Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
It's been talked about, but I am still just amazed...
(03-25-2022, 08:17 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Of course, you know our division foes are a home and away....I love that the Bengals play the AFC East this year.  Dolphins might get a lot of offseason pub, but they will not have an easy time against the Bengals defense. Also love that we get them and Buffalo at home.

One game that will surely be a primetime game now that TB12 has returned is the Tampa game.  Brady vs. Burrow.  Too bad that is a road game...could end up being in Germany!  

2022 Season

HOME
  • Atlanta Falcons
  • Baltimore Ravens
  • Buffalo Bills
  • Carolina Panthers
  • Cleveland Browns
  • Kansas City Chiefs
  • Miami Dolphins
  • Pittsburgh Steelers
AWAY
  • Baltimore Ravens
  • Cleveland Browns
  • Dallas Cowboys
  • New England Patriots
  • New Orleans Saints
  • New York Jets
  • Pittsburgh Steelers
  • Tampa Bay Buccaneers
  • Tennessee Titans

Thanks man, haven't looked at the schedule yet honestly. Too much going on. No Colts I see but I love we get to play 
the Bills, will be looking forward to that game and the Tampa game which as you say is hopefully in Germany where 
there will be probably a lot more Bengals fans than Bucs fans.

Isn't it nice looking forward to playing the best instead of dreading us getting our asses kicked?
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2022, 08:17 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Of course, you know our division foes are a home and away....I love that the Bengals play the AFC East this year.  Dolphins might get a lot of offseason pub, but they will not have an easy time against the Bengals defense. Also love that we get them and Buffalo at home.

One game that will surely be a primetime game now that TB12 has returned is the Tampa game.  Brady vs. Burrow.  Too bad that is a road game...could end up being in Germany!  

2022 Season

HOME
  • Atlanta Falcons
  • Baltimore Ravens
  • Buffalo Bills
  • Carolina Panthers
  • Cleveland Browns
  • Kansas City Chiefs
  • Miami Dolphins
  • Pittsburgh Steelers
AWAY
  • Baltimore Ravens
  • Cleveland Browns
  • Dallas Cowboys
  • New England Patriots
  • New Orleans Saints
  • New York Jets
  • Pittsburgh Steelers
  • Tampa Bay Buccaneers
  • Tennessee Titans

Bengals.com states:

The formula for each team's 17-game schedule includes:
  • home and away games against its three division opponents (6 games)
  • the four teams from another division within its conference on a rotating three-year cycle (4 games)
  • the four teams from a division in the other conference on a rotating four-year cycle (4 games)
  • three games against conference opponents based on the prior year's standings (3 games)

However, I assume that last point is not worded precisely.  

The first point is against our division (Browns, Ravens, Steelers). 

The second is the four teams in the AFC East (Bills, Patriots, Dolphins, Jets).

The third is the four teams in the NFC South (Tampa Bay, Saints, Falcons, and Panthers).

But the fourth only allows two games against 1st place opponents in its conference (1st place Chiefs and 1st place Titans). The other opponent is the 1st place Dallas in the "other conference." I guess it could just say "against opponents" based on the prior year standings. Probably an artifact of the way worded when 16 games. 

At any rate, those are the three that we have different from the Ravens, Steelers, and Browns (the Chiefs, the Titans, and the Cowboys). 
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2022, 02:14 PM)Nepa Wrote: Bengals.com states:

The formula for each team's 17-game schedule includes:

• home and away games against its three division opponents (6 games)
  • the four teams from another division within its conference on a rotating three-year cycle (4 games)
  • the four teams from a division in the other conference on a rotating four-year cycle (4 games)
  • three games against conference opponents based on the prior year's standings (3 games)

However, I assume that last point is not worded precisely.  

The first point is against our division (Browns, Ravens, Steelers). 

The second is the four teams in the AFC East (Bills, Patriots, Dolphins, Jets).

The third is the four teams in the NFC South (Tampa Bay, Saints, Falcons, and Panthers).

But the fourth only allows two games against 1st place opponents in its conference (1st place Chiefs and 1st place Titans). The other opponent is the 1st place Dallas in the "other conference." I guess it could just say "against opponents" based on the prior year standings. Probably an artifact of the way worded when 16 games. 

At any rate, those are the three that we have different from the Ravens, Steelers, and Browns (the Chiefs, the Titans, and the Cowboys). 

Honestly after we beat the Chiefs twice this year and the Titans I am not afraid of any team on that sched.

Tampa won't be the same, they are losing a lot of players. The Bills are about the only team that I am interested in seeing how
we match up. The Dolphins look good on paper but Tua doesn't scare me at all or that Defense. The Pats are good but I don't
think they are world beaters with Mac.

Happy we played the AFC West last year. That is the Division that scares me a bit, the Broncos, Chargers and Raiders should
all be very good this year with their additions.
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2022, 07:30 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I know I will get crushed for this, but judging Lou's defense based on just two halves against KC is like judging his defense based on just 2 halves against the Jets.  Too be honest I don't really understand what happened in any of those games.  

Claiming our scheme gets the credit for stopping Mahommes is just too simplistic.  The fact is he played terrible for some reason.  Missed a lot of reads he usually makes.  If our scheme was the reason we shut him down in the second half of the first game then why didn't we shut him down the first half of the second game?  

After the Jets game there was a lot of talk about how the Bengals defense had been "exposed" by a very simple scheme.  At the time I did not know exactly what happened in the Jets game. It looked to me like we just forgot how to tackle for an entire game.  But I did not think it was the simple scheme that had destroyed our defense.  And this was proven true because not even the bets teams in the league were able to abuse us the way a back up QB on a last place team did.

I don't want to say our defense "got lucky" because they played great.  But I think it was Kurt Warner who showed a bunch of plays where our defense left guys open and Mahommes made the wrong reads.  There were also multiple plays where he could have ran for big gains, but he did not even try.  I don't know how to explain it, but it clearly was not as simple as just rushing 3 and dropping 8 in coverage. Instead it was just a case of our defense playing their absolute best while Mahommes played poorly.

They're both true. 

They made adjustments and Mahomes missed some plays. It looked to me like they took away his tendencies and he wasn't able to adjust. I'm not sure how much they did similar in the first half when he went off, but in the 2nd half he didn't get outside the pocket as much to make those big plays and he seemed to be locked on to 'what he usually does' and the Bengals played it better in the 2nd half. 

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2022, 10:40 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: They're both true. 

They made adjustments and Mahomes missed some plays. It looked to me like they took away his tendencies and he wasn't able to adjust. I'm not sure how much they did similar in the first half when he went off, but in the 2nd half he didn't get outside the pocket as much to make those big plays and he seemed to be locked on to 'what he usually does' and the Bengals played it better in the 2nd half. 

We spied him, if he would of tried to get out of the pocket Hubbard would of ran him down or Wilson.

Mahomes just needed to be better passing out of the pocket and seeing the open man. He wasn't thankfully.

The Chiefs will adjust but now they don't have Tyreek Hill either to scare Defenses.

We caught the Chiefs at their toughest and beat them twice, pretty awesome.
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2022, 04:08 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: We spied him, if he would of tried to get out of the pocket Hubbard would of ran him down or Wilson.

Mahomes just needed to be better passing out of the pocket and seeing the open man. He wasn't thankfully.

The Chiefs will adjust but now they don't have Tyreek Hill either to scare Defenses.

We caught the Chiefs at their toughest and beat them twice, pretty awesome.

They spied him on like 6 plays with Wilson and Hubbard (about 3 each). Hubbard was dropping into coverage several times too. It's not as easy as to just say "they spied him". 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2022, 08:48 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: You are going to get crushed for this. We were spying Mahomes with Hubbard and rushing 3 and getting home. Mahomes is 
best on the run out of the pocket and everyone that watched him knows this. You keep him in the pocket and cover, but this 
was the first time I saw the 3 man rush with a QB spy against him and it proved this to be true. No one ever did it better than
our Defense against Mahomes in the 2nd half of the AFC Championship game, no one ever did it better.

Sure, he might of missed a few guys that might of been open at one point but that was because of confusion and timing.

No need to cut down our Defense as they were the reason for Mahomes struggles.

There was one other ingredient. We also showed one thing pre snap on defense then ran a completely different scheme of coverage. It took away Mahomes pre snap reads and made him read and diagnose while the play was running. That is part of how you see open receivers not thrown to - it slows down the entire operation of the offense. The "rush 3 drop 8" worked because our rush 3 were VERY disciplined in how they did it as was the spy (sometimes Hubbard sometimes Logan). They mush rushed and just kept him contained and gradually closed the noose so he couldn't break a big running play. 

Not every defense can do it - it takes DL who are good rushers but also SMART. 
Reply/Quote