Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jeff Hafley Declines Bengals D Coordinator Job
Bengals asked Friday Feb 15th to interview Ohio State Jeff Hafley, and he said NO.....It just keeps getting worse. People are not jumping at the chance to work for Mike Brown. It's not Zac Taylor here less than 2 weeks. It is Mike Brown. If worse comes to worse, there are always the Cincy Wee Pee Football Leagues to search for a Defensive Coordinator.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2019, 04:25 AM)kevin Wrote: Bengals asked Friday Feb 15th to interview Ohio State Jeff Hafley, and he said NO.....It just keeps getting worse. People are not jumping at the chance to work for Mike Brown. It's not Zac Taylor here less than 2 weeks. It is Mike Brown. If worse comes to worse, there are always the Cincy Wee Pee Football Leagues to search for a Defensive Coordinator.

Marvin never had any problems landing coaches, so blaming it on Mike Brown seems like bs to me.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(02-16-2019, 05:44 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Marvin never had any problems landing coaches, so blaming it on Mike Brown seems like bs to me.

Not only that, but Mike Brown is not going to cease to be the owner because people can't stop complaining about him..... 
Reply/Quote
I don't know what is so hard to understand about the guy not wanting to break the commitment he just made to his new job slightly more than a month ago!
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
Hafley has just started with OSU. Urban always asked for a two year commitment from the guys he hired, I’d imagine Jeff gave a similar type of agreement with Day. And didn’t want to leave his new job before he even coaches a game. Kingsbury left USC in a sucky situation (although I get it for a much better job). I think Hafley wasn’t about to do that especially for a DC job. Doubt it was about the Bengals. Some guys hold themselves to higher standards. Those are the ones you want but can’t always get
Reply/Quote
A few more rejections and the defense may be so mad that Burfict will return to form!
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2019, 11:26 AM)McC Wrote: I don't know what is so hard to understand about the guy not wanting to break the commitment he just made to his new job slightly more than a month ago!

Yeah, that would be a bad move.

Reply/Quote
Requesting to interview Hafley just reeks of "drawing at straws" and "throwing darts while wearing a blindfold". The guy just accepted his position at OSU, and is likely really looking forward to making his name there.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2019, 11:30 AM)leonardfan40 Wrote: Hafley has just started with OSU. Urban always asked for a two year commitment from the guys he hired, I’d imagine Jeff gave a similar type of agreement with Day. And didn’t want to leave his new job before he even coaches a game. Kingsbury left USC in a sucky situation (although I get it for a much better job). I think Hafley wasn’t about to do that especially for a DC job. Doubt it was about the Bengals. Some guys hold themselves to higher standards. Those are the ones you want but can’t always get

That is exactly how it’s been reported. He is a man of integrity and I’m sure the Bengals respect that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bengals football, hot dogs, apple pie and Chevrolet.
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2019, 11:26 AM)McC Wrote: I don't know what is so hard to understand about the guy not wanting to break the commitment he just made to his new job slightly more than a month ago!

Bill Bellyache bailing on the Jets set the standard for calculated success via blatant breaking of commitments in my book. 
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2019, 11:31 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Requesting to interview Hafley just reeks of "drawing at straws" and "throwing darts while wearing a blindfold".  The guy just accepted his position at OSU, and is likely really looking forward to making his name there.

I agree with that!

If anything, we're targeting the wrong guys.

Yeah...like the Saints DC is going to leave for us? Then we try to steal OSU's DC. As a large percentage of the fanbase are OSU fans...that's just a bad move.

Another thing I don't like is some of the guys we interviewed are 4-3 guys. Others are 3-4 guys.

What is the plan on system? Or is it to just hire a coach then figure out a system? There should be analysis of the roster to see which our guys fit better.
Reply/Quote
If they are looking to the college ranks, a couple of names that might be worth looking at Mike Tressel of Michigan St., and Kevin Steele of Auburn. Steele has NFL experience, he was the LBs coach under Dom Capers for the Panthers. Steele also has HC experience, a short run at Baylor, but he seems to be successful on the defensive side of the ball.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
who dey think gonna work for dem bengals nnooooooo body

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2019, 11:42 AM)Phil in BG Wrote: That is exactly how it’s been reported. He is a man of integrity and I’m sure the Bengals respect that.

So why would the Bengals even request an interview a guy who was on the job less than a month?
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2019, 11:49 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: So why would the Bengals even request an interview a guy who was on the job less than a month?

Fair point. My point was though that when he gave that reason they understood.

Bengals football, hot dogs, apple pie and Chevrolet.
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2019, 11:53 AM)Phil in BG Wrote: Fair point. My point was though that when he gave that reason they understood.

I get it. It just feels like they're starting to get desperate at this point.

I feel like the historically bad stretches of defense we played this past year really hurt us.
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2019, 05:44 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Marvin never had any problems landing coaches, so blaming it on Mike Brown seems like bs to me.

100% this.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
My new theory--the Bengals are going after guys in reverse order, getting all the guys they were lukewarm on out of the way first and working their way up to the guy they hire, who will be the guy they most wanted after all. It's a brilliant strategy. This is how they're outfoxing all the internet "experts" and "insiders."
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(02-16-2019, 11:56 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: 100% this.

Did the team honestly think that they were going to find anyone better than Jack Del Rio??  

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2019, 11:58 AM)McC Wrote: My new theory--the Bengals are going after guys in reverse order, getting all the guys they were lukewarm on out of the way first and working their way up to the guy they hire, who will be the guy they most wanted after all.  It's a brilliant strategy.  This is how they're outfoxing all the internet "experts" and "insiders."

The circumstantial evidence seems to agree with your theory!

So we'll be bringing Bill Parcells in as our new DC any day now.
Reply/Quote