Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Jackson Carman At Bottom Of Depth Chart
(08-12-2021, 02:11 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I heard Carman was starting here and there and the depth chart never means much at this time of year.

I tend to believe this and the reports from Lions camp on Sewell. You have Sewell/Oregon Duck colored glasses too dude.

You even admitted so.

I admitted that I was a Sewell fan, because I am an Oregon Ducks fan. I thought he was the better pick, but I also loved the Chase pick. That’s why I’m not arguing Chase and Sewell. I’m arguing Sewell and Carman.

I think Chase will be a stud.

I think Sewell will be a stud.

I’m uncertain about Carman, and reports haven’t helped that. They certainly haven’t favored Carman.
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2021, 02:28 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Not sure how he makes it barring some injuries.

Reader
Ogunjobi
Daniels
Tupou
Shelvin
Wren

Highly doubt they'll keep 6 DTs. He'd probably have to beat out Shelvin who they just spent a 4th rounder on this year, so unlikely to cut.

I guess Wren could make it if they keep 11 DL, but I don't think that's the norm, and with the shaky health and depth of the T position, you probably need to go heavier there instead.

We only paid Mike Daniels $1.5 million.  He did not look good last year.  I think he is far from a lock to make the roster.
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2021, 02:28 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Not sure how he makes it barring some injuries.

Reader
Ogunjobi
Daniels
Tupou
Shelvin
Wren

Highly doubt they'll keep 6 DTs. He'd probably have to beat out Shelvin who they just spent a 4th rounder on this year, so unlikely to cut.

I guess Wren could make it if they keep 11 DL, but I don't think that's the norm, and with the shaky health and depth of the T position, you probably need to go heavier there instead.

Reader, Topou and Shelvin are NT's, while Ogunjobi, Daniels and Wren are DT's and listed as such as 1-3 on the depth chart. With as many interior defensive linemen as we ran through last year, I expect they'll keep 6
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2021, 03:02 PM)fredtoast Wrote: We only paid Mike Daniels $1.5 million.  He did not look good last year.  I think he is far from a lock to make the roster.

Not positive, but I don't think the Bengals normally give signing bonuses for 1 year FA deals for guys they aren't already leaning heavily towards keeping. 

I think Eli Apple is a better example of a guy they weren't sure on keeping when they initially signed. He didn't get a signing bonus but instead a roster bonus if he is there Week 1. Kavon Frazier, Trent Taylor, and Mike Thomas are also guys they signed in FA to 1 year deals with no signing bonus.

Evans, Daniels, B Allen, Harris, Huber, and Spain all got signing bonuses.

Mike Brown isn't a guy to throw a couple hundred K away on guys who aren't heavily favored to make the roster just a little while later.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2021, 02:31 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: I admitted that I was a Sewell fan, because I am an Oregon Ducks fan. I thought he was the better pick, but I also loved the Chase pick. That’s why I’m not arguing Chase and Sewell. I’m arguing Sewell and Carman.

I’m uncertain about Carman, and reports haven’t helped that. They certainly haven’t favored Carman.

The pick up at number one to me is contingent. If you go with Sewell, its obvious you have a lineman. If you go with Chase, then make sure you makeup the difference somewhere else to assure the offensive line will be in a much better place this year. 

I love Chase and think hes going to be great with us, I also would've loved Sewell. So to me the big thing is what this front office DIDNT do enough of this offseason to address the offensive line. If your answer is Reiff and Carman, and Jackson is going to take time to develop, then you should've gotten a day one starter somewhere else be it the draft or FA.
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2021, 03:18 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Not positive, but I don't think the Bengals normally give signing bonuses for 1 year FA deals for guys they aren't already leaning heavily towards keeping. 

I think Eli Apple is a better example of a guy they weren't sure on keeping when they initially signed. He didn't get a signing bonus but instead a roster bonus if he is there Week 1. Kavon Frazier, Trent Taylor, and Mike Thomas are also guys they signed in FA to 1 year deals with no signing bonus.

Evans, Daniels, B Allen, Harris, Huber, and Spain all got signing bonuses.

Mike Brown isn't a guy to throw a couple hundred K away on guys who aren't heavily favored to make the roster just a little while later.

Besides, Daniels was playing injured last year and they know that. He's healthy now.
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2021, 02:01 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Why in the hell are you guys ignoring Sewell's poor play in pass protection?

Not to start another Sewell v Chase debate but my thoughts on why Sewell is looking great in drills and well in run blocking and struggling with pass protection is the exact same issue that has been seen with Chase dropping passes and not getting separation.

Both sat out a year and are going from college to no play to the NFL speed. It will take a little time to get used to it again. 

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Late 2nd early 3rd quarters the interior line will likely be D'Ante Smtih - Trey Hill - Jackson Carman in a vanilla run heavy offense. That plays to Hill's and Carman's strength. I can see both have a big game Saturday.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
I just hope Carman's issues where it seems he was not in shape at the start of camp are related to his previous medical issues and not motivational issues. That's a bad sign IMO if he was healthy but could not get himself in shape in time for training camp. Don't get me wrong. I'm 100% rooting for him to be a great player. But the Bengals need highly motivated players.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
Even if Sewell is struggling with pass pro, wouldnt it be nice to have a mauler on this line? Someone to help open up holes for Mixon to run through?

Jonah Reiff and Sewell all on this line wouldve been the ideal scenario.
Reply/Quote
Haven't kept up with other teams. Is Sewell playing RT or LT? If he's switching sides, that will take a little adjusting - much like moving from tackle to guard.
Reply/Quote

Reader
Ogunjobi
Daniels
Tupou
Shelvin
Wren

Damn in a good way, forgot we were that stacked. Would have to have a injury looks like for Wren to make it, oh well.

Sure looks different than last year which is awesome where we were so thin at DT.

Tupou looks like he is having one heck of a camp which is great and Ogunjobi looks to be playing great lately.
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2021, 02:31 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: I admitted that I was a Sewell fan, because I am an Oregon Ducks fan. I thought he was the better pick, but I also loved the Chase pick. That’s why I’m not arguing Chase and Sewell. I’m arguing Sewell and Carman.

Alright, I am undoubtedly backing Carman as I liked him before we drafted him as he comes from a bigger school played better
competition and thought he fit RG for us perfectly as I thought Guard was a little weaker than OT after picking up Reiff. Him being
out of shape isn't good which has been the main report on Carman. Still cannot wait to see him play and learn the RG position I 
think he will be a natural RG once he gets it down. The thing about Carman is he can still play OT on either side if one of our 
starters goes down. I like this versatility.

I wanted Pitts, then Sewell, then Chase in that order pre-draft. Also would of loved for us to have traded back and grabbed Slater.
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2021, 03:27 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Not to start another Sewell v Chase debate but my thoughts on why Sewell is looking great in drills and well in run blocking and struggling with pass protection is the exact same issue that has been seen with Chase dropping passes and not getting separation.

Both sat out a year and are going from college to no play to the NFL speed. It will take a little time to get used to it again. 

Yes thought this would be the case especially with Sewell so no surprise. He is a GREAT run blocker though.

(08-12-2021, 03:35 PM)Synric Wrote: Late 2nd early 3rd quarters the interior line will likely be D'Ante Smtih - Trey Hill - Jackson Carman in a vanilla run heavy offense. That plays to Hill's and Carman's strength. I can see both have a big game Saturday.

I can see the same.

(08-12-2021, 03:38 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: I just hope Carman's issues where it seems he was not in shape at the start of camp are related to his previous medical issues and not motivational issues.  That's a bad sign IMO if he was healthy but could not get himself in shape in time for training camp.  Don't get me wrong.  I'm 100% rooting for him to be a great player.   But the Bengals need highly motivated players.

I don't see it being motivational, Carman could of sat out late last season when he was injured but instead stayed and did his 
best to protect his QB while they went for a Championship. He was a good teammate and played through it even though it 
lowered his draft stock cause he wasn't even close to 100%.

(08-12-2021, 03:43 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: Even if Sewell is struggling with pass pro, wouldnt it be nice to have a mauler on this line? Someone to help open up holes for Mixon to run through?

Jonah Reiff and Sewell all on this line wouldve been the ideal scenario.

No arguing with that, but it is crying over spilt milk and Sewell isn't here. Carman is and he is also a mauling run blocker.
Reply/Quote
I would say after reading messages after draft on Carman and most saying we will find a starter for this season in round 2 if Carman starts out 3rd guard that will be a major disappointment .
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2021, 06:38 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: I would say after reading messages after draft on Carman and most saying we will find a starter for this season in round 2 if Carman starts out 3rd guard that will be a major disappointment .

Agree with that, he better be at least the first dude off the bench for the RG spot and both OT spots behind Reiff and Jonah.

XSF is an experienced vet that has played Guard in the NFL for years, if he beats Carman out it isn't so bad, but not Jordan ugh.
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2021, 03:19 PM)GodFather Wrote: The pick up at number one to me is contingent. If you go with Sewell, its obvious you have a lineman. If you go with Chase, then make sure you makeup the difference somewhere else to assure the offensive line will be in a much better place this year. 

I love Chase and think hes going to be great with us, I also would've loved Sewell. So to me the big thing is what this front office DIDNT do enough of this offseason to address the offensive line. If your answer is Reiff and Carman, and Jackson is going to take time to develop, then you should've gotten a day one starter somewhere else be it the draft or FA.
Reply/Quote
You could not be more right.
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2021, 05:38 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I don't see it being motivational, Carman could of sat out late last season when he was injured but instead stayed and did his 
best to protect his QB while they went for a Championship. He was a good teammate and played through it even though it 
lowered his draft stock cause he wasn't even close to 100%.

Well then let's hope the reports from Tobin that he needs to get in peak shape are due to his previous medical issues and being a bit behind.  If he does indeed have the drive to get to where he needs to be then I'm sure he will give all he has to work toward being a starter.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2021, 06:44 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Agree with that, he better be at least the first dude off the bench for the RG spot and both OT spots behind Reiff and Jonah.

XSF is an experienced vet that has played Guard in the NFL for years, if he beats Carman out it isn't so bad, but not Jordan ugh.

Agree Iim rooting for him but as far as draft I felt he was a reach with pick, I hope that does not come true
Reply/Quote