Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is it too early?
(09-11-2016, 08:47 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Baloney, the guy looked worse than a developmental player. 

(09-11-2016, 08:54 PM)Joelist Wrote: If this were the first game where Bodine has made all these mental mistakes or if he were still a rookie it would be too early.

Yes, one game is too early.  Last year Bodine was our starting center for every game and the Bengals had one of the best pass protection O-lines in the league.  

Bodine may be the "weakest link" in our O-line, but that does not mean he is the worst OC in th eleague.  And our ENTIRE O-line looked like crap today.  People who claim all the blame falls on Bodine are crazy.
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2016, 09:32 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Yes, one game is too early.  Last year Bodine was our starting center for every game and the Bengals had one of the best pass protection O-lines in the league.  

Bodine may be the "weakest link" in our O-line, but that does not mean he is the worst OC in th eleague.  And our ENTIRE O-line looked like crap today.  People who claim all the blame falls on Bodine are crazy.

Totally agree, he also had a nice seal block on Hill's TD but i guess we just forget about anything good.  The line just played bad across the board, we also have no idea on some of the line calls, I saw a screen and Bodine did let his guy go but it was blow up quick, so again not sure if he was at fault totally or the scheme... 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Do you remember a short time ago that Alexander was miffed about the press' view of Bodine. He threw a mini-hissy fit and said Bodine will be very good and that his only problem is that he is young.
Reply/Quote
Cincinnati lost the battle in the trenches on both sides of the ball today. In the battle of the trenches, the low man wins every time and the Bengals' lines -- both offensive and defensive -- got "stood up" by the Jets today. The fix is simple: Keep the pad level as low as possible and keep the top of the shoulders pointing forward so those big guys up front can move the opposing big guys at will. It's all about the technique and today the Jets stayed lower than Cincinnati did.
Reply/Quote
All I know is I haven't had the chance to watch the game yet but by the time I got home from my gig and turned on my computer there was already an article out mentioning that he played very poorly.

I do realize that he was playing a stud D-line today.
Reply/Quote
Let's try this from another angle.

People hated Nugent in the preseason and wanted a new kicker. Wanted Margus Hunt cut. Couldn't understand what the coaches saw in either.

Now we know why they kept them.

Let's wait and see why the coaches seem to have faith in him. Maybe a big part of today was the quality of the jets DL....or the rushing scheme they had. Zeiteler looked pretty bad at times too. I don't hear anyone calling for his benching.

I, for one will trust the coaches on this one.
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2016, 11:21 PM)Beaker Wrote: Let's try this from another angle.

People hated Nugent in the preseason and wanted a new kicker. Wanted Margus Hunt cut. Couldn't understand what the coaches saw in either.

Now we know why they kept them.

Let's wait and see why the coaches seem to have faith in him. Maybe a big part of today was the quality of the jets DL....or the rushing scheme they had. Zeiteler looked pretty bad at times too. I don't hear anyone calling for his benching.

I, for one will trust the coaches on this one.

C'mon man, don't give me that "Zeitler looked bad today, too" crap.  He's playing between Bodine on his left, and basically a stone cold rookie on his right.  Hard to not look bad on that side of the line.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2016, 09:32 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Yes, one game is too early.  Last year Bodine was our starting center for every game and the Bengals had one of the best pass protection O-lines in the league.  

Who are you trying to be, Otter from Animal House?  Get that weak defense out of here.  Bodine easily ranks among the worst Centers in the NFL..  Are we going to blame the entire American Football system over this?  No, we should put the blame squarely where it belongs, on Russell Bodine and Paul Alexander.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2016, 07:34 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote:   Bodine easily ranks among the worst Centers in the NFL..  

Based on what.

Message board drama queens who also claim Peko is the worst DT in the league, Maualuga is the worst LB in the league, and Kirkpatrick is the worst CB in the league?  Amazing how our defense can be so good when we have so mnay of the worst players in the leagus starting for us.

Seriously, what do you base your claim on that he is among the worst in the league?  How many NFL games do you watch per year?  How many pressures and sacks do every other Center in the league allow?

Again, let me make it clear that I am not saying Bodine is a great player, but it seems like there is a certain group of people here who love nothing more than calling Bengal players the worst in the league.  I have no idea why they get of on being so negative.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2016, 07:39 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Based on what.

Message board drama queens who also claim Peko is the worst DT in the league, Maualuga is the worst LB in the league, and Kirkpatrick is the worst CB in the league?  Amazing how our defense can be so good when we have so mnay of the worst players in the leagus starting for us.

Seriously, what do you base your claim on that he is among the worst in the league?  How many NFL games do you watch per year?  How many pressures and sacks do every other Center in the league allow?

Again, let me make it clear that I am not saying Bodine is a great player, but it seems like there is a certain group of people here who love nothing more than calling Bengal players the worst in the league.  I have no idea why they get of on being so negative.

According to PFF, Bodine gave up the 5th most pressures of any Center in the NFL last season.  After yesterday's performance, I'd say he's got a head start on winning the cup this year.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2016, 07:50 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: According to PFF, Bodine gave up the 5th most pressures of any Center in the NFL last season. 

I don't think that is right.  Do you have a link?
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2016, 07:55 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I don't think that is right.  Do you have a link?

I stated a fact by a reputable source.  It's up to you to prove that it isn't true.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2016, 07:55 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I don't think that is right.  Do you have a link?

Here you go. Its not the exact words your looking for (so don't spin that) but:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-offseason-to-do-list-for-the-cincinnati-bengals/

Quote: A big concern remains at center, where Russell Bodine fell from 14th in pass-blocking efficiency in 2014 to 25th in 2015, allowing 30 total pressures in 571 pass-blocking snaps. He also committed nine penalties in 2015, which was third-most among centers. 

I too know that I saw the exact thing Sunset is talking about, written somewhere.

And Fred, stop it; Boling and Whitworth were more than fine yesterday, Ogbuehi was ok; Zeitler and Bodine were garbage and it was only them.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
I remember the day this was posted. Never agreed more with anything ever posted on the world wide web.

http://www.cincyjungle.com/2016/8/19/12552658/russell-bodine-is-awful-pff-agrees

One particular glaring tidbit:

"The graders at Pro Football Focus have had Bodine ranked near the bottom of their rankings in each of his first two seasons. The only guys who’ve ranked worse have typically been backups thrust into a starting role because of injury to the starter, such as Cody Wallace in Pittsburgh or Trevor Robinson in San Diego."
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2016, 08:14 PM)JumboTron Wrote: I remember the day this was posted.  Never agreed more with anything ever posted on the world wide web.

http://www.cincyjungle.com/2016/8/19/12552658/russell-bodine-is-awful-pff-agrees

Ba-bang!
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2016, 08:12 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Here you go. Its not the exact words your looking for (so don't spin that) but:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-offseason-to-do-list-for-the-cincinnati-bengals/

I too know that I saw the exact thing Sunset is talking about, written somewhere.

And Fred, stop it; Boling and Whitworth were more than fine yesterday, Ogbuehi was ok; Zeitler and Bodine were garbage and it was only them.

(09-12-2016, 08:14 PM)JumboTron Wrote: I remember the day this was posted.  Never agreed more with anything ever posted on the world wide web.

One particular glaring tidbit:

"The graders at Pro Football Focus have had Bodine ranked near the bottom of their rankings in each of his first two seasons. The only guys who’ve ranked worse have typically been backups thrust into a starting role because of injury to the starter, such as Cody Wallace in Pittsburgh or Trevor Robinson in San Diego."

(09-12-2016, 08:18 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Ba-bang!

So, what sayeth the fredtoadst?

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2016, 09:48 PM)James Brooks Wrote: Do you remember a short time ago that Alexander was miffed about the press' view of Bodine. He threw a mini-hissy fit and said Bodine will be very good and that his only problem is that he is young.

Let me say this bodine is pretty bad so far. But he also is very young still hes less than a year younger than ryan kelly who just came out in the league.
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2016, 07:30 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: To post a thread bashing Bodine?  The guy was literally a turnstile today, on one particular play I watched him turning his head each direction, as he watched Jets DLmen blow right by.  And, if I have to continue to see him turn to look at Andy, under a pile, with his hands on his freakin' hips, I may just have to jump through the TV screen and sling his ass by his facemask.

Hes our starting center for 2016 no matter how much we complain.

Lets not act like the jets don't have a DL that is as good or better than ours  cause they do.  Also I wouldn't recommend trying that while it looks easy to push him around...  Hes a big strong dude.  but bodine does need to improve.  we need a Center consultant.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2016, 08:24 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: So, what sayeth the fredtoadst?

[Image: cricket_meme_chirp_chirp.gif]

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
Bodine = weakest link
Reply/Quote