Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is the fact that AJ Mccarron hasn't been traded yet maddening to anyone else?
(03-01-2017, 01:02 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Good point, but if they draft a QB then arent we kind of eliminating the market for Mccarron? 

Doesn't matter. We are not going to get a top ten, or even a 1st round pick for McCarron. Let's face it, he was a 4th round pick who has played in just a few games. Don't get me wrong, I'm an AJ fan, but we just aren't going to get that much for him. Better to make the 4 teams ahead of us take their QB's in the draft, which will mean 4 of the elite prospects in the draft will still be there for us at #9 because those 4 teams had to draft for position instead of best player.
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2017, 11:09 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Defense holds one of the best offenses to 15 points (before the meltdown), forces multiple turnovers and short fields.

Offense scores 2 TDs the whole game vs one of the worst defenses. QB turns it over twice, fumbles 3 times, and has a rating of 68.

People credit the QB for "almost winning". Whatever

Had Mac led the offense to even 19 points, we would've won. 19 points isn't much to ask. But he's somehow a hero for scoring 16 points? Ok.

Don't forget that most of the points the Steelers did score were off turnovers, and both of the two TDs the Bengals scored were on drives that started on the Steelers side of the field.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2017, 01:37 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Doesn't matter. We are not going to get a top ten, or even a 1st round pick for McCarron. Let's face it, he was a 4th round pick who has played in just a few games. Don't get me wrong, I'm an AJ fan, but we just aren't going to get that much for him. Better to make the 4 teams ahead of us take their QB's in the draft, which will mean 4 of the elite prospects in the draft will still be there for us at #9 because those 4 teams had to draft for position instead of best player.

Maybe the Bengals will get lucky and Myles Garrett will have a picture posted of him wearing a gas mask.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2017, 01:53 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Don't forget that most of the points the Steelers did score were off turnovers, and both of the two TDs the Bengals scored were on drives that started on the Steelers side of the field.

And Dean Blandino said that the call that should have been made originally on the Martavis Bryant TD should have been not a TD.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Duke Tobin talking about McCarron:

“It rings and we pick it up,” Tobin said. “We’ll listen to whatever anybody is thinking. We are not actively trying to diminish our football team by trading AJ McCarron. Which that diminishes our football team. It has to be something we feel is valuable enough to warrant doing that.”

“We view our team as a team in the mix to challenge,” Tobin said speaking with reporters at the NFL Scouting Combine. “If you don’t have a viable No. 2 quarterback you can go to and win with you can tank your entire season. He’s a very valuable piece to what we do. If somebody wants to call and talk to us, call and talk to us. But they are going to find out we value AJ McCarron quite a bit.”

“There is some debate over whether he earned a season the first year,” he said. “We want to be respectful of his position and ultimately it will be decided by somebody other than AJ and the Cincinnati Bengals as to what is correct and what is not and we’ll go forward on that.”

“We are in the AJ McCarron business,” Tobin said. “He’s proven valuable. There’s going to have to be something pretty valuable for us to be out of that business."
Reply/Quote
(02-27-2017, 02:49 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: And by maddening, I mean COMPLETELY maddening?

The Bengals have a freaking BACKUP quarterback that can be dealt to pickup an extra second round, third round, or some solid combination of draft picks and or talent this year and they just refuse to cash in on it.

They have one of the best trade chips in the league and they continue to sit on their hands. This team has so many holes and they are valuing a BACKUP quarterback more highly than a nice draft pick that can possibly come in here and make an immediate impact. Its ridiculous.

If they dont trade Mccarron this year to try and improve the team then it will be one of the worst decisions this franchise has made in recent memory.

Not to me. McCarron is not high paid.  Plus looking at how stinking bad our O Line is shaping up to be in 2017,  our QBs are going to take a beating.  Protecting the QB doesn't look good at all, so we may need 4 or 5 QBs to get through this season. WE could have many QBs put in the hospital. Our blocking is looking that bad in all the players going free agent and the patch work band-aid O Line some fans think will be just fine.  Once they line up on the field in games, it won't be fine at all, and our QBs will get destroyed.  Once we lose Smith from last year and Whitworth and Zeitler this year, Bodine becomes our best O lineman, and that's just sad.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
That quote from Tobin is not very encouraging:

"A team that can be in the mix to challenge"? That's the goal? The goal SHOULD be to be second to none.

And with out usual dumpster diving offseason coming up don't act surprised when the OL implodes next season and we go 3-13...
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2017, 12:58 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: That game was all on the defense. They were unreal. 

It was something to see. FINALLY we had one side of the ball that showed up for an entire playoff game. All it took was 7 tries for one unit to show up.

(03-01-2017, 01:53 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Don't forget that most of the points the Steelers did score were off turnovers, and both of the two TDs the Bengals scored were on drives that started on the Steelers side of the field.

No doubt. McCarron and co provided as much for the Steelers as they did for their own team. It was a good ol' defensive slobber knocker as Lap would say.

(03-01-2017, 06:10 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Duke Tobin talking about McCarron:

“It rings and we pick it up,” Tobin said. “We’ll listen to whatever anybody is thinking. We are not actively trying to diminish our football team by trading AJ McCarron. Which that diminishes our football team. It has to be something we feel is valuable enough to warrant doing that.”

“We view our team as a team in the mix to challenge,” Tobin said speaking with reporters at the NFL Scouting Combine. “If you don’t have a viable No. 2 quarterback you can go to and win with you can tank your entire season. He’s a very valuable piece to what we do. If somebody wants to call and talk to us, call and talk to us. But they are going to find out we value AJ McCarron quite a bit.”

“There is some debate over whether he earned a season the first year,” he said. “We want to be respectful of his position and ultimately it will be decided by somebody other than AJ and the Cincinnati Bengals as to what is correct and what is not and we’ll go forward on that.”

“We are in the AJ McCarron business,” Tobin said. “He’s proven valuable. There’s going to have to be something pretty valuable for us to be out of that business."

Sounds to me like someone is trying to drive up the price and drum up interest for McCarron. This team has never valued the backup QB position. Even with injuries to Palmer, we had guys like Jordan Palmer, Josh Johnson, Bruce Gradkowski, JT O'Sullivan as backups. I'm not buying that they suddenly place heavy value on the backup. I believe Driskell was carried as a 3rd QB (the first time the team carried 3 QBs in several years) because they were preparing a backup to take over when/if McCarron gets traded.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2017, 08:05 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: It was something to see. FINALLY we had one side of the ball that showed up for an entire playoff game. All it took was 7 tries for one unit to show up.

No doubt. McCarron and co provided as much for the Steelers as they did for their own team. It was a good ol' defensive slobber knocker as Lap would say.

Sounds to me like someone is trying to drive up the price and drum up interest for McCarron. This team has never valued the backup QB position. Even with injuries to Palmer, we had guys like Jordan Palmer, Josh Johnson, Bruce Gradkowski, JT O'Sullivan as backups. I'm not buying that they suddenly place heavy value on the backup. I believe Driskell was carried as a 3rd QB (the first time the team carried 3 QBs in several years) because they were preparing a backup to take over when/if McCarron gets traded.

Yeah, if you combine Duke's statements with the news about Jimmy G...

...the asking price for McCarron could end being more substantial than previously thought. 
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2017, 09:20 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Yeah, if you combine Duke's statements with the news about Jimmy G...

...the asking price for McCarron could end being more substantial than previously thought. 

Maybe bengals and pats are working together to drive the prices up for both
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2017, 09:20 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Yeah, if you combine Duke's statements with the news about Jimmy G...

Plot twist...what if the Patriots are saying they won't trade Jimmy G to drive up the price?

I mean, the Bengals are essentially saying the same about Mac. I'm not sure I believe either.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Lapham says that AJ deserves to be traded and be a starting QB. 

He also said the Bengals wanted a 1st and 4th for him last year.

http://700wlw.iheart.com/onair/lance-mcalister-7818/the-trade-market-for-aj-mccarron-15604374/
Reply/Quote
If the draft comes and goes without a deal I'll be frustrated. While I don't believe we need to re-build entirely I think this team is picking top 10 in the draft for a reason and we have a few holes to fill. The team isn't good enough to afford the luxury of a backup QB that other teams see as a potential starter and are willing to offer some serious draft picks for. McCarron isn't the only quality backup QB out there but he's one of the few that franchises see as a starting QB.

If the Pats are serious about keeping Jimmy G and not just trying to inflate his value then the Bengals should have some quality offers. The time to pull the trigger is now we can start over again at that spot bring in a vet like Hoyer and draft another young QB.
Reply/Quote
I believe the Pats do intend to keep Jimmy G. Brady is is going to be 40 years old next season.

That would leave the QB's available pretty slim pickings. Jay Cutler, Tyrod Taylor, Colin Kaepernick, and AJ. I'd take AJ over any of those guys.

Reply/Quote
(03-02-2017, 06:40 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I believe the Pats do intend to keep Jimmy G. Brady is is going to be 40 years old next season.

That would leave the QB's available pretty slim pickings. Jay Cutler, Tyrod Taylor, Colin Kaepernick, and AJ. I'd take AJ over any of those guys.

I do too. The Pats see Garopollo as their future....
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2017, 06:40 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I believe the Pats do intend to keep Jimmy G. Brady is is going to be 40 years old next season.

Romo Might decide to try his luck elsewhere.
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2017, 03:13 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: You could pick a guy that could have an impact at linebacker, defensive line, cornerback (granted Pac and Dre are gone), runningback, etc. There are holes on this team where a draft pick could make an impact. 

(02-28-2017, 03:37 PM)McC Wrote: The first pick, provided he makes it out of TC, should start, unless he's a CB.  At least, I would hope so.

The second round pick, if he is a G, would probably start at RG.  If he's a RB, if Burkhead is gone, he'll see playing time.  If he's a pass rusher, he should see playing time.  A RT might have a shot.  Other than that, I would agree.

Not disagreeing that a 2nd round pick could and should have an impact at a few different spots on this teams.

I just find it really unlikely one will get the opportunity unless there's an injury or there isn't a cheap veteran to pickup.

Guard — if Zeitler is gone — is the most likely place where a rookie might start, but if Whit is coming back I'm expecting Westerman or Ogie to take over there. Tobin's latest article is all praise for Ogie, but he needs a year or two more before he's able to handle DE's.

CB isn't out of the question, but at this point I'd prefer we looked for a vet if we're going to reshuffle back there and move on. We just haven't had good luck developing corners the last few years.

DL, may have to have someone coming in there.
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2017, 04:11 PM)Benton Wrote: Not disagreeing that a 2nd round pick could and should have an impact at a few different spots on this teams.

I just find it really unlikely one will get the opportunity unless there's an injury or there isn't a cheap veteran to pickup.

Guard — if Zeitler is gone — is the most likely place where a rookie might start, but if Whit is coming back I'm expecting Westerman or Ogie to take over there. Tobin's latest article is all praise for Ogie, but he needs a year or two more before he's able to handle DE's.

CB isn't out of the question, but at this point I'd prefer we looked for a vet if we're going to reshuffle back there and move on. We just haven't had good luck developing corners the last few years.

DL, may have to have someone coming in there.

Nothing quite like constantly taking first round picks who can't back pedal, stay healthy, or block DEs for 4 years.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2017, 06:10 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Duke Tobin talking about McCarron:

Duke Tobin has been completely Bengalized. My God, be more mediocre. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2017, 02:42 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Romo Might decide to try his luck elsewhere.

Romo's going to Denver....
Reply/Quote