Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
James Laurinaitis
(02-21-2016, 11:08 AM)milksheikh Wrote: I don't think he will command more than $5m a year..

He may want to go to a winning team and well.. we are one.. and we... NEED LBers.

We need outside backer way more than inside backer, I would prefer to see what happens with Jones first and our safeties before we start handing out contracts to a area like MLB that is not a great need for our team especially when you look at what we did against the run in the middle of our defense last year.

I also believe he will want a 3 year contract of at least 15 million
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2016, 01:01 AM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Even more than replacing Gilberry, I'd love him as a Hunt replacement as an actual DE and use him similarly to how AZ used Freeney. Bring him in on pass rush downs and let him turn it loose. 

Exactly.

(02-21-2016, 01:12 AM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Especially since you don't even have to be good at football 

But but...he's good at...

[Image: 070915_1407.jpg]
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2016, 01:50 AM)bfine32 Wrote: PFF says a lot of things if you read them long enough:

[Image: QfzWZyAq_bigger.jpg]Pro Football Focus@PFF

James Laurinaitis was the best tackler at inside linebacker in 2014, missing only one of every 27.2 tackle attempts.

[Image: CKJbUecUsAAsi88.jpg]

So you went back 2 seasons to find a positive quote about the guy, great. 

Nice picture but a shiny picture doesn't really add much to the conversation.
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2016, 01:51 PM)BobJones4980 Wrote: So you went back 2 seasons to find a positive quote about the guy, great. 

So Laurinaitus is 100% done because he had 1 down season (according to PFF)? I'm kind of indifferent on signing him, but at least be fair.

Many players have bounced back after a down year.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2016, 02:41 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: So Laurinaitus is 100% done because he had 1 down season (according to PFF)? I'm kind of indifferent on signing him, but at least be fair.

He's been getting progressively worse

If everyone wants to use PFF clips for this, it should be noted that since 2011 his highest PFF rating got him 29th on the ILB list. 
He's 59/60 

The not missing his tackles is great. I'm a fan of that stat. But when paired with the numbers I provided (snap count/impact) and the general decline of his play...it's alarming. He doesn't really provide much of an upgrade anywhere. And even if he did, it's minimal at best. 

Let's look to get decisively better. This thread is really a monument to the level of complacency and mediocre level of expectations this organization has beaten us into accepting. 
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2016, 02:41 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: So Laurinaitus is 100% done because he had 1 down season (according to PFF)? I'm kind of indifferent on signing him, but at least be fair.

Nope never said he was 100% done, I just pointed out he was one of the worst in 2015 and as others have posted that he has been on a steady decline for a bit now. Maybe he could have a bounce back year but quite honestly I just don't think he is the type of LB we need since we already have quite a few similar guys on the roster.

I think 90% of the people pushing for Laurinaitis are doing so mainly because of name, maybe some for the OSU connection but either way I just don't think he is the type of guy we need right now nor do I think he would be much of an upgrade over the guys we have.

Also this seems to be a "what have you done for me lately" type of league so I was pointing out going back 2 seasons to find a quote that fits what your trying to push is pointless and quite honestly just shows how bad he was this year that he had to go back that far.
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2016, 01:51 PM)BobJones4980 Wrote: So you went back 2 seasons to find a positive quote about the guy, great. 

Went back one season, you know the last season PFF didn't direct their attention to weekly FF. We just finished 2015. But, yeah, old news
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(02-21-2016, 03:20 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Went back one season, you know the last season PFF didn't direct their attention to weekly FF. We just finished 2015. But, yeah, old news

Quote:James Laurinaitis was the best tackler at inside linebacker in 2014

Going back one season would be going back to the season we just finished, you went back two. Two seasons ago he had that best tackler from PFF. 2015 has come and gone, that's one season then 2014 would be going back two.

Quite honestly it is old news, do you really want to spend money on a guy that could bounce back from a bad 2015 season? I'm all for going after LB in Free agency but lets get a LB that can do a more than the guys we currently have on roster by a large margin rather than a guy that may or may not provide a small upgrade. 

I know we don't do much in Free Agency but if we don't go after a bigger signing than Laurinaitis then lets just save the money for bringing our own back and extending upcoming FA's and find a LB in the draft instead of signing a LB that will be 30 this season and just had a bad year. 
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2016, 04:47 PM)BobJones4980 Wrote: Going back one season would be going back to the season we just finished, you went back two. Two seasons ago he had that best tackler from PFF. 2015 has come and gone, that's one season then 2014 would be going back two.

Quite honestly it is old news, do you really want to spend money on a guy that could bounce back from a bad 2015 season? I'm all for going after LB in Free agency but lets get a LB that can do a more than the guys we currently have on roster by a large margin rather than a guy that may or may not provide a small upgrade. 

I know we don't do much in Free Agency but if we don't go after a bigger signing than Laurinaitis then lets just save the money for bringing our own back and extending upcoming FA's and find a LB in the draft instead of signing a LB that will be 30 this season and just had a bad year. 

I haven't stated whether or not I would go after Baby Animal.  Merely gave food for thought for all those proclaiming he is garbage.  It's up to you if youu want to consider stats from 2014 "old news". 

Reply/Quote
(02-21-2016, 05:59 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I haven't stated whether or not I would go after Baby Animal.  Merely gave food for thought for all those proclaiming he is garbage.  It's up to you if youu want to consider stats from 2014 "old news". 

"What have you done for me lately?" 

The point of my previous post was the fact you claimed that if you looked hard enough you could find anything you wanted, I am simply stating that information from the previous season is more relevant that anything from the 2014 season. 
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2016, 07:03 PM)BobJones4980 Wrote: "What have you done for me lately?" 

The point of my previous post was the fact you claimed that if you looked hard enough you could find anything you wanted, I am simply stating that information from the previous season is more relevant that anything from the 2014 season. 

Next week, Jordy Nelson gets cut.  He didn't play a snap in 2015.  Is his 2014 and before performance a bunch of "what have you done for me lately?" when considering whether he's a good pickup at this point?

Be fair.

That said, JL's not an upgrade enough to take seriously.
Reply/Quote
Something to consider that I haven't seen mentioned yet was how terrible that offense was until Gurley got going around week 7. Basically that defense was on the field ALL of the time! That will inflate some stats and deflate others. Face it when you're wtf out by the third quarter it makes for a long day on Sunday no matter who you are.
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2016, 07:43 PM)TGISunday Wrote: Next week, Jordy Nelson gets cut.  He didn't play a snap in 2015.  Is his 2014 and before performance a bunch of "what have you done for me lately?" when considering whether he's a good pickup at this point?

Be fair.

That said, JL's not an upgrade enough to take seriously.

What is with this board and "be fair"? Twice I've heard that in this thread, one from you for using a players most recent season and someone else for saying he has been on a decline and had a bad year. Seems crazy that its unfair to judge a player by his most recent season when thinking about signing him. 

As for Jordy Nelson : 

What is unfair about judging a player by his most recent body of work? Laurinaitis played in 2015 so his most relevant body of work is 2015. Jordy Nelson did not play in 2015 so his most recent body of work is 2014. How is it not fair to judge a player by his latest body of work? 

These situations aren't comparable, one played the full season and another missed the entire season. 
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2016, 08:49 PM)BobJones4980 Wrote: What is with this board and "be fair"? Twice I've heard that in this thread, one from you for using a players most recent season and someone else for saying he has been on a decline and had a bad year. Seems crazy that its unfair to judge a player by his most recent season when thinking about signing him. 

As for Jordy Nelson : 

What is unfair about judging a player by his most recent body of work? Laurinaitis played in 2015 so his most relevant body of work is 2015. Jordy Nelson did not play in 2015 so his most recent body of work is 2014. How is it not fair to judge a player by his latest body of work? 

These situations aren't comparable, one played the full season and another missed the entire season. 

Ok.  Player coming off a down year.  Would you have been hesitant to keep Geno Atkins after 2014 if we were in a tough spot cap wise, and it behooved us to move on in 2015?

Like bfine noted, guy had a fringe pro bowl year not long ago.  It's totally valid to discuss.  Did I mention I think we should pass on him? Doesn't mean I'm gonna tell anyone they're crazy if they're looking at players to potentially add to a shaky linebacker room.
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2016, 12:42 AM)TGISunday Wrote: Ok.  Player coming off a down year.  Would you have been hesitant to keep Geno Atkins after 2014 if we were in a tough spot cap wise, and it behooved us to move on in 2015?

Like bfine noted, guy had a fringe pro bowl year not long ago.  It's totally valid to discuss.  Did I mention I think we should pass on him? Doesn't mean I'm gonna tell anyone they're crazy if they're looking at players to potentially add to a shaky linebacker room.

I get what your saying but these situations you bring up consist of injuries or returning from injuries while Laurinaitis seems to have been on a decline while playing every game, which really showed in 2015. 

Sure anybody can have a bounce back year but when we're looking at a LB that would seem to be on a decline and will be 30 this season you have to assess if with all that considered it is worth taking that risk on that small chance he might bounce back.

You say its valid to have the discussion which is exactly what I thought we were doing. Pointing out that information is dated and more recent data shows something else is a perfectly valid part of this discussion. If you for some reason think I am being unfair by pointing this out then I don't know what to tell you.
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2016, 02:22 AM)BobJones4980 Wrote: Sure anybody can have a bounce back year but when we're looking at a LB that would seem to be on a decline and will be 30 this season you have to assess if with all that considered it is worth taking that risk on that small chance he might bounce back.

James Laurinaitus will be 29 until the final game of the 2016 regular season, but use the "will be 30" stance if you think it helps, but don't nitpick stats others introduce. 

Reply/Quote
(02-22-2016, 02:28 AM)bfine32 Wrote: James Laurinaitus will be 29 until the final game of the 2016 regular season, but use the "will be 30" stance if you think it helps, but don't nitpick stats others introduce. 

So I'm technically right, the best kind of right.

You clearly don't want to have a discussion, as usual you pick apart a piece of my post that quite honestly has no impact on the discussion. The guy has been average for the last couple years and pretty awful in 2015 but you go ahead and ignore any discussion and nitpick about me only being technically correct.

I guess next time I won't nitpick you not realizing what year it is.
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2016, 02:41 AM)BobJones4980 Wrote: So I'm technically right, the best kind of right.

You clearly don't want to have a discussion, as usual you pick apart a piece of my post that quite honestly has no impact on the discussion. The guy has been average for the last couple years and pretty awful in 2015 but you go ahead and ignore any discussion and nitpick about me only being technically correct.

I guess next time I won't nitpick you not realizing what year it is.

Mention he has been quite average the last couple years despite PFF (a source you used) giving him the highest tackling grade in the last couple years. So do you want to point to the last couple years or just last year? 

Nitpick away..

Reply/Quote
(02-22-2016, 02:53 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Mention he has been quite average the last couple years despite PFF (a source you used) giving him the highest tackling grade in the last couple years. So do you want to point to the last couple years or just last year? 

Nitpick away..

And his overall grade was down.
He made tackles when/if he got to them.

But he wasn't making nearly as many as he should. He wasn't as big of an impact. 

You are literally nitpicking one part of one stat to make a point instead of trying to have a broader discussion about his overall play and productivity 
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2016, 02:55 AM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: And his overall grade was down.
He made tackles when/if he got to them.

But he wasn't making nearly as many as he should. He wasn't as big of an impact. 

You are literally nitpicking one part of one stat to make a point instead of trying to have a broader discussion about his overall play and productivity 

His productivity has been great.

Sorta like the Maualuga PFF ratings I've pointed to the last few years.  They go up the less he is on the field. JL is an upgrade to what we have in the middle. Do I want to sign him? Most likely not, I'm looking toward Mason Foster. I just choose not to trash a MLB that NEVER leaves the field. 

Reply/Quote