Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 1.25 Average
Is the offense missing that true burner at WR?
(09-12-2023, 02:39 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Look at the Chiefs last year, won the SB without any good blazers.  This is not Madden.  We have the #1 WR group in the league with a very fast one.  Have your opinion but it is not realistic, and a fan from any other team reading this will think we are not very bright.

Plus the Chiefs actually allowed a SUPER STAR BURNER to leave their Team and then Won the Super Bowl without TYREEK HILL.
Reply/Quote
So Burrow needs to have Chase, Higgins, Boyd plus another burner at WR and a great O-line on top of all that before he can be expected to beat great defenses like Cleveland? What NFL QB couldnt have success with that talent around him? Burrow wanted to be the highest paid player in the NFL because he sees himself as elite. He got it. Being elite and taking so much money out of the cap for one player limits what you can do with other players. Burrow isnt going to get a great offensive line plus have Chase, Higgins, Boyd and another deep threat receiver. Mahomes doesnt have that and he still wins Super Bowls. If Burrow is on that same elite level he needs to be able to get the job done with what he has plus even less when we start losing weapons like Higgins. Thats why they get paid the big bucks. You want to be elite? Play like it without having an offense loaded with talent surrounding you.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2023, 02:50 PM)depthchart Wrote: Plus the Chiefs actually allowed a SUPER STAR BURNER to leave their Team and then Won the Super Bowl without TYREEK HILL.

This should end this thread.

Reply/Quote
(09-12-2023, 03:02 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: So Burrow needs to have Chase, Higgins, Boyd plus another burner at WR and a great O-line on top of all that before he can be expected to beat great defenses like Cleveland?  What NFL QB couldnt have success with that talent around him?  Burrow wanted to be the highest paid player in the NFL because he sees himself as elite.  He got it.   Being elite and taking so much money out of the cap for one player limits what you can do with other players.  Burrow isnt going to get a great offensive line plus have Chase, Higgins, Boyd and another deep threat receiver.  Mahomes doesnt have that and he still wins Super Bowls.  If Burrow is on that same elite level he needs to be able to get the job done with what he has plus even less when we start losing weapons like Higgins.  Thats why they get paid the big bucks.  You want to be elite?  Play like it without having an offense loaded with talent surrounding you.

I wanted to reply with a snarky comment, but you're right. Elite QB's don't need 3-4 elite WR's and a good RB.

They need 1 elite weapon, and then maybe 1-2 more good ones and they make average ones look good.

I'm a huge Burrow fan, but last year this offense struggled for stretches then Chase or Higgins would make an insane play and the flood gates would open. I'd like to see more consistency this year.
Reply/Quote
Absolutely not. This is just silly, Burrow can’t even hit Chase in stride at times. Seen Chase & Higs having to wait for deep passes. If Chase isn’t fast enough, we have other issues. We have so much talent on offense, other teams would love to have the offensive lineup we have. I’m sure most coaches would get more out of these guys on a more consistent basis than this staff. It’s not a lack of burner issue, it’s a play calling/Burrow not ready issue.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2023, 08:35 AM)impactplaya Wrote: Putting another super fast WR on the field that can stretch the field Vertically adds additional stress to the defense along with Chase.
Look at the WR room. Do defenses have to
Worry about Tyler Boyd beating them deep?
No. Most of Tyler's route tree is between 5 and 15 yards.
Look what the Chiefs had at one time
Hardeman and Hill. 2 blazers. It worked out
For them..
Tyler Boyd has beaten plenty of people deep...
Reply/Quote
This entire thread is silly. Burrow had a horrible day - beginning and end of it. Do you REALLY think he will be THAT inaccurate again?

Rapien did a YouTube of game tape of at least six plays where normal Burrow completes the pass, and multiple passes were TDs.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2023, 03:02 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: So Burrow needs to have Chase, Higgins, Boyd plus another burner at WR and a great O-line on top of all that before he can be expected to beat great defenses like Cleveland? What NFL QB couldnt have success with that talent around him? Burrow wanted to be the highest paid player in the NFL because he sees himself as elite. He got it. Being elite and taking so much money out of the cap for one player limits what you can do with other players. Burrow isnt going to get a great offensive line plus have Chase, Higgins, Boyd and another deep threat receiver. Mahomes doesnt have that and he still wins Super Bowls. If Burrow is on that same elite level he needs to be able to get the job done with what he has plus even less when we start losing weapons like Higgins. Thats why they get paid the big bucks. You want to be elite? Play like it without having an offense loaded with talent surrounding you.

PREACH!

Nailed it.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2023, 02:50 PM)depthchart Wrote: Plus the Chiefs actually allowed a SUPER STAR BURNER to leave their Team and then Won the Super Bowl without TYREEK HILL.

If the Bengals had a Travis Kelce, with his talent and reasonable TE salary, they would need a lot less talent among other receivers.
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2023, 09:35 PM)ah5 Wrote: Tyler Boyd has beaten plenty of people deep...

1st of all Tyler Boyd has never Been 
A deep threat.he never was a WR to blow the 
Top off a defense. Boyd has always been a 
"Move the Chains" WR. 
2nd of all he is nearing 30 years old. He is one 
Of the few players remaing from the Lewis years

My observation that this offense needs another 
Burner at WR has nothing to do with Burrows
Last outing.
It does have to do with the fact outside
Of Chase the WR room is lacking dynamics.
If Chase gets hurt then how do you replace 
That speed component again ? Or a WR that 
Can make tacklers miss in space?
Jamar is the only WR that has those traits 
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2023, 10:54 PM)impactplaya Wrote: 1st of all Tyler Boyd has never Been 
A deep threat.he never was a WR to blow the 
Top off a defense. Boyd has always been a 
"Move the Chains" WR. 
2nd of all he is nearing 30 years old. He is one 
Of the few players remaing from the Lewis years

My observation that this offense needs another 
Burner at WR has nothing to do with Burrows
Last outing.
It does have to do with the fact outside
Of Chase the WR room is lacking dynamics.
If Chase gets hurt then how do you replace 
That speed component again ? Or a WR that 
Can make tacklers miss in space?
Jamar is the only WR that has those traits 

New season, same old question;

why do you write like that? I have to know.

Reply/Quote
(09-11-2023, 10:14 PM)Joelist Wrote: Yep! This.

Also, Rapien and Liscow just dropped their podcast with their detailed offensive analysis. Basically Burrow WAS terrible - even worse than we thought. There were open plays there for three touchdowns where Burrow just was inaccurate (two to Tee). Pass protection had rough spots but not as bad as they initially thought. They also pointed out the lack of running even though the YPC was there. 

Simply put, if Burrow was in his usual accuracy band that entire game develops differently. 

Just watched the all 22. I was going to post that anyone thinking the WRs weren't getting open, is wrong. Burrow was bad, really bad. He won't be that bad again. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2023, 10:20 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Evans averaged 6.0 on 2 carries.  The 3 RBs averaged 4.4 yards per carry.  I also thought we ran the ball well, just not enough.

It's almost like Taylor goes, "ok, this is working, let's try something else" and when it's not working, he tries to force them out of it. Like running Mixon 69 times against the Dolphins last year for 1 yard a pop. I saw from the beginning that the running game was working and kept wondering why they weren't doing it more. WTF goes on in his head sometimes? If it's Burrow checking out of it a lot, he needs to stop.

These early season Bengals games are rough. 2-2 doesn't sound terrible after 4 but they really need to be 3-1. Ravens, Rams and Titans coming up. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2023, 12:52 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: It's almost like Taylor goes, "ok, this is working, let's try something else" and when it's not working, he tries to force them out of it. Like running Mixon 69 times against the Dolphins last year for 1 yard a pop. I saw from the beginning that the running game was working and kept wondering why they weren't doing it more. WTF goes on in his head sometimes? If it's Burrow checking out of it a lot, he needs to stop.

These early season Bengals games are rough. 2-2 doesn't sound terrible after 4 but they really need to be 3-1. Ravens, Rams and Titans coming up. 

Zac said in his press conference that is one of the worst rain games he has ever been involved in.... then continued to throw the ball?  His play calling has never seemed to have improved, we just acquired better players that can win in situations, and compared to Miami and San Francisco we have do not have a creative offensive scheme.

Reply/Quote
So now we understand the real reason they lost on Sunday, they are tanking for Marvin Harrison, Jr

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(09-12-2023, 10:02 PM)Nepa Wrote: If the Bengals had a Travis Kelce, with his talent and reasonable TE salary, they would need a lot less talent among other receivers.

Why, so he could be on the team and underutilized?  Zac Taylor's offensive philosophy favors the 3 WR sets, where the TE is an extra blocker and outlet receiver.  In order to feature a TE as a primary weapon in an offense, one of two things needs to happen. A, you must be able to adequately pass protect with 5 OL and a RB, or B, you must feature a 2 TE set and be fluid and comfortable both running and passing from that formation.

We already know that option A is not really viable at this time, as the Bengals failed to adequately protect versus Cleveland using 7 blockers on many plays.  As for option B, I would like to see more 2 TE formation usage, but in order to do that one WR has to come off of the field.  Who are you putting on the bench, Tyler Boyd? He makes a lot of money to be riding the pine.  Besides, Zac Taylor really likes the 3 WR offense.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2023, 10:54 AM)impactplaya Wrote: Let's be real. As talented as the Bengals
WR room is, it's missing that mercurial burner
That can blow the top off the defense.
I'm talking DeShaun Jackson fast.
Boyd isn't the guy. Tee is built for contested
Catches and red zone leaping ability
Jamar is fast but is like a RB playing WR at times
Ultra fast WRs you don't have to scheme all the time
To get open.
I saw Marquis Goodwin get behind the Bengals
Secondary.his only routes he ran yesterday was to go routes. Which opened up the middle for Njoku and Cooper.

No.  We have Chase who is by definition one of the Fastest players on any given Sunday. 
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2023, 10:54 AM)impactplaya Wrote: Let's be real. As talented as the Bengals
WR room is, it's missing that mercurial burner
That can blow the top off the defense.
I'm talking DeShaun Jackson fast.
Boyd isn't the guy. Tee is built for contested
Catches and red zone leaping ability
Jamar is fast but is like a RB playing WR at times
Ultra fast WRs you don't have to scheme all the time
To get open.
I saw Marquis Goodwin get behind the Bengals
Secondary.his only routes he ran yesterday was to go routes. Which opened up the middle for Njoku and Cooper.

The Bengals problems arent with the WR’s.
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2023, 10:30 AM)bengals1969 Wrote: The Bengals problems arent with the WR’s.

Yes, I don't know how one could think WR is the problem..   Perhaps they are referring to not having someone like Hill but Hill is very rare....
Reply/Quote
(09-12-2023, 03:02 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: So Burrow needs to have Chase, Higgins, Boyd plus another burner at WR and a great O-line on top of all that before he can be expected to beat great defenses like Cleveland?  What NFL QB couldnt have success with that talent around him?  Burrow wanted to be the highest paid player in the NFL because he sees himself as elite.  He got it.   Being elite and taking so much money out of the cap for one player limits what you can do with other players.  Burrow isnt going to get a great offensive line plus have Chase, Higgins, Boyd and another deep threat receiver.  Mahomes doesnt have that and he still wins Super Bowls.  If Burrow is on that same elite level he needs to be able to get the job done with what he has plus even less when we start losing weapons like Higgins.  Thats why they get paid the big bucks.  You want to be elite?  Play like it without having an offense loaded with talent surrounding you.

Spot. On. Sunday was almost entirely on QB9. We're on to Baltimore.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote