Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is it time to move on from Burfict?
(01-04-2019, 04:35 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote:
Pretty crazy as Burfict used to be my favorite LB'er
but i think he is done.

Would be a good coach for somebody like Paulie G...

Heck i would take him as our LB'er coach over Haslett.

Same here. He was maybe my favorite player. Had him as my avatar for a good while. 

I'm always team first though. It's time to move on.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2019, 04:34 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: [Image: ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fmedia.giphy.com%2Fmedia...hy.gif&f=1]

Wasn’t directed at you or anyone particular. I’ve been told this more than once when suggesting this idea. The difference is I’ve been suggesting this for years now.
Reply/Quote
I am personally ready to move on from Burfict. He has not been himself and is a sore for PR regarding the Bengals. He doesn't bring anything like he did in the past. Bengals need a whole lot of change at backer position.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
There's guys you plan around and guys you plan for. He's become a guy you plan around with the regular suspensions and injury time. If hes around, great... But don't plan for him to be there.

If he's on the roster next season, great. Hell have a few positive moments. Just don't think of him as the solution and enjoy when he has a good game.
Reply/Quote
It beyond time. The time to cut him was 3 years ago
Reply/Quote
Yes it's time to move on and for several reasons. It wouldn't surprise me at all if the doctors don't tell him he basically has to retire.

This team badly needs to go in a new direction and cutting players who aren't getting it done (for various reasons) is a great way to send a message that the times they be a changing.
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2019, 04:47 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: Why would a cheat, cheap shot artist, that has zero discipline make a good coach? I wish someone would explain this when they leave this comment.

Bill Belichick is a liar and a cheater. Pretty damn good coach. Fairly simple.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2019, 03:49 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: - He'll turn 29 early next season
- He's missed 37 games out of 80 (46%) over the last 5 seasons
- 7+ concussions
- Always a suspension risk (forgone conclusion, really)
- Looked like a shell of himself last year
- New coaching staff (and hopefully attitude) incoming
- He has a cap hit of $8.6 million in 2019
- Spotrac shows his dead money shrinks to $1.8 million this year, if he's cut.

No brainer to cut him?

I think no brainer to have him high on the cut list due to concussions alone.

The question becomes, do we gain anything by cutting him now or at certain dates? If not, why not wait to cut him after training camp unless he looks like pro bowl Burfict in camp or mini camps.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
- 7+ concussions

No brainer to cut him?

I think with the 7 concussions he might be done anyway
Reply/Quote
As much as I loved Burfict, I think for the sake of his health it might be time for him to hang them up. I think the hit from JuJu did far more damage than anyone realizes. It might explain the drop-off in his play this year.
Reply/Quote
I think it's time to move on.....for both parties.

However, as others have mentioned, it might not be a bad idea to let him compete in camp if it doesn't effect the cap if he's cut in time.  If we don't get the LB ship righted by the time camp rolls around, you may have no choice.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(01-04-2019, 04:21 PM)jason Wrote: He looked like shit, but I'm still leary of getting rid of him just yet. I say bring him to camp, and see what happens. I don't know what his deal was this year, but I always wondered if not playing in preseason is part of it. Let him compete for his spot thou. If he can't make it a game without being concussed or still looks spent, then move on.

According to this, https://overthecap.com/player/vontaze-burfict/208/  ,they can move Burfict with less than $2M in dead money, and have a cap savings of nearly $7M.  From a business standpoint, seems like a no-brainer.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2019, 04:41 PM)34inXXIII Wrote: I'm not a physician; I just play one on an internet message board.

Poor play, penalties, and suspensions aside, it may very well be in his best interest not to play anymore anyway. While I've been frustrated with him plenty during his career (and, to be fair, awed by him at times), I still want the guy to have a decent quality of life after his career ends. He's virtually guaranteed to suffer another concussion considering his style of play. Is it even worth it?

Well....I AM  physician and I agree entirely.   What you start seeing when a player is getting to the end with concussions is when the same amount of injury occurs with progressively more minor impacts.   And that's what we are seeing with Burfict.  he is getting dinged with pretty mundane collisions over the past couple of years.   I can remember Moose Johnston finally calling it quits after his 9th concussion where he wasn't even hit in the head-- just taken to the ground.  I think Troy Aikman (might have been another QB) was the same-- his last concussion was a run of the mill sack with barely any head impact.  We've seen Burfict run dazed to the sideline after pretty routine tackles past 2 years, sometimes he would return sometimes not.     It's time to move on for his own sake.
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2019, 06:52 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: According to this, https://overthecap.com/player/vontaze-burfict/208/  ,they can move Burfict with less than $2M in dead money, and have a cap savings of nearly $7M.  From a business standpoint, seems like a no-brainer.

I get it, but what are they gonna do with that money? New coach or not, the front office is the same. If they have a stud to replace him, maybe... But I'm cool on signing the next Minter, Hawk, Dansby, or Preston Brown for that matter. I'm really ok with 1st round LB, Vigil, and Burfict at LB next year... If he can make the team.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
Just read the Steelers let go LB Coach, Joey Porter. Maybe the Bengals can hire him to turn Burfict around!
Reply/Quote
- 7+ concussions

No brainer to cut him?

I don't think he'll have to be cut.   I think someone will get through to him and convince him to retire.  Seven concussions, two this year?   That's the real no brainer.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(01-04-2019, 07:27 PM)jason Wrote: I get it, but what are they gonna do with that money? New coach or not, the front office is the same. If they have a stud to replace him, maybe... But I'm cool on signing the next Minter, Hawk, Dansby, or Preston Brown for that matter. I'm really ok with 1st round LB, Vigil, and Burfict at LB next year... If he can make the team.

It took me some serious reckoning to accept the fact that The Super Destroyer was never going to be himself, again.  Perhaps they can convince him to retire, get his contract off the books, and cut him a nice retirement bonus check?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Easily. He was bad this year. Throw in the concussions and numerous things he's done; get him out.

He has been going downhill these past few years. Move on from him and draft a linebacker.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2019, 04:41 PM)34inXXIII Wrote: I'm not a physician; I just play one on an internet message board.

Poor play, penalties, and suspensions aside, it may very well be in his best interest not to play anymore anyway. While I've been frustrated with him plenty during his career (and, to be fair, awed by him at times), I still want the guy to have a decent quality of life after his career ends. He's virtually guaranteed to suffer another concussion considering his style of play. Is it even worth it?

This. By all accounts the guy is a solid citizen off the field regardless of what fake thug like acting social media says.

Go live your life Tez

Brain>Tackles

Reply/Quote
(01-04-2019, 04:36 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Everyone who gets cut is going to go to the Patriots and come back to haunt you.

So????The Patriots haunt everyone.
Reply/Quote