Thread Rating:
  • 9 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
It's Time We Moved on from Burrow
(10-04-2023, 10:09 PM)NotBigzo Wrote: The 27 points in the first half is more than enough.

Except that it wasn't, for Herbert. 

Those 27 pts were because of 4 first half ints. The Chargers offense did nothing in the 2nd half without turnovers, against the 28/20th ranked defense.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
(10-04-2023, 10:11 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Except that it wasn't, for Herbert. 

Those 27 pts were because of 4 first half ints. The Chargers offense did nothing in the 2nd half without turnovers, against the 28/20th ranked defense.

Only team in NFL history to lose a playoff game with a +5 turnover differential.

Justin Herbert is Carson Palmer 2.0

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Herbert ain’t even the opps no more. Not with the emergence of Hurts staking claim to the best QB in the 2020 draft. And health is the only thing stunting Tua’s rise.

Herbert a distant 4th. Charger fans still try to force Herbert in the chat but they’ve been sufficiently silenced until Herbert at least makes the SB.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
(10-04-2023, 09:00 PM)NotBigzo Wrote: His stats are comparable to Burrow despite having an even more incompetent coach in Staley.

So you’re turning down a QB who is, at minimum, as good as Burrow plus a bevy of 1st round picks from Miami for what….exactly?

Yep, generational QB's don't grow on trees and the Dolphins must have had him head and shoulders above Herbert since they bypassed Justin to select Tua. 

I get the allure and love extra picks myself, but Burrow has proven worthy in my book. Yet if the Bengals did the same and took Tua after trading, they may just be just a concussion or two away from watching their QB retire as well. 

If you told me at the start of the draft that the Bengals could have those three 1st round picks or just get one pick and go to back to back AFCCG's and a SB in his first 3 seasons ? I'm taking the postseason wins every time over what could be. 

Plus have seen some of our first round picks when the Bengals select out of the top 5. Here is the last 7 picks when Bengals chose outside of the top 5 picks, which all of the Dolphins picks were

Cedric Ogbuehi
William Jackson III
John Ross
Billy Price
Jonah Williams
Dax Hill
Myles Murphy

Would have a very hard time choosing three players out of these Bengals 1st rounders that weren't in the top 5 
for Joe "Freakin" Burrow, and I'm a big Dax Hill fan.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
I don’t look at peoples post history. I know who’s who around here. Those I care to know. And those I don’t. I’m defending opinions. Whether we agree with them or not.

And that post was directed to the I told you so crowd and which side of fandom that typically comes from and why the attempted blow falls flat in the midst of whatever we celebrating at the time it comes up.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
(10-04-2023, 05:20 PM)Atomic Orange Wrote: Again, I only thought of Smith pre-draft meaning they both had ONE good season (yes Burrow's was better, "MAGICAL", but it was still ONE SEASON - like Akili - and the rumor was - that much like the Smith draft a team was offering a boatload of picks for Burrow. Like three or four #1's.

So yeah when you get that kind of offer you do a little scouting right?

In Herbert I saw a raw rocket of a arm that was worth taking the offer for. I believe in my heart of hearts that Zac was also very interested in Herbert.

And the the other #1 picks.

We'll probably never know how interested he was but he and the team were under a great amount of pressure from fans to not pass on Joe Burrow.  This is a fact.

Take your receipts, and I guess we'll see what happens.

But it is always going to be my opinion a "elite" QB should make stars out of good players. Elite QB'S shouldn't need everything to be just right. Again that is Andy Dalton territory - he was torched for that. Everything needed to be perfect. And when it was in 2015, he was on his way to possible league MVP before suffering the thumb injury. 

We spent ten years blaming the QB for every little thing that went wrong, now we're here and blaming everyone but him...wonder how long that'll last if he theoretically doesn't bounce back?  I have faith he'll bounce back, personally, but damn it's ugly this year. That other dude wasn't even watching film. Yikes!

"Better send those refunds..."

Why are folks slamming Herbert? He's a great young QB.

Folks around here who think Zac is a bad OC need to know who Brandon Staley is.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(10-04-2023, 10:28 PM)WychesWarrior Wrote: We spent ten years blaming the QB for every little thing that went wrong, now we're here and blaming everyone but him...wonder how long that'll last if he theoretically doesn't bounce back?  I have faith he'll bounce back, personally, but damn it's ugly this year. That other dude wasn't even watching film. Yikes!

That’s the weirdest thing about the Burrow debate honestly, juju conjuring aside.

People insist he’s elite but also insist on coddling him as if he’s Andy Dalton.
(10-04-2023, 11:04 PM)NotBigzo Wrote: That’s the weirdest thing about the Burrow debate honestly, juju conjuring aside.

People insist he’s elite but also insist on coddling him as if he’s Andy Dalton.

And you insist on acting like the past 2 years didn't happen. Instead you focus on 4 games when Burrow is hurt to defend an opinion you've been sitting on since he was drafted.

You caring more about wanting to be right about your opinion regarding Burrow vs Herbert compared to caring about the actual success the Bengals have had is why people call you a troll and not a fan.
(10-04-2023, 10:49 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Why are folks slamming Herbert? He's a great young QB.

Herbert is a fine QB that I like, but personally would not trade Burrow for him. 

Roam the Jungle !
(10-04-2023, 09:25 PM)jason Wrote: Our RBs have sucked since Jeremy Hill's one hit wonder season. The defense makes some plays here and there, but let's not act like they've carried this team anywhere. Are we pretending Keenan Allen and Ekeler aren't really great weapons... Both Burrow and Herbert could be helped out by some coaching upgrades.

(10-04-2023, 10:49 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Why are folks slamming Herbert? He's a great young QB.

Jason pretty much sums it up in this post. But yes, Staley is even worse than Zac. No idea how he still has a job.

(10-04-2023, 11:43 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Herbert is a fine QB that I like, but personally would not trade Burrow for him. 

I've said before I wouldn't trade JB for anyone. But that feeling has an expiration date. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(10-04-2023, 10:17 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Justin Herbert is Carson Palmer 2.0

Phil Rivers 2.0 is just sitting there, same team and uniform.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
(10-04-2023, 11:39 PM)TheFan Wrote: And you insist on acting like the past 2 years didn't happen. Instead you focus on 4 games when Burrow is hurt to defend an opinion you've been sitting on since he was drafted.

You caring more about wanting to be right about your opinion regarding Burrow vs Herbert compared to caring about the actual success the Bengals have had is why people call you a troll and not a fan.

I couldn’t care less about meeting other fans criteria of what a fan should think or feel in order to be a real fan, especially if it requires being in some La La land where our QB—who currently is Akili Smith bad—is better than a QB who, at minimum is just as good as him PLUS a bevy of first round picks.
(10-05-2023, 12:20 AM)bfine32 Wrote: I've said before I wouldn't trade JB for anyone. But that feeling has an expiration date. 

Of course it would have an expiration date, but the debate was about the draft. 

Yet one calf injury at the beginning of the year will not kick in my expiration date though.  

Roam the Jungle !
(10-04-2023, 11:04 PM)NotBigzo Wrote: That’s the weirdest thing about the Burrow debate honestly, juju conjuring aside.

Yeah, it is kinda interesting to sit back and watch. One player bailed out 14 every game .... we've got TB, Tee, and Uno running routes and no one is bailing out the QB now. Actually, the flip flopping from some fans is downright fascinating to watch. Andy did get the benefit of a good oline, but he had AJ Green and Marvin Jones was here a minute (and missed a year). Eifert couldn't stay on the field, the rest were REALLY overrated by the fans. Boyd came into the fold, then we got Ogbuehi and Fisher and that sunk the offense with 14 back there. Some even downright admitted they didn't like him because he had red hair. 

Disclaimer, in no way am I suggesting that good Andy is anywhere near good Joe's level, I'm just talking about the fans split personality.

"Better send those refunds..."

(10-05-2023, 07:01 AM)NotBigzo Wrote: I couldn’t care less about meeting other fans criteria of what a fan should think or feel in order to be a real fan, especially if it requires being in some La La land where our QB—who currently is Akili Smith bad—is better than a QB who, at minimum is just as good as him PLUS a bevy of first round picks.

That ship sailed, get over it. 

Nobody is offering anybody a proven QB and a bevy of picks now and don't think anybody is in La La Land and happy with what's going on presently either. Just not everybody is running around screaming the sky is falling.  

If you want picks ? Higgins or Chase are the ones who could presently be moved for picks and bet you could find many WR's doing much better than them 
in this small sample size window of just this season you're using as your measuring stick. Yet that is a knee jerk reaction as well. 

Burrow is signed, sealed, and delivered already and not going anywhere anytime soon.   

Roam the Jungle !
(10-04-2023, 10:17 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Justin Herbert is Carson Palmer 2.0

I really do think Palmer is a spot on comparison for Herbert. Big, cannon-armed quarterbacks with some athleticism. Of course, Herbert has incorporated his athletic abilities more into his game than Palmer did but they are very similar players. 
While I do think we stand a better chance winning with one of the healthy backup QB's right now. This is Joe Burrows team until he retires. I just want a healthy Burrow ASAP and I think that was sitting him and not letting him play.