Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
James Laurinaitis
(02-20-2016, 11:51 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I lump those that dismiss tackles as a statistic for a LB into the same category that dismiss INTs as a statistic for CB.

Dude was always on the field at STL; of course his impact per play is going to be lower than a LB that is only on the field in situations that suits them. JL can play and is better than what we currently have in the middle.

Honestly they should be lumped into the same category. Mainly because both stats don't tell the whole story.

I mean at CB if a guy has 5 interceptions on the year but gets burnt countless times on other plays then should we be singing his praises?

Also on Laurinaitis : 

"Laurinaitis has been playing poorly all season, but yesterday was easily his worst game. Against the run, he was effectively useless—at times looking like he was afraid to even go near the play. If a blocker got even a hand on him, that was it. He had just two defensive stops, which is not a lot." -PFF

So basically why spend cap money on a guy who would be maybe be a marginal upgrade on a guy we already have and will likely pay less than a Laurinaitis contract.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I'm much more interested in Chris Long. Even if Laurinaitus would be an upgrade, I don't see him being a MAJOR upgrade.

I think Long has some left in the tank, especially if he's used in a rotation. Gilberry is coming off 2 straight disappointing seasons, so it'd be nice to see an upgrade there.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2016, 12:24 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I'm much more interested in Chris Long. Even if Laurinaitus would be an upgrade, I don't see him being a MAJOR upgrade.

I think Long has some left in the tank, especially if he's used in a rotation. Gilberry is coming off 2 straight disappointing seasons, so it'd be nice to see an upgrade there.

Even more than replacing Gilberry, I'd love him as a Hunt replacement as an actual DE and use him similarly to how AZ used Freeney. Bring him in on pass rush downs and let him turn it loose. 

Give Hardison or Williams the inside rushes. Get Long on the edge
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2016, 10:49 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Have either of you actually watched him play or are you just going off the tackle stats and OSU/reputation

I haven't even looked at stats and the OSU thing only comes into play because that's one of the only reasons I watched Rams games.

Watch his game films and see that he has amazing instincts, always takes the right angles, and has the abilities to make tackles and plays.

That's one reason why I like him more in the middle and why I questioned about where we'd put him.
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2016, 12:05 AM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: The sheer irony of this statement while endorsing Laurinitis is astounding. 

It's not because I think Laruinitis would be great, but he's probably the best the Bengals would ever sign in FA.

I've long come to terms that they aren't going to get anyone really good.

Even Antonio Bryant wasn't good. Guy was coming off a 600 yard season when he signed with the Bengals. (For as much as people mentioned that contract, they often fail to mention that the contract didn't wreck the Bengals or anything, cutting him was a one year, $5.8m cap hit)

So rather than seriously saying "Oh, they should sign both Danny Travathan and RFA Brandon Marshall." I just say it's a dream and then more realistically say things like "Well, Laurinitis is a Buckeye, next year will be his age 29 season, he was cut so he doesn't count against compensatory pick (because god forbid we lose a 5th round compensatory pick in order to improve the team), and he wouldn't suck as much as the guy we have right now. So lets do this, it's at least a plausible Bengals move."

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2016, 01:01 AM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Even more than replacing Gilberry, I'd love him as a Hunt replacement as an actual DE and use him similarly to how AZ used Freeney. Bring him in on pass rush downs and let him turn it loose. 

Give Hardison or Williams the inside rushes. Get Long on the edge

Fun facts. Margus Hunt in his first three years has been paid....

$230,458 per tackle
or
$395,071 per solo tackle
or
$1,843,664 per sack

Don't you wish you could be 6'8"?

Reply/Quote
(02-21-2016, 01:11 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Fun facts. Margus Hunt in his first three years has been paid....

$230,458 per tackle
or
$395,071 per solo tackle
or
$1,843,664 per sack

Don't you wish you could be 6'8"?

Especially since you don't even have to be good at football 
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2016, 01:12 AM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Especially since you don't even have to be good at football 

Pretty much.

Last year Margus Hunt made $738,736 for 1 solo tackle and 1 tackle assist.

Reply/Quote
(02-20-2016, 10:49 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Have either of you actually watched him play or are you just going off the tackle stats and OSU/reputation

Man, you really are quite knowledgeable when it comes to football but your shameless dislike/hate for Ohio State knows no bounds. 
Once again I agree with you on many things but when it comes to OSU and the NFL talent that they produce you choose to stay indignant.
Burfict suspended for the first three, Vinny probably stays but the team would be failing if they didn't at least do there due diligence and take a look at all solid vet LB's available.
Wts, I agree with you about Long.
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2016, 01:16 AM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: Man, you really are quite knowledgeable when it comes to football but your shameless dislike/hate for Ohio State knows no bounds. 
Once again I agree with you on many things but when it comes to OSU and the NFL talent that they produce you choose to stay indignant.
Burfict suspended for the first three, Vinny probably stays but the team would be failing if they didn't at least do there due diligence and take a look at all solid vet LB's available.
Wts, I agree with you about Long.

Hahahaha
Considering you once tried to imply I raped girls and got beyond pissed I didn't like Barrett Jones, you have no room to discuss hate without bounds....it has nothing to do with Ohio State. 
When the guy in the post proclaims his OSU fanhood, it's fair to question his motive. 
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2016, 01:15 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Pretty much.

He's almost 30 lol
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2016, 12:17 AM)BobJones4980 Wrote: Also on Laurinaitis : 

"Laurinaitis has been playing poorly all season, but yesterday was easily his worst game. Against the run, he was effectively useless—at times looking like he was afraid to even go near the play. If a blocker got even a hand on him, that was it. He had just two defensive stops, which is not a lot." -PFF

PFF says a lot of things if you read them long enough:

[Image: QfzWZyAq_bigger.jpg]Pro Football Focus@PFF

James Laurinaitis was the best tackler at inside linebacker in 2014, missing only one of every 27.2 tackle attempts.

[Image: CKJbUecUsAAsi88.jpg]
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(02-21-2016, 01:04 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: It's not because I think Laruinitis would be great, but he's probably the best the Bengals would ever sign in FA.

I've long come to terms that they aren't going to get anyone really good.

Even Antonio Bryant wasn't good. Guy was coming off a 600 yard season when he signed with the Bengals. (For as much as people mentioned that contract, they often fail to mention that the contract didn't wreck the Bengals or anything, cutting him was a one year, $5.8m cap hit)

So rather than seriously saying "Oh, they should sign both Danny Travathan and RFA Brandon Marshall." I just say it's a dream and then more realistically say things like "Well, Laurinitis is a Buckeye, next year will be his age 29 season, he was cut so he doesn't count against compensatory pick (because god forbid we lose a 5th round compensatory pick in order to improve the team), and he wouldn't suck as much as the guy we have right now. So lets do this, it's at least a plausible Bengals move."

Laurinaitis is exactly the kind of FA the Bengals would pursue and look to sign for the reasons you've already mentioned and the fact that he should be pretty affordable.
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2016, 01:37 AM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Hahahaha
Considering you once tried to imply I raped girls and got beyond pissed I didn't like Barrett Jones, you have no room to discuss hate without bounds....it has nothing to do with Ohio State. 
When the guy in the post proclaims his OSU fanhood, it's fair to question his motive. 

Dude, I never implied that you raped girls. I think maybe you perceived the comment wrong. If I did I truly apologize but I remember what you are talking about and I don't think I was trying to imply that you were a rapist.
As for Jones thus far you have been correct about him. I'm not sure that having to earn money in the NFL is that big of a deal for him. I had heard that he comes from a fairly wealthy family already.
Wts, we all are wrong at times. You certainly have been at times as well.
I'm just saying that in my 7 or 8 years on the board you have been a consistent Buckeye basher.
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2016, 02:04 AM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: Dude, I never implied that you raped girls. I think maybe you perceived the comment wrong. If I did I truly apologize but I remember what you are talking about and I don't think I was trying to imply that you were a rapist.
As for Jones thus far you have been correct about him. I'm not sure that having to earn money in the NFL is that big of a deal for him. I had heard that he comes from a fairly wealthy family already.
Wts, we all are wrong at times. You certainly have been at times as well.
I'm just saying that in my 7 or 8 years on the board you have been a consistent Buckeye basher.

I am not a consistent Buckeye basher, if I were I wouldn't have wanted Corey Linsley, Reid Fragel, John Hankins, Ryan Shazier....I was also a fan of Laurinitis' when he first came out of OSU.

Just because I don't like a few guys or think it's funny how OSU fans get MEGA defensive on here (case and point) doesn't make me a Buckeye basher.

And I never said I was never wrong, but you took it way too far when I said I didn't like Barrett. You based most of your argument on a once off meeting with him. Cool?

Considering your comments were along the lines of me having to get girls drunk and passed out to have sex, yeah dude, I don't think there's really a middle ground there. 
Reply/Quote
I would pass, not worth the salary he would be asking.. already 5th highest paid Inside Backer.. he is not going to come here on some cut rate deal and limited in what he can play for us.. we have bigger needs than a MLB if we are going to jump into FA.
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2016, 02:24 AM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: I am not a consistent Buckeye basher, if I were I wouldn't have wanted Corey Linsley, Reid Fragel, John Hankins, Ryan Shazier....I was also a fan of Laurinitis' when he first came out of OSU.

Just because I don't like a few guys or think it's funny how OSU fans get MEGA defensive on here (case and point) doesn't make me a Buckeye basher.

And I never said I was never wrong, but you took it way too far when I said I didn't like Barrett. You based most of your argument on a once off meeting with him. Cool?

Considering your comments were along the lines of me having to get girls drunk and passed out to have sex, yeah dude, I don't think there's really a middle ground there. 
 That's weak and it takes two to tango. You're not exactly all clouds and pillows when you got your buzz on and are in devils advocate argument mode. No worries.
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2016, 02:25 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: I would pass, not worth the salary he would be asking.. already 5th highest paid Inside Backer.. he is not going to come here on some cut rate deal and limited in what he can play for us.. we have bigger needs than a MLB if we are going to jump into FA.

I don't think he will command more than $5m a year..

He may want to go to a winning team and well.. we are one.. and we... NEED LBers.
Former Contributor for StripeHype

CEO/Founder of CUE Sports Media

Reply/Quote
(02-21-2016, 01:15 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Pretty much.

Yeah... Total waste. Proving once again that just because you are big and strong doesn't mean you are a football player. Sorry Margus. 
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2016, 01:39 AM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: He's almost 30 lol

Right!? I'm almost 40 And I guarantee I could put up those numbers for that amount of cash....Hey Marvin, call me. For that salary I can get you 3 tackles. You're welcome.
Reply/Quote