Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.8 Average
Jake Browning appreciation thread
Well, well well. How the turntables...
Reply/Quote
(12-24-2023, 01:20 PM)The D.O.Z. Wrote: I'm not worried about Jake, he's a backup for a reason. "Shitting the bed vs Pittsburgh" is an organizational thing, a tradition. A "We've Seen This Movie Before" thing. They could add it to "death and taxes" when it comes to life's certainties.

I mentioned this somewhere else, but it seems like we always need our QB to play flawless, and need Pig Pen to throw us a few picks to win against these turds. I just don't get it. It goes back years. We obviously would've won the first game with Burrow, but I don't know about last night with the way both lines played. Even he may have struggled.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-24-2023, 02:47 PM)Wyche Wrote: I mentioned this somewhere else, but it seems like we always need our QB to play flawless, and need Pig Pen to throw us a few picks to win against these turds. I just don't get it. It goes back years. We obviously would've won the first game with Burrow, but I don't know about last night with the way both lines played. Even he may have struggled.

Well, even after all that, Burrow still holds the crown over Browning for most craptastic performance against the Steelers, does he not?
Reply/Quote
(12-24-2023, 02:50 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Well, even after all that, Burrow still holds the crown over Browning for most craptastic performance against the Steelers, does he not?

Idk the 5 turnover game was bad, but he did bring us all the way back and threw what should have been the game winning TD if not for the FG snafus.

Reply/Quote
(12-24-2023, 03:00 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Idk the 5 turnover game was bad, but he did bring us all the way back and threw what should have been the game winning TD if not for the FG snafus.

True, but going -5 in the turnover column and being within the same universe as a W is pretty nuts in itself.  We looked that gift horse right in the arse, there.  
Reply/Quote
(12-24-2023, 02:50 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Well, even after all that, Burrow still holds the crown over Browning for most craptastic performance against the Steelers, does he not?

Ha ha ha, yep. That was the worst game I've seen him play outside of Chicago. Well.... Cleveland this year was bad, but he was hurt and the weather was awful. I give him a pass for that one.

(12-24-2023, 03:00 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Idk the 5 turnover game was bad, but he did bring us all the way back and threw what should have been the game winning TD if not for the FG snafus.

True, but being fair to Jake, the defense played a lot better that day than they did for Browning last night. They were worse than he was.

Reply/Quote
(12-24-2023, 03:07 PM)WychesWarrior Wrote: True, but being fair to Jake, the defense played a lot better that day than they did for Browning last night. They were worse than he was.

Yeah, I was just addressing Nately’s post about worst QB performance though.

Reply/Quote
Also, remember how bad the OL was in that 1st Pitt game last season? Burrow was sacked 7x and they were an absolute disaster. They weren’t very good yesterday either, but those first couple games last season (Steelers & Cowboys) were insanely bad.

Reply/Quote
(12-24-2023, 03:30 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Yeah, I was just addressing Nately’s post about worst QB performance though.

I understand, what I was hinting at was maybe Joe didn't have a chance to get us back in the game if the defense played as poorly that day. Offensive line was really bad last night too. To your point, Browning could've easily thrown two or three more picks as well. 

Reply/Quote
(12-24-2023, 03:34 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Also, remember how bad the OL was in that 1st Pitt game last season? Burrow was sacked 7x and they were an absolute disaster. They weren’t very good yesterday either, but those first couple games last season (Steelers & Cowboys) were insanely bad.

You're right, I had forgotten the seven sacks. I do remember the bad showing in Dallas. When Burrow goes into hero mode, it's hard to stop him no matter what.

Reply/Quote
(12-24-2023, 01:44 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: His 2 games against the Steelers have been awful. The Middle was wide open on nearly every play Browning didn't throw their enough Browning ball tends to flutter a smidge on outside throws due to arm strength issues the Chad Pennington comparison on the broadcast appears to be accurate.

I blame that on Taylor by calling so many screen passes and horizontal plays. Taylor does a horrible job attacking the midddle.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
The AFCN is becoming a Zac problem. Not a QB problem.

Team spent too much time drafting and preparing to oust the Chiefs in title games and lost focus on the AFCN. All the while the North has been drafting and focused on defeating them.

Zac’s going to have to run it in the North. There is no path back to dominance relying on a pass heavy assault that Balt, Pitt, and Cleveland has spent the last two years building secondaries to stop.

They’ve got to fix the run game, play calling, consistency, whatever it is. And they’ve got to fix this Defense.

They’ve got to go back to basics and build to compete in the North.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(12-25-2023, 02:51 AM)jj22 Wrote: The AFCN is becoming a Zac problem. Not a QB problem.

Team spent too much time drafting and preparing to oust the Chiefs in title games and lost focus on the AFCN. All the while the North has been drafting and focused on defeating them.

Zac’s going to have to run it in the North. There is no path back to dominance relying on a pass heavy assault that Balt, Pitt, and Cleveland has spent the last two years building secondaries to stop.

They’ve got to fix the run game, play calling, consistency, whatever it is. And they’ve got to fix this Defense.

They’ve got to go back to basics and build to compete in the North.

This doesnt really make sense.  The exact same roster minus a couple of safeties won the AFCN the last 2 years.  Any team that can beat the Chiefs and the Bills should also be able to beat the AFCN teams.  

The Steelers were destroyed by the Texans, not even close to an AFCN team.  The Jaguars are not an AFCN type team either.  Are the Cardinals an AFCN team?

The Colts beat the Ravens and the Steelers, and the Browns if not for 2 horrendous calls at the end of the game.

The Browns are in salary cap hell (-14M), Watson is not a good QB, the Steelers have no QB, the Ravens are a very solid team but with many key free agents after this season.

We are not very good without Burrow, some wrongly believed Jake was special, he is not.  A healthy Joe makes a huge difference, if we can shore up RT and NT we should be fine next season and battling the Ravens for the top spot again.

Reply/Quote
(12-25-2023, 03:11 AM)casear2727 Wrote: This doesnt really make sense.  The exact same roster minus a couple of safeties won the AFCN the last 2 years.  Any team that can beat the Chiefs and the Bills should also be able to beat the AFCN teams.  

The Steelers were destroyed by the Texans, not even close to an AFCN team.  The Jaguars are not an AFCN type team either.  Are the Cardinals an AFCN team?

The Colts beat the Ravens and the Steelers, and the Browns if not for 2 horrendous calls at the end of the game.

The Browns are in salary cap hell (-14M), Watson is not a good QB, the Steelers have no QB, the Ravens are a very solid team but with many key free agents after this season.

We are not very good without Burrow, some wrongly believed Jake was special, he is not.  A healthy Joe makes a huge difference, if we can shore up RT and NT we should be fine next season and battling the Ravens for the top spot again.

We were what 0-4 with Burrow….. The AFCN teams have Zac figured  out. They may not have those other teams figured out, but they’ve been built the last two years to beat the Bengals (not teams in the other divisions) and it’s coming to fruition. 

Bengals have grown more and more finesse. Finesse will beat Bills and KC. Not AFCN teams. They can’t get to the playoffs to beat KC if they can’t get out of the North. They are getting bullied by all the teams in the North. All of them. Even the supposedly bad ones with coaches under fire. Ones on their 4th and 5th QB. That spells trouble in the coming seasons if they don’t reset their focus.

Reply/Quote
(12-25-2023, 01:19 PM)jj22 Wrote: We were what 0-4 with Burrow….. The AFCN teams have Zac figured  out. They may not have those other teams figured out, but they’ve been built the last two years to beat the Bengals (not teams in the other divisions) and it’s coming to fruition. 

Bengals have grown more and more finesse. Finesse will beat Bills and KC. Not AFCN teams. They can’t get to the playoffs to beat KC if they can’t get out of the North. They are getting bullied by all the teams in the North. All of them. Even the supposedly bad ones with coaches under fire. Ones on their 4th and 5th QB. That spells trouble in the coming seasons if they don’t reset their focus.

Totally agree with this team built on finesse. Too much focus on WR and not enough built on interior players. You can win with average WR and QB. Look at the stains

Reply/Quote
(12-25-2023, 01:58 PM)Bronxbengal Wrote: Totally agree with this team built on finesse. Too much focus on WR and not enough built on interior players. You can win with average WR and QB. Look at the stains

LMAO

They’ve had Garrett and a dominant OL for years and haven’t won a damn thing. Their single playoff victory since returning to Cleveland came against a 38 year old Big Ben.

Plus, Amari Cooper (who they felt the need to trade for) is better than “average” anyway.

Reply/Quote
(12-25-2023, 01:19 PM)jj22 Wrote: We were what 0-4 with Burrow….. The AFCN teams have Zac figured  out. They may not have those other teams figured out, but they’ve been built the last two years to beat the Bengals (not teams in the other divisions) and it’s coming to fruition. 

i thought we had glass eaters now according to Pollack ?? bad year but i would have to contend that AFC North has dominated us. Since 2021 we are 4-3 vs Ravens, and 3-3 with Steelers.. the Browns have had our number will agree to that. If we go two years in a row with 1 or 2 wins only, then i would start to be concerned...
Reply/Quote

(12-25-2023, 01:58 PM)Bronxbengal Wrote: Totally agree with this team built on finesse. Too much focus on WR and not enough built on interior players. You can win with average WR and QB. Look at the stains

Lol, you guys tell us how he Steelers, Browns and Ravens have changed since last year.

Bengals won the North the last 2 years.

Watt Highsmith, Hayward have been on the Steelers as have Najee Harris, if anythiing the Steelers have tried to pass the ball more. Their offense has been horrendous. But thier PASSING game killed us. So it is NOT the Steelers who became tougher.

The Browns have had the same oline, RB, TE and receiver. Their defense added Smith and Tomlinson, picked up a safety, but Garrett, Newsome and Ward are still their best players, always been there. Browns have tried to throw the ball more this year as well with Watson. Flacco is averaging over 300 passing yards - not smash mouth football.

The Ravens offense is the same as last year except they added 2 WIDE RECEIVERS (that's smash mouth football right?). Their defense is the same from last year.

Comical takes, but not surprised. We didnt have a healthy Burrow for almost the entire season, Zac's play calling has always been an issue of disagreement. But the players on this team WON the North the past 2 seasons, none of the 4 AFCN teams changed that much.

So you tell us how the Steelers, Ravens and Browns built themselves this year to beat us.

Reply/Quote
0-5 should tell you enough. Welcome back.

Reply/Quote
(12-25-2023, 01:58 PM)Bronxbengal Wrote: Totally agree with this team built on finesse.  Too much focus on WR and not enough built on interior players.  You can win with average WR and QB.  Look at the stains

Yep. Baltimore and Cleveland changed defensive coordinators. Burrow killed that Wink defense and Baltimore was quick to make a change. Many around here wanted Schwartz as DC so that was a brilliant hire by Cleveland. Who had players but not the coaching. Coordinator changes are significant changes. Steelers had a hell of a draft and they shined in games against the Bengals. Ball control and defense and that’s enough for them to win.

Reply/Quote