Poll: Who should be the RT?
Jackson Carman
D'Ante Smith
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 1.6 Average
Jackson Carman or D'Ante Smith at RT
Let's pretend we lose Jonah in free agency and don't like the price for outside free agent RT help. Then the draft falls the way it did for us at TE last year. Meaning we get nothing.

We have two draft picks that hopefully have been developing for three years now.

Doesn't seem ideal. But I think we could be alright.

Who do you think would win the RT job between Jackson Carman and D'Ante Smith
Reply/Quote
[Image: 0*5qT5Ogui6peGfSEX]
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
Neither because this option is just illogical and WON'T happen. There's a good possibility one of those might not even be on the team in 2024.
Reply/Quote
I'll go with Jackson. I thought he looked decent in our last playoff run filling in. The eye test said he did very well in Buffalo, but the snow could have helped in that scenario. He seems to have the power and build but I'm not sure what it is that's holding him back. Between the ears perhaps? Or does it have anything to do with running almost everything out of the shotgun and always tipping our hand? I sure hope Burrow goes under center more this next year, otherwise it's just going to be a repeat year and the shine will have worn off our QB with another injury.
For God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control.
2 Timothy 1:7

Reply/Quote
D'Ante Smith has seen a grand total of 51 snaps in regular season games, with 50 of those coming in 2021. As I remember, his college footage looked to be technically sound, but he needed development to handle the strength of NFL pass rushers. He's had 3 seasons to work on improving his physical strength. I would say that he gets a long, hard look in preseason, and if he doesn't look the part he could likely be a cut candidate.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-13-2024, 03:50 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Let's pretend we lose Jonah in free agency and don't like the price for outside free agent RT help. Then the draft falls the way it did for us at TE last year. Meaning we get nothing.

We have two draft picks that hopefully have been developing for three years now.

Doesn't seem ideal. But I think we could be alright.

Who do you think would win the RT job between Jackson Carman and D'Ante Smith
You're fired
Reply/Quote
I don't think D'Ante Smith would "win" the job so much as Carman would lose it to literally whoever he was competing against. Carman is terrible and would lose his job to a paper bag should the opportunity arise.
Reply/Quote
Smith just seems like a complete project at this point who dosen't seem 53 man worthy sames goes for Trey Hill . Carman actually played decent when he filled in mid game vs. Baltimore last year and played decent in the playoffs vs Buffalo. The vibe I get from Carman is he's lazy, out of shape and has a bad worth ethic and he's always in the coaches dog house. Carman can be decent because I feel like relies solely on his talent and physical ability.
Reply/Quote
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
C. None of the above

As has been said I don't think either is NFL starter quality and to be honest aren't that great of backups, especially Smith. Lets pray they can find someone above those two.
Reply/Quote
Is Burrow not playing next year or did I miss something?

These two are backups at best.
"Our offensive line is going to surprise a lot of people" - Mike Brown (7-26-21)
Reply/Quote
(02-13-2024, 11:18 AM)2MinutesHate Wrote: Is Burrow not playing next year or did I miss something?

These two are backups at best.

We're in that void between the Superbowl and the beginning of Free Agency, when there is very little in the way of actual team news to talk about..

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Neither. But if I HAD to choose, it's Smith. Jackson has proven he can't play on the right side, and barely passable on the left. His second-round paycheck is a Bengals charity at this point. Hope he got a good education at Clemson, he'll be selling used cars or insurance soon!
Reply/Quote
just let it go. Jackson Carman will never amount to anything. Let the dream die

It's because you are of such profound wisdom, Frank Booth. - SunsetBengal
Reply/Quote
(02-13-2024, 12:09 PM)The D.O.Z. Wrote: Neither. But if I HAD to choose, it's Smith. Jackson has proven he can't play on the right side, and barely passable on the left. His second-round paycheck is a Bengals charity at this point. Hope he got a good education at Clemson, he'll be selling used cars or insurance soon!

$7.44M for doing very little is a pretty good scam, on his part.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Yeah this is absolutely the worst case scenario I can think of. If they don’t sign a FA then they have to take a RT at 18. I would expect the 18th pick to be better than either of these 2 even if there is a learning curve.
Reply/Quote
I'd rather have Bobby Hart. Mellow

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(02-13-2024, 08:14 AM)Mer Wrote: I'll go with Jackson. I thought he looked decent in our last playoff run filling in. The eye test said he did very well in Buffalo, but the snow could have helped in that scenario. He seems to have the power and build but I'm not sure what it is that's holding him back. Between the ears perhaps? Or does it have anything to do with running almost everything out of the shotgun and always tipping our hand?  I sure hope Burrow goes under center more this next year, otherwise it's just going to be a repeat year and the shine will have worn off our QB with another injury.

Wasn't that at LT?  He seemed to be serviceable there, but on the right side he was awful.
Reply/Quote
(02-13-2024, 12:46 PM)Wyche Wrote: I'd rather have Bobby Hart. Mellow

I'm pretty sure he's available.  Ninja

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-13-2024, 12:52 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Wasn't that at LT?  He seemed to be serviceable there, but on the right side he was awful.

That was at left tackle. I remember him at guard and that was terrible but I wasn't sure if he ever played RT in a game.
For God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control.
2 Timothy 1:7

Reply/Quote