Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
It's time to make the move official
After further review of the Chargers game.

Boling has been our best LT to end the last two seasons. Why not just cut Glenn, use the money to re-sign Boling and keep him at LT to solidify the position for the next couple years.

End his run at LG (follow the Big Whit path) as we have Westerman who has shown capable, and focus our efforts on upgrading the RT spot and our line will be set.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
Or play one at LT and the other at RT and see how it goes for the final 3 games?
Reply/Quote
(12-14-2018, 11:37 AM)jj22 Wrote: After further review of the Chargers game.

Boling has been our best LT to end the last two seasons. Why not just cut Glenn, use the money to re-sign Boling and keep him at LT to solidify the position for the next couple years.

End his run at LG (follow the Big Whit path) as we have Westerman who has shown capable, and focus our efforts on upgrading the RT spot and our line will be set.

Glenn only counts $9.25 mill against the cap the next two years but no dead cap if cut. That’s not a large cap hit for OL nowadays if Glenn could be repurposed elsewhere on the line.

I’d be inclined to keep Glenn and move him to another spot...perhaps RG. Have Boling at LT, Westerman LG. Re-sign Smith to be RT and then draft a pick to groom.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Glenn for his contract could be an option for RT.

Reply/Quote
Yea, cutting him would be a dumb move. He has value with his contract just a matter of where.
Reply/Quote
(12-14-2018, 11:53 AM)Au165 Wrote: Yea, cutting him would be a dumb move. He has value with his contract just a matter of where.

I was just trying to cut him to save money for a Boling extension which I don't think will happen if we don't free up some funds (or he doesn't make a move to LT).

I don't hear talks of Boling being re-signed much.

Reply/Quote
(12-14-2018, 12:00 PM)jj22 Wrote: I was just trying to cut him to save money for a Boling extension which I don't think will happen if we don't free up some funds (or he doesn't make a move to LT).

I don't hear talks of Boling being re-signed much.

The NFL salary cap is expected to raise $13 mill from 2018 ($177 mill) to 2019 ($190 mill). There should be plenty of money to extend Boling to a good contract without having to cut Glenn.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(12-14-2018, 12:07 PM)ochocincos Wrote: The NFL salary cap is expected to raise $13 mill from 2018 ($177 mill) to 2019 ($190 mill). There should be plenty of money to extend Boling to a good contract without having to cut Glenn.

Should be. But MB will find an excuse to hoard funds (will need rollover funds for AJ/Boyd/WJIII extensions).

Without additional funds, I'm not sure where Boling fits in the pecking order of needs to re-sign. Will they give a guard a 3rd contract?

Reply/Quote
Let Boling go he is way over rated and getting old we have Westerman to take over at left guard. Let Glenn get healthy and he will be good for us next year at LT which leaves RT and RG to get fixed. Do that through the draft and FA if you try to give Boling a new contract he will want big money like his buddy Whit asked for. Boling is a PA guy don't forget that we need to move on from those soft players.
Reply/Quote
I disagree with this thread entirely Boiling is better at LG then LT. Move Westerman to RG ,keep Boiling at LG, and keep Glenn at LT.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
But Glenn sucked at LT. Only a slight upgrade for Ced. If we keep Boling at LG, then we definitely need to find a new LT.

I don't think hitching our hopes on Glenn at LT is the answer going into 2019. At least I hope it's not.

Reply/Quote
Glenn was a well respected LT before he came to our team everyone was very happy to get him comparing him to Ced is not even worth a comment. Glenn just needs to get healthy that was his only concern coming onto our team not saying we can not get a decent back up behind him and let Ced go. I think Pollock was handcuffed with Ced since he was still on his rookie deal and our owners didn't want him to have a bust tag which he has already. Pollock needs more of his type of guys on the team hard nosed players guys he hand picks. He is doing the best he can with PA picks and a few of them might stick like Westerman but the more guys he hand picks the better off our Oline will be.
Reply/Quote
(12-14-2018, 11:42 AM)ochocincos Wrote:
Glenn only counts $9.25 mill against the cap the next two years but no dead cap if cut.
That’s not a large cap hit for OL nowadays if Glenn could be repurposed elsewhere on the line.

I’d be inclined to keep Glenn and move him to another spot...perhaps RG. Have Boling at LT, Westerman LG. Re-sign Smith to be RT and then draft a pick to groom.

Glenn has shown to not be worth his contract value.  I seriously doubt that many other teams would be willing to pay him that money, for what he's demonstrated on the field this season.  If I were the GM of the Bengals, I would cut Glenn, and make him a more realistic offer in the 3-4M/per range, with incentives written in to bump it up, should he achieve certain levels.

Says here, https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/cap-hit/left-tackle/ , that Glenn is the 6th highest contract for LT in the entire NFL.  Personally, I don't think he's top 20 material, let alone 6th best paid.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-14-2018, 01:09 PM)BengalsBong Wrote: Glenn was a well respected LT before he came to our team everyone was very happy to get him comparing him to Ced is not even worth a comment. Glenn just needs to get healthy that was his only concern coming onto our team not saying we can not get a decent back up behind him and let Ced go. I think Pollock was handcuffed with Ced  since he was still on his rookie deal and our owners didn't want him to have a bust tag which he has already. Pollock needs more of his type of guys on the team hard nosed players guys he hand picks. He is doing the best he can with PA picks and a few of them might stick like Westerman but the more guys he hand picks the better off our Oline will be.

Glenn was a well-respected LT BEFORE he's been injured each of the last 3 seasons.

Seems like a guy who may never be healthy again.
Reply/Quote
(12-14-2018, 01:56 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Glenn has shown to not be worth his contract value.  I seriously doubt that many other teams would be willing to pay him that money, for what he's demonstrated on the field this season.  If I were the GM of the Bengals, I would cut Glenn, and make him a more realistic offer in the 3-4M/per range, with incentives written in to bump it up, should he achieve certain levels.

Says here, https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/cap-hit/left-tackle/ , that Glenn is the 6th highest contract for LT in the entire NFL.  Personally, I don't think he's top 20 material, let alone 6th best paid.

It's funny...people talk about how reasonable he's paid.

He's paid the 6th highest and he grades out as the #61 Tackle.
Reply/Quote
(12-14-2018, 02:23 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: It's funny...people talk about how reasonable he's paid.

He's paid the 6th highest and he grades out as the #61 Tackle.

What's even funnier, is when people think that he can just slide over to RT and he'll be just fine.  That couldn't be farther from the truth.  LT is typically a long limbed guy with great balance and quick feet, the ability to stay in front of his man and guide him away from the passer.  The ultimate "dancing bear", if you would.   At RT, you want pure brute force, a human bulldozer that can get downfield leaving a pile of bodies in his wake.

Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't the biggest knock on Cordy Glenn traditionally been that he's not a strong run blocker?  And now, with his tremendously diminished ability to pass protect, he's darn near useless as a Tackle in the NFL, at least at the pay rate that he's currently receiving. 

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-14-2018, 02:21 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Glenn was a well-respected LT BEFORE he's been injured each of the last 3 seasons.

Seems like a guy who may never be healthy again.
Seems like a guy that was never given the chance to get healthy since he was injured when we traded for him and we played him because even an injured Glenn is better then Ced at 100 %. Give the guy time to get healthy then lets evaluate him.
Reply/Quote
So are we thinking Boling hasn't been a good LT? Or what's the cons of keeping him there and giving him an offseason to fully immerse himself into he position?

I'm thinking why waste time hoping Glenn works out or gambling on another draft pick if Boling has proven the last two seasons the offense runs better with him there?

I'm feeling like maybe the cure to the LT woes is right under our nose.

Reply/Quote
(12-14-2018, 02:58 PM)jj22 Wrote: So are we thinking Boling hasn't been a good LT? Or what's the cons of keeping him there and giving him an offseason to fully immerse himself into he position?

I'm thinking why waste time hoping Glenn works out or gambling on another draft pick if Boling has proven the last two seasons the offense runs better with him there?

I'm feeling like maybe the cure to the LT woes is right under our nose.

I don't know what the reasoning for not allowing Clint to continue to play LT, after he performed so well there, at the end of last season.  I know that he did play some LT at UGA.  The only reasoning that I can come up with is that they wanted to keep him in his established position, because they were already changing personnel at the other 4 spots.  While I can understand that logic, at the same time I'm thinking, if you're going to change 4 slots, then you might as well shuffle the entire deck.

Now, with the secret out that Westerman can hold his own at LG, Price finally settling in at Center, Boling is now looking like a viable option to take over the LT spot on the regular.  I don't know how much time Boling has left on his clock, as he's been getting dinged up the past couple years, they still might want to draft the LT of the future this year.  I like that lineup on the left, now to just get a good RG and RT.  I would strongly consider cutting Glenn's salary, and reinvesting that into the best free agent RT or RG that hits the market.  They're not going to get everything they need from the draft alone..

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
All I know is Glenn, Hart, and Redmond have played below average this season. Add in the fact that Hart and Redmond are penalty machines and all three need to go !

If Boling can play LT short term so be it. But I'm just not sure he's the long term answer there ?

Between the draft and free agency (dreaming I know) we need 3 starting quality Olinemen.
Reply/Quote