Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is the fact that AJ Mccarron hasn't been traded yet maddening to anyone else?
(02-28-2017, 12:53 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Couldn't disagree with this more. 

Dalton rarely gets injured. When he did get a freak injury, Mccarron did a decent job filling in but lets be honest, we weren't going to the Super Bowl with him. The same way the Steelers weren't going to the Super Bowl with Landry Jones. 

Why not get a decent trade pick so you can get a guy that can help your team RIGHT NOW and fill in ACTUAL holes on your team rather than over valuing a freaking backup QB who statistic probability shows wont even play a snap this season. 

Quote: I would rather have a better chance to win next year than taking a second round guy who might get to play in 3-4 years. If he's lucky.

Backup QB is still a necessary role... sometimes. It's like my Gatling gun. It's better to have and not need, than to need and not have.

Plus, the odds of us taking someone in the second that's going to go play in front of all the other 1-3 round picks the last few years that are seeing sparse playing time isn't high.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2017, 01:53 PM)Benton Wrote: Backup QB is still a necessary role... sometimes. It's like my Gatling gun. It's better to have and not need, than to need and not have.

Plus, the odds of us taking someone in the second that's going to go play in front of all the other 1-3 round picks the last few years that are seeing sparse playing time isn't high.

You could pick a guy that could have an impact at linebacker, defensive line, cornerback (granted Pac and Dre are gone), runningback, etc. There are holes on this team where a draft pick could make an impact. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2017, 01:53 PM)Benton Wrote: Backup QB is still a necessary role... sometimes. It's like my Gatling gun. It's better to have and not need, than to need and not have.

The first pick, provided he makes it out of TC, should start, unless he's a CB.  At least, I would hope so.

The second round pick, if he is a G, would probably start at RG.  If he's a RB, if Burkhead is gone, he'll see playing time.  If he's a pass rusher, he should see playing time.  A RT might have a shot.  Other than that, I would agree.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(02-28-2017, 12:53 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Couldn't disagree with this more. 

Dalton rarely gets injured. When he did get a freak injury, Mccarron did a decent job filling in but lets be honest, we weren't going to the Super Bowl with him. The same way the Steelers weren't going to the Super Bowl with Landry Jones. 

Why not get a decent trade pick so you can get a guy that can help your team RIGHT NOW and fill in ACTUAL holes on your team rather than over valuing a freaking backup QB who statistic probability shows wont even play a snap this season. 

Out of respect to McCarron practically winning our first playoff game in 20 years if Jones and Burfict weren't stupid I have to keep the possibility open that we could've won it with him.
Reply/Quote
Don't rule out the possibility that Mike Brown sees McCarron as future starter.

It really does not matter because we are going down the drain next season.
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2017, 07:33 PM)Housh Wrote: Out of respect to McCarron practically winning our first playoff game in 20 years if Jones and Burfict weren't stupid I have to keep the possibility open that we could've won it with him.

I love McCarron as much as the next guy, but he didn't practically win anything. Had he led a single scoring drive in the first 3 qtrs then a FG wouldn't have won that game for Pittsburgh. He did next to nothing in that game. If anyone practically won that game it was Burfict. 
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2017, 08:13 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: I love McCarron as much as the next guy, but he didn't practically win anything. Had he led a single scoring drive in the first 3 qtrs then a FG wouldn't have won that game for Pittsburgh. He did next to nothing in that game. If anyone practically won that game it was Burfict. 

Yea he practically won the game that he basically lost.
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2017, 10:33 PM)TKUHL Wrote: Yea he practically won the game that he basically lost.

Defense holds one of the best offenses to 15 points (before the meltdown), forces multiple turnovers and short fields.

Offense scores 2 TDs the whole game vs one of the worst defenses. QB turns it over twice, fumbles 3 times, and has a rating of 68.

People credit the QB for "almost winning". Whatever

Had Mac led the offense to even 19 points, we would've won. 19 points isn't much to ask. But he's somehow a hero for scoring 16 points? Ok.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Macaroni isn't going anywhere. Mikey will keep him as the backup QB. I think we need one so why not keep him?
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
(02-27-2017, 02:56 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: I really don't think you will see any action on him until the start of the new league year (March 9, I believe)

Teams really don't do much until then.  I'm also not sure what the cap ramifications would be if he is dealt before then.

I'm not expecting him to get traded until teams do their due diligence on this year's QB crop.  

So, long story short, I'm not upset or surprised that he hasn't been moved yet.

(02-27-2017, 03:04 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: I would think hes a draft day trade if traded..

Yep, new league year and the draft are key dates for early season trades.

Also, at the QB position, draft prospects can change what teams think of them at the combine, pro-days and individual workouts.

Teams looking for a QB will want to fully evaluate this year's draft class before trading for a QB.

Reply/Quote
I haven't read through this whole thread so I don't know if anyone has mentioned it, but part of the reason they haven't traded AJ away is that they want teams in the 1st 8 spots that need quarterbacks to draft them instead of the edge rushers we need.....
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2017, 11:28 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I haven't read through this whole thread so I don't know if anyone has mentioned it, but part of the reason they haven't traded AJ away is that they want teams in the 1st 8 spots that need quarterbacks to draft them instead of the edge rushers we need.....

Good point. Maybe edge rushers, maybe a different position. Either way, you have a point.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2017, 10:33 PM)TKUHL Wrote: Yea he practically won the game that he basically lost.

Burfict didn't lose anything that game, he played one hell of a game. He single handedly swung the momentum of the game in the 4th after playing great the entire game. He got called for a personal foul at a bad time, but that does not come close to being the reason the Bengals lost. 

I feel like people need to go back and rewatch that game from a less emotional place because the ending has clearly distorted the reality of what happened. Or maybe some of these people didn't even watch and are just going by the stories they've seen on espn 
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2017, 11:41 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Good point. Maybe edge rushers, maybe a different position. Either way, you have a point.

And there's four teams ahead of us that need a QB. SO say one of them gets Garropolo, keeping McCarron till after the draft means 3 teams may go QB ahead of us, which leaves 3 top ten players on the board for us. I know people here hate to give the front office any credit for anything, but sometimes it's chess instead of checkers....
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2017, 09:46 AM)Sled21 Wrote: And there's four teams ahead of us that need a QB. SO say one of them gets Garropolo, keeping McCarron till after the draft means 3 teams may go QB ahead of us, which leaves 3 top ten players on the board for us. I know people here hate to give the front office any credit for anything, but sometimes it's chess instead of checkers....

According to Schefter, the Patriots are not interested in trading Garropolo....so the plot may thicken a bit now.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/18795544/jimmy-garoppolo-not-expected-traded-new-england-patriots

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(03-01-2017, 01:30 AM)leonardfan40 Wrote: Burfict didn't lose anything that game, he played one hell of a game. He single handedly swung the momentum of the game in the 4th after playing great the entire game. He got called for a personal foul at a bad time, but that does not come close to being the reason the Bengals lost. 

I feel like people need to go back and rewatch that game from a less emotional place because the ending has clearly distorted the reality of what happened. Or maybe some of these people didn't even watch and are just going by the stories they've seen on espn 

All true, and if Jerry Porter gets flagged when he should have been, Pacman doesn't freak out, and he offsets Burfict.....back to square one.  Jeremy Hill was the crusher in that game.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(03-01-2017, 12:38 PM)Wyche Wrote: According to Schefter, the Patriots are not interested in trading Garropolo....so the plot may thicken a bit now.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/18795544/jimmy-garoppolo-not-expected-traded-new-england-patriots

And the Broncos are going to snatch up Romo, so make those four teams take QB's and leave us those choice picks at #9....
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2017, 11:09 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Defense holds one of the best offenses to 15 points (before the meltdown), forces multiple turnovers and short fields.

Offense scores 2 TDs the whole game vs one of the worst defenses. QB turns it over twice, fumbles 3 times, and has a rating of 68.

People credit the QB for "almost winning". Whatever

Had Mac led the offense to even 19 points, we would've won. 19 points isn't much to ask. But he's somehow a hero for scoring 16 points? Ok.

That game was all on the defense. They were unreal. 
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2017, 11:14 PM)guyofthetiger Wrote: Macaroni isn't going anywhere. Mikey will keep him as the backup QB. I think we need one so why not keep him?

Because you can trade him and get talent to fill in holes on this team. Did you not read anything in this thread?  
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2017, 11:28 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I haven't read through this whole thread so I don't know if anyone has mentioned it, but part of the reason they haven't traded AJ away is that they want teams in the 1st 8 spots that need quarterbacks to draft them instead of the edge rushers we need.....

Good point, but if they draft a QB then arent we kind of eliminating the market for Mccarron? 
Reply/Quote