Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Jackson Carman At Bottom Of Depth Chart
(08-11-2021, 12:00 AM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: I like Trey Smith, thought he would be an Excellent LG. But he fell to the 6th.. I would have taken a shot on him at that point, no matter who we had drafted. I just can't believe his condition caused him to fall that far. 

My guess is that IF we had drafted him, you'd have been hearing about how the Bengals effed up another pick by taking a chance on a guy with a medical history already.. it's a no-win here.

I also wanted Wyatt for RG, Smith for LG and try David Moore (Grambling) at Center, also don't understand how Daviyon Nixon fell so far. Iowa has just been pumping out pretty decent Linemen in the last couple years. 

The draft was just a weird one this past year, the opt-outs that didn't play or like Minerz that didn't get to play really made it a tough draft and guys that did play got draft lower than I thought they would.. just a hard draft all around with alot of guys that probably should have stayed another year too that opted to make money now.  Can't blame them though, no telling how the COVID will play out.

Wanted Nixon badly but we went NT instead with Shelvin which I understand.
Reply/Quote
Just read that Tevin Jenkins has been, and will be potentially for a while, out with a back injury that was kind of the red flag that had him falling during the draft.
Reply/Quote
(08-10-2021, 01:01 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Well, I mean you could say that about any player we took in the 2nd. There is no reason to hate on the Carman pick at this time.

I wanted Humphrey and Eichenberg a little more than Carman but understand why we took Carman.

I also liked Spencer Brown in the 3rd but with Ossai falling that far it was a no brainer IMO.

I dony get that if you have a concern on a rookie pick from last draft especially Oline it is hate, I dont remember people saying that when you question Ross pick they were call haters, I think some are very sensitive since we picked Chase when you post a concern on our Oline picks such as Carman,.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2021, 03:32 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: I dony get that if you have a concern on a rookie pick from last draft especially Oline it is hate, I dont remember people saying that when you question Ross pick they were call haters, I think some are very sensitive since we picked Chase when you post a concern on our Oline picks such as Carman,.

I think the Ross hate was due to it being viewed as such a reach, and even then there were still people defedning Ross. Then the knock was that he was hurt, like most of the Bengals first round picks had been and people started to get more upset. Then he played, his first snap was a fumble and immediately he was banished by Lewis (who it seems didn't like the pick).

That is when I think the real hate for Ross began. The Carman hate is happening before the guy has taken a single snap in Pre-season and that is really premature. I still think the team made a mistake in round one, but I'm not going to let that failure result in coming down on a different pick. 

Let's see how he does in pre-season before we cut him

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(08-11-2021, 03:32 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: I think some are very sensitive since we picked Chase when you post a concern on our Oline picks such as Carman,.

I find on this board in general some members are overly sensitive about certain topics/issues and respond as if you are attacking them personally the way they come back at you.

Thicker skin should be a requirement when joining... LOL
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2021, 03:50 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote:  The Carman hate is happening before the guy has taken a single snap in Pre-season and that is really premature. I still think the team made a mistake in round one, but I'm not going to let that failure result in coming down on a different pick. 

This X 1000

A lot of the Carmen hate is directly proportional to the Sewell love.

And this is coming from a guy who wanted Sewell.
Reply/Quote
I think it's a little odd that Duke is publicly calling Carman out already for being out of shape.  I think it's possible he'd been warned already.  I wonder what Marvin would've said if he was still the coach.

[Image: 18FULLMETALJ-jumbo.jpg?quality=90&auto=webp]
"Our offensive line is going to surprise a lot of people" - Mike Brown (7-26-21)
Reply/Quote
Most of the (ridiculous) Carman hate is coming from Sewell camp people and particularly some who were posting pretty condescending and somewhat insulting comments.
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2021, 03:32 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: I dony get that if you have a concern on a rookie pick from last draft especially Oline it is hate, I dont remember people saying that when you question Ross pick they were call haters, I think some are very sensitive since we picked Chase when you post a concern on our Oline picks such as Carman,.

There were more reasons to hate the Ross pick then the Carman pick and I was a Ross supporter until he just became a lost 
cause. Most of the people been hating on the Carman pick just didn't know who he was and didn't do their homework before 
the Draft on him. Not knowing about him if very forgivable at least if you try and know more about him before cut him down.

(08-11-2021, 03:50 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: I think the Ross hate was due to it being viewed as such a reach, and even then there were still people defedning Ross. Then the knock was that he was hurt, like most of the Bengals first round picks had been and people started to get more upset. Then he played, his first snap was a fumble and immediately he was banished by Lewis (who it seems didn't like the pick).

That is when I think the real hate for Ross began. The Carman hate is happening before the guy has taken a single snap in Pre-season and that is really premature. I still think the team made a mistake in round one, but I'm not going to let that failure result in coming down on a different pick. 

Well said and you were and always wanted Sewell. It is premature with Carman, we could have a really good OL here.

(08-11-2021, 03:53 PM)GodFather Wrote: I find on this board in general some members are overly sensitive about certain topics/issues and respond as if you are attacking them personally the way they come back at you.

For sure, yah better have thick skin around here.

(08-11-2021, 05:25 PM)fredtoast Wrote: This X 1000

A lot of the Carmen hate is directly proportional to the Sewell love.

And this is coming from a guy who wanted Sewell.

ThumbsUp

(08-11-2021, 06:16 PM)Joelist Wrote: Most of the (ridiculous) Carman hate is coming from Sewell camp people and particularly some who were posting pretty condescending and somewhat insulting comments.

There are the good ones and the bad ones who like you say go too far.
Reply/Quote
BTW, just heard Carman was having some good snaps today handling Freedom A the End/DT who is having a solid camp.
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2021, 06:16 PM)Joelist Wrote: Most of the (ridiculous) Carman hate is coming from Sewell camp people and particularly some who were posting pretty condescending and somewhat insulting comments.

Carmans garbage. He will not be a good pro. U can call it condescending or whatever Ud like but it was a horrible pick the decision to not go tackle in 1 was a horrible idea and the offensive line is still horrible after the pick so right on go bengals
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2021, 06:55 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: BTW, just heard Carman was having some good snaps today handling Freedom A the End/DT who is having a solid camp.

Bruh did freedom even see the field last year let alone this year unless everyone gets hurt. Who cares if Carman is having good reps against a 17th string defensive lineman
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2021, 03:50 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: I think the Ross hate was due to it being viewed as such a reach, and even then there were still people defedning Ross. Then the knock was that he was hurt, like most of the Bengals first round picks had been and people started to get more upset. Then he played, his first snap was a fumble and immediately he was banished by Lewis (who it seems didn't like the pick).

Again my point it seems any mention of concern is played anti Team but Ross nope and we could really debate legitimate  pieces around Carman pick also that would be similar to Ross pick but if do the knives come out
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2021, 03:53 PM)GodFather Wrote: I find on this board in general some members are overly sensitive about certain topics/issues and respond as if you are attacking them personally the way they come back at you.

Trust me I know lol
Reply/Quote
After listening to Tobins podcast , he is slow to adjusting to guard which makes sense but also did not come in the shape expected at this level, so that seems to be a set back
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2021, 07:16 PM)SadFaceBengal15 Wrote: Bruh did freedom even see the field last year let alone this year unless everyone gets hurt.  Who cares if Carman is having good reps against a 17th string defensive lineman

Not that I know of, 17th string D-lineman lol

Good reps are good reps. Have to start somewhere as a rookie. I care.

Sewell would of been playing Guard for us too BTW if we Drafted him, he wouldn't be starting over Jonah or Reiff.

Slater is the one guy that is looking like we maybe should of Drafted in the 1st if we went OL. 

He is playing well as a rookie already.
Reply/Quote
Tiger
By week 4 you'll know.
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2021, 08:30 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Not that I know of, 17th string D-lineman lol

Good reps are good reps. Have to start somewhere as a rookie. I care.

Sewell would of been playing Guard for us too BTW if we Drafted him, he wouldn't be starting over Jonah or Reiff.

Slater is the one guy that is looking like we maybe should of Drafted in the 1st if we went OL. 

He is playing well as a rookie already.

I dont think we know that, Sewell coming with level of player we was Drafted would have had a shot at tackle more than Carman
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2021, 09:20 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: I dont think we know that, Sewell coming  with level of player we was Drafted would have had a shot at tackle more than Carman

Maybe, but Sewell also didn't play in a big conference or top competition. He dominated smaller school players and lower comp.

At least Carman played well against Chase Young as a Tackle.
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2021, 06:55 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: BTW, just heard Carman was having some good snaps today handling Freedom A the End/DT who is having a solid camp.

Not sure where you heard that. From another board:

"Tony Pike just came on 1530 (at camp today) and said what we have all heard a lot. The interior O line is getting destroyed over and over. Michael Jordan, Filo, Carman, Smith and others have looked terrible... Jackson Carman needed to repeat a hands drill 3 times because he was off on the speed and also he really only received a few reps at the very end of each drill."

Believe who you will. But this one's far more specific and even has a source.

Another one from the Enquirer yesterday (that most people have probably seen): 

"In one-on-one drills on Tuesday, Carman went up twice against defensive tackle Freedom Akinmoladun, who isn't projected to make the team. On his first rep, Akinmoladun got under Carman's pads and got to the quarterback under Carman's right arm. On his second rep, Akinmoladun shoved Carman straight back into the pocket... Fourth round pick D'Ante Smith also faced a defensive tackle who isn't projected to make the team in Renell Wren. Smith won both of his matchups."
Reply/Quote