Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
James Laurinaitis
(02-20-2016, 11:39 AM)BengalChris Wrote: Hum, he's had more than 100 tackles every year in the league and was drafted the same year as Rey Maualuga. Maualuga has only had 100 tackles once.

In 7 years, Maualuga has had 557 tackles, 4 total sacks, 6 INTs and 19 passes defended.

In 7 years, Laurinaitis has had 852 tackles, 16.5 sacks, 10 INTs and 34 passes defended.

Depending on health he could be an upgrade at the MLB spot.

Neither Laurinaitis or Maualuga are going to play for that many more years. But, from NFL games logs, Laurinaitis has started all 16 games in every one of his 7 years.

Stahp with the tackle stats. 

From PFF:
"James Laurinaitis ranked 59/60 at ILB for us this year, & his highest rank since 2011 is 29th. The list of reasons for this is very long..."

"If you think the #Rams made a mistake by cutting him yesterday, you put way too much stock into the NFL's tackle stats."

Yes he like Vinnie Rey gets a lot of tackles, but that's not indicative of good LB play.

Let's break this down.
based on 2015 stats.
Snap count / (total tackles + sacks + PD + INT + FF) 

Rey M was involved in 1 in 7 plays.

Laurinitis was involved in 1 in 10 plays.

He just played a lot more snaps. 

VRey is 1 in 7.

Vontaze Burfict is 1 in 5

Yes Laurinitis played a lot of snaps. No they weren't exactly quality snaps. 

Luke Kuechly is 1 in 5 (he's actually under 5 but rounding to whole numbers etc)
Danny Trevathan is 1 in 5

So I was wrong, he actually isn't really any better than Vincent or Rey 
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2016, 12:12 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Stahp with the tackle stats. 

From PFF:
"James Laurinaitis ranked 59/60 at ILB for us this year, & his highest rank since 2011 is 29th. The list of reasons for this is very long..."

"If you think the #Rams made a mistake by cutting him yesterday, you put way too much stock into the NFL's tackle stats."

Yes he like Vinnie Rey gets a lot of tackles, but that's not indicative of good LB play.

Let's break this down.
based on 2015 stats.
Snap count / (total tackles + sacks + PD + INT + FF) 

Rey M was involved in 1 in 7 plays.

Laurinitis was involved in 1 in 10 plays.

He just played a lot more snaps. 

VRey is 1 in 7.

Vontaze Burfict is 1 in 5

Yes Laurinitis played a lot of snaps. No they weren't exactly quality snaps. 

Luke Kuechly is 1 in 5 (he's actually under 5 but rounding to whole numbers etc)
Danny Trevathan is 1 in 5

So I was wrong, he actually isn't really any better than Vincent or Rey 

Well, maybe. At a decent contract adding Laurinaitis could help us. I really think all the talk about Trevathan being offered anything by the Bengals is a bunch of hot air. We never go after top young guys in free agency. We rarely get past the bargain bin when shopping.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(02-20-2016, 12:53 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Well, maybe. At a decent contract adding Laurinaitis could help us. I really think all the talk about Trevathan being offered anything by the Bengals is a bunch of hot air. We never go after top young guys in free agency. We rarely get past the bargain bin when shopping.

Sure but that wasn't the point. 

And what would he help us with? What exactly, is he better than Rey M or V Rey?
He's really just more well known. 
Reply/Quote
Yes all day. I'd give him a two year deal.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2016, 01:21 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Sure but that wasn't the point. 

And what would he help us with? What exactly, is he better than Rey M or V Rey?
He's really just more well known. 

The guy plays basically every down and doesn't miss any games and has good stats. Now we can nit-pick those stats into some other stat, but the guy is a producer. And the Rams were in salary cap trouble so they unloaded 3 of their top 10 contracts.

Reply/Quote
(02-20-2016, 02:37 PM)BengalChris Wrote: The guy plays basically every down and doesn't miss any games and has good stats. Now we can nit-pick those stats into some other stat, but the guy is a producer. And the Rams were in salary cap trouble so they unloaded 3 of their top 10 contracts.

So you don't want to look at the actual quality of player but if you know their name. Got it. Sounds good.

And FYI I literally just showed you he is the opposite of a producer. 
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2016, 11:34 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Pretty positive you're talking about someone entirely different, Sunset.

James Laurinaitis has started every single game of his career. So I am not sure who you're talking about at all here, Sunset. I even posted his defensive snap counts for the last 4 years. 99.7%, 99.0%, 99.0%, and 100%... you pretty much can't get any healthier or realistically play much more than that.

(02-20-2016, 02:17 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Sunset must be thinking of the other Ram that got released (Chris Long). 

(02-20-2016, 03:07 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Must be. I was just confused enough by his reply that I had to double check my post to make sure *I* wasn't the one getting things mixed up. Lol

You're right, I was thinking of another player.  Apologies. 

Leonard Leap, your plan of 3/21M doesn't sound bad, at all.  I've done some more reading, and I like what I read about what his former DC had to say about him.  His football I.Q. and leadership abilities would fit in well with the Bengals.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2016, 04:45 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: You're right, I was thinking of another player.  Apologies. 

Leonard Leap, your plan of 3/21M doesn't sound bad, at all.  I've done some more reading, and I like what I read about what his former DC had to say about him.  His football I.Q. and leadership abilities would fit in well with the Bengals.

We do love adding FA LB who are in decline.
You aren't a real LB until you do a victory lap on the end of your career with the Bengals.
Reply/Quote
I was all over this when I saw that he had bene released.

I'm an Oho State guy, and I think he'd be great to bring home.

Clearing cap space or not, the Rams seem stupid to me for releasing these three.

He's only a year older than Maualuga, and his presence on the field just seems like the strong figure on the D that we need in the backing core.

My question is where would we put him?  SAM and move AJ to WILL while Burfict serves his suspension?  Do we put him at SAM and just cut AJ?  Or are we finally ready to cut ties with Maualuga?

I think he'd be great for us and be that intimidating force on our defense that we need.
Reply/Quote
With Burfict out 3 games, I think it's a good idea. And he'd be an upgrade from AJ Hawk.
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2016, 06:00 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: We do love adding FA LB who are in decline.
You aren't a real LB until you do a victory lap on the end of your career with the Bengals.

LMAO

Dhani Jones, Manny Lawson, Thomas Howard, James Harrison, AJ Hawk....

jeez, when you look at it we just need to stop mucking around and seriously invest a top draft pick on a LB. I mean we got production out of of most of those guys but its gonna catch up with us at some point.

Can you imagine where we would be if we had not got lucky with Burfict?
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2016, 07:24 PM)sonofstat Wrote: LMAO

Dhani Jones, Manny Lawson, Thomas Howard, James Harrison, AJ Hawk....

jeez, when you look at it we just need to stop mucking around and seriously invest a top draft pick on a LB. I mean we got production out of of most of those guys but its gonna catch up with us at some point.

Can you imagine where we would be if we had not got lucky with Burfict?

I don't think posting a laugh icon with Dhani Jones name makes a lot of sense. In many ways he may be the most productive free agent we have signed. It goes beyond pure physicality - Jones when he was out there was the QB of the defense. When he was setting the defense all of a sudden the issues we had with constantly getting skunked by misdirection, draws and the like vanished.

Getting us a true "mike" LB would be big. Lauranitis is a more than serviceable true "mike".  It would let us add in a draft pick or two to start transforming our LB corps into a strength area.
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2016, 07:04 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: I was all over this when I saw that he had bene released.

I'm an Oho State guy, and I think he'd be great to bring home.

Clearing cap space or not, the Rams seem stupid to me for releasing these three.

He's only a year older than Maualuga, and his presence on the field just seems like the strong figure on the D that we need in the backing core.

My question is where would we put him?  SAM and move AJ to WILL while Burfict serves his suspension?  Do we put him at SAM and just cut AJ?  Or are we finally ready to cut ties with Maualuga?

I think he'd be great for us and be that intimidating force on our defense that we need.

(02-20-2016, 07:49 PM)Joelist Wrote: I don't think posting a laugh icon with Dhani Jones name makes a lot of sense. In many ways he may be the most productive free agent we have signed. It goes beyond pure physicality - Jones when he was out there was the QB of the defense. When he was setting the defense all of a sudden the issues we had with constantly getting skunked by misdirection, draws and the like vanished.

Getting us a true "mike" LB would be big. Lauranitis is a more than serviceable true "mike".  It would let us add in a draft pick or two to start transforming our LB corps into a strength area.

Have either of you actually watched him play or are you just going off the tackle stats and OSU/reputation
Reply/Quote
We need speed, youth, and guys that can cover. Does Laurinatis fit that criteria?
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
I just want a Bengals Lauranitis jersey..........oooooooooooo what a rush!
Reply/Quote
Well, if they picked up Chris Long at least we'd have another analyst on our side....
Reply/Quote
I lump those that dismiss tackles as a statistic for a LB into the same category that dismiss INTs as a statistic for CB.

Dude was always on the field at STL; of course his impact per play is going to be lower than a LB that is only on the field in situations that suits them. JL can play and is better than what we currently have in the middle.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(02-20-2016, 11:51 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I lump those that dismiss tackles as a statistic for a LB into the same category that dismiss INTs as a statistic for CB.

Dude was always on the field at STL; of course his impact per play is going to be lower than a LB that is only on the field in situations that suits them. JL can play and is better than what we currently have in the middle.

Kind of like how it took Dunlap 5 years to beat his rookie sack number?

Or how when Maualuga played the vast majority of the snaps in the middle, he was the worst linebacker in football? It wasn't until he started playing only 30-50% that he went back into acceptable play?

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2016, 11:51 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I lump those that dismiss tackles as a statistic for a LB into the same category that dismiss INTs as a statistic for CB.

No one is dismissing them. It's about adding context.

Raw tackle stats are stupid and pointless. 
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2016, 11:58 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Kind of like how it took Dunlap 5 years to beat his rookie sack number?

Or how when Maualuga played the vast majority of the snaps in the middle, he was the worst linebacker in football? It wasn't until he started playing only 30-50% that he went back into acceptable play?

The sheer irony of this statement while endorsing Laurinitis is astounding. 
Reply/Quote