Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
It's time we moved on from Dunlap.
So every season I make an installment of this...fantastic series giving logical arguments and sound predictions concerning which players we need to move on from. My infamous Jeremy Hill thread before the 2016 season comes to mind.

This year it's Dunlap and here's why...

Geno has dominated more consistently than Dunlap. The dirty secret is that we're probably only going to keep one. That's for Geno.

Jordan Willis and Carl Lawson and possibly one D end this draft will step up.

Most importantly, Dunlap is most likely to pull a Carson. If you look through social media post 2015, he's made a lot of passive aggressive jabs at the bengals. He probably doesn't want to come back anyway unless we overpay him.
Reply/Quote
Well, we're going to move on from every single player at some point. It works like this : Out with the old, in with the young . It's always been like that. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Agree. Sign Geno. Put Carlos on the franchise tag and watch him walk after that
Reply/Quote
Not sure an end is gunna fall to us this year. I'm kinda hoping we can find one in the 3rd round this year, we'll see. If we don't find one this year, we definitely should draft an end in 2019.

I wanna see Geno wrapped up for 4 years. Dunlap not more than 2 or 3. If we find another young end that could give us 8 sacks a year or more (and stop the run), then maybe we should move on sooner.
Reply/Quote
(04-03-2018, 02:32 AM)Bengalstripes18 Wrote: Not sure an end is gunna fall to us this year. I'm kinda hoping we can find one in the 3rd round this year, we'll see. If we don't find one this year, we definitely should draft an end in 2019.

I wanna see Geno wrapped up for 4 years. Dunlap not more than 2 or 3. If we find another young end that could give us 8 sacks a year or more (and stop the run), then maybe we should move on sooner.

I'd be happy with Tevan Bryan in the first round.
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
Defensive Ends like Dunlap aren't easily acquired. He's a top shelf 4-3 end who's been stellar on and off the field. You don't let players like that walk....
Reply/Quote
(04-03-2018, 08:12 AM)CornerBlitz Wrote: Defensive Ends like Dunlap aren't easily acquired. He's a top shelf 4-3 end who's been stellar on and off the field. You don't let players like that walk....

If it’s a choice between him and Geno you do.

Reply/Quote
We can keep both

It's time we move on from M. Johnson, it's past time !
Reply/Quote
Good defensive ends are hard to come by. Carlos hasn't missed a game in 5 years with 44.5 sacks.
Reply/Quote
Dude is 29 not sure why people want to move on. He was the 23rd rated edge defender last season by PFF get pass rusher (not great) plays the run well and gets into passing lanes when he doesn't get to the QB. He isn't going to break they bank and the draft this year is simply bad at DE. Willis will be the heir to Michael Johnson, but Lawson will never be a base formation DE so we have no heir and frankly I wouldn't trust Willis and rookie next season to man the ship.
Reply/Quote
(04-03-2018, 01:17 AM)THE Bigzoman Wrote: My infamous Jeremy Hill thread before the 2016 season comes to mind.

Like when you scored 3 tds in the high school county championship game?
Reply/Quote
(04-03-2018, 08:58 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Like when you scored 3 tds in the high school county championship game?

I was a nose tackle in a 3-4 defense. I plugged up holes.

Come at me bro.
Reply/Quote
(04-03-2018, 01:17 AM)THE Bigzoman Wrote: So every season I make an installment of this...fantastic series giving logical arguments and sound predictions concerning which players we need to move on from. My infamous Jeremy Hill thread before the 2016 season comes to mind.

This year it's Dunlap and here's why...

Geno has dominated more consistently than Dunlap. The dirty secret is that we're probably only going to keep one. That's for Geno.

Jordan Willis and Carl Lawson and possibly one D end this draft will step up.

Most importantly, Dunlap is most likely to pull a Carson. If you look through social media post 2015, he's made a lot of passive aggressive jabs at the bengals. He probably doesn't want to come back anyway unless we overpay him.

lol

NOT logical, NOT beneficial and just downright stupid.

The money is there to extend, he wants to stay, great on and off the field, he and Geno compliment each other and who knows how many sacks/disruptions the two WOULDN'T have, if not for each other.

The Hill sitch was a bit different (again, thought he would carry the bulk of the load last year, was proven wrong), this isn't even close to the same situation.

Willis was drafted to be a starting DE, to supplant MJ. Lawson will be your edge guy in passing situations.

Both aren't as good and both will NEVER be as good as Dunlap was or even will continue to be.

This is just stirring the pot; I can see this being a thread about Kroft, Dennard, Boling (though he has another year) but to make it about Dunlap is just nuts.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-03-2018, 09:20 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: lol

NOT logical, NOT beneficial and just downright stupid.

The money is there to extend, he wants to stay, great on and off the field, he and Geno compliment each other and who knows how many sacks/disruptions the two WOULDN'T have, if not for each other.

The Hill sitch was a bit different (again, thought he would carry the bulk of the load last year, was proven wrong), this isn't even close to the same situation.

Willis was drafted to be a starting DE, to supplant MJ. Lawson will be your edge guy in passing situations.

Both aren't as good and both will NEVER be as good as Dunlap was or even will continue to be.

This is just stirring the pot; I can see this being a thread about Kroft, Dennard, Boling (though he has another year) but to make it about Dunlap is just nuts.

The only difference is that Hill turned out to be ass, just like I said he would. Remember when you thought otherwise and the thread triggered you? Pepperidge Farm remembers,
Reply/Quote
(04-03-2018, 08:32 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: If it’s a choice between him and Geno you do.

Doesn't have to be a choice.  Sign both.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(04-03-2018, 09:25 AM)McC Wrote: Doesn't have to be a choice.  Sign both.

But again, it's not going to happen. You can already see some of the writing on the wall, with the enquirer calling it a "steep hill" to climb. With other players needing extensions next year, the bengals are going to slowly feed us the idea that this is Dunlap's last year. 

The writing is on the wall.
Reply/Quote
(04-03-2018, 09:27 AM)THE Bigzoman Wrote: But again, it's not going to happen. You can already see some of the writing on the wall, with the enquirer calling it a "steep hill" to climb. With other players needing extensions next year, the bengals are going to slowly feed us the idea that this is Dunlap's last year. 

The writing is on the wall.

I guess we'll see.  
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(04-03-2018, 09:29 AM)McC Wrote: I guess we'll see.  

Call me cynical, but I don't have much faith in this front office. I can see the "The win-now mindset last offseason made it impossible!" from Hobspin now.
Reply/Quote
(04-03-2018, 09:24 AM)THE Bigzoman Wrote: The only difference is that Hill turned out to be ass, just like I said he would. Remember when you thought otherwise and the thread triggered you? Pepperidge Farm remembers,

I do not totally agree on the Dunlap thing and for those saying we can keep both; it's not our M.O.

Hall or Joseph
Chad or TJ
Whit or Z (Browns sucker punched us)

I will say that choices early in this year's draft will be quite telling.

I do totally disagree with the Hill thing. He did not turn out to be an ass. He remained a hard worker, played through injury, and really took the post-season fumble personally. He did not fumble once that year and I believe he was tops in the league in TDs. Even at the start of last year he was not an ass, Some can argue that he took care of #1 when the writing was on the wall, but I don't remember anything adverse. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
Getting rid of Dunlap would be really not smart. Plus, they have already said they are working on deals to extend both him and Geno. Geno will be hugely expensive, Dunlap not so much. He already got his big deal.....
Reply/Quote