Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
It's True: Geno Is The Best Defensive Player In The League
(10-10-2018, 01:18 PM)WychesWarrior Wrote: Because, Bengals.  If he doesn't make it......you KNOW there's a bias.

If he stays healthy, he could end up with over 100 sacks. Bengals or not, a DT with those numbers is going in.
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2018, 12:16 AM)Circleville Guy Wrote: If he stays healthy, he could end up with over 100 sacks. Bengals or not, a DT with those numbers is going in.

True....but Ken Anderson's numbers are better than a lot of QBs from his era who are in the Hall, yet he is not.  He had league records that stood for years.....while some QBs were throwing as many INTs as TDs, and those guys are in.  It's hard to overlook that. Ken Riley is another.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
It should be simple enough to just say both Munoz and Adkins were/are the best at their respective positions. We'll never know how Munoz might have played as a DT nor how Geno might have played as an OT..  It's comparing apples and oranges .  Both are among the greatest at their positions. Although Geno probably deserves the Defensive player of the year award he's a Bengal and not with one of the league darling teams..  Hell, if he played for one of the perennial playoff teams he probably would have already been DPOTY on multiple occasions. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(10-11-2018, 08:21 AM)grampahol Wrote: It should be simple enough to just say both Munoz and Adkins were/are the best at their respective positions. We'll never know how Munoz might have played as a DT nor how Geno might have played as an OT..  It's comparing apples and oranges .  Both are among the greatest at their positions. Although Geno probably deserves the Defensive player of the year award he's a Bengal and not with one of the league darling teams..  Hell, if he played for one of the perennial playoff teams he probably would have already been DPOTY on multiple occasions. 

I agree with this for sure.  Munoz is most likely the best LT to ever play the game to this point.  Geno could claim that for his position if he keeps it up.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(10-08-2018, 03:41 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: I started watching the NFL back in the late 80’s, I remember thinking that Sapp was the best DT that I’d ever seen. I don’t know if there’s a sack list by position or a position ranking somewhere but Geno has to be way up there. Most of the DLine stat leaders have to be at DE. I don’t think that the Bengals would even need to win a playoff game for Geno to make the hall. It seems like fans, players and even Marvin praise AJ as being great and the best Bengal. I think that Geno is by far the best Bengal. He doesn’t whiff or get beat the way AJ drops balls. Many times Geno has to beat a double team to do what he does. I wish there was a way to track stats that the DE puts up because of the DT. A lot of times it’s the DT doing the work and the DE reaping the praise and awards. Geno is incredible!

Did you watch Reggie White back then?
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2018, 05:42 AM)Wyche Wrote: True....but Ken Anderson's numbers are better than a lot of QBs from his era who are in the Hall, yet he is not.  He had league records that stood for years.....while some QBs were throwing as many INTs as TDs, and those guys are in.  It's hard to overlook that. Ken Riley is another.

I think Ken Riley is the only real no-brainer. How a guy could be 5th all-time in INT's and NOT be in the HOF is mind-boggling. The only other guy in the top 12 in that category that isn't in the HOF (or headed there very soon) is Dave Brown. It seems the problem for both Riley and Brown is that they both lacked accolades. Riley made no Pro Bowls, with 1 first team All-Pro. Brown only made 1 Pro Bowl.

Kenny Anderson is borderline, IMO. His numbers compare favorably to guys like Bradshaw and Stabler, but Kenny doesn't have the Super Bowl glory like those guys. Only 4 Pro Bowls and 1 first team All-Pro (same as the Snake and more than Bradshaw, but again...no rings). Had some really rough years in the late 70's, when his own team tried to replace him. 

Ultimately I do think Kenny should be in, but I don't think he's a guy I'd point to as evidence of Bengal bias. 

(10-11-2018, 11:47 AM)t3r3e3 Wrote: Did you watch Reggie White back then?

Reggie was a DE.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote