Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Jefferson to Bengals rumors
(03-13-2024, 12:10 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Harrison Jr could be a bust, or even if he's not a bust he could just be DeVonta Smith. Good but not special. We know Jefferson is an undisputed top-3 WR in the NFL.

If I am going to give up Tee and two 1st round picks for a WR either one way or the other and I have to choose one, I would rather have Jefferson and his OPOY and career 1,671 yards per 17 games.

Jefferson would instantly become the best WR the Bengals have ever had.

and he could be the second coming of Marvin Harrison
Reply/Quote
pro football talk is reporting on it now so there is some traction to this
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2024, 12:31 PM)depthchart Wrote: That's fine and then Pay JJ a likely New Record Contract that Chase and his Agent look at to justify what they 

want the Bengals to pay Chase. (That JJ Money can go to other areas of the Team)

Will JJ average 1,671 yards per 17 games with Jamar Chase also on the field to be targeted ? (maybe / maybe not)

Marvin Harrison JR  6 foot 4  205 pounds

Devonta Smith 6 foot and 1/4  170 pounds at his Combine

*I like Marvin's chances of being better than Devonta but that's just how I see it. JJ is a more sure thing but his Price is steep.

Okay, but if Harrison Jr is any good (not guaranteed) are you giving up Tee and two 1sts just to trade him after 3 years? Because after 3 years he'll want an extension too, anyway.

Why did you bring up physical measurements comparison when I said "good but not special", so talking about production? 

If this was OUR 4th round pick, sure. But if you're going to give up Tee and two 1sts either way, take the guaranteed player.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2024, 12:33 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: and he could be the second coming of Marvin Harrison

Even if he is (the odds are greatly stacked against that) that's almost certainly still worse than Jefferson.

Hard to understate how insane Jefferson's start to his career has been.

Reply/Quote
(03-13-2024, 12:48 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Even if he is (the odds are greatly stacked against that) that's almost certainly still worse than Jefferson.

Hard to understate how insane Jefferson's start to his career has been.

no one is arguing that... But When you have a Joe burrow you dont need to invest 60 mil into 2 WRs
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2024, 12:45 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Okay, but if Harrison Jr is any good (not guaranteed) are you giving up Tee and two 1sts just to trade him after 3 years? Because after 3 years he'll want an extension too, anyway.

Why did you bring up physical measurements comparison when I said "good but not special", so talking about production? 

If this was OUR 4th round pick, sure. But if you're going to give up Tee and two 1sts either way, take the guaranteed player.

"take the guaranteed player" and PAY him possibly Record BIG Dollars right away.

If you are ok with paying JJ now, why would you not be ok with paying Marvin later if he becomes very good ?

-or-

You could Trade Marvin later (get whatever years out of him on the Cheap by comparison) and also get a pick or picks back

-or-

Pay Marvin later while Trading the then older Chase to get a pick or picks back
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2024, 12:51 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: no one is arguing that... But When you have a Joe burrow you dont need to invest 60 mil into 2 WRs

If you look at my earliest entry into this thread, which is the start of the replies, I entered the conversation on the stipulation that you HAVE to trade Tee and two 1sts no matter what and these are your two options.

I've been about as vocal as you possibly can be about not paying two WRs large money while having a very highly paid QB... but I put that aside as a stipulation to enter this hypothetical conversation where you only have two choices.

Reply/Quote
It's gotten out of control now that the national media is picking up on it. Maybe both Minny has called the Bengals FO to see what is up and where this has started, and then maybe... just maybe... started talking about any potential trade.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2024, 01:00 PM)depthchart Wrote: "take the guaranteed player" and PAY him possibly Record BIG Dollars right away.

If you are ok with paying JJ now, why would you not be ok with paying Marvin later if he becomes very good ?

-or-

You could Trade Marvin later (get whatever years out of him on the Cheap by comparison) and also get a pick or picks back

-or-

Pay Marvin later while Trading the then older Chase to get a pick or picks back

None of those "ors" include a scenario where Harrison Jr is a bust. This is the draft we're talking about. 

Or a scenario where he's just okay, but now we've spent Tee and 2 firsts on him that we'll never be able to recoup anywhere near the value of, he's meh for 4 years and doesn't really move the needle towards a Super Bowl, and then we let him walk (or find ourselves in another Tee situation).

We should get a 2nd for Tee. If I am spending two 1sts and a 2nd on a player, I want them guaranteed to be great. There's no way to guarantee that for anyone in the draft.

Reply/Quote
(03-13-2024, 01:09 PM)jj22 Wrote: It's gotten out of control now that the national media is picking up on it. Maybe both Minny has called the Bengals FO to see what is up and where this has started, and then maybe... just maybe... started talking about any potential trade.

Eifert made a joke based on the Bengals Superbowl odds
Reply/Quote
Vikings not trading Jefferson story: https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10112842-justin-jefferson-trade-rumors-vikings-have-no-plans-to-deal-wr-amid-cousins-exit
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2024, 01:12 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Eifert made a joke based on the Bengals Superbowl odds

It started before Eifert, based on Chase and the Bengals feed (neither really seemed like it had anything to do with JJ) and it's grown from there. A lot of media personalities jumped in which typically doesn't happen when it comes to fan trolling or dreaming of FA signings and trades. So it's been an interesting development as far as why it has gone on so long and why so many people that wouldn't associate their name to foolish social media talk have.

I still think it's nothing, but it has made national sports news. 

Speaking it into existence 101. Great job by Bengals fans trying.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2024, 12:33 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: pro football talk is reporting on it now so there is some traction to this

I went to google "bengals jungle noise" to get here and after typing "bengals j" it came up with the first choice as "Bengals Justin Jefferson." How quickly rumors move through cyberspace.
Reply/Quote
Here is refernce of a great WR being traded recently.

Note, no players involved and they got 5 picks, only 1st round pick.

Dolphins receive

Tyreek Hill
Chiefs receive

2022 1st-round pick
2022 2nd-round pick
2022 4th-round pick
2023 4th-round pick
2023 6th-round pick

I don't see us getting Jefferson, but I think Tee and 2 1st round picks would be paying way too much.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2024, 01:10 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: None of those "ors" include a scenario where Harrison Jr is a bust. This is the draft we're talking about. 

Or a scenario where he's just okay, but now we've spent Tee and 2 firsts on him that we'll never be able to recoup anywhere near the value of, he's meh for 4 years and doesn't really move the needle towards a Super Bowl, and then we let him walk (or find ourselves in another Tee situation).

We should get a 2nd for Tee. If I am spending two 1sts and a 2nd on a player, I want them guaranteed to be great. There's no way to guarantee that for anyone in the draft.

And you are assuming that JJ's Past success means that there is ZERO percent chance that any RISK may come

with getting him.   Does JJ remain fairly injury free ? (either he or Marvin can have injury issues)

Will it really be Kumbaya and harmony in the Bengals Culture with both Chase & JJ here longer term ?

Will Contract negotiations with BOTH JJ & Chase go smoothly so that they actually do stay together ?

Will JJ MAINTAIN his average yardage totals (or could they possibly DECLINE with Chase also on the field for targets ?

*You would go one way and I would go the other.

I will say that your way could go better and you should be able to say that my way could go better.
Reply/Quote
If this were to happen Joe would put up ridiculous numbers next year until defensive coordinators adjust.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2024, 01:38 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: If this were to happen Joe would put up ridiculous numbers next year until defensive coordinators adjust.

Pretty sure coordinators would start trying to adjust now but I don't think there's much they could do because Burrow's so good, especially with Chase and JJ.

Their only hope would be a pass rush to get to Burrow but Burrow took us to one Super Bowl and an AFCC game with shitty lines, so I think it would pretty much be game over.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2024, 02:24 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Pretty sure coordinators would start trying to adjust now but I don't think there's much they could do because Burrow's so good, especially with Chase and JJ.

Their only hope would be a pass rush to get to Burrow but Burrow took us to one Super Bowl and an AFCC game with shitty lines, so I think it would pretty much be game over.

you simply attack our Weak spot... The OL
Reply/Quote
I don’t care if this has no chance. I now want it.
-The only bengals fan that has never set foot in Cincinnati 1-15-22
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2024, 03:14 PM)basballguy Wrote: I don’t care if this has no chance.  I now want it.

We would be Guaranteed a MEDIA CIRCUS with the chance of maybe a Super Bowl Win as a cherry on top.   Attitude
Reply/Quote