Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is the fact that AJ Mccarron hasn't been traded yet maddening to anyone else?
(03-02-2017, 02:42 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Romo Might decide to try his luck elsewhere.

Forgot about him. Still rather have AJ than an aging veteran with back problems who's barely played the last 2 years. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(03-02-2017, 04:29 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Duke Tobin has been completely Bengalized. My God, be more mediocre. 

It's kind of laughable that they don't know if he will be unrestricted or restricted. How can you plan based on that?

If he's Restricted, then keeping him another year isn't such a huge deal as if someone signs him...you get draft pick compensation.
Reply/Quote
QBs are going for a mint in the NFL these days. The money and picks thrown around to get guys who even have a chance of being decent is absurd. Oh well, why trade McCarron when we can imagine getting a high comp pick for him and then get all "disappointed but not surprised" when we get something low.

So I'm thinking he walks and we get something like a 4th round comp pick for him and we draft some oft-injured player Marvin refuses to play that we won't be able to judge until his 4th year in the league. So...I guess we wait 6 or so years before we see how this plays out. I'm giddy.
Reply/Quote
(02-27-2017, 02:49 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: And by maddening, I mean COMPLETELY maddening?

The Bengals have a freaking BACKUP quarterback that can be dealt to pickup an extra second round, third round, or some solid combination of draft picks and or talent this year and they just refuse to cash in on it.

They have one of the best trade chips in the league and they continue to sit on their hands. This team has so many holes and they are valuing a BACKUP quarterback more highly than a nice draft pick that can possibly come in here and make an immediate impact. Its ridiculous.

If they dont trade Mccarron this year to try and improve the team then it will be one of the worst decisions this franchise has made in recent memory.

Not yet. If they were offered something good like a 2nd rounder and said no i would be going a little mad.

You are right though, if they don't get something for the guy it would be terribly stupid.
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2017, 07:46 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Not yet. If they were offered something good like a 2nd rounder and said no i would be going a little mad.

You are right though, if they don't get something for the guy it would be terribly stupid.

It is a bit of a one-two punch that a team that isn't active in free agency doesn't seem too terribly interested in moving a backup QB for some high-round draft picks.  Lordy, sometimes I think if the draft were optional Hobspin would be writing articles about how building a roster only with other teams' castoffs made for a savvy and better squad.
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2017, 08:50 PM)Nately120 Wrote: It is a bit of a one-two punch that a team that isn't active in free agency doesn't seem too terribly interested in moving a backup QB for some high-round draft picks.  Lordy, sometimes I think if the draft were optional Hobspin would be writing articles about how building a roster only with other teams' castoffs made for a savvy and better squad.

No shit, this is the maddening part man.

If they value the draft so much you would think they would like more quality draft picks.

Also would be nice if the coaches could coach the draft picks up quickly, that way it might actually work.

If you just ignore FA you better be damn good at the draft and coaching up those picks.

It is like lying all the time, you better have a damn good memory.
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2017, 08:50 PM)Nately120 Wrote: It is a bit of a one-two punch that a team that isn't active in free agency doesn't seem too terribly interested in moving a backup QB for some high-round draft picks.  Lordy, sometimes I think if the draft were optional Hobspin would be writing articles about how building a roster only with other teams' castoffs made for a savvy and better squad.

Implying we would get a high round draft pick for McCarron. I don't think anyone would give anything over a 3rd for him.
Reply/Quote
According to this, it would take a second rounder to get AJ from us.

I have a hard time seeing that happen, but I'd be happy with it if it did.
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2017, 10:20 PM)Shady Wrote: According to this, it would take a second rounder to get AJ from us.

I have a hard time seeing that happen, but I'd be happy with it if it did.

I would take a 3rd and be happy about it.

It is not like he is going to take us to the Playoffs if Andy goes down.

If Andy goes down it is likely to be because of the O-line.

Andy has a quick release, AJM does not and holds onto the ball. He will not help us, get something for him.
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2017, 10:28 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I would take a 3rd and be happy about it.

It is not like he is going to take us to the Playoffs if Andy goes down.

If Andy goes down it is likely to be because of the O-line.

Andy has a quick release, AJM does not and holds onto the ball. He will not help us, get something for him.

I'd take a 3 and run with it. There will still be some talented players in the third of this draft. If we don't take Fournette, a guy like Mixon could fall to the third. The third would also be a good round to draft Oline, if not the 2nd, or both. We'll have to see how things play out with Z and Whit. 
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2017, 10:43 PM)Shady Wrote: I'd take a 3 and run with it. There will still be some talented players in the third of this draft. If we don't take Fournette, a guy like Mixon could fall to the third. The third would also be a good round to draft Oline, if not the 2nd, or both. We'll have to see how things play out with Z and Whit. 

For sure, Raekwon McMillan, Anyone of the top 4 Centers should be there, Taylor Moton a raw, talented OT, 
Nazair Jones the DT out of NC, Mixon who i like as a player a lot but don't care for as a man, Kamara, Gallman
i like more cause they don't deck women lol.

Josh Reynolds the WR out of Texas A&M could be special.

Should be some really good Guards in the 3rd round.

FA is the determining factor no doubt Shady.
Reply/Quote
Well OBVIOUSLY he's worth the moon the stars and the sun and more.. Unfortunately no team in the league actually has the moon the stars and the sun under contract to trade.. it doesn't make sense to trade away the only person capable of taking over in the event of injury to Dalton, but what the heck.. Trade your known backup QB for a few backup benchwarmers..  That's always money in the bank.  
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(03-04-2017, 11:06 AM)grampahol Wrote: Well OBVIOUSLY he's worth the moon the stars and the sun and more.. Unfortunately no team in the league actually has the moon the stars and the sun under contract to trade.. it doesn't make sense to trade away the only person capable of taking over in the event of injury to Dalton, but what the heck.. Trade your known backup QB for a few backup benchwarmers..  That's always money in the bank.  

AJM will be gone after next year, he will walk away and we will get nothing for him if you have your way Gramps.

AJM will not help us if Dalton gets injured. The O-line will most likely be the reason if Dalton gets injured.

McCarron holds onto the ball way too long, he would be a sitting duck. He got sacked twice as much as Dalton
comparably when he started for us with a better O-line. We could get a talented Center for him that would help
this team much more than a backup QB riding the bench.
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2017, 11:06 AM)grampahol Wrote: Well OBVIOUSLY he's worth the moon the stars and the sun and more.. Unfortunately no team in the league actually has the moon the stars and the sun under contract to trade.. it doesn't make sense to trade away the only person capable of taking over in the event of injury to Dalton, but what the heck.. Trade your known backup QB for a few backup benchwarmers..  That's always money in the bank.  

We should hang on to the backup QB when the roster resembles swiss cheese. That's a sure bet. Mellow

Btw...McCarron was 2-3 in his games after the Bengals started 10-2 under Dalton. McCarron ain't saving anything. He was 0-3 vs winning teams.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Silly question. The Bengals rightly value McCarron highly. Nobody is going to pay what they would want for him until everything else sorts out and they're forced to.
Reply/Quote
Looks like the AJM haters are still at it, all this time after a playoff game from the 2015 season....

AJM didn't get knocked unconscious and fumble, Gio did.

AJM didn't drop an INT on the 5-yard line that hit him in the face, Vinnie Rey did.

AJM didn't fumble the ball away with the lead, Hill did.

AJM didn't get a 15-yard targeting penalty, Burfict did.

AJM didn't get a 15-yard unsportsmanlike for yapping with Porter, Jones did.

All AJM did was ring up a 97.1 regular season rating (even with all those sacks) and throw what should have been a game-winning TD pass, in Cincy, vs the Steelers, in the rain, in a playoff game, and because this team is full of undisciplined choke artists it canceled out what a clutch winner put on a golden platter for this franchise.

Yeah it was a rain game. Yeah it was low scoring. Yeah AJM lost a fumble because Jarvis Jones collapsed the pocket and swatted his arm in < 2.3 seconds. So what.

He had a chance to throw the whole team under the bus after he put them in position to win and the Bengals, as always, with this coach, with these bonehead players (that you all love, while downplaying the work of winners) found a way to choke. He had a chance to put salt in the wound of all the haters and "fans" with orange pubic hairs in their teeth and at least take credit for putting the team up late.

He didn't.

Quote:Do you think some of your teammates lost their poise at the end of the game?

“I’m not here to throw shade at anyone. We win together and lose together. It doesn’t matter if someone lost their poise or didn’t — we win together and lose together. We need to have each other’s back through this process. That’s the best way to take the biggest step into next year to becoming the team we can be. If we use this time to point fingers at each other, we’re taking steps back as a team, and we don’t need that.”

The reason this team will continue to lose and choke in the playoffs is because neither the front office nor the fans can recognize or hold onto winners. You don't need a whole team of them, but put Burfict and Pacman on the Patriots in 2015 and Belichick would refuse to play them for being undisciplined. Put Tom Brady on an offense whose RBs fumble it away twice in a playoff game vs. Roethlisberger who takes care of the ball and he won't win either.

Boo hoo, AJM averaged 3 sacks/game to start his NFL career. Andy Dalton averaged 2.56 sacks/game last year and he's been in the league a long time.

If Jeremy Hill holds onto the ball or if Marvin calls QB kneels instead of dive plays, the entire conversation and perspective on AJM would be 100% different in Bengal-land. You would respect him for getting that playoff W over the Steelers in Cincy.

As it stands you disrespect him because of the failures of the TEAM, even though he was big enough not to throw shade on his teammates and coaches who threw the game away.

Yeah some of you need to go back and rewatch that film alright.............
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2017, 11:06 AM)grampahol Wrote:  it doesn't make sense to trade away the only person capable of taking over in the event of injury to Dalton, but what the heck.. Trade your known backup QB for a few backup benchwarmers..  That's always money in the bank.  

Bengals can't win with some fans.

They bash the Bengals for keeping McCarron and trying to win this year instead of looking to the future.  Then they turn around and bash the Bengals for not "going all in" in free agency to try and win immediately instead of looking to the future.
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2017, 05:18 AM)BigSeph Wrote: All AJM did was ring up a 97.1 regular season rating (even with all those sacks) and throw what should have been a game-winning TD pass, in Cincy, vs the Steelers, in the rain, in a playoff game, and because this team is full of undisciplined choke artists it canceled out what a clutch winner put on a golden platter for this franchise.

That's not all he did.  He also had 3 fumbles and a pick in the playoff game while averaging only 5 yards per attempt.

Look, Seph, I like McCarron.  I have no problem if the Bengals keep him as a backup this year (unless they get offered a really good deal).  But it is silly to act like McCarron is some great "winner" because he guided a couple of fourth quarter drives after sucking most of the game.  

If McCarron had some sort of winning magic we would have seen him win more regular season games.
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2017, 11:29 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Bengals can't win with some fans.

They bash the Bengals for keeping McCarron and trying to win this year instead of looking to the future.  Then they turn around and bash the Bengals for not "going all in" in free agency to try and win immediately instead of looking to the future.

Who has specifically said this? I'll wait.

Quote some posts and show me.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2017, 11:46 AM)fredtoast Wrote: That's not all he did.  He also had 3 fumbles and a pick in the playoff game while averaging only 5 yards per attempt.

Look, Seph, I like McCarron.  I have no problem if the Bengals keep him as a backup this year (unless they get offered a really good deal).  But it is silly to act like McCarron is some great "winner" because he guided a couple of fourth quarter drives after sucking most of the game.  

If McCarron had some sort of winning magic we would have seen him win more regular season games.

1) He lost 1 fumble when he was strip sacked after 2 seconds.  In the pouring rain.  The pick was a wounded duck, thrown in the pouring rain w/ no gloves.  Rookie mistake.

2) Roethlisberger "sucked" most of the game too, and could easily have had a fumble (Burfict sack) and an INT (the one that hit Rey in the face in the redzone).  But he's a veteran and didn't take many chances with the ball.

3) How many 4th quarter drives to put the Bengals ahead has Andy Dalton led in the playoffs?

4) You can't win games if you don't play.

He had the Bengals ahead @ Denver in a primetime game, they lost.  Eifert dropped a pass that hit him in the hands wide open on a big 3rd down, AJ Green quit on a route that would have been a TD late in the 4th.  Burfict got a stupid 15-yard penalty in OT.

Like I said, you put Tom Brady on this team with a coach like Marvin and players like Burfict and Jones and WRs and TEs quitting on routes and dropping passes that hit them in the hands and see what happens.  Tom Brady would lose his mind and scream at every single one of them, and guess what?  He'd lose the same games because he can't catch passes and he can't play defense.

You guys pin all this on AJM with zero context whatsoever, giving every other player a pass for their stupid bonehead plays and only remembering the result.  Context matters - if an offense puts up 60 points and loses because the defense allows 63, I don't see how you downplay what the QB did.

But you guys find a way, consistently.  Your post is a perfect synopsis of how it goes -you bring up all negatives and even when you admit a positive (he led a couple 4th quarter drives) you have to throw in an insult at the end (after sucking most of the game).

And then you imply that because AJM didn't win games, he's not a "winner."

He didn't drop passes, he didn't lose 2 fumbles in the playoff game, he didn't quit on routes, he didn't get stupid 15-yard penalties.  And he's not perfect either, he made mistakes.  But I and many others see a great deal of potential in AJM as a starting QB in the NFL, including other teams asking about him now, and the Bengals themselves who are unwilling to let him go for less than a 2nd.

They know what you have.  I know what you have.  Too bad the "fans" of this organization have no clue.  And it's because it takes more than a QB to win football games - the players you give a pass when it comes to context around AJM's losses, they share just as much if not more blame than AJM himself.

If Hill doesn't fumble, if Hue calls better plays, if Marvin calls for QB kneels, if Burfict or Jones had a few extra brain cells, if Whit blocks Jones for more than 2 seconds flat, you and everyone else looks at AJM a completely different way.

If Eifert doesn't drop a wide open 3rd down pass, if AJ Green doesn't quit on a route, if Burfict doesn't get yet another stupid 15-yard penalty in OT, you and everyone else looks at AJM a completely different way.

Win as a team, lose as a team.  But try to have a little context in your critiques.

AJM's not the greatest QB in the NFL, but he's good enough to be a starter.  Did he make mistakes when he played?  Absolutely.  Bad throws?  Yep.  Fumbled too much?  Sure.  Didn't get the ball out fast enough?  Absolutely.

But what QB in their 5th start in a rain game vs the Steelers defense is going to have perfect grip on the ball, make perfect reads, and have a snap-to-throw time of < 2 seconds?

None.  Not even the best QB in the world.
Reply/Quote