6 14.63%
75.61%
31 75.61%
Total 41 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is this team best Bengal team ever
(02-01-2022, 12:51 PM)GAWhoDey Wrote: Comparing QB's or really any position from 2021 to 1981 is kind of a fool's errand. The sport of football is completely different now than it was then.

If you stuck Kenny Anderson in his prime on this roster, he would probably suck tbh. Nothing against him, he was one of the best of his era, it's just evolution. The rules are different, players are bigger, faster, and stronger now because training and nutrition have evolved too. The way defense is played has adapted to fit the new rules and offensive schemes, too.

If we are adjusting for era - I'd probably still lean towards 2021 but honestly I was 6 years old in 1981 so I can't claim to be an expert on that team.

I agree that it's a fool's errand. Don't agree that we should assume old players would suck now. Evolution takes millions of years, supposedly. Not 30-40.

Kenny was a talent, and if he had the modern knowledge, nutrition, medical care, and especially these soft rules that neuter defenses, he'd benefit just like anyone else. The dude could sling a football and he was smart. He'd be fine.

Tbh, Tom Brady debunks the evolution argument. The guy put up better numbers at 44 than he did at 24. If players have evolved so much, Brady should've been dominating all those "plumbers and mechanics" from the early 2000s.

Instead, he's dominating more now. It's rule changes bro.

Now I will say linemen have gotten bigger. But that's a credit to weight training, modern nutrition, and changing standards to size with linemen. Not evolution.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2022, 01:05 PM)JaggedJimmyJay Wrote: I think the 2005 team loses to Pittsburgh with or without Palmer.

Marvin never showed any evidence he could win in the playoffs, and I don’t see why that game should be any different.

As for this poll question, I’ll go with 2021. Because they’re going to win the Super Bowl.

Agree on 2005, but if they had this current coaching staff?

I think that's a Super Bowl caliber squad. Same with 2015.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
For those of you who were not around for the first two Bengals Super Bowl appearances:

Super Bowl XVI

Super Bowl XXIII
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
Regardless who you pick the exciting thing is. The 2022 Bengals team will be better than the 2021
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Hard to say, and as others have pointed out it depends on if they win on the 13th.

I remember all 3 teams very well. I'd probably pick the 88 team as the most balanced and complete. O line was dominant, as was the run game AND the passing game, though you'd never know the latter just by looking at stats.

However I'd grade 21 as incomplete. I get the feeling we are just getting started, this team is going to be great fun to watch for several years. Most of the guys are under contract, and we'll get line reinforcements this coming offseason. I think by 2023-2024 there will be no doubt this is the most dominant run in Bengals history, just beginning now in 2021/2.
Reply/Quote
After 1 more game it will be.
Reply/Quote
The Bengal's Super Bowl march is one of the greatest sports stories of our (or any other) time, so it makes it a moot point to compare the team against the other Super Bowl teams.

They will have to get better next season just to compete in the AFC north. Cleveland and Baltimore will be back and healthy again, and Pittsburgh isn't going away.
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2022, 01:14 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Regardless who you pick the exciting thing is. The 2022 Bengals team will be better than the 2021

It is impossible to say what will happen next year or in the future. 

The best season of Dan Marino's career was his second.

The '05 Bengals had more young talent than this current tram.

The '20 Super Bowl Champion Buccaneers returned all 22 starters and they did not even get back to the conference championship game.
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2022, 12:56 PM)fredtoast Wrote: It is impossible to say what will happen next year or in the future. 

The best season of Dan Marino's career was his second.

The '05 Bengals had more young talent than this current tram.

The '20 Super Bowl Champion Buccaneers returned all 22 starters and they did not even get back to the conference championship game.

It is not impossible to make a prediction

Is Marino the norm or the exception

No team in the history of the NFL had more young talent than this team. No one of our defensive starts in over 27 years old. On offense are the first team in the NFL to have two 1000 yard receivers, a 1,000 yard rusher, and a 4,000 yard passer all age 25 or younger.

Bucs couldn't even win their division in 2020. Sure they excelled once they hit the playoffs, because they had the GOAT at QB. Also not a lot of young talent on the 2020 Bucs team.

It's weird. When we were terrible you were slamming folks saying they'd be upset if we went to the Superbowl. Well we're going to the Super Bowl and there appears to be no one in the forum more upset about than you. 

Reply/Quote
(02-02-2022, 01:20 PM)bfine32 Wrote: It's weird. When we were terrible you were slamming folks saying they'd be upset if we went to the Superbowl. Well we're going to the Super Bowl and there appears to be no one in the forum more upset about than you. 

Please post a link to me saying anything about being upset we are in the Super Bowl.

I have no idea what you are talking about.
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2022, 01:26 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Please post a link to me saying anything about being upset we are in the Super Bowl.

I have no idea what you are talking about.

You may not, but I'm sure everyone reading the forums can. The last two threads I read you made the following comments:

We needed lucky breaks to beat the Chiefs

Zac Taylor didn't change the culture around here

I could probably go back and show more, but why bother...

lou should have been fired if he figured out the Chiefs in the regular season

Reply/Quote
(02-01-2022, 12:04 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: All 3 were MVP type seasons for their era. 88 edges 81 in secondary for overall quality of depth

Okay but one of them actually did with MVP and that was '88.

Not saying Boomer was the best but if thats your logic.
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2022, 01:32 PM)bfine32 Wrote: You may not, but I'm sure everyone reading the forums can. The last two threads I read you made the following comments:

We needed lucky breaks to beat the Chiefs

Zac Taylor didn't change the culture around here

I could probably go back and show more, but why bother...

lou should have been fired if he figured out the Chiefs in the regular season

None of these comments have anything to do with being upset about going to the Super Bowl.

And all the comments are true.
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2022, 02:02 PM)motoarch Wrote: Okay but one of them actually did with MVP and that was '88.

Not saying Boomer was the best but if thats your logic.

Boomer was injured in post season his numbers were awful.
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2022, 02:49 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: Boomer was injured in post season his numbers were awful.

So your just going to move the goal post arbitrarily.

Cool
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2022, 08:01 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I agree that it's a fool's errand. Don't agree that we should assume old players would suck now. Evolution takes millions of years, supposedly. Not 30-40.

Kenny was a talent, and if he had the modern knowledge, nutrition, medical care, and especially these soft rules that neuter defenses, he'd benefit just like anyone else. The dude could sling a football and he was smart. He'd be fine.

Tbh, Tom Brady debunks the evolution argument. The guy put up better numbers at 44 than he did at 24. If players have evolved so much, Brady should've been dominating all those "plumbers and mechanics" from the early 2000s.

Instead, he's dominating more now. It's rule changes bro.

Now I will say linemen have gotten bigger. But that's a credit to weight training, modern nutrition, and changing standards to size with linemen. Not evolution.

I was speaking of the evolution of sports, not biological evolution.  LOL.  Sports have evolved dramatically in the last 40 years. I mean, I literally mentioned the nutrition and training aspect of it.
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2022, 11:48 AM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: QB 81
RB 88
OL 81
TE 81
WR 21
DL 88
LB 81
S 21
CB 88
K 21
P 88
ST 81
Coach 81
My opinion

Agree with most but I think I might have to give cb to 21. Awuzie Hilton and Apple have played great this year despite a few rough patches from Apple and Awuzie getting beat over the top a few times in this playoff run, he has been outstanding most of the year though. Was robbed not getting. pro bowl nod, he's in the better bowl anyway. The few times he was beat deep he had pretty good coverage but qb made a great throw and or the wr made great plays.

I'd have to say qb is close now I think about it. Boomer won mvp and Anderson had highest comp % and passer rating but Burrow led league in comp% and yards per attempt which are 2 crazy categories to lead together. Wasn't to far from hitting 5000 yards in 16 games as well as taking a seat early in blowouts. Team record in td passes and interception issues disappeared late and he started making plays with his legs again after mid season. You could say different era about the yards and passing tds but he comp % should be pretty consistent between the years. He also had the worst oline by far so I think I might have to give it to 21.
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2022, 02:09 PM)fredtoast Wrote: None of these comments have anything to do with being upset about going to the Super Bowl.

Old Fred would've called current Fred a squealer.

It's undeniable that you've changed your angle, and it's unfortunate.

(02-02-2022, 04:54 PM)GAWhoDey Wrote: I was speaking of the evolution of sports, not biological evolution.  LOL.  Sports have evolved dramatically in the last 40 years. I mean, I literally mentioned the nutrition and training aspect of it.

Then it makes no sense for you to assume old players would suck now.

They'd have the same access to all the same nutrition, fitness, doctors, playbooks and rule changes.
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2022, 11:48 AM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: QB 81
RB 88
OL 81
TE 81
WR 21
DL 88
LB 81
S 21
CB 88
K 21
P 88
ST 81
Coach 81
My opinion
This is an interesting discussion.  Thanks to Bengal4life for breaking it down by position.  I remember both previous Super Bowl teams well and I agree across the board, with the exception of punter and cornerbacks.  Pat McInally was first team all-pro punter in 81, gotta go with him over Lee Johnson.  I also vote for 81 at CB.  Ken Riley should be in the HOF and Louis Breeden was almost as good.  In 88, Eric Thomas was very good but you couldn't count on Lewis Billups.  When he wasn't dating high school girls or passing out in his car on the Brent-Spence at 4 a.m., he was dropping an INT that would have won the damn game.

As to the discussion/dispute over QB, I'll take Ken Anderson, who was NFL MVP in 1981.  My second choice is Boomer, who was MVP in 1988.  I love Joe, but he is not going to be the MVP.  At least not this year. 

Reply/Quote
(02-02-2022, 02:09 PM)fredtoast Wrote: None of these comments have anything to do with being upset about going to the Super Bowl.

Okey Dokey

IMO They just sound like things a salty fan of another team would say if they were upset about the Bengals going to the Super Bowl. And when called on it all they could say is "It's true". it's only true in their mind

But hey; maybe it's just me.

Reply/Quote