Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jay Tufele, Max Scharping, and Devin Asiasi
I love it.

I didn't expect to get excited after cutdown day. But damn! We did a hell of a job grabbing good young talent with NFL experience and potential at positions that were in need of reinforcements.

We wanted a pass rushing DT and got one. The Jags now only have 2 DL listed over 300lbs on their 53 man roster.

We wanted experienced G depth. Got it. The Texans now only have 9 OL.

We were weak at TE. Got one. The Patriots now only have 2 TE.

It's possible we threw a wrench into the plans of three different teams.
Reply/Quote
I too am a fan of these moves. Tufele beat Sewell for a sack in college and was a pretty well regarded prospect. Asiasi might be a good fit for the block, block, block, slip out on a vertical route role that Uzomah did so well at last year. If Scharping can be that serviceable guard who can come off the bench to provide baseline pass protection, that could be HUGE. 
Reply/Quote
Picking up guys at DT and G with some NFL experience and at least a bit of success eases my mind about depth at those positions a lot.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
So...decent pickups. But, none of these guys will move the needle.
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2022, 06:55 AM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote: I too am a fan of these moves. Tufele beat Sewell for a sack in college and was a pretty well regarded prospect. Asiasi might be a good fit for the block, block, block, slip out on a vertical route role that Uzomah did so well at last year. If Scharping can be that serviceable guard who can come off the bench to provide baseline pass protection, that could be HUGE. 

The highlights from Asiasi remind me of a smaller but  quicker Jermaine Gresham
 I watched Tufele play as I am a USC fan over here in LA and at the time that dude was a beast for the D
not sure what happened in Jax?  
Reply/Quote
Asiasi caught 2 passes in 2 years for the Patriots who use TE's a lot. Gresham caught 52 balls as a rookie.

IF Asiasi were a featured TE, I'm sure he'd catch more balls than 2...but he's not Gresham.
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2022, 11:35 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Asiasi caught 2 passes in 2 years for the Patriots who use TE's a lot. Gresham caught 52 balls as a rookie.

IF Asiasi were a featured TE, I'm sure he'd catch more balls than 2...but he's not Gresham.

These guys will hopefully just be role players that could make a splash play here and there. That’s what I’m expecting. If the bengals are winning, any positive contributions from these guys will be enhanced.
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2022, 11:35 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Asiasi caught 2 passes in 2 years for the Patriots who use TE's a lot. Gresham caught 52 balls as a rookie.

He played with a broken cam newton at QB in a rocky rookie year. Which is par for the course for most rookie TEs. Then got stuck behind two high priced free agent additions Jonnu Smith and Hunter Henry in his second year.

Bill Belichick while not the best drafter. Is usually pretty good at identifying TE talent. And he traded up to get Asiasi.
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2022, 01:16 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: He played with a broken cam newton at QB in a rocky rookie year. Which is par for the course for most rookie TEs. Then got stuck behind two high priced free agent additions Jonnu Smith and Hunter Henry in his second year.

Bill Belichick while not the best drafter. Is usually pretty good at identifying TE talent. And he traded up to get Asiasi.

Then waived him.
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2022, 01:26 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Then waived him.

And also signed Chad Johnson, and didn’t play him!  Yeah…BB has made his fair share of mistakes with personnel.
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2022, 11:08 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: So...decent pickups. But, none of these guys will move the needle.

Don’t expect them to.  These guys are strictly depth signings.  

My theory is that’s the exact reason Howard didn’t sign with the Bengals.  Taylor told him he was going to be a back up, and not a starter.  Houston will make him a starter.  But, Houston is a really bad team, too.
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2022, 11:08 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: So...decent pickups. But, none of these guys will move the needle.

And that's a good thing.  If we picked up any cut players that were then passed over by 29 other teams and yet they were high impact guys for us would reveal a very weak roster or at the least glaring holes.

Reply/Quote
(09-02-2022, 01:42 PM)Graphicguy Wrote: And also signed Chad Johnson, and didn’t play him!  Yeah…BB has made his fair share of mistakes with personnel.

If I recall correctly, it was a scheme/playbook thing.

Look...I'm all for pickups, but some overrate the value we'll get from these guys. It's very rare that any of these pickups develop into anything more than a backup.

And the argument is absurd. Basically that BB is good at evaluating TEs because he drafted this guy. But then bad at evaluating TEs for waiving him. It's laughable.

Just like people were excited for Howard. Now it's this guy.
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2022, 02:14 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: If I recall correctly, it was a scheme/playbook thing.

Look...I'm all for pickups, but some overrate the value we'll get from these guys. It's very rare that any of these pickups develop into anything more than a backup.

And the argument is absurd. Basically that BB is good at evaluating TEs because he drafted this guy. But then bad at evaluating TEs for waiving him. It's laughable.

Just like people were excited for Howard. Now it's this guy.

No disagreement. Howard or any other TE brought in at this juncture is not going to be a major, or maybe even minor contributors to this team. They’ll play if someone else goes down with an injury. And, there will be a steep fall off in talent as a result.

I don’t care where Howard was drafted. Fact is, after his injury, he was never the same. Not a knock on the guy, just a fact.

Houston is a terrible team. He’ll get more of an opportunity with them as a result. He certainly wasn’t going to get starting reps here, as he will there.

I peruse Browns and Steelers boards every once in a while.

Steelers fans act like Trubisky is just what they needed. Or, Picket, who was drafted in one of the worst QB drafts in recent memory, is the new savior just because the Steelers took him.

Browns fans are even worse. Brissett is their “guy”. Jacoby has never done anything of note, is keeping the seat warm and the team in the hunt until Watson finally shows up. They act like Watson is going to show up and be the same guy he was 2-3 years ago. He’s barely played.

Whew…got off on a tangent there.
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2022, 11:35 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Asiasi caught 2 passes in 2 years for the Patriots who use TE's a lot. Gresham caught 52 balls as a rookie.

Ever since our 1st super bowl, our TE position has been lackluster. CJ was a squirt of coolness, but that is gone now. We are back to our traditional repertoire of TEs. Ninja
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2022, 11:58 AM)Bengalitis Wrote: Ever since our 1st super bowl, our TE position has been lackluster. CJ was a squirt of coolness, but that is gone now. We are back to our traditional repertoire of TEs. Ninja

If you said 2nd SB I would concur, but Rodney Holman was NOT lackluster in any dimension of his game.
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2022, 02:34 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: I love it.

I didn't expect to get excited after cutdown day. But damn! We did a hell of a job grabbing good young talent with NFL experience and potential at positions that were in need of reinforcements.

We wanted a pass rushing DT and got one. The Jags now only have 2 DL listed over 300lbs on their 53 man roster.

We wanted experienced G depth. Got it. The Texans now only have 9 OL.

We were weak at TE. Got one. The Patriots now only have 2 TE.

It's possible we threw a wrench into the plans of three different teams.

I do like these additions big time. Especially Tufele and Scharping who were mid round picks that are good NFL players.

Also heard Asiasi was a top prospect from a poster that watched him before he transferred to UCLA so he has potential.

It was a good way of stocking up the trenches. Something this coaching staff does NOT ignore.

These coaches know how games are won.
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2022, 01:16 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: He played with a broken cam newton at QB in a rocky rookie year. Which is par for the course for most rookie TEs. Then got stuck behind two high priced free agent additions Jonnu Smith and Hunter Henry in his second year.

Spot on! BB knows how to spot a a good TE when he sees one. He was low man on the totem pole after they signed Henry and Smith. BB was probably trying to sneak him through just like the other three teams were doing. I read that the Texans were bummed about losing Scharping. My guess is Jags were not very happy either. None of these guys are studs but all three can be contributors.  
Reply/Quote
Getting the lineman and the DE is huge. We were thin at both positions.
-Housh
Reply/Quote

if we are thinking that  multiple waiver wire pick-ups after cut day is going to move the needle we are in trouble, what this shows is we don;t have the  holes we have had in the past.. it is a bit unrealistic to think a team is  going to have top end quality starters across on 5 positions of the Oline, i think Scharping has shown he can play in the NFL and has a good chance of starting early in season. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote