Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
It's been talked about, but I am still just amazed...
At what Lou Anarumo and his gang did to the Chiefs in the 2nd half of the game..... twice!!! I really can't wait to see what the addition of Ossai and hopefully one of the best DB or DT in the draft gives him. And I hope we can pick LarryO back up on the cheap with the knowledge he'll start the season on IR to let him fully heal. Get him in there with fresh legs for the second half of the season and playoffs.
Reply/Quote
It was amazing. Now everyone has one more year in Lou's system and Lou has had another year to add/subtract players that fit his system.
I see both Offense and Defense being that much better in 2022.
Reply/Quote
Agreed. Those are two of my favorite games of all time as a Bengals fan.

That said. Given the fact that we face Watson twice/year now (Browns owned us w Baker!!) and a healthy Lamar Jackson (not as concerned w him) …..along w all of the other stacked AFC teams loaded w talent, we need to improve on both sides of the football to get back to the SB.

We have for sure on O. Would love to see the D padded as well.
Reply/Quote
Let’s not forget the run defense in the Super Bowl. It was STOUT.
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2022, 01:32 PM)Sled21 Wrote: At what Lou Anarumo and his gang did to the Chiefs in the 2nd half of the game..... twice!!! I really can't wait to see what the addition of Ossai and hopefully one of the best DB or DT in the draft gives him. And I hope we can pick LarryO back up on the cheap with the knowledge he'll start the season on IR to let him fully heal. Get him in there with fresh legs for the second half of the season and playoffs.

I agree.   When we went down in the playoff game against 'em, my wife was pretty well throwing in the towel, and I had to remind her of what we had done a few weeks prior.    We had to perform to make it happen but I didn't feel out of it the 2nd time around when we were down by 21.    Looking back on that - that is crazy when you think about it.

What will be really interesting is to see if the rest of the league changes up how they play D against KC moving forward.    Doing what we did one time could be considered luck.   But - we did it twice with the second time being in their house during the playoffs.    That isn't luck at  that point.    If KC hasn't adjusted to what we did, they may have a harder time getting back when they find other teams using a similar method to defend against them.  
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2022, 01:32 PM)Sled21 Wrote: At what Lou Anarumo and his gang did to the Chiefs in the 2nd half of the game..... twice!!! I really can't wait to see what the addition of Ossai and hopefully one of the best DB or DT in the draft gives him. And I hope we can pick LarryO back up on the cheap with the knowledge he'll start the season on IR to let him fully heal. Get him in there with fresh legs for the second half of the season and playoffs.

Even more in the AFC Championship, that was wild how Lou's D went from getting torched by Mahomes to adjusting in 
the second half and Mahomes not knowing what the hell was going on. 3 man rush and cover your guys and our rush still
got home, it was pretty amazing, that is the correct word for it.

I was one of the guys calling for Lou's head after the 2020 season. I was wrong, he knows what he is doing.
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2022, 01:53 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Even more in the AFC Championship, that was wild how Lou's D went from getting torched by Mahomes to adjusting in 
the second half and Mahomes not knowing what the hell was going on. 3 man rush and cover your guys and our rush still
got home, it was pretty amazing, that is the correct word for it.

I was one of the guys calling for Lou's head after the 2020 season. I was wrong, he knows what he is doing.

Exactly and to be fair Burrow has the same trouble against such defenses which is understandable. 7 and 8 back in coverage clogs it up drastically.  

Why I'm so glad we got run blockers who can make sure these 3 and 4 man rushes don't happen much anymore. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
Can't wait to see what Lou does with Ossai as well

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
The Bengals staff in general is underrated. Hobby and Golden proven coaches. I think that the defense was much better because the talent was overhauled in ‘21. But what Lou did in adjustments especially the second half Chiefs games was all coaching and adjustments. The offense in turn and Zac was handicapped by a poor OL. I think the offense takes a big leap in ‘22. But points per play we were 8th in ‘21 and ‘30 in ‘20. Second half points we were #8 in ‘21 and again #30 in ‘20. The offensive staff made some adjustments as well.

I’ve said this in other posts this team is still growing. Bigger upside than the Bills or Chiefs or Ravens. Maybe not Denver or LAC because of their FA. But the consistency of the roster, experience growth of the team centered around Burrow, and just the continuity is undervalued.
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2022, 02:01 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Can't wait to see what Lou does with Ossai as well

I watched him at Texas and he’s a beast
Reply/Quote

Whatever Adjustment Luo was making vs KC is the right one. lol..   KC will need to figure that out before the rest of the league does
Reply/Quote
Honestly, one of the most impressive things Lou did all year was change the defense after half. The differences weren't always as noticeable as the Chiefs game but I have to believe they were coming into games late in the year with a 1st half/2nd half game plan because the adjustments weren't things you'd do in a 15 minute half time.
Reply/Quote
It's an easy adjustment for KC.... all they had to do was run the ball vs. us at any point. They were getting nearly 6 yards a carry.

The fact they couldn't figure it out to me is more stupidity than something they need to fix.
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2022, 02:00 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Exactly and to be fair Burrow has the same trouble against such defenses which is understandable. 7 and 8 back in coverage clogs it up drastically.  

Why I'm so glad we got run blockers who can make sure these 3 and 4 man rushes don't happen much anymore. 

True, need to run the ball when Defenses do the 3 man rush.
Reply/Quote
Not only that, but the difference in defensive play in regular season vs. postseason. The regular season defense was fine, it did well enough. The defense in the postseason was ELITE. Against strong competition, too. Very impressive all around.
Reply/Quote
Would love to see Tre Flowers back to neutralize TEs
Reply/Quote

And the confidence of the team. I watched some sideline conversations among the Bengals players and they emanated confidence even down three scores. Even in Arrowhead. I think a lot of teams might have mailed it in seeing how easily KC was moving the ball in the first half of those games, but the Bengals totally turned it around. 

And a shout out to Uzomah when he created the "Why not us" slogan back in August, when media gurus were picking the Bengals near the bottom of the league and fourth in the AFC. And whoever the creative genius who changed it later to "It's Us. We them."
Reply/Quote
Love Ossai. He is fast, strong and huge motor. Never quits on a play kinda like Hendrickson.
He will make a big impact this year and with our FA signings, I'd see we'll focus on CB, S, TE and Defense?
But it does feel good to be in a position to take BPA for once instead of swinging and for the most part missing on team needs.
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have. Vince Lombardi
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2022, 03:12 PM)Big_Ern Wrote: Would love to see Tre Flowers back to neutralize TEs

Absolutely.. Flowers was our TE assassin..  For years the Bengals have had problems with TEs.. They got a guy who can cover them..They better not let him slip away.. 
Lou's secret? Never smile even when talking to Lapham..  Ninja
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote

Those two games are on my DVR.  I've watched decades of Bengals and I've never seen a better clinic on dissecting a defense from a Bengals team the way Burrow and his receivers did.  Patrick who?
Reply/Quote