
Reply/Quote
I'm not a physician; I just play one on an internet message board.

Poor play, penalties, and suspensions aside, it may very well be in his best interest not to play anymore anyway. While I've been frustrated with him plenty during his career (and, to be fair, awed by him at times), I still want the guy to have a decent quality of life after his career ends. He's virtually guaranteed to suffer another concussion considering his style of play. Is it even worth it?
Reply/Quote
Yes I’m afraid so. It has gotten to the point where he can’t be relied on and his play has dropped off drastically.
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2019, 04:32 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Buh-bye as a player...cut and offer salary as a coach. I don't think any team other than the Raiders would want him.

Why would a cheat, cheap shot artist, that has zero discipline make a good coach? I wish someone would explain this when they leave this comment.
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2019, 04:23 PM)Weazzel80 Wrote: I believe his contract in based off incentives. So if he doesn't play he doesn't get paid. Also his trade value is very low right now. So no, I wouldn't move on from him. Especially with how bad all our other LB's are. Give him a shot to start a season not suspended and see how he does. This guy was the leader of our defense for a long time.

That $8.6 million cap hit is what I'm worried about. If we keep him, that's money that didn't get spent elsewhere to improve the team. Whether he hits his Pro-Bowl escalator or active per game escalators is irrelevant to that point. It doesn't affect his cap hit. 

This would be a harder decision if he hadn't missed nearly half his games over the last 5 years. Or if he wasn't so bad last year. Or if he wasn't such a dark cloud over the team. It'll be hard to set a fresh new direction with the stench of old problems still lingering in the form of Burfict still on the roster.

I get that he was the leader of the defense for awhile, but I'd say we need a more reliable leader.
Reply/Quote