Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
It's time we moved on from Hill
(08-25-2016, 11:40 AM)ochocincos Wrote: And was Alstot really THAT great in the NFL? He never exceeded 1000 rushing yards in a season and has less than a career 4.0 YPC.
He was good, but not great.

Yes, Alstott was that good!!! As Warren Sapp said, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers offense at the time consisted of Mike Alstott and the kickers. Alstott up the Gut...That was all they had. He constantly ran against a stacked box that was constantly playing the run. If they had had even a fair receiving corps to take some of the heat off him his numbers would be vastly greater. 6 trips to the Pro Bowl and named #10 NFL Networks "All Time Power Backs"
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2016, 11:40 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Other than Alstot, none of these players have played in over 25 years.
The game has changed pretty drastically since most of the above players were in the league. We could not claim any of those players would be great in today's NFL.

And was Alstot really THAT great in the NFL? He never exceeded 1000 rushing yards in a season and has less than a career 4.0 YPC.

Alstott was unique. Listed as a FB, he was more of a bruiser RB with soft hands in the passing game. He was always used in a "thunder and lightning" style platoon with Warrick Dunn or whoever else the Bucs had back in those days.

Alstott was great at his role and loved by Bucs fans, but I don't think you can claim he was a great RB overall. 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
I bet the Bucs are sure glad they didn't trade Doug Martin after his sophomore slump and swap him out for some random 3rd string chump.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Rex Burkhead is not a starting caliber RB in the NFL. Stop. If you're going to replace Hill, do better than that.
Reply/Quote
Man, I just assumed this thread was from like January... it was created yesterday????? Geez, IDK what happened between yesterday and today... maybe Hill dissed Bigzoman at a club or something.

Stay Turnt!
Reply/Quote
(08-24-2016, 11:05 PM)THE Bigzoman Wrote: I think i've seen enough of this guy to not trust him.

We'd roll with Burkhead and Bernard in two RB shotgun sets and be just as potent as before.

There's been a stench on Hill since that playoff fumble. If you don't know to not fight for the first down in that situation, when will you?

Not to mention the streaks of unprofessionalism we've seen from Hill (looking at you Arizona).

Then again, it could be possible that he's taken the more stoic approach that the Bengals prefers to heart. But even then, I don't think our O-Line compliments what he can bring as a RB to this team. Burkhead is better suited for that.

I want to give you rep just for creating one of the dumber threads ive seen in a while.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
[Image: 65453914.jpg]
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2016, 09:36 AM)bengalguy71 Wrote: Larry Csonka, John Riggins, Paul Hourning, Jim Taylor, Mike Alstot, Rocky Bleier

There you go. You went ahead and named 6 white runningbacks, maybe 3 HOFers. I can name 50 HOF Rbs that are not white.

Hill 2014: 1,124 yards - 5.1 YPC

White running backs to do such a feat since 1970: 0

Peyton Hillis in 2010, did rush for more yards than Hill in 2012 (by about 50 more yards), but averaged somewhere around 4.4 YPC. That is the only white runningback to rush for more yards in a season than Hill did in 2014, since 1970.

Its dead guys. Rex Burkhead will never be great. 3rd stringer at best. Ask anybody who Rex Burkhead is, outside of Cincinnati and they will say "who?"
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2016, 03:33 PM)Gohards Wrote: There you go. You went ahead and named 6 white runningbacks, maybe 3 HOFers. I can name 50 HOF Rbs that are not white.

Hill 2014: 1,124 yards - 5.1 YPC

White running backs to do such a feat since 1970: 0

Peyton Hillis in 2010, did rush for more yards than Hill in 2012 (by about 50 more yards), but averaged somewhere around 4.4 YPC. That is the only white runningback to rush for more yards in a season than Hill did in 2014, since 1970.

Its dead guys. Rex Burkhead will never be great. 3rd stringer at best. Ask anybody who Rex Burkhead is, outside of Cincinnati and they will say "who?"

dare you. 

Reply/Quote
(08-25-2016, 03:42 PM)The Real Deal Wrote: dare you. 

I may of exaggerated a little on 50, but i could name 30, easy.
Reply/Quote
In the modern era, there are only 30 RB's in the hall-of-fame. Only 47 total. I would bet that you can't easily name 30...
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2016, 05:16 PM)ItsOdellThurman Wrote: In the modern era, there are only 30 RB's in the hall-of-fame.  Only 47 total.  I would bet that you can't easily name 30...

You can do anything with the interwebs!

Reply/Quote
(08-25-2016, 05:16 PM)ItsOdellThurman Wrote: In the modern era, there are only 30 RB's in the hall-of-fame.  Only 47 total.  I would bet that you can't easily name 30...

True, but how many white HOF RBs are there? There's a huge disparity and I think that's his point.  
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2016, 12:26 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Will agree that Alstot and Bleier were not great but were very solid players and a blast to watch. 

and who knows maybe it was the Hogs that made Riggins great. Really liked all listed though. 

But lay the hell off  my Louisville Flaget HS legend Paul Hornung who played RB, QB, and Kicker.  

Learned to love "chili cheeseburgers" and grilled "cheeses with bacon" at his wifes bar in the late 70's. This alone exudes the fragrance of greatness.

Just don't even go there ! ........lol

Riggins was pretty good with the NYJ too..... Wink

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(08-25-2016, 11:40 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Other than Alstot, none of these players have played in over 25 years.
The game has changed pretty drastically since most of the above players were in the league. We could not claim any of those players would be great in today's NFL.

And was Alstot really THAT great in the NFL? He never exceeded 1000 rushing yards in a season and has less than a career 4.0 YPC.

I get your sentiment, and mostly agree, but Riggo proabably would be a threat today. Not only was he a bruiser, he was deceptively fast. He was three sport star out of high school, All America in football, All State in basketball, and won 2 state titles in the 100 yd dash.

He was an All American, and a two time All Big Eight Conference 1st team selection at KANSAS.  The Jayhawks won the conference title in '68, and lost the Orange Bowl to Penn State 15-14......KANSAS.  Let that sink in a minute.....

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
Hill has the goat mantle for fumbling away a playoff win, and really until he gets back into a playoff game and shines (with no mistakes) he won't be losing the goat mantle.
Reply/Quote

Youre totally missing my point. Not to mention people like AP, LT, etc. that aren't currently in, but will be.
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2016, 12:13 PM)Atomic Orange Wrote: This thread is going to be a fun read after we win the SB.

I'm going to remember this thread throughout the season, possibly even bump it.

Either that or just make a "I told you so" thread when the time comes. It's going to be hard to do when the moment is just right because we''ll all be butthurt from Hill ruining (or contributing to the ruining) of something that looked grand.

Just remember that you heard it from Bigzo first: the crazy old bum in the street talking about how the NWO is going to take us out while everyone else mocked him.

Hell, i'll even make a thread just to let everyone know that I was wrong (in the unlikely event that it comes to that)
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2016, 01:25 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Man, I just assumed this thread was from like January... it was created yesterday????? Geez, IDK what happened between yesterday and today... maybe Hill dissed Bigzoman at a club or something.

Stay Turnt!

He stole my girl in the heart of the natti.
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2016, 10:20 AM)CageTheBengal Wrote: Agreed!

I say we trade him for a towel boy, fresh jock straps and a pack of bubble gum.

Good joke thread! LOL

*woosh**
Reply/Quote