Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
It's settled.
(03-04-2018, 12:34 AM)jj22 Wrote: With no OT worthy of the 12th pick. Word out the combine it's down to Vita Vea or Derwin James if they stay at 12.

Who's your pick?

I like both players but if it is between these two i go with the guy in the trenches, Vea. I think Billings will be much better this
year after getting over the ACL injury but this would be great insurance and we need to stop the run much better.

Vea is not a great pass rusher but he has great strength and is a great run stopper. Would help this team immediately, more
than Derwin i figure. That is what you want out of your first round pick.
Reply/Quote
From the sounds of rumors, if Nelson is there then he's the Bengals pick. But, since that most likely isn't the case, it wouldn't surprise me if it's Vea or a LB.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2018, 03:50 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: From the sounds of rumors, if Nelson is there then he's the Bengals pick. But, since that most likely isn't the case, it wouldn't surprise me if it's Vea or a LB.

Would love it if Nelson fell to 12. The thing is he can play OT too if we needed him to.
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2018, 03:55 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Would love it if Nelson fell to 12. The thing is he can play OT too if we needed him to.

I would personally run up to the podium if Nelson is there at 12

Reply/Quote
(03-05-2018, 03:47 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I like both players but if it is between these two i go with the guy in the trenches, Vea. I think Billings will be much better this
year after getting over the ACL injury but this would be great insurance and we need to stop the run much better.

Vea is not a great pass rusher but he has great strength and is a great run stopper. Would help this team immediately, more
than Derwin i figure. That is what you want out of your first round pick.
Again what are u not seeing. He's an amazing pass rusher for his size. His stats arent great bc he played nt in a 3-4. If Geno left for some reason, I would love it if he played 3-tech. He beats a double team with ease. The NFL has never seen anyone like him.
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2018, 04:24 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: I would personally run up to the podium if Nelson is there at 12

Since trading up is out of the question (depending on how close he got to 12).
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2018, 05:44 PM)Jpoore Wrote: Again what are u not seeing. He's an amazing pass rusher for his size. His stats arent great bc he played nt in a 3-4. If Geno left for some reason, I would love it if he played 3-tech. He beats a double team with ease. The NFL has never seen anyone like him.

From everything I've read they aren't even looking for a 3T. Ideally I'd prefer one too, but they seem to be trying to fix our run D. There's big DT options in the 2nd round but if we go somewhere other than OT in the first, we HAVE to go OT in the 2nd which limits our options.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2018, 05:44 PM)Jpoore Wrote: Again what are u not seeing. He's an amazing pass rusher for his size. His stats arent great bc he played nt in a 3-4. If Geno left for some reason, I would love it if he played 3-tech. He beats a double team with ease. The NFL has never seen anyone like him.

Vea is that good huh?

Need to watch some film on this guy, cause this is some hefty praise. Mellow
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2018, 02:43 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Here's the thing though. Vea will be placed at NT if a Bengal. While some believe he can rush the passer, he's not as prolific of a pass rusher compared to a nickel DT or true 3T. The Bengals would very likely use him as 2-down player.

Worth spending #12 overall for a player that is, at most, only going to get 50% of snaps a game, especially knowing that Billings is also likely to see some snaps at NT?

It kinda depends.  12 is a high price to pay for a NT in today's game, but if he's the best NT in the game, maybe that's different.  I don't know if he would be the best or not.  I have heard multiple people say things like best in the game. 

If a guy gives you a dominant force at any position, how much is that worth?  If no one can run on us, how much is that worth?

And teams throw plenty on first and second down.  If he can give you push up the middle on any down, it makes everyone else's jobs easier.   Give me any guy opponents have to game plan around and I'm a happy camper.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(03-05-2018, 04:24 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: I would personally run up to the podium if Nelson is there at 12

Absolutely.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(03-04-2018, 02:00 AM)Jakeypoo Wrote: Because nose tackles only play 30% of the time. If you draft someone at 12 on a Defensive lineman it should be on a premier pass rusher. Sapp was a 3 Technique.

Except he's not just a nose tackle.  He's a guy that can be a 3 down player in the nickel base that we run.
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2018, 12:34 AM)jj22 Wrote: With no OT worthy of the 12th pick. Word out the combine it's down to Vita Vea or Derwin James if they stay at 12.

Who's your pick?

I don't believe that statement one bit.

LB is in play and so is an OG.
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2018, 05:53 PM)jj22 Wrote: From everything I've read they aren't even looking for a 3T. Ideally I'd prefer one too, but they seem to be trying to fix our run D. There's big DT options in the 2nd round but if we go somewhere other than OT in the first, we HAVE to go OT in the 2nd which limits our options.
From everything I read from austin biggest thing is stopping the run. Vea would be perfect for that. He wouldn't be ideal as a 3-tech but he could be a slightly lesser Gerald McCoy. And nt, unstoppable one on. One.
(03-05-2018, 07:12 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Vea is that good huh?

Best games to watch if u do watch film? Ucla (pro style offense) stanford(power run scheme) and Oregon(spread offense). As mentioned above he  wouldn't be ideal at 3-tech, but he would be a slightly lesser version of Gerald McCoy as alass rusher. As a nt hed be perfect next to Geno bc be can't be doubled.  He played all over the line at Washington's 3-4 system. Dt, both de spot, he even played the joker. And I hope he runs his pro day bc he's a sub 5 second player. But yes he is that good and my second favorite player in the draft tied with big will. When u see vea being triple teamed by the entire left side of the oline against ucla, and still chasing down the qb and being disruptive, you'll understand.
Reply/Quote
This is a hard one but if no linebacker is available and they don't sign a free agent safety which I thinkm they will then my pick would definitely be derwin james,I hear he's a leader and he killed the combine. We would be getting a difference maker safety. Now if we get a free agent safety then yeah get vea ,but he reminds me alot of peko ,and we wasn't winning big games with peko. He could also be a haloti nata I guess which austin wanted on his defense last year. The year before he had Nick farly and I think sui whatever his name is.
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2018, 09:51 PM)McC Wrote: It kinda depends.  12 is a high price to pay for a NT in today's game, but if he's the best NT in the game, maybe that's different.  I don't know if he would be the best or not.  I have heard multiple people say things like best in the game. 

If a guy gives you a dominant force at any position, how much is that worth?  If no one can run on us, how much is that worth?

And teams throw plenty on first and second down.  If he can give you push up the middle on any down, it makes everyone else's jobs easier.   Give me any guy opponents have to game plan around and I'm a happy camper.

If he's a pure NT (which I believe he is), it's still not worth such a high pick, especially when there's also some elite talent at LB, S, and CB that should be available there.

I'd take the following players before Vea:
Bradley Chubb
Quenton Nelson
Minkah Fitzpatrick
Roquan Smith
Tremaine Edmunds
Derwin James
Mike McGlinchey (based on need)

If the Bengals, however, think Vea can be a good pass rusher in a 4-3 from the NT position and therefore keep him on the field in passing downs, I can understand the team's desire to draft him. We'll just have to wait and see what they do to get an idea of where their heads are at.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-05-2018, 09:51 PM)McC Wrote: It kinda depends.  12 is a high price to pay for a NT in today's game, but if he's the best NT in the game, maybe that's different.  I don't know if he would be the best or not.  I have heard multiple people say things like best in the game. 

We were like the worst run stopping team in the league last year. I would say if we went from the worst to the best that
is worth more than about any player we could get at 12.

(03-06-2018, 02:16 AM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Except he's not just a nose tackle.  He's a guy that can be a 3 down player in the nickel base that we run.

Liking this pick more and more.

(03-06-2018, 02:42 AM)Jpoore Wrote: From everything I read from austin biggest thing is stopping the run. Vea would be perfect for that. He wouldn't be ideal as a 3-tech but he could be a slightly lesser Gerald McCoy. And nt, unstoppable one on. One.
Best games to watch if u do watch film? Ucla (pro style offense) stanford(power run scheme) and Oregon(spread offense). As mentioned above he  wouldn't be ideal at 3-tech, but he would be a slightly lesser version of Gerald McCoy as alass rusher. As a nt hed be perfect next to Geno bc be can't be doubled.  He played all over the line at Washington's 3-4 system. Dt, both de spot, he even played the joker. And I hope he runs his pro day bc he's a sub 5 second player. But yes he is that good and my second favorite player in the draft tied with big will. When u see vea being triple teamed by the entire left side of the oline against ucla, and still chasing down the qb and being disruptive, you'll understand.

Gonna watch some film now, this is like i said, hefty praise.

(03-06-2018, 10:18 AM)ochocincos Wrote: If he's a pure NT (which I believe he is), it's still not worth such a high pick, especially when there's also some elite talent at LB, S, and CB that should be available there.

I'd take the following players before Vea:
Bradley Chubb
Quenton Nelson
Minkah Fitzpatrick
Roquan Smith
Tremaine Edmunds
Derwin James
Mike McGlinchey (based on need)

If the Bengals, however, think Vea can be a good pass rusher in a 4-3 from the NT position and therefore keep him on the field in passing downs, I can understand the team's desire to draft him. We'll just have to wait and see what they do to get an idea of where their heads are at.

I would take Chubb and Nelson over Vea but other than that it would be hard for me. I like all the guys you listed at 12
but like i said if we can go from one of the worst run stopping teams to one of the best with one pick i think that is a great
pick.
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2018, 07:12 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Vea is that good huh?

I actually like Vea a lot. More than others, but not as much as that.

With that said, I am a personal big fan of Billings, but Vea is extremely tempting at #12. Don't forget, our interior defensive line is getting up there in age outside of Billings.

Reply/Quote
Just because he weights 340 does not mean he's a "pure nose tackle"

Hell, the guy covered punts. How many nose tackles do that?
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2018, 06:57 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: I actually like Vea a lot. More than others, but not as much as that.

With that said, I am a personal big fan of Billings, but Vea is extremely tempting at #12. Don't forget, our interior defensive line is getting up there in age outside of Billings.

Yeah, if we don't sign Chris Baker i really want Vea or Trumaine Edmunds at 12. After watching film of Vea he reminds me of a
more explosive Haloti Ngata, what Bengal fan would not want that here? Edmunds reminds me of a bigger Shazier that takes
better angles, i think this guy will be a star in the NFL and would be great insurance in case Burfict is out of the league or gets
suspended, or gets more concussions.

(03-07-2018, 02:10 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Just because he weights 340 does not mean he's a "pure nose tackle"

Hell, the guy covered punts.  How many nose tackles do that?

Crazy. Also heard he grew up playing Rugby.
Reply/Quote
We need athleticism on defense not another big body. Everything I have heard about him is he is a nose we don't need that. What we need is a 3t that can fill Genos role when he is on the bench.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote