Thread Rating:
  • 9 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
It's Time We Moved on from Burrow
Think I will stick it out with Burrow and yes these threads are stupid
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
(10-03-2023, 10:05 PM)NotBigzo Wrote: I've had it

Good, don't let the door hit ya on the way out.
(10-04-2023, 03:42 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote:
Well this board is officially Facebook level. Hope the mutants are happy with themselves.

You should've gotten more of the replies, I let that clown have it. Of course you would've had to edit a couple of words.... Hilarious

"Better send those refunds..."

(10-04-2023, 01:33 AM)Atomic Orange Wrote: I wanted Herbert and whatever else Miami was willing to give up - I believe the rumor was multiple #1's but I would have been fine with just Herbert. So much so that when it didn't happen I stopped posting in JN because I didn't want to be that negative guy.

But why? Because I saw a QB that couldn't play for Ohio State and had one MAGICAL season at LSU with a loaded roster. Thoughts of Akili popped into my head.

But his completion percentage and playoffs and Super bowl!? Thanks Defense and high percentage throws. And a stacked receiving core. And luck. It seems that once in a blue moon the football gods smile down and award the Bengals a AFC championship trophy.

Don't hate the guy just don't think he is Jesus. More like "Good Andy" but at $275 mil. and my gut says that contract is going to haunt this team for a long time.

FWIW I have felt this way for years, again I didn't want to be the negative guy. I saw this thread at the top and decided to let it all go.

It's okay my man. IT's what the thread is for.

I remenber Joe Brr's magical year at LSU and thought, "well, anyone could do that with Jamar Chase AND Justin Jefferson. He was carried but great playmakers to an extent no doubt.

I wanted Justin Herbert too.
These receipts are going to be priceless.

In Mr. Mackey's voice "drugs are bad, mmkay"
Won multiple playoff games with an utterly crap o line and half a second away from hitting chase to win Super Bowl if Mike had bought the average line we have today.

Yea- I remember Akili Smith doing all of this.
(10-04-2023, 10:56 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: These receipts are going to be priceless.

Some people don't have the cognitive or emotional maturity to admit when they're wrong. Even if Burrow was a to win a superbowl he would never say he's mistaken and would make up an excuse or claim Herbert would have won more. 
(10-04-2023, 01:14 PM)bengals67 Wrote: Won multiple playoff games with an utterly crap o line and half a second away from hitting chase to win Super Bowl if Mike had bought the average line we have today.

Yea- I remember Akili Smith doing all of this.

Joe's QB rating for this season is like 69 (nice). Akili Smith for his career is at 52. As bad as Joe has played this year (and it's been bad), it's still not to the level of Akili Smith.
[Image: giphy.gif]
(10-04-2023, 02:37 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Joe's QB rating for this season is like 69 (nice). Akili Smith for his career is at 52. As bad as Joe has played this year (and it's been bad), it's still not to the level of Akili Smith.

That's mind-blowing.
(10-04-2023, 03:05 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: That's mind-blowing.

Not if you watched him play! Hilarious

"Better send those refunds..."

Of all of the possible knee-jerk, jumping off the ledge sort of takes we've seen over the years, this one has to be near the top in terms of short sightedness. There is absolutely nothing wrong with Joe Burrow that getting physically healthy won't fix. Someone even compared his physical injury history to that of Andrew Luck, who tore his body up much more severely in snowboarding accidents than anything that happened to him on the football field.

Fellow fans, I implore you to hold your water, show a little fortitude and allow things to fully play out. This season certainly isn't what any of us expected it to be, but it's much, much too early to be thinking it's a total wash and that we should "move on" from our franchise QB. Mellow

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
(10-04-2023, 02:37 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Joe's QB rating for this season is like 69 (nice). Akili Smith for his career is at 52. As bad as Joe has played this year (and it's been bad), it's still not to the level of Akili Smith.

Well, if you adjust for inflation, a 69 rating in 2023 is pretty close to a 52 rating in 2000. Plus we are averaging 12.3 ppg. The all-time low was the Akili Bengals in 2000 at 11.6.

Also factor in that Akili was throwing to Peter Warrick and Ron Dugans. Not Chase, Higgins and Boyd.

So one could make an argument that he's been about as bad as Akili. This season, of course.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
(10-04-2023, 04:24 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Well, if you adjust for inflation, a 69 rating in 2023 is pretty close to a 52 rating in 2000. Plus we are averaging 12.3 ppg. The all-time low was the Akili Bengals in 2000 at 11.6.

Also factor in that Akili was throwing to Peter Warrick and Ron Dugans. Not Chase, Higgins and Boyd.

So one could make an argument that he's been about as bad as Akili. This season, of course.

I was just about to come in here and post this. Burrow, right now, is essentially playing at an Akili Smith level. Burrow's era adjusted passer rating is 71 currently. In 2000, Smith's was 65. In 1999, it was 74. 
(10-04-2023, 04:28 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: I was just about to come in here and post this. Burrow, right now, is essentially playing at an Akili Smith level. Burrow's era adjusted passer rating is 71 currently. In 2000, Smith's was 65. In 1999, it was 74. 

I guess a good comparison might be Boomer's decline in 1992? When Boomer was playing awful just a few years after being MVP? He posted a 57.0 rating that year.

Of course, I think Boomer's problem was more the offense and being angry with the team for firing Wyche and drafting Dave Klingler than anything injury related.

But yeah, we have to account for the era, and I'd say Joe is playing about as poorly as a QB can.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
(10-03-2023, 11:30 PM)NotBigzo Wrote: You've come a long way from calling me Nostra-freaking-damus. 

Yes, I did call you that.

Once.

Sarcastically.

81 months ago  Mellow
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Fan bases over react with the good and the bad.

When we’re doing good “we can easily go into arrowhead and beat the chiefs burrow is better than mahomes”

When we’re bad “it’s time we move on from burrow, this might be the worst quarterback in bengals history”

Fandom at its finest.
Again, I only thought of Smith pre-draft meaning they both had ONE good season (yes Burrow's was better, "MAGICAL", but it was still ONE SEASON - like Akili - and the rumor was - that much like the Smith draft a team was offering a boatload of picks for Burrow. Like three or four #1's.

So yeah when you get that kind of offer you do a little scouting right?

In Herbert I saw a raw rocket of a arm that was worth taking the offer for. I believe in my heart of hearts that Zac was also very interested in Herbert.

And the the other #1 picks.

We'll probably never know how interested he was but he and the team were under a great amount of pressure from fans to not pass on Joe Burrow.  This is a fact.

Take your receipts, and I guess we'll see what happens.

But it is always going to be my opinion a "elite" QB should make stars out of good players. Elite QB'S shouldn't need everything to be just right. Again that is Andy Dalton territory - he was torched for that. Everything needed to be perfect. And when it was in 2015, he was on his way to possible league MVP before suffering the thumb injury. 

(10-04-2023, 05:04 PM)ochocincoftw Wrote: Fan bases over react with the good and the bad.

When we’re doing good “we can easily go into arrowhead and beat the chiefs burrow is better than mahomes”

When we’re bad “it’s time we move on from burrow, this might be the worst quarterback in bengals history”

Fandom at its finest.

So every time I see you post, I think, "I don't remember posting this." lol
And then I realize it's just a slightly different handle!
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

(10-04-2023, 04:35 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I guess a good comparison might be Boomer's decline in 1992? When Boomer was playing awful just a few years after being MVP? He posted a 57.0 rating that year.

Of course, I think Boomer's problem was more the offense and being angry with the team for firing Wyche and drafting Dave Klingler than anything injury related.

But yeah, we have to account for the era, and I'd say Joe is playing about as poorly as a QB can.

Yeah, for Cincinnati the 1992 Esiason season and Smith's 1999 season are the best comparisons. Overall, a perfect comparison (as far as era adjusted passer rating goes) would be 2010 Jimmy Clausen. If you really wanna puke, another near perfect comparison is... 2000 Ryan Leaf. He posted an era adjusted rating of 70 to Burrow's 71.