Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
It’s time we moved from Gio.
If we’re going to get rid of aging, underperforming vets, then Gio needs the boot too.

You can’t tell me that we couldn’t replace him with some younger talent for cheaper than his salary.

No fumbles till today aside, what is he good for really?
Reply/Quote
Gio is the least of our problems.

And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

Reply/Quote
(12-13-2020, 06:06 PM)Arturo Bandini Wrote: Gio is the least of our problems.

But he’s not a solution either.
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2020, 06:06 PM)THE Bigzoman Wrote: But he’s not a solution either.

How many good new players do you realistically think a team can bring in in one offseason?  We need a corner, about 3 d-linemen, a receiver, a tight end or two, 3 (maybe 4, maybe 5) offensive linemen, a backup quarterback, another linebacker, and oh yeah a placekicker, too.  But yeah, I think our consistently solid backup RB is the thing that we need to change up to get this on track.  Right.
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2020, 06:15 PM)samhain Wrote: How many good new players do you realistically think a team can bring in in one offseason?  We need a corner, about 3 d-linemen, a receiver, a tight end or two, 3 (maybe 4, maybe 5) offensive linemen, a backup quarterback, another linebacker, and oh yeah a placekicker, too.  But yeah, I think our consistently solid backup RB is the thing that we need to change up to get this on track.  Right.

Serviceable RBs aren’t hard to find. You could put it at the bottom of your list and nail it if you get it right.
Plenty of guys can catch a check down and get taken down by the first tackler.
Reply/Quote
Trayveon looked serviceable.
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2020, 06:24 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Trayveon looked serviceable.

“Serviceable” won’t win championships.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2020, 06:25 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: “Serviceable” won’t win championships.

Great, so we’re in agreement?
Reply/Quote
Wow......
Reply/Quote
I like Gio, but our fans have overrated him for years. I think partially because he is so likable (Gio van, does the little things, good teammate etc). The claims that he’s a better all around RB than Mixon were/are ludicrous. We’re sorely missing both Joe’s.

Reply/Quote
Gio is pretty solid most of the time. If we had a better line, his stats today would be different. As stated earlier, he's the least of our problems right now. He gives his all. More than I can say for some on this team. I would get rid of AJG before I would get rid of Gio, and AJ had a decent game today.

Reply/Quote
(12-13-2020, 06:04 PM)THE Bigzoman Wrote: No fumbles till today aside, what is he good for really?

He's one of the better backs in the league at picking up the blitz on passing downs.

He's one of the best back in the league when he catches the ball in space.

He's, by all accounts, great in the locker room and a team player.

All that said, we are paying him entirely way too much money.  As much I like Gio he's simply not worth anywhere close to 5 mil a year.  ESPECIALLY when we now have 10+ mil commited to Mixon moving forward.

The Bengals either need to cut Gio, or renogiate his contract.  Sign him to an extenstion with a little bonus as incentive, and bring the hit way down.  Tell him he's getting cut, or he can take a 3 year 7-9 million deal with 3 mil up front.

I will say one more thing in his favor, we've completely misused him for years and years and years.  More competent coodinators would find ways to make better use of his unique skillset.
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2020, 06:04 PM)THE Bigzoman Wrote: If we’re going to get rid of aging, underperforming vets, then Gio needs the boot too.

You can’t tell me that we couldn’t replace him with some younger talent for cheaper than his salary.

No fumbles till today aside, what is he good for really?

RB is one of the positions you can get quality production from a cheap contract. Whether that be a veteran not signed right away, a draft pick, or even a UDFA.

Look at JAX. They moved on from 1st round pick Leonard Fournette, who had nearly 1700 yards from scrimmage last year. They went with UDFA James Robinson, who has 1361 yards through 13 games. 

The Bengals have the 16th most money going to RBs this year ($6.3 mill), and they currently have the most going to RBs next year ($16.3 mill).
If you are going to have the most money going to RBs, you damn well better have a Top 5 running attack. But no, they have a Bottom 5 rushing attack because their OL is terrible and they have to play from behind too much.

The Bengals can free up $4.1 mill next year if they cut Bernard. They should at least do that to have more money go to the trenches, and probably see if they can find a trade partner for Mixon if someone would be dumb enough to take on that contract. If not, roll with Mixon for 2021 and then dump him in 2022 if he's not a Top 10 RB in 2021. His dead cap is only $6 mill in 2022, which would be a $4.7 mill cap savings.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(12-13-2020, 06:34 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Gio is pretty solid most of the time. If we had a better line, his stats today would be different. As stated earlier, he's the least of our problems right now. He gives his all. More than I can say for some on this team. I would get rid of AJG before I would get rid of Gio, and AJ had a decent game today.

Gio ran behind the same line Williams did, but the latter definitely looked better.

Reply/Quote
(12-13-2020, 06:25 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: “Serviceable” won’t win championships.

But it will win a roster spot on the Bengals.  Ninja

Reply/Quote
I wonder how they measure his stats in space. Last big play he broke in space was against the Clowns on a screen pass some years back. Dude doesn’t break the first tackler with elusiveness anymore.
Reply/Quote
I have to agree,Gio is just too expensive.Can’t justify keeping him at the current salary.We have good young talent.
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2020, 06:44 PM)THE Bigzoman Wrote: I wonder how they measure his stats in space. Last big play he broke in space was against the Clowns on a screen pass some years back. Dude doesn’t break the first tackler with elusiveness anymore.

He's had quite a few catches this year where's done a lot in space.
Reply/Quote
Not a fan of his price, but he isn't the problem. He's a guy that does great when the play suits him. He isn't an every down back and should have never been seen that way. Unfortunately, he was paid a pretty penny.

[Image: tumblr_nmz43uky8c1rtim7ko1_500.gif]

Feel free to support my Film/TV Review YouTube Channel  - Youtube.Com/NaterTot
Reply/Quote
There seems to be a theme here that unless it’s one of the absolute biggest problems with the team (OL & DL) it shouldn’t be a topic for discussion. I don’t think anyone would claim Gio, or Sample, or Josh Bynes, etc are “the problem” but it’s fair to me to point out they’re players we probably need to move on from/upgrade.

Reply/Quote