6 14.63%
75.61%
31 75.61%
Total 41 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is this team best Bengal team ever
(02-01-2022, 01:05 PM)JaggedJimmyJay Wrote: I think the 2005 team loses to Pittsburgh with or without Palmer.

Marvin never showed any evidence he could win in the playoffs, and I don’t see why that game should be any different.

As for this poll question, I’ll go with 2021. Because they’re going to win the Super Bowl.

I think if Palmer and Henry don't get hurt they beat the Steelers. But I don't think they would've been able to get past the Colts I think the only way to get past Peyton was to pressure him.
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2022, 12:56 PM)fredtoast Wrote: It is impossible to say what will happen next year or in the future. 

The best season of Dan Marino's career was his second.

I'm excited for the future. But what has fueled this playoff run is 100% the defense. While the offense has done enough the defense has been the driving factor. It will be hard to capture that same lighting in a bottle in the future. 

I really hope we capitalize on this opportunity and win the whole dang thing.
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2022, 07:54 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Hard to compare QB talent then, per QB talent now. But he will lead the league when the OL is solid.

Could definitely see Burrow leading the league in passer rating once the OL is solid, no question.

He already lead the league in a few big time categories and it is only his 2nd season with a poor OL.
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2022, 07:06 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: I'm excited for the future. But what has fueled this playoff run is 100% the defense. While the offense has done enough the defense has been the driving factor. It will be hard to capture that same lighting in a bottle in the future. 

I have been saying the exact same thing.  I just doesn't make any sense.  During the playoffs our defense has been playing great while our offense struggles to end drives with TDs (only 5 TDs in 32 possessions).
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2022, 08:08 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I have been saying the exact same thing.  I just doesn't make any sense.  During the playoffs our defense has been playing great while our offense struggles to end drives with TDs (only 5 TDs in 32 possessions).

Yeah, the Defense has been fantastic while the Offense has left tons on the field. The Offense can do enough to get the win but 
it sure would be nice for the Offense to actually have a big game in the Superbowl and take a little of the pressure off of the D.

Need better blocking in both the running and passing game for this to happen though. In the end, winning is what matters.
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2022, 08:08 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I have been saying the exact same thing.  I just doesn't make any sense.  During the playoffs our defense has been playing great while our offense struggles to end drives with TDs (only 5 TDs in 32 possessions).

Yeah this has me worried about the Superbowl. I think the Rams are gonna score some points so our offense is probably gonna have to have they're best game this postseason. But it will be the best conditions we've had being in a dome. But definitely surprising that the defense has been the bigger factor getting us to the Superbowl.
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2022, 06:34 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Okey Dokey

IMO They just sound like things a salty fan of another team would say if they were upset about the Bengals going to the Super Bowl. And when called on it all they could say is "It's true". it's only true in their mind

But hey; maybe it's just me.

It’s definitely not just you.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(02-02-2022, 06:04 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Old Fred would've called current Fred a squealer.

It's undeniable that you've changed your angle, and it's unfortunate.

Then it makes no sense for you to assume old players would suck now.

They'd have the same access to all the same nutrition, fitness, doctors, playbooks and rule changes.

If we assume that we are comparing the 1981 version of the player, then yes it would make sense.  That's like the entire point here. 

There are two ways to look at it. 
- Was Kenny Anderson better in his era than Joe Burrow is in his? Maybe, but Joe's body of work is only two years long at this point so it's hard to say for sure, IMO
- If you took 1981 Kenny Anderson and dropped him in 2021 would he be as good as 2021 Joe Burrow? Doubtful 

I guess maybe you're looking at it in a third way, which is if Kenny Anderson was able to be infused with the modern training and nutrition and dropped into 2021 would he be as good as Joe? Harder to say.  I mean the way the game is played is so much different now. Defenses are much more varied and complex, as are offenses.   

This is all fun to talk about as an offseason topic, but I'm not sure any of it matters.  
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2022, 06:34 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Okey Dokey

IMO They just sound like things a salty fan of another team would say if they were upset about the Bengals going to the Super Bowl. And when called on it all they could say is "It's true". it's only true in their mind

But hey; maybe it's just me.

(02-02-2022, 10:06 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: It’s definitely not just you.

No.  It is not just the two of you.  Bt it is clear that there is a certain group here who treat anything I say differently than what other posters say.

Perfect example of this is a thread I started about how this current team should not take this opportunity for granted because they may not see it again.  The usually crowd of Fred haters started attacking, but throughout the thread there were multiple mor elevel headed members who pointed out that what I was saying was correct.  Some of them came right out and said that if someone other than me had strted the thread people would eb reacting differently.

I have ALWAYS said that Burrow should definitely be better than Andy Dalton, but just because I claimed Burrow would need some talent around him I was attacked as "defending Dalton".

I was as upset as anyone here when we brought Marvin back after the '17 season, but if I dared to question the coaching ability of a guy who had never even been hired as a coordinator before and only won 6 games in his first two seasons as head coach I was accused of "defending Marvin"

Some of you out there need to read what I actually say instead of making stuff up in your head about "what I really mean".
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2022, 11:25 AM)GAWhoDey Wrote: If we assume that we are comparing the 1981 version of the player, then yes it would make sense.  That's like the entire point here. 

There are two ways to look at it. 
- Was Kenny Anderson better in his era than Joe Burrow is in his? Maybe, but Joe's body of work is only two years long at this point so it's hard to say for sure, IMO
- If you took 1981 Kenny Anderson and dropped him in 2021 would he be as good as 2021 Joe Burrow? Doubtful 

I guess maybe you're looking at it in a third way, which is if Kenny Anderson was able to be infused with the modern training and nutrition and dropped into 2021 would he be as good as Joe? Harder to say.  I mean the way the game is played is so much different now. Defenses are much more varied and complex, as are offenses.   

This is all fun to talk about as an offseason topic, but I'm not sure any of it matters.  

I was just objecting to the following quote:

"If you stuck Kenny Anderson in his prime on this roster, he would probably suck tbh. Nothing against him, he was one of the best of his era, it's just evolution. The rules are different, players are bigger, faster, and stronger now because training and nutrition have evolved too. The way defense is played has adapted to fit the new rules and offensive schemes, too."

I thought you were saying players of previous eras were just less skilled. Plumbers. Mechanics. Typical zoomer take. But maybe I read you wrong, and you were just saying that the game itself was more primitive back then, and Kenny wouldn't be ready for it.

With that I'd agree...and yes, I'm looking at it in the 3rd way. Kenny had the arm/athletic talent and mind to play at a high level in any era, assuming he has all the same benefits modern players have.

I have no clue if he'd be as good as Joe. I just don't think he'd be some scrub. That's all I'm saying.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2022, 11:48 AM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: QB 81
RB 88
OL 81
TE 81
WR 21
DL 88
LB 81
S 21
CB 88
K 21
P 88
ST 81
Coach 81
My opinion

Have to wait and see the game. The 88 Bengals came back and took the lead late and were a dropped INT from winning that game. The 2021 team needs to win the game to be considered for the top spot. IMHO

Reply/Quote
(02-01-2022, 11:48 AM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: QB 81
RB 88
OL 81
TE 81
WR 21
DL 88
LB 81
S 21
CB 88
K 21
P 88
ST 81
Coach 81
My opinion

You lost me at QB 81.

Love Anderson, but come on.

This Jugular Joe just built different.   You should already recognize that.
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2022, 11:24 PM)Jugular Joe Wrote: You lost me at QB 81.

Love Anderson, but come on.

This Jugular Joe just built different.   You should already recognize that.

I love Joe and think he will pass Kenny (and Boomer) as soon as February 13th.

That said, to put Joe over Kenny right now - with no championship - would be highly disrespectful to Kenny.

4x Pro Bowler (back when it meant something)
2x All-Pro
1× MVP
3x Comp % Leader
2x Pass Yards Leader
4x Passer Rating Leader

We're all in love with Joe, but let him earn his stripes before we throw him over a legend like Kenny.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
The super bowl 23 team was way better than this.

All modern nfl is flag football suckage
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2022, 12:32 AM)IsaacCurtis Wrote: The super bowl 23 team was way better than this.

[Image: old-man-yells-at-cloud-yelling.gif]

Reply/Quote
(02-04-2022, 12:32 AM)IsaacCurtis Wrote: The super bowl 23 team was way better than this.

Idk man. I just judge teams based on how they performed against their peers. Everyone plays by the same rules right now, and it's the Bengals in the Super Bowl (saying that doesn't get old).

I agree with ya about the rule changes though. If I take the gloves off, I'd say that defenses have been neutered, pass numbers artificially inflated, QBs are handled like they're fair maidens and we'll probably never see a defense like the 85 Bears or 00 Ravens ever again, which is unfortunate, IMO.

That said, again, all teams are playing by those rules though.

(02-04-2022, 12:35 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: [Image: old-man-yells-at-cloud-yelling.gif]

LOL
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2022, 12:35 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: [Image: old-man-yells-at-cloud-yelling.gif]

Age is irrelevant

It's obviously weaker now. They have no pads and no one tackles . If the Sport were real, Brady would have retired a decade ago.
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2022, 12:32 AM)IsaacCurtis Wrote: All modern nfl is flag football suckage

Tell that to the hundreds of NFL players who had their bones broken, or brains rattled, or ligaments and cartilage torn.

Cracks me up when some internet tough guy calls NFL players soft. 
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2022, 11:24 PM)Jugular Joe Wrote: This Jugular Joe just built different.   You should already recognize that.

Anderson won an MVP, led the league in passer rating 4 times and passing yards twice, and held the NFL single season completion record for over 20 years.

Anderson was also the #2 rusher on the '81 team with 320 yards and a 7.0 average per carry.  Anderson had two seasons with over 300 rushing yards and a 7.0+ average, and another season with 235 yards and a 8.4 avg.  Burrow has never rushed for more than 150 yards or averaged more than 3.8 per carry.
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2022, 01:50 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Tell that to the hundreds of NFL players who had their bones broken, or brains rattled, or ligaments and cartilage torn.

Cracks me up when some internet tough guy calls NFL players soft. 

Has nothing to do with internet tough guy.  
Injured? Like I said, if the Sport were real, Brady would have had to retire a decade ago. Hardly anyone gets injured. 
If players were really worried about getting injured, they'd have knee pads
Reply/Quote