Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
James Wright - Released - Burfict to PuP - a few other moves
What are you guys talking about. Have you been paying attention? I wouldn't call the "tea leaves" I've been reading all that positive when it comes to Moore. Hobs even referenced him in the article linked.

He still has some believers so I'll leave it alone until we see for ourselves. Deal?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(07-28-2015, 08:34 PM)jj22 Wrote: What are you guys talking about. Have you been paying attention? I wouldn't call the "tea leaves" hasn't been reading all that positive when it comes to Moore. Have I missed something?! He still has some believers so I'll leave it alone until we see for ourselves. Deal?

I haven't...  Enlighten me.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
There will be guys on cut down days, but that's a way off from now. Kind of a shame about Wright, but they have to waive him to get him to the dl probably by some archaic rule written by Nute Rockney..
At any rate I don't get the hate for Tate at least as a punt returner. As a WR I get it, but we've had far worse. Tate is pretty reliable to at least catch the damned ball and not fumble it. Of course I said that exact same thing last year minutes before he uhhh..fumbled..
On second thought forget all about the above. .
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
This is precisely why I wanted Devin Smith in the draft. They could have slid, got him, and STILL got two good tackles. Damn. One more WR goes down and it is 2014 all over again.
Reply/Quote
(07-28-2015, 11:41 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: This is precisely why I wanted Devin Smith in the draft.  They could have slid, got him, and STILL got two good tackles.  Damn.  One more WR goes down and it is 2014 all over again.

What do you mean by "slid"?
Reply/Quote
Wright caught 5 passes last year. I can't believe how many people thought he was going to be something special.
Reply/Quote
Meh. Don't really see how this hurts us besides on special teams. I prefer Moore over Wright anyway. Moore gives us speed, something we lacked in the playoff game.
Reply/Quote
Tate's ticket to making the team is punched again.
Reply/Quote
(07-29-2015, 01:22 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Wright caught 5 passes last year.  I can't believe how many people thought he was going to be something special.

I remember some guy telling me that it's crazy to judge a player based on their rookie season alone.

Do you have any recollection of who that was?
Reply/Quote
(07-29-2015, 08:26 AM)djs7685 Wrote: I remember some guy telling me that it's crazy to judge a player based on their rookie season alone.

Was anyone even thinking he'd be special or just a contributor?

He showed some skills and was turning into a valuable ST player. 
Reply/Quote
(07-29-2015, 08:56 AM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Was anyone even thinking he'd be special or just a contributor?

He showed some skills and was turning into a valuable ST player. 

There were some guys on the old board wetting their pants over him, but which of our players hasn't gone through that with a small portion of the fanbase? You could realistically make Fred's comment with literally any player that has ever played for this team because there's ALWAYS at least a couple of huge fanboys of each player on the boards.

Most people saw him as a solid ST player and maybe even a 3/4 WR of the future. Maybe "special" if you considered special to be making the 53 for at least a few years, but I don't remember even his biggest fans projecting him as a perennial All-Pro or even a first stringer for that matter.
Reply/Quote
I didn't have any "big" hopes for Wright. But he was a prospect we hadn't confirmed was a bum unlike our other wideouts on the depth chart. So if we were looking for a surprise contributor he could have been that one. What I do know is we found out last season we don't have any wideout depth, and nothing has changed this season, but better health. Even if folks still have high hopes for Moore (they have clearly been ignoring all the warnings of disappointment in the free agent pick up).

We should have drafted a wideout high anyway given our top 3 (and only wideouts if you listen to Hobs) are free agents next offseason. Back to back historic wideout classes and we didn't get anyone.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(07-29-2015, 09:09 AM)djs7685 Wrote: There were some guys on the old board wetting their pants over him, but which of our players hasn't gone through that with a small portion of the fanbase? You could realistically make Fred's comment with literally any player that has ever played for this team because there's ALWAYS at least a couple of huge fanboys of each player on the boards.

Most people saw him as a solid ST player and maybe even a 3/4 WR of the future. Maybe "special" if you considered special to be making the 53 for at least a few years, but I don't remember even his biggest fans projecting him as a perennial All-Pro or even a first stringer for that matter.

He's a good ST player who has upside at WR...but I guess that's going crazy over him now.

He did have a knack for drawing a DPI calls it seemed. 

I was looking forward to Wright, Shaw, Smith and Williams on ST. Gunner city. 
Reply/Quote
(07-28-2015, 04:46 PM)jj22 Wrote: We are in def need of receiving help. Shouldn't have double dipped in the draft at OT. Hopefully the big 3 stay healthy and produce to their potential.

Never Fear it looks like Little help is on the way. (sigh)
Reply/Quote
(07-28-2015, 11:41 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: This is precisely why I wanted Devin Smith in the draft. They could have slid, got him, and STILL got two good tackles. Damn. One more WR goes down and it is 2014 all over again.

Wait you wanted to Draft a Top WR when we have AJ Jones and eifert this season?

When would the rookie get snaps and whos sitting on the bench?

Bengals draft was good. Hopefully they go after some decent vet help for a 1 season rental If the bengals can work out deals with AJ Jones and possibly sanu or moore then the top 3 for next year is already set too.
Reply/Quote
(07-29-2015, 01:17 AM)fredtoast Wrote: What do you mean by "slid"?

Traded back.  Sorry.  There were supposedly a number of teams that wanted #21 from the Bengals
Reply/Quote
(07-29-2015, 01:22 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Wright caught 5 passes last year.  I can't believe how many people thought he was going to be something special.

I think it was just that he showed great special teams play and looked really good in limited action when he got his shot.  His performance, albeit a very small sample size, showed great hands and athleticism.  I don't think people are calling for his jersey to be retired, but it isn't hard to like a guy that puts his team first (how he handled losing his spot in college and became a leader on special teams).
Reply/Quote
(07-29-2015, 10:03 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: Wait you wanted to Draft a Top WR when we have AJ Jones and eifert this season?

When would the rookie get snaps and whos sitting on the bench?

Bengals draft was good.  Hopefully they go after some decent vet help for a 1 season rental  If the bengals can work out deals with AJ Jones and possibly sanu  or moore then the top 3 for next year is already set too.

Yes, I did want to draft a Top WR.  Marvin Jones is coming off TWO serious injuries.  So is Eifert.  If both are healthy and play the entire season, AWESOME!  Said rookie could be developed over the course of the season.  If Eifert went down, and you are left with two rookie TEs, I would think you would see a lot more 3 WR sets, where said rookie could be an impact.  Devin Smith routinely torched people when all they really had to do was not let him get behind them.  I sure as hell think he could have been a bigger impact than a OT that isn't likely to play the entire season. 

I agree most of the draft was a very good one for the Bengals but I was very disappointed to not come away with a speedy WR. I know a lot of teams were offering the Bengals to slide down in the first round. The Bengals could have gotten an additional 2nd rounder, potentially, and still got a WR and OT.
Reply/Quote
(07-29-2015, 08:26 AM)djs7685 Wrote: I remember some guy telling me that it's crazy to judge a player based on their rookie season alone.

That was me.

I was referring to players who showed some ability in college but had not lived up to it in the the NFL.

Wright had a total of 25 catches in 4 years at LSU with zero in his senior season.
Reply/Quote
(07-29-2015, 11:05 AM)fredtoast Wrote: That was me.

I was referring to players who showed some ability in college but had not lived up to it in the the NFL.

Wright had a total of 25 catches in 4 years at LSU with zero in his senior season.

Elaborate....it wasn't because:
A.) They had Jeremy Hill at RB (along with others who would make it to the NFL)
B.) Odell Beckham Jr 
C.) Jarvis Landry
D.) Cam Cameron sucks

Look at the talent on that LSU offense....look at the out put...Cameron is an idiot. 
Reply/Quote