Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
James Wright - Released - Burfict to PuP - a few other moves
(07-29-2015, 11:04 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Yes, I did want to draft a Top WR.  Marvin Jones is coming off TWO serious injuries.  So is Eifert.  If both are healthy and play the entire season, AWESOME!  Said rookie could be developed over the course of the season.  If Eifert went down, and you are left with two rookie TEs, I would think you would see a lot more 3 WR sets, where said rookie could be an impact.  Devin Smith routinely torched people when all they really had to do was not let him get behind them.  I sure as hell think he could have been a bigger impact than a OT that isn't likely to play the entire season. 

Decent or better WRs have been coming out of the draft more NFL ready than ever at a fairly rapid rate. I don't know if you can say the same about OTs.

I wasn't the biggest fan of taking a guy that may not take a snap with our #1 pick and then another OT with the next pick when the draft happened, but it definitely made some amount of sense. When you have Andre Smith with a contract running out this year and Whitworth not getting any younger, now is the time to start developing some top rated linemen.

Whenever they NEED another weapon for the offense, they can take one in the first 3 rounds and have a good chance of hitting at least an okay contributor. Andy has A.J., Jones, Sanu, Moore, Eifert, Kroft, Bernard, and Hill on offense. There's no way an NFL team stacks up high round WRs just because one of their guys may happen to have a freak accident again. With your logic, we should have looked at a QB in the first round, because hey, Andy could fall down a flight of stairs tomorrow and be out for the year! Jones and Eifert aren't "injury prone" guys with the same issues coming up over and over. Both of them suffered injuries from completely random incidents.
Reply/Quote
(07-29-2015, 11:05 AM)fredtoast Wrote: That was me.

I was referring to players who showed some ability in college but had not lived up to it in the the NFL.

Wright had a total of 25 catches in 4 years at LSU with zero in his senior season.

Sure, but I still don't think many people except a couple of extremists were expecting anything huge from Wright.

Most people are bummed because we lost a good ST player that was likely headed into a bigger role this year (only played 40% of ST snaps last year) and a potential #4 receiver if necessary.

Losing Wright obviously isn't as big of a deal as losing a starting QB, but I don't think anyone believes our season is lost because of this, aka not many thought he was going to be a "special player" this year. Hopefully this isn't just the beginning of season ending injuries piling up again. Fingers crossed.
Reply/Quote
(07-29-2015, 11:08 AM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Elaborate....it wasn't because:
A.) They had Jeremy Hill at RB (along with others who would make it to the NFL)
B.) Odell Beckham Jr 
C.) Jarvis Landry
D.) Cam Cameron sucks

Look at the talent on that LSU offense....look at the out put...Cameron is an idiot. 

Look at the fact that 15 different players caught at least one pass for the '13 LSU Tigers and Wright did not.
Reply/Quote
(07-29-2015, 11:14 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Look at the fact that 15 different players caught at least one pass for the '13 LSU Tigers and Wright did not.

And most of them also playing in the NFL. 
He was stuck behind two incredibly gifted players. 

Your ability to dismiss a guy yet get your panties in such a bunch when criticism is laid on another is astounding. fred-logic.
Reply/Quote
I know it will never happen, but Denver is gasping for Oline help. We could trade Andre Smith for Emanuel Sanders.
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-29-2015, 12:26 PM)Shady Wrote: I know it will never happen, but Denver is gasping for Oline help. We could trade Andre Smith for Emanuel Sanders.
Wright is not a starter so I don't think it's that big of a loss to do a trade like that. Now if Green, Jones, or Sanu get hurt then I would consider a trade like that.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(07-29-2015, 12:07 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: And most of them also playing in the NFL. 
He was stuck behind two incredibly gifted players. 

Your ability to dismiss a guy yet get your panties in such a bunch when criticism is laid on another is astounding. fred-logic.

No where have I been calling for Wright to be released.  When so many people bitched and moaned about him being a wasted draft pick I said we should wait and see.  I was never dismissive of him.

All I am saying is that he did nothing in college or the NFL to even hint that he could be a good receiver.  He was a good special teams player, but I don't see any reason to see his release as a big loss to the receiving corps.  I don't care mow much talent LSU had on their roster, a guy who would make a good NFL WR should have at least been a back up that caught a couple of passes his senior season.
Reply/Quote
(07-29-2015, 12:32 PM)J24 Wrote: Wright is not a starter so I don't think it's that big of a loss to do a trade like that. Now if Green, Jones, or Sanu get hurt then I would consider a trade like that.

Why not consider it now? Smith will likely be replaced by one of our two rookies by years end (if not sooner). Might as well get some quality in return for a guy we are gonna let walk after this season.
Reply/Quote
(07-29-2015, 12:50 PM)c12schleyer Wrote: Why not consider it now? Smith will likely be replaced by one of our two rookies by years end (if not sooner). Might as well get some quality in return for a guy we are gonna let walk after this season.

Because Dre is a starter and we have no idea if we have anyone qualified to fill his role this year.

No need to trade a proven starter just to replace a back up.
Reply/Quote
(07-29-2015, 11:14 AM)djs7685 Wrote: Sure, but I still don't think many people except a couple of extremists were expecting anything huge from Wright.

Most people are bummed because we lost a good ST player that was likely headed into a bigger role this year (only played 40% of ST snaps last year) and a potential #4 receiver if necessary.

Losing Wright obviously isn't as big of a deal as losing a starting QB, but I don't think anyone believes our season is lost because of this, aka not many thought he was going to be a "special player" this year. Hopefully this isn't just the beginning of season ending injuries piling up again. Fingers crossed.

I agree with your overall point - and especially that he had the potential to be a better quality #4 receiver than what we have on the roster after Sanu.   Depth is the key issue here.
Reply/Quote
(07-29-2015, 12:54 PM)3wt Wrote: I agree with your overall point - and especially that he had the potential to be a better quality #4 receiver than what we have on the roster after Sanu.   Depth is the key issue here.

I like Denarius Moore more than I like Wright...
Reply/Quote
(07-29-2015, 12:32 PM)J24 Wrote: Wright is not a starter so I don't think it's that big of a loss to do a trade like that. Now if Green, Jones, or Sanu get hurt then I would consider a trade like that.

I see your point, but a #4 WR gets plenty of playing time. Plus, Sanders was Peyton's go-to-guy on 3rd down last year in Denver. I think he'd displace Sanu if not MLJ on the depth chart. In other words, he'd upgrade the WR position group, not just replace a backup with potential.

Still, I might as well wish for a night with Megan Fox. It's not happening.  Sad
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
(07-29-2015, 12:26 PM)Shady Wrote: I know it will never happen, but Denver is gasping for Oline help. We could trade Andre Smith for Emanuel Sanders.

if that happened it probly be after we were sure fisher was ready

More Burkhead in a WR role maybe?
Reply/Quote
Just out of curiosity, why do they have to cut Wright and put him through waivers before they can put him on IR?
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(07-29-2015, 01:45 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Just out of curiosity, why do they have to cut Wright and put him through waivers before they can put him on IR?

to clear a spot on the roster a player with under 3 or 4 years (I cant remember) has to clear waivers before being put on the IR...
Reply/Quote
(07-29-2015, 01:48 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: to clear a spot on the roster a player with under 3 or 4 years (I cant remember) has to clear waivers before being put on the IR...

So if someone like Jeremy Hill were to receive a season ending injury you would have to hold a spot for him or risk losing him on waivers?
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
They have to sign a veteran WR. We can't depend on Jones being healthy and Sanu is just not enough.
Reply/Quote
(07-29-2015, 01:51 PM)michaelsean Wrote: So if someone like Jeremy Hill were to receive a season ending injury you would have to hold a spot for him or risk losing him on waivers?

I will explain as well as I understand it.

We can place a player directly on IR (no waivers); however, if we do we owe his complete Salary and it counts against the Cap. So a player of Hill's caliber that is what we would do.

We can also waive a player. If anyone wants to claim him they can however, they assume his salary and cap number. If no one claims him we can re-sign him at a reduced rate or negotiate a settlement.

As Zerker said. After a player has been in the league for a certain amount of years they don’t have to go through the waiver process. We either IR or reach a settlement.

That will be $5.00
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(07-29-2015, 11:10 AM)djs7685 Wrote: Decent or better WRs have been coming out of the draft more NFL ready than ever at a fairly rapid rate. I don't know if you can say the same about OTs.

I wasn't the biggest fan of taking a guy that may not take a snap with our #1 pick and then another OT with the next pick when the draft happened, but it definitely made some amount of sense. When you have Andre Smith with a contract running out this year and Whitworth not getting any younger, now is the time to start developing some top rated linemen.

Whenever they NEED another weapon for the offense, they can take one in the first 3 rounds and have a good chance of hitting at least an okay contributor. Andy has A.J., Jones, Sanu, Moore, Eifert, Kroft, Bernard, and Hill on offense. There's no way an NFL team stacks up high round WRs just because one of their guys may happen to have a freak accident again. With your logic, we should have looked at a QB in the first round, because hey, Andy could fall down a flight of stairs tomorrow and be out for the year! Jones and Eifert aren't "injury prone" guys with the same issues coming up over and over. Both of them suffered injuries from completely random incidents.

Please elaborate on the "high round WRs" the Bengals would be stacking upon. 

And Dalton has a capable backup that the Bengals like in McCarron. 

If you read my post, I wasn't saying they shouldn't have taken a tackle, but taking two when you had a glaring need that could help create synergy for the entire offense and you make both selections that will be assuredly backups at best this season didn't make any sense. 

If you watched last season and didn't grasp that nearly ALL of the Bengal's WRs have difficulty generating separation against quality CBs, then that is a you problem.   The roster was bolstered with a FA WR that hasn't done a thing in years and a seventh round selection. 

Again, sliding to the top of round 2 could have possibly yielded a second 2nd round selection as well, allowing the Bengals to get the WR, the OT, and another BPA instead of two OTs that will likely not see much action this season. 
Reply/Quote
*Meanwhile at Brandon Tate's house*

[Image: cerrano.png]

"THANK YOU JOBU!"
Reply/Quote