Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is the fact that AJ Mccarron hasn't been traded yet maddening to anyone else?
(02-27-2017, 05:10 PM)Housh Wrote: Not really

I'm probably in the minority that wants him as a backup plan this season.

Ditto.

(Do the hip kids still say that?)

Anyway, I'm still of the mindset that we can win it all next year. Statistically, it's a good chance. Marvin usually does much better after a trainwreck. We'll have some pretty good skills players, the OL will have had an offseason to figure out what it did wrong the season before and we'll have a high round draft pick who mysteriously gets injured 5 minutes after signing. Ok, well, disregard the last thing as a positive.

Point being, I'm of the minority that wants AJM stashed away on the roster in case Dalton goes down. I've never understood the argument of "well, if your QB goes down, your season is over." Look at Pittsburgh. Ben goes down more than [insert off color joke here] and they do ok.

I would rather have a better chance to win next year than taking a second round guy who might get to play in 3-4 years. If he's lucky.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Not mad at all. It think the full picture of the quarterback market has yet to take shape. I've heard some say, perhaps Dehner or Jim O, that the most likely time for a trade may actually be after the draft.

As for keeping him, no. There's zero reason for that. This is not a playoff team in any way shape or form as it stands. It may get even shittier personnel-wise. There's little use for a good backup on a team without playoff aspirations. Even if this team was a contender, losing dalton likely means season over, as it would for any team losing a franchise quarterback.
Reply/Quote

I think it all depends on if Bengals Management thinks we can compete for a Super Bowl this year. If they do...we should keep him.

I'm assuming they are sold on Dalton as the starter by now.
Reply/Quote
I don't think there's going to be any stampede coming after McCarron to say the least. I believe a lot of guys are waaayyyy over rating what we'll be offered if anything for him. If we're offered a 3rd absolutely you take it !!! I seriously doubt we'll get offered better than that.

I doubt Mike Brown trades him for any price though, Mike just doesn't trade, for the most part.

But no, I'm not mad.
Reply/Quote
The market is thin (FA and draft), so the market is only going to come to them. Maybe they aren't getting the right offers yet, lets not assume they have a 2nd round offer on the table. As the dominos start to fall someone will come to a reasonable level.
Reply/Quote
(02-27-2017, 05:03 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Except Minnesota wanted a veteran starter.

I think McCarron should have been in play. It sounded like Teddy's career was in jeopardy by the way everyone reacted, so a long term option should have been discussed.

I can't imagine the disappointment (albeit he's made a ton of money) that is Bradford was the future. That move to me was a head scratcher. Ask Philly who couldn't have stumbled on a better day.

It's possible McCarron wasn't in play. It's the Driskel claim that made me feel a call was made and they knew they weren't prepared to lose McCarron. Wanted to make sure they were never caught flat footed again and had a backup plan. Especially odd move now that it's out that we have him for 2 more years under contract.

It all smells fishy to me. Something happened in between that Zimmer trade and us suddenly willing to give up a roster spot to a 3rd qb.

In a year with high expectations.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(02-27-2017, 07:46 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I don't think there's going to be any stampede coming after McCarron to say the least. I believe a lot of guys are waaayyyy over rating what we'll be offered if anything for him. If we're offered a 3rd absolutely you take it !!! I seriously doubt we'll get offered better than that.

I doubt Mike Brown trades him for any price though, Mike just doesn't trade, for the most part.

But no, I'm not mad.

This. 
Reply/Quote
I heard that after this season he is gong to be a Restricted Free Agent instead of Unrestricted. This is definitely a big factor in him being traded or not. We can still get great value next year if we put a high tender on him. Not to mention, he is a good backup to have at the most important position. I Would hate to see Andy go down and have the season be immediately washed because we don't have a competent backup. I love the idea of getting an extra pick, but we have to be smart about this.
Reply/Quote
I'll also add that the fact we have 11 picks this year could make the management less inclined to trade Mac for yet another pick.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
I don't think any team is ready for a deal until they they meet the prospects at the combine, put them through workouts and weigh them compared to other teams needs. Ajm won't be the first domino to fall.
Reply/Quote
Going into a season with a Oline worse than last year? Might be a good idea to just keep him, We will need him by week 3.
Reply/Quote
(02-27-2017, 11:17 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I'll also add that the fact we have 11 picks this year could make the management less inclined to trade Mac for yet another pick.

If that's the case then we should all punch ourselves in the face for being Bengals fans.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(02-27-2017, 11:17 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I'll also add that the fact we have 11 picks this year could make the management less inclined to trade Mac for yet another pick.

But only 3 in the first 3 rounds. The hope is to add another HIGH pick in the first 2 days that could push for playing time early. We shouldn't let 6 picks in the last 3 rounds keep us from adding a high pick. We can then try to trade up with the excess picks or trade those for future picks, but this team needs several good players soon. We know those won't come from FA and not from the end of the draft so we need another high pick to try to fix this thing soon

(02-28-2017, 01:52 AM)TKUHL Wrote: Going into a season with a Oline worse than last year? Might be a good idea to just keep him, We will need him by week 3.

Then we will lose him by week 6, what good will that do? If we trade him we could use the extra high pick to try to improve the line and keep our QB upright 
Reply/Quote
(02-27-2017, 02:49 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: And by maddening, I mean COMPLETELY maddening?

The Bengals have a freaking BACKUP quarterback that can be dealt to pickup an extra second round, third round, or some solid combination of draft picks and or talent this year and they just refuse to cash in on it.

They have one of the best trade chips in the league and they continue to sit on their hands. This team has so many holes and they are valuing a BACKUP quarterback more highly than a nice draft pick that can possibly come in here and make an immediate impact. Its ridiculous.

If they dont trade Mccarron this year to try and improve the team then it will be one of the worst decisions this franchise has made in recent memory.
Yes, but I think he's going to be moved, my guess is right around draft time and hopefully they get a nice haul. What I find more maddening is how NFL pundits are stating that Garrappalo is worth a high first and you really hear nothing about McCarron who has a better pedigree and has also had success in his limited time while playing in a tougher division. New England has proven that it is a plug and play type of system, what kind of success would a guy like McCarron have there compared to here, who knows. However I think he's worth at least a second rounder if Jimmy G is worth a high first.
Reply/Quote

With the way our OLine will look this season, we might need several backup QB's.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(02-27-2017, 05:21 PM)Benton Wrote: Ditto.

(Do the hip kids still say that?)

Anyway, I'm still of the mindset that we can win it all next year. Statistically, it's a good chance. Marvin usually does much better after a trainwreck. We'll have some pretty good skills players, the OL will have had an offseason to figure out what it did wrong the season before and we'll have a high round draft pick who mysteriously gets injured 5 minutes after signing. Ok, well, disregard the last thing as a positive.

Point being, I'm of the minority that wants AJM stashed away on the roster in case Dalton goes down. I've never understood the argument of "well, if your QB goes down, your season is over." Look at Pittsburgh. Ben goes down more than [insert off color joke here] and they do ok.

I would rather have a better chance to win next year than taking a second round guy who might get to play in 3-4 years. If he's lucky.

Couldn't disagree with this more. 

Dalton rarely gets injured. When he did get a freak injury, Mccarron did a decent job filling in but lets be honest, we weren't going to the Super Bowl with him. The same way the Steelers weren't going to the Super Bowl with Landry Jones. 

Why not get a decent trade pick so you can get a guy that can help your team RIGHT NOW and fill in ACTUAL holes on your team rather than over valuing a freaking backup QB who statistic probability shows wont even play a snap this season. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(02-27-2017, 09:54 PM)Weazzel80 Wrote: I heard that after this season he is gong to be a Restricted Free Agent instead of Unrestricted.  This is definitely a big factor in him being traded or not. We can still get great value next year if we put a high tender on him. Not to mention, he is a good backup to have at the most important position. I Would hate to see Andy go down and have the season be immediately washed because we don't have a competent backup.  I love the idea of getting an extra pick, but we have to be smart about this.

If youre going to trade him, why would you wait until after this season to trade him? The sooner you unload him to get more talent to help your team immediately the better. The window on this team is closing. His value wont go up or down this year because he isnt going to play. 
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2017, 01:52 AM)TKUHL Wrote: Going into a season with a Oline worse than last year? Might be a good idea to just keep him, We will need him by week 3.

If our O Line is worse than last year then backup quarterback is the least of our problems. 
Reply/Quote

If we lose our two best linemen, Whit and Zeitler, we are going to need a good backup QB for sure. Andy will never make it through the season.
Reply/Quote
If we lose our two best lineman and Dalton doesn't make it through the season. Neither will McCarron once he replaces him. He was taking sacks at a higher rate from our "elite" line in 2015 compared to Dalton behind that same line in 2015.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote