Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
It’s time we moved from Gio.
(12-22-2020, 02:03 PM)Wire22Wire Wrote: no you are not

I love Cincy Fans - OH MY GOSH, GIO IS AWESOME NOW and worth 5M!

Last night changes nothing; he is a waste of money on this team

Lol,   3 wins teams cant have the 7th and 16th highest paid RBs in the league - he still needs to go (2 years too late)

Wasn't 100 percent serious with this post. I was overjoyed with a performance that exceeded expectations Monday night. 

I think i'm with other people that say he's at least overpaid. I'm leaning towards not wanting him gone unless we somehow got proven commodities with any available spending money we'd get with cutting him.
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2020, 02:03 PM)Wire22Wire Wrote: no you are not

I love Cincy Fans - OH MY GOSH, GIO IS AWESOME NOW and worth 5M!

Last night changes nothing; he is a waste of money on this team

Lol,   3 wins teams cant have the 7th and 16th highest paid RBs in the league - he still needs to go (2 years too late)

I took a quick look through your post history and did not see a single positive post.  I'll give ya this has been a terrible year.  But lighten up Francis.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-25-2020, 02:54 AM)Spider Wrote: Great idea!!.. Lets cut ties with one of the few Men and i say Men because he is the man!! Based on what??

Because he makes entitely way too much money for the production he provides.

You don't pay Gio Bernard as much as Austin Ekeler because he's a good blocker and a good teammate.  "The man" has averaged 500 total yards of offense these last 3 seasons.

To continue to pay that high of price (Average Starting Running Back Price), when you just commited to a 12 mil per deal with Joe Mixon, is a terrible use of cap space.
Reply/Quote
(12-25-2020, 05:04 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Because he makes entitely way too much money for the production he provides.

You don't pay Gio Bernard as much as Austin Ekeler because he's a good blocker and a good teammate.  "The man" has averaged 500 total yards of offense these last 3 seasons.

To continue to pay that high of price (Average Starting Running Back Price), when you just commited to a 12 mil per deal with Joe Mixon, is a terrible use of cap space.

So by your comparison Ekeler is overpaid since he still has not accomplished what Gio did in his 1st 4 years. And this year Eckler is overpaid paid also for hiis performance. I'm not saying resign Gio but  Eckler is also overpaid by Gio standard of when he got contract. 
Reply/Quote
(12-25-2020, 05:20 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: 1.) So by your comparison Ekeler is overpaid since he still has not accomplished what Gio did in his 1st 4 years.

2.) And this year Eckler is overpaid paid also for hiis performance.

3.) Eckler is also overpaid by Gio standard of when he got contract. 

1.) How has he not accomplished what Gio did in his first 4 years?  What are you basing this off of? And what does it matter? Gio didn't sign his extension after his 4 years, he signed it after year 6 when he was coming off back-to-back terrible seasons.

Ekeler had 1,550 yards from scrimmage last season.  Had 11 total TD's.  Caught 92 balls for 993 yards.  Had a near 1,000 yards from scrimmage the year prior in only 14 games, and sharing the backfield with a Pro Bowler in Melvin Gordon.

2.) How so?  If a player misses time they're automatically overpaid? 

Ekeler has over 800 yards from scrimmage this year in only 8 games played.  He's averaging a healthy 4.7 a carry.  Ekeler has put up top 10, and probably top 5 production when healthy this year.  He's played up to his contract and then some.

3.) Please explain.  Seriously, give me numbers to help explain how you think signing a 24 year old running back to a 6 mil per deal when they accomplished what he did last season makes his contract seem as if he's overpaid.
Reply/Quote
(12-25-2020, 07:01 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: 1.) How has he not accomplished what Gio did in his first 4 years?  What are you basing this off of?  And what does it matter?  Gio didn't sign his extension after his 4 years, he signed it after year 6 when he was coming off back-to-back terrible seasons.

Ekeler had 1,550 yards from scrimmage last season.  Had 11 total TD's.  Caught 92 balls for 993 yards.  Had a near 1,000 yards from scrimmage the year prior in only 14 games, and sharing the backfield with a Pro Bowler in Melvin Gordon.

2.) How so?  If a player misses time they're automatically overpaid? 

Ekeler has over 800 yards from scrimmage this year in only 8 games played.  He's averaging a healthy 4.7 a carry.  Ekeler has put up top 10, and probably top 5 production when healthy this year.  He's played up to his contract and then some.

3.) Please explain.  Seriously, give me numbers to help explain how you think signing a 24 year old running back to a 6 mil per deal when they accomplished what he did last season makes his contract seem as if he's overpaid.
My point is Gio numbers and Austin's number are very comparable after first 3 yrs so if you believe Gio is way overpaid on 2nd  contact how is Austin not?  And this has been disappointing season since Austin has been hurt so he gets big contract and misses 6 games this year.
Reply/Quote
(12-25-2020, 09:15 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: My point is Gio numbers and Austin's number are very comparable after first 3 yrs so if you believe Gio is way overpaid on 2nd  contact how is Austin not?  And this has been disappointing season since Austin has been hurt so he gets big contract and misses 6 games this year.

Gio is on his 3rd contract.  He got an extension after year 3, and then another one after year 6.

If Gio's numbers were the same as his first 3 years when he signed the year 6 extension then I wouldn't have a problem with it.  But they're nowhere even close.

You don't pay a guy 5 mil a year who's coming off a 458 yard, 2 TD season, followed by a 211 yard 0 TD season. (Only averaged 220 yards receiving over these 2 years as well)

My point is that Gio's is overpaid on his 3rd contract.  You can't base his value moving forward on what happened 5 years ago.  That's not how this league or negotiations works.  Just because Gio was better in years 1 through 3 doesn't mean you ignore years 4 through 8.  That's insane.
Reply/Quote
Until they bring in someone that can unseat Gio from his role at 3rd down, change of pace back, and featured back #2, there is no reason to part ways with him.

Raw stats are only part of the story, but he showed that he can still score the ball Monday Night.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
This thread hasn't aged well. Gio has played fantastic
Reply/Quote
(12-25-2020, 09:51 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Gio is on his 3rd contract.  He got an extension after year 3, and then another one after year 6.

If Gio's numbers were the same as his first 3 years when he signed the year 6 extension then I wouldn't have a problem with it.  But they're nowhere even close.

You don't pay a guy 5 mil a year who's coming off a 458 yard, 2 TD season, followed by a 211 yard 0 TD season. (Only averaged 220 yards receiving over these 2 years as well)

My point is that Gio's is overpaid on his 3rd contract.  You can't base his value moving forward on what happened 5 years ago.  That's not how this league or negotiations works.  Just because Gio was better in years 1 through 3 doesn't mean you ignore years 4 through 8.  That's insane.

Maybe he is overpaid or maybe he was under used, but Austin is not a good comparison since he is only on his 2nd contract so when u compare them but deserved their 2nd contract.., Gio did get less $$ on his 2 yr contract than previous contract. 
Reply/Quote
(12-25-2020, 11:46 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Until they bring in someone that can unseat Gio from his role at 3rd down, change of pace back, and featured back #2, there is no reason to part ways with him.

Raw stats are only part of the story, but he showed that he can still score the ball Monday Night.

I'd add in that it's even more important that that replacement be as good at blocking as Gio is. His number 1 asset to the team right now is as JB's personal protector against the blitz.
Reply/Quote
Own it.....

or not
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote