Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jake says he's proven he's a starter and top 32 in the world at his position
I think he showed he is a capable backup QB, but no he is not one of the top 32 QBs in this league. He has too many flaws to ever be a fulltime starter.
It's easy to see the world in black and white. Grey? I don't know what to do with grey.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2024, 10:53 AM)Garrus Wrote: I think he showed he is a capable backup QB, but no he is not one of the top 32 QBs in this league. He has too many flaws to ever be a fulltime starter.

I think he's undoubtedly top-32.

But not even top-27, the margin is that small.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
I do respect Browning's remark. It showed swagger and confidence that's he a top QB and reflected he was humble enough to know this is Burrow's team. Maybe this bodes well that Browning backs up Burrow for seasons to come.
Reply/Quote
If Jake was younger, I'd feel better about his prospects of getting a shot to start. He however may already be what he is and not have a lot of room to improve. He is a top 32 qb in the league, but as someone else said it is likely in the 25-32 range.

Bengals should give him a raise, but I'm not sold they are looking to pay a backup QB anything more than vet minimum. That's why we were "stuck" with Browning as the backup to begin with.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
I'm curious to know which team(s) y'all think Browning might be an upgrade for.

My take is these teams could use a QB:
Patriots, Falcons for sure
Possibly Vikings if they don't re-sign Cousins
Then you get into some gray areas with Commanders, Bears, Giants based on the current guy they have
Also possible the Broncos move on from Wilson
Mayfield is set to hit FA again this offseason, but I think he'll re-sign with the Bucs. If not, the Bucs will need a QB again.

A few of those teams will be drafting a guy early to be their future franchise QB.
Would they bring in a guy like Browning to bridge the gap or compete for the short-term?
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-08-2024, 11:12 AM)ochocincos Wrote: I'm curious to know which team(s) y'all think Browning might be an upgrade for.

My take is these teams could use a QB:
Patriots, Falcons for sure
Possibly Vikings if they don't re-sign Cousins
Then you get into some gray areas with Commanders, Bears, Giants based on the current guy they have
Also possible the Broncos move on from Wilson
Mayfield is set to hit FA again this offseason, but I think he'll re-sign with the Bucs. If not, the Bucs will need a QB again.

A few of those teams will be drafting a guy early to be their future franchise QB.
Would they bring in a guy like Browning to bridge the gap or compete for the short-term?

I feel like the Falcons already have the exact same guy as Browning in Tyler Heinicke.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
He probably played his way into a very lucrative career as a clipboard holder.

Might even reach Fitzpatrick status being a stop gap for teams in a couple years.

But I don't think he really showed enough to prove that he is going to be the guy anywhere. Maybe I'm wrong. Hopefully I am, as long as it isn't in the AFCN.
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2024, 10:56 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: I think he's undoubtedly top-32.

But not even top-27, the margin is that small.

Yep. And that's probably career backup that comes in and has a few good games for a stretch.

But, not good enough to make a team without loaded skill positions a great team.

Could he step in on the 49ers and lead them to the playoffs and maybe playoff wins? Probably.

Could he step in on the Cardinals and lead them to the playoffs? No.
Reply/Quote
I don't know if any team is offering any premium draft capital for Jake Browning, but the Bengals would do well to keep him around a few more years. The team responded well to him in Burrow's absence and he stepped up as a leader. To me, having that sort of depth is worth way more than some 50/50 at best, crapshoot draft pick.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I think given Burrow's injury "history", we are really going to have to have a legit backup option. We can't rely on Burrow remaining healthy and that changes the outlook on the backup qb plan.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
If Browning is our QB2 for seasons to come at least we know his gf (and I assume wife-to-be) is going to bring her A-game with the Bengals fandom. She blew up the internet yesterday.
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2024, 11:44 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I don't know if any team is offering any premium draft capital for Jake Browning, but the Bengals would do well to keep him around a few more years.  The team responded well to him in Burrow's absence and he stepped up as a leader.  To me, having that sort of depth is worth way more than some 50/50 at best, crapshoot draft pick.

It will be interesting to see after next year if the Bengals FO will be willing to tie up more cap percentage in the QB position when Browning becomes a free agent. Watching Browning's fundamentals makes me less worried if they do make a backup QB change.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
He'll likely stay here as long as he has to with his contract...then leave to try to compete somewhere else.

But, one thing to consider is Burrow's wrist injury...high probability he comes back 100%, but maybe he doesn't or it takes more time. Plus, he's never had a full training camp.

So we definately need a quality backup.
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2024, 12:23 PM)Synric Wrote: It will be interesting to see after next year if the Bengals FO will be willing to tie up more cap percentage in the QB position when Browning becomes a free agent. Watching Browning's fundamentals makes me less worried if they do make a backup QB change.

This might be the year to draft one in the 5th-7th Rounds to develop. Seems like there are a lot out there.
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2024, 12:16 PM)jj22 Wrote: I think given Burrow's injury "history", we are really going to have to have a legit backup option. We can't rely on Burrow remaining healthy and that changes the outlook on the backup qb plan.

This is unfortunately true. With that said I do NOT consider Joe Burrow “fragile” at all. However, until the pass protection gets better, Joe is going to get hit a lot.
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2024, 11:14 PM)Synric Wrote: I've been a big critic but I mean his fundamentals are really good. Going forward its vision processing and anticipation for Browning which means reps.

My thoughts too. He is very good at re-establishing his feet after being on the move. His arm angles on free rushers is fantastic. He generally moves well in the pocket, and does great when he has to run. He needs to get better at pre and post snap reads, and seeing everything once the play is in motion. He's a pretty good player, with a chance to improve and get better.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(01-08-2024, 12:49 PM)WychesWarrior Wrote: My thoughts too. He is very good at re-establishing his feet after being on the move. His arm angles on free rushers is fantastic. He generally moves well in the pocket, and does great when he has to run. He needs to get better at pre and post snap reads, and seeing everything once the play is in motion. He's a pretty good player, with a chance to improve and get better.

…and if a team ever decides to take Jake Browning, design an offensive playbook around his abilities you mention, and give his team an entire training camp to internalize the playbook, they will be very competitive.
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2024, 11:18 AM)Synric Wrote: I feel like the Falcons already have the exact same guy as Browning in Tyler Heinicke.

Fair, they might be pretty comparable.
But Heinicke's cap hit is $9 mill for 2024 with only $2 mill in dead cap.
Heinicke also only had a 54% completion for 890 yards and 5:4 TD:INT in 5 games (4 starts).

Think they'll keep Heinicke given that?
I don't think I would.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-08-2024, 02:20 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Fair, they might be pretty comparable.
But Heinicke's cap hit is $9 mill for 2024 with only $2 mill in dead cap.
Heinicke also only had a 54% completion for 890 yards and 5:4 TD:INT in 5 games (4 starts).

Think they'll keep Heinicke given that?
I don't think I would.

Yes of course they will keep Heinicke as the backup. The cap hit means nothing since most of the guaranteed money is paid. They will keep him as either a very cheap bridge or as a veteran backup if they get a shot at a QB in the top 10.

Reply/Quote
Every team needs a solid backup quarterback and I don't think that Burrow is injury prone, but he has been injured a lot so far because of our bad lines and bad luck.

It's a strong quarterback class at the top but weak after, so I don't see any team really offering enough to make it worth it to us to trade him.

If a QB-needy team at the top sees a prospect they'd rather have than a quarterback, I can see them maybe offering something worthwhile to get him as a stop-gap until they can maybe draft a guy next year of the year after if Browning doesn't pan out.

If that happens, maybe trade him for a draft pick (or if someone is stupid enough to offer us a good lineman) and/or add language like "if he starts so many games, our draft pick moves from a fourth or fifth rounder to a third," or so the same thing but with stats, or combine the two.

I also like Jake's confidence, but he also has to look at it from a professional standpoint and think "if I do go somewhere else and fail, will I be able to find as good of a job as a backup as I had with the Bengals?"

Life's short in the NFL so they need security.

I love his confidence and I don't blame him for making this statement, but it's a hard no for me unless we get a very good deal.
Reply/Quote