Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
It starts in 2015...
(06-06-2015, 07:10 PM)BonnieBengal Wrote: If we don't move past that board and concentrate on this board, then this board will not succeed.

I completely disagree.  I think the success of this board is dependent on it's ability where the other one left off.  I think for this board to continue it needs to resemble the forums over there as closely as it can.  Don't get me wrong, improvements can be made.  But it still needs many of the same personalities to see a comparable amount of traffic.

The other board, as far as message boards are concerned, was a rousing success.  You need look no further than it coming to crashing halt on gamedays, as there was so much traffic.  I think what made it a success was the people, and more specifically the relationships, feuds, ongoing subjects/debates/jokes, the rep system, etc.

So I think this board needs to carry on much of that.  Whether I ever wanted to admit it or not, part of the reason I went to JN so often was to argue with guys like Fred Toast or Bfine.  The debate was enjoyable.  Those types of things need to continue here or I think you'll see less activity out of some members.  Much of that history needs to carry over.

Lastly, as far a new members not wanting to read it or not knowing what it is, that problem would have, and did, occur on the other site.  It never seemed to be a problem in attracting new members.  I don't see why this one should be any different.  Even if you erase the last 10 years on the other site, people will be confused by much of what is written on here a year from now.  If someone is new there will be some things they won't get or want to read simply because they weren't a part of it.  There's nothing you can do to prevent that.
Reply/Quote
There's one thread dedicated to a poster and what happened on the mothership.

I think we're ok in regards to any new members. Plenty of good discussions going on all over the place. JN included.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(06-07-2015, 12:05 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: I just wanted to throw my 2 cents on Denny real quick, as I've had some pretty strong opinions that I've been unable to share for quite some time.

Let's all be honest here, he contributed absolutely nothing to the boards, in terms of actual football discussion.  Zilch.  Nada.  I can't recall a single time that he even wrote more than a few sentences.  (Translation: He took no time to explain himself or add any substance to his posts)  He never said much of anything when it came to actual football talk.  I never remember him commenting on this player vs that player, this team vs that team, this strategy vs that strategy, etc.

At the end of the day we're here (were there) to talk football.  Period.  Throw out the homer vs hater bs, throw out the disagreements, the rep points, the sigs, the bets... Throw it all out.  Everyone is ultimately here (was there) for the same thing.  To talk about Bengals football and the NFL.  Some contribute more than others, and that's ok.  Denny didn't contribute at all.  He added nothing to the actual discussion.  If anything, I think he took joy in inciting others, all the while taking about 10 seconds to write his regurgitated nonsense over and over.

As far as being a mod, a few things:  He went out of his way to ding certain types of posters more than others.  He was once gave me an infraction for calling someone in an article a moron.  Not another a poster.  A personal in an article.  Some idiot was giving the Bengals grief for not taking Carlos Hyde in one of those Hobson's mailbag things.  I called that guy an idiot and Denny dinged for it.  Even after I told him this person wasn't a poster, he warned me and said he'd let it slide just this once.  Meanwhile, I was called much worse almost daily and he was nowhere to be found.  (tl;dr: Denny singed out negative posters)

Lastly, I thought he represented the team horribly.  Even if he's not a paid employee he did represent the team.  When people voice their concerns and you reply "See ya" "Or good riddance" or whatever, that's not a good look.  You won't see the social media person for Fritos tell someone they don't want their business if they comment they don't like their new BBQ flavor or whatever.  Denny did that constantly.  It came across and childish to me.  When someone takes the time to try to explain why their upset about whatever, and you reply the way he often did, it reminded me of a child's "na na na boo boo" response.  The least he could do was explain himself in return.  He never, I mean absolutely never, did.

Just my opinion but I thought he made them look bad.  I think he seemed petty, antagonistic, I think he trolled people, and frankly, I think he was dumb as shit.

Yeah, i got along with him cause i was more on the homer side but i get everything you say here Wes.

He never could talk football, just couldn't.
Reply/Quote
(06-07-2015, 11:54 AM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: I'm with Bonnie.

If you want the board to grow and keep growing beyond the initial surge with the close of the other board, you can't keep re-hashing the old board or else it becomes an "old boys club" where new posters won't feel welcome. 

I would agree with you guys, but I'm sure the Denny/closing of the other board topic will die off in due time. For now, it's a fresh topic that people want to discuss. Any new members have countless other threads to dive into, so I doubt a couple threads discussing the old boards is going to scare anyone off. 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(06-06-2015, 10:30 PM)Utts Wrote: So good news folks. This forum offers an Ignore List under: User CP -> Buddy / Ignore List. ............... ThumbsUp

Whoever gave OSUfan the link to this board should be first against the wall.

Thank you once again for an unsolicited personal attack. By the way the creator of these boards gave me the link so maybe you should take it up with him if you so strongly disapprove. Have a nice day............. ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(06-04-2015, 09:27 PM)djs7685 Wrote: ...at least, according to Denny. This guy makes the same prediction every single damn year, then claims that others need to "get over themselves" if they don't have a sunshine and rainbows outlook of the team.

https://www.reddit.com/r/bengals/comments/38lhid/it_starts_in_2015_bengal_fans/?sort=confidence

His first Reddit post and he's already bashing people loldenny

Well, it's about time. Ninja

Reply/Quote
(06-07-2015, 05:42 PM)OSUfan Wrote: Thank you once again for an unsolicited personal attack. By the way the creator of these boards gave me the link so maybe you should take it up with him if you so strongly disapprove. Have a nice day............. ThumbsUp

Yeah I thought that attack was ridiculous.
Reply/Quote
(06-07-2015, 12:58 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: I completely disagree.  I think the success of this board is dependent on it's ability where the other one left off.  I think for this board to continue it needs to resemble the forums over there as closely as it can.  Don't get me wrong, improvements can be made.  But it still needs many of the same personalities to see a comparable amount of traffic.

The other board, as far as message boards are concerned, was a rousing success.  You need look no further than it coming to crashing halt on gamedays, as there was so much traffic.  I think what made it a success was the people, and more specifically the relationships, feuds, ongoing subjects/debates/jokes, the rep system, etc.

So I think this board needs to carry on much of that.  Whether I ever wanted to admit it or not, part of the reason I went to JN so often was to argue with guys like Fred Toast or Bfine.  The debate was enjoyable.  Those types of things need to continue here or I think you'll see less activity out of some members.  Much of that history needs to carry over.

Lastly, as far a new members not wanting to read it or not knowing what it is, that problem would have, and did, occur on the other site.  It never seemed to be a problem in attracting new members.  I don't see why this one should be any different.  Even if you erase the last 10 years on the other site, people will be confused by much of what is written on here a year from now.  If someone is new there will be some things they won't get or want to read simply because they weren't a part of it.  There's nothing you can do to prevent that.
New members came in and registered but most of them didn't stay around because of the rudeness of the regulars.  Sure, people would pop in on game day, but there were only about 100 active people on the board.  And that is because of the cliques  and the rudeness when they did try to post something.   Do you really want to do that to Bengalholic?  This is not a site run by the Bengals organization anymore.  This is run by one of us who did this out of the goodness of his heart and needs us to welcome and encourage new members.  Please think about that.
Reply/Quote
I think a big step would be getting people to work together and try to get legitimate FOOTBALL content. Not slanderfests and bitchapaloozas.

I tried on the last board but 90% of the time it got buried or turned into something it was never meant to be.

I know Eox can post some really good football stuff when he has the time.
Reply/Quote
(06-07-2015, 07:12 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: I think a big step would be getting people to work together and try to get legitimate FOOTBALL content. Not slanderfests and bitchapaloozas.

I tried on the last board but 90% of the time it got buried or turned into something it was never meant to be.

I know Eox can post some really good football stuff when he has the time.

Agree! You should post it on this board.
Reply/Quote
(06-07-2015, 07:30 PM)BonnieBengal Wrote: Agree! You should post it on this board.

I really don't feel like trying to dig it all up. 
Reply/Quote
6/7 86 users online, on a Sunday night. I think this board is kicking ass. Kudos 'Holic.
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-07-2015, 11:32 PM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: 6/7   86 users online, on a Sunday night.  I think this board is kicking ass.  Kudos 'Holic.

Yes it is ! In my mind this board is much better than the mother ship. I always felt like big daddy was looking over my shoulder on there.

Some more of the old bunch would be great though ? Where's fan in kettering ? berserker 88 ? and others.
Reply/Quote
(06-07-2015, 11:38 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Yes it is ! In my mind this board is much better than the mother ship. I always felt like big daddy was looking over my shoulder on there.

Some more of the old bunch would be great though ? Where's fan in kettering ? berserker 88 ? and others.

Yes, we're missing some good posters.  Also Jabberwocky, Bengal Yankee, and some more I can't think of because I've had a few drinks.
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-07-2015, 11:38 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Yes it is ! In my mind this board is much better than the mother ship. I always felt like big daddy was looking over my shoulder on there.

I look over your shoulder sometimes...but only because I'm trying to steal your beer when you nod off.  LOL
Reply/Quote
(06-07-2015, 11:43 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: I look over your shoulder sometimes...but only because I'm trying to steal your beer when you nod off.  LOL

Stealing beer just ain't cool.
Reply/Quote
(06-07-2015, 11:54 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Stealing beer just ain't cool.

I agree...unless I'm out!  Ninja
Reply/Quote
(06-07-2015, 11:56 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: I agree...unless I'm out!  Ninja

I pictured you more as a scotch drinker, and maybe some milk on warm day.  "Mmm, mmm scotch, down my throat.   Scotch, scotch, scotch..."
Reply/Quote
(06-07-2015, 05:42 PM)OSUfan Wrote: Thank you once again for an unsolicited personal attack. By the way the creator of these boards gave me the link so maybe you should take it up with him if you so strongly disapprove. Have a nice day............. ThumbsUp

Couple of pages ago you were calling others middle school teenage girls.  Remember?  Utts called you "OSUfan."  If you are going to complain about the insults you probably shouldn't actively participate in the insults simultaneously because when you do you lose all credibility.  I would suggest you set the example rather than indulge in hypocrisy.
Reply/Quote
(06-08-2015, 01:00 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Couple of pages ago you were calling others middle school teenage girls.  Remember?  Utts called you "OSUfan."  If you are going to complain about the insults you probably shouldn't actively participate in the insults simultaneously because when you do you lose all credibility.  I would suggest you set the example rather than indulge in hypocrisy.

Reading comprehension.........my post stated that coming in and gossiping about an individual is "acting" like middle school teenage girls. Now you have a nice day as well wingnut.
Reply/Quote