Billy Price was a 1st Rd draft pick from a elite football
program.
John Ross was a top 10 pick with outstanding
College numbers.
Trey Hopkins undrafted from Texas
Damion Willis undrafted from Troy.
2 are starting
2 aren't.
It's apparent ZT doesnt care who is starting.
He just wants the best 33 on the field.
I wonder how Tobin feels that 2 of his 1st Rd picks
In the Marvin era won't be starting come week 1.
Nobody saw Hopkins or Willis starting a few weeks ago.
You never know.
Jake Dolagada might be the starter next year.
Reply/Quote
ZT doesn't care what round folks were drafted before he got here.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I did not hear a thing about Ross starting or not starting I guess they are still making this choice. I will say when AJ gets back AJ Boyd and D-Will is going to be tough to cover.
Reply/Quote
This also speaks to how bad the Bengals have drafted recently.

Willis may turn into a decent Pro. Hopkins is what he is and that isn't great. Price must either still be hurt or just struggling like last year.

Ross? Looked terrible in minicamp by reports then missed all of training camp. He wasn't going to start.
Reply/Quote
The best available players start on the other 31 teams in the NFL. It’s about time the Cincinnati Bengals got with the program.
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2019, 08:16 PM)impactplaya Wrote: Billy Price was a 1st Rd draft pick from a elite football
program.
John Ross was a top 10 pick with outstanding
College numbers.
Trey Hopkins undrafted from Texas
Damion Willis undrafted from Troy.
2 are starting
2 aren't.
It's apparent ZT doesnt care who is starting.
He just wants the best 33 on the field.
I wonder how Tobin feels that 2 of his 1st Rd picks
In the Marvin era won't be starting come week 1.

Nobody saw Hopkins or Willis starting a few weeks ago.
You never know.
Jake Dolagada might be the starter next year.

Seeing as Marvin benched Cedric and Fisher last year I would think he should be used to seeing his high draft picks ride the pine by now. As for Ross, didn't we hold it against Marvin that he kept Ross on the bench so much? Now benching Ross (assuming ZT even does that) is a sign of a good coach? I can't keep this stuff straight.
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2019, 10:47 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Seeing as Marvin benched Cedric and Fisher last year I would think he should be used to seeing his high draft picks ride the pine by now.  As for Ross, didn't we hold it against Marvin that he kept Ross on the bench so much?  Now benching Ross (assuming ZT even does that) is a sign of a good coach?  I can't keep this stuff straight.

Precisely.

When Marvin didn't play Ross, it was bad and all Marvin. When ZT does it, it's a great move.

Not to mention Ced (1st Round pick) and Fisher (2nd Round pick) were benched under Marvin. That didn't count I guess.

The real story in this is how bad we are at drafting guys in the 1st Round.
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2019, 11:18 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: When Marvin didn't play Ross, it was bad and all Marvin. When ZT does it, it's a great move.

When you spend a first round draft choice on a wide receiver and then throw in the towel on him after one bad play his rookie season, that was bad of Marvin.

When you're ZT and you inherit a wide receiver who has never lived up to his potential as a first rounder and has missed all of training camp and you state that he's not going to start week 1, that's a great move from Taylor in that it's pretty much a no-brainer.

Both statements you made can be and are true.
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2019, 11:26 PM)NKURyan Wrote: When you spend a first round draft choice on a wide receiver and then throw in the towel on him after one bad play his rookie season, that was bad of Marvin.

When you're ZT and you inherit a wide receiver who has never lived up to his potential as a first rounder and has missed all of training camp and you state that he's not going to start week 1, that's a great move from Taylor in that it's pretty much a no-brainer.

Both statements you made can be and are true.

In Marvin's defense, Ross also sucked in practice and was various shades of injured all year (sort of like his entire time during the ZT era thus far, actually), so it went beyond a single play.

And...wait...ZT isn't starting Ross week 1?  I missed that, if he did.  Or is this a hypothetical?  I'm not convinced ZT is allowed to keep Ross on the bench even if he wants to, but time will tell.
Reply/Quote
Marvin never giving the late round or undrafted a chance to play is a little bit revisionist history. Burfict was undrafted. Geno was a 4th rd pick. Peerman was undrafted. Erickson was a late rounder. It's what you do when you get to camp. Marvin was known for giving guys chances..... why make crap up?
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2019, 10:29 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: The best available players start on the other 31 teams in the NFL.  It’s about time the Cincinnati Bengals got with the program.

For the most part, you're right. But let's be honest here, when the Giants started Geno Smith over Eli, no matter how bad Eli had been, Smith was not the best available QB on the Giants. It might not of been Eli either, it could have been Davis Webb, but it sure as all hell wasn't Geno Smith.

Same could be said for any team that's trotted out Blaine Gabbert to start a game at QB during his entire tenure in the NFL.
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2019, 11:34 PM)Nately120 Wrote: And...wait...ZT isn't starting Ross week 1?  I missed that, if he did.  Or is this a hypothetical?  I'm not convinced ZT is allowed to keep Ross on the bench even if he wants to, but time will tell.

All ZT said was that Willis was a starter, which some people take to mean Ross won't be. For all we know the Bengals could go out with a 3 or 4 WR set on the first play of the game and Ross could be out there.
Reply/Quote
And yet we'll still play the same song and dance every season about the first rounders and pretend undrafted and lower picks, 5th, 6th and 7th round picks aren't worth the bother.
Just look at the depth chart and how many were drafted in the first round..3 maybe 4? Of those most catch more flack from fans than anyone else whether they deserve it or not. Somehow we tend to think first round players are supposed to become super stars immediately and if they don't they're automatically a bust their first season and the coaching staff and everyone involved in the draft process is somehow a bum....  Sad
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(08-25-2019, 08:19 PM)bfine32 Wrote: ZT doesn't care what round folks were drafted before he got here.

There, fixed your Signature.  Hehe

[Image: Signature%20with%20hopkins.png?t=1566741893]
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2019, 11:18 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Precisely.

When Marvin didn't play Ross, it was bad and all Marvin. When ZT does it, it's a great move.

Not to mention Ced (1st Round pick) and Fisher (2nd Round pick) were benched under Marvin. That didn't count I guess.

The real story in this is how bad we are at drafting guys in the 1st Round.
The point about awful draft decisions in last few years is dead on.

Tobin apparently is  not the genius projected by Management- or maybe we need more scouting personnel. In any case, the system is definitely not working.

But give Taylor credit for going with the best players. No way would Marv start an undrafted rookie WR regardless of performance.
Reply/Quote
The Bengals drafts overall are fine, they hit and miss like all teams and they get hot and cold like all teams. Where this team fails is their sole dependence on the draft. And yes, they need more scouts.
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
(08-26-2019, 11:13 AM)bengals67 Wrote: The point about awful draft decisions in last few years is dead on.

Tobin apparently is  not the genius projected by Management- or maybe we need more scouting personnel. In any case, the system is definitely not working.

But give Taylor credit for going with the best players. No way would Marv start an undrafted rookie WR regardless of performance.

I'm not trying to rag on Tobin, but the guy is likely the most genius of guys who will work under Mike Brown.  When you apply for a job and the boss says "You're going to do this job with me and for me and I'm going to have the title and the salary" you realize the talent pool is going to shrink.

If ZT makes a habit of casting aside the Brown/Tobin picks there is going to likely be some sort of shakeup down the line.
Reply/Quote
(08-26-2019, 11:18 AM)I_C_DeadPeople Wrote: Where this team fails is their sole dependence on the draft.

Absolutely true! When was the last time Cincinnati signed a big name free agent to fill a vacancy? Dexter Jackson? Deltha O’Neal?
Reply/Quote
Willis and Boyd will be starting if we come out in 12 personnel to open the game, if we are in 11 personnel Ross will start is my guess with Boyd in the slot. Personally I think we should go 11 personnel all game as their linebackers can cover so our mismatches with TE's and backs will be limited.
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2019, 11:37 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Marvin never giving the late round or undrafted a chance to play is a little bit revisionist history. Burfict was undrafted. Geno was a 4th rd pick. Peerman was undrafted. Erickson was a late rounder. It's what you do when you get to camp. Marvin was known for giving guys chances..... why make crap up?

Burfict only started because Howard got injured.  Peterman and Erickson were basically just ST's players.  Atkins didn't start get significant PT until late in his rookie season and he's a HoF type player.
Reply/Quote