Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
Ivana's grave
(08-14-2023, 07:02 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: I would pay. If I am living comfortably, that is all I need. In addition, paying taxes is a patriotic activity. People should take pride in paying their taxes as it is the price we pay for living in a country where we have what we have. How does the military operate? Taxes. How is our infrastructure maintained? Taxes. How do we protect our borders? Taxes.

Whenever anyone talks about how much they work to avoid paying taxes but then bemoans the limited resources of our government and their impact on the ability for them to enforce the laws or protect our citizenry it is a textbook example of irony.

I call BS, it's clear from the post below that you DO NOT want to pay anymore in taxes than you have to, especially if there is NO personal benefit, as you have made clear in the post below in the past.

(06-07-2022, 04:33 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Why should I have to pay to protect children that aren't mine? I already have to pay to support the public school system as a whole without any benefit from it, why should I have to pay more?
How do we Protect our children? Taxes
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-14-2023, 01:28 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: I call BS, it's clear from the post below that you DO NOT want to pay anymore in taxes than you have to, especially if there is NO personal benefit, as you have made clear in the post below in the past.

How do we Protect our children? Taxes

That post was sarcasm. I regularly employ it.

Now, would you care to address any of the points I made in the post rather than try to play "gotcha?"
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(08-14-2023, 02:14 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: That post was sarcasm. I regularly employ it.

Now, would you care to address any of the points I made in the post rather than try to play "gotcha?"

I'm not going to guess your intent and there's no "gotcha".

You complained about paying taxes that you don't benefit from so do you really expect everyone to believe that you wouldn't try to get out of paying any more than you legally have to? You are no different than anyone else that pays taxes, we all try to use every legal advantage possible to pay as little as possible.
Reply/Quote
(08-14-2023, 02:52 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: I'm not going to guess your intent and there's no "gotcha".

You complained about paying taxes that you don't benefit from so do you really expect everyone to believe that you wouldn't try to get out of paying any more than you legally have to? You are no different than anyone else that pays taxes, we all try to use every legal advantage possible to pay as little as possible.

I was being sarcastic and do nothing to get out of paying any taxes.

I actually regularly ignore credits and deductions for which I qualify on my taxes. I am not even joking about this. I used to be a tax accountant so when I say I know what I can claim I know how much I could reduce my tax burden. I don't though. I take the standard deductions and ignore the time and money I give to non-profits. I ignore the education credits I could take. I just move on, claim every bit of income, and even estimate sales and use tax owed to Virginia for purchases made with vendors that do not collect it.

I do find it interesting that you continue with this attack which I have already explained is erroneous rather than actually addressing my points, though. Makes me think I struck a nerve.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
Did. It. Up. Donald no doubt buried things in there with her - if her body is even in the grave!
Reply/Quote
(08-14-2023, 03:01 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I was being sarcastic and do nothing to get out of paying any taxes.

I actually regularly ignore credits and deductions for which I qualify on my taxes. I am not even joking about this. I used to be a tax accountant so when I say I know what I can claim I know how much I could reduce my tax burden. I don't though. I take the standard deductions and ignore the time and money I give to non-profits. I ignore the education credits I could take. I just move on, claim every bit of income, and even estimate sales and use tax owed to Virginia for purchases made with vendors that do not collect it.

I do find it interesting that you continue with this attack which I have already explained is erroneous rather than actually addressing my points, though. Makes me think I struck a nerve.

If you don't care about how much you pay then why bother taking the standard deductions at all?
I get not taking all of them because the time and effort isn't worth the pennies saved, but when you are talking in the Millions, you will take the time and effort or pay an accountant to do that for you.

You didn't touch any nerves, i just think your talking out both sides of your mouth, making hypothetical situations to suit yourself. 

Re-issue your points and i'll gladly talk about them. 
Reply/Quote
(08-14-2023, 03:13 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: You didn't touch any nerves, i just think your talking out both sides of your mouth, making hypothetical situations to suit yourself. 

Again, it's called sarcasm. Not sure why I need to say that a third time. The I make countless comments on here that are tongue-in-cheek so it shouldn't be too surprising. Definitely not talking out of both sides of my mouth.

As for my points.

(08-14-2023, 07:02 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: I would pay. If I am living comfortably, that is all I need. In addition, paying taxes is a patriotic activity. People should take pride in paying their taxes as it is the price we pay for living in a country where we have what we have. How does the military operate? Taxes. How is our infrastructure maintained? Taxes. How do we protect our borders? Taxes.

Whenever anyone talks about how much they work to avoid paying taxes but then bemoans the limited resources of our government and their impact on the ability for them to enforce the laws or protect our citizenry it is a textbook example of irony.

Reply/Quote
(08-14-2023, 03:13 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: If you don't care about how much you pay then why bother taking the standard deductions at all?
I get not taking all of them because the time and effort isn't worth the pennies saved, but when you are talking in the Millions, you will take the time and effort or pay an accountant to do that for you.

You didn't touch any nerves, i just think your talking out both sides of your mouth, making hypothetical situations to suit yourself. 

Just want to say, if Bels said this,

Why should I have to pay to protect children that aren't mine? I already have to pay to support the public school system as a whole without any benefit from it, why should I have to pay more?

He is definitely being ironic--imitating, for parodic effect, the kind of reasoning he has always categorically rejected. So he is still speaking out of only one side of his mouth, though I guess with a bit of ventriloquism.

Why should I have to pay to protect children that aren't mine? I already have to pay to support the public school system as a whole without any benefit from it, why should I have to pay more?
Reply/Quote
(08-14-2023, 03:30 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Again, it's called sarcasm. Not sure why I need to say that a third time. The I make countless comments on here that are tongue-in-cheek so it shouldn't be too surprising. Definitely not talking out of both sides of my mouth.

As for my points.

no Ninja  which means it's not my job to "guess" if you are/aren't being sarcastic, if you don't take people at face value to what they say, then it's the "your putting words in my mouth" thing.

"if i'm am comfortable" Ambiguous statement, everyone has their own definition of what is "comfortable". 

Patriotic duty? If you don't pay you can end up in jail. 

"Whenever anyone talks about how much they work to avoid paying taxes but then bemoans the limited resources of our government and their impact on the ability for them to enforce the laws or protect our citizenry it is a textbook example of irony.?"

So a taxpayer can't complain about how the Gov wastes their tax dollars?
in 2022 alone, the US Gov made $247 Billion in payment error's. Imagine how much has been wasted over the last 20 years?

Yea i'm gonna complain about that
Reply/Quote
(08-14-2023, 04:42 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: "if i'm am comfortable" Ambiguous statement, everyone has their own definition of what is "comfortable". 

Which is fair, but also not really a big component of my overall point. That was more of a personal note on it.

(08-14-2023, 04:42 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Patriotic duty? If you don't pay you can end up in jail. 

The two are not mutually exclusive of each other.

(08-14-2023, 04:42 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: So a taxpayer can't complain about how the Gov wastes their tax dollars?
in 2022 alone, the US Gov made $247 Billion in payment error's. Imagine how much has been wasted over the last 20 years?

Yea i'm gonna complain about that

Except that isn't at all what I said. I thought you were for taking people at what they said?

Reply/Quote
(08-13-2023, 10:46 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: So you are saying if you find a way to legally avoid paying some taxes, you would rather pay those taxes instead?
You aren't making sense, i doubt there's a taxpayer in this world that would pay if they could find a legal way out of it.

Not sure why you said that to me... I generally do not care about Ivana's grave, have a million more severe things to say about Trump and think this issue is not for the media to really comment on much.

But sure, to me there are certain limits to saving a buck at all costs. Theoretically speaking, if one were to bury a loved one some random place just because it helps avoiding to pay some taxes, I would not be totally understanding under every circumstance. In general, I find it highly immoral that Trump did not pay much taxes, if any, throughout his life.
Reply/Quote
(08-14-2023, 05:35 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Except that isn't at all what I said. I thought you were for taking people at what they said?

I pay taxes and i'm complaining about how much is wasted that could have been used on better things.
In one year, half of that 247B could have done wonders for our infrastructure.

That was your point correct? Someone that complains about how tax money is poorly used that could have been better used.

(08-15-2023, 02:37 PM)hollodero Wrote: In general, I find it highly immoral that Trump did not pay much taxes, if any, throughout his life.

That's not solely a Trump problem, that's a tax code problem that allows for it.
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2023, 04:40 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: I pay taxes and i'm complaining about how much is wasted that could have been used on better things.
In one year, half of that 247B could have done wonders for our infrastructure.

That was your point correct? Someone that complains about how tax money is poorly used that could have been better used.

Nope, that wasn't the point. My point had nothing to do with wasteful spending.

Reply/Quote