Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jemele Hill & ESPN
Why does espn continue to keep getting political.

Stay in your lane.

This just reinforces why we need channels to just come out and say whether they are political one way or the other. Just be up front about it..... I stopped watching espn years ago. Even before chink in the armor guy was fired.
(09-13-2017, 01:59 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Except she said if you think ESPN is leaning left then it's probably because you are a racist.

'As you see more ethnic diversity, then all of a sudden ESPN is too liberal,' she said. 'So I wonder, when people say that, what they're really saying.'

I read that more as "people are using 'too liberal' as code for 'too black'", but either way, just because the OP isn't a shitty racist doesn't mean there aren't people who are. 

I also didn't think he called them "too liberal", he was just commenting on one single person.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(09-13-2017, 02:54 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: I read that more as "people are using 'too liberal' as code for 'too black'", but either way, just because the OP isn't a shitty racist doesn't mean there aren't people who are. 

I also didn't think he called them "too liberal", he was just commenting on one single person.

Reason #482 we have Trump.  People are tired of being labeled as something awful, with zero evidence to support it, because they have an opinion on something.  
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(09-13-2017, 01:58 PM)michaelsean Wrote: White supremecist may not add up to Hitler, but it's a very serious accusation.

Claiming you're better than someone else is inherently evil. It's racism, which is bad, but, it's not "I killed 6 million people" bad.

When people toss around the term "He's as bad as Hitler" then it takes away from the seriousness of when someone really is like Hitler. Assad is like Hitler. Talaat Pasha is like Hitler. Trump or Obama? They were more like Ronald Reagan. Slightly clueless, pretty harmless.
(09-13-2017, 03:13 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Reason #482 we have Trump.  People are tired of being labeled as something awful, with zero evidence to support it, because they have an opinion on something.  

All Mexicans are rapists and all Muslims are terrorists so all Trump supporters are racists so all liberals are antifa terrorists and so on

[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

(09-13-2017, 02:08 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Why does espn continue to keep getting political.  

I hate when people mix sports and politics.

Mellow
(09-13-2017, 03:13 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Reason #482 we have Trump.  People are tired of being labeled as something awful, with zero evidence to support it, because they have an opinion on something.  

"I'm not racist."

What a wonderful reason to vote for someone with no experience, thin skin, no plan and an inability to communicate.

Maybe no one was talking about them....
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(09-13-2017, 03:47 PM)GMDino Wrote: "I'm not racist."

What a wonderful reason to vote for someone with no experience, thin skin, no plan and an inability to communicate.

Maybe no one was talking about them....

No the reason is that they didn't want to vote for a person who made a living out of and supports people who throw around terms like racist every time you disagree.  

People get tired of things, and they lash out.  If nobody wants to recognize that, then it will happen again in some other form.  

This lady literally just said if you say ESPN has become too liberal, you mean too black.  You don't think that's a problem?
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(09-13-2017, 03:53 PM)michaelsean Wrote: No the reason is that they didn't want to vote for a person who made a living out of and supports people who throw around terms like racist every time you disagree.  

People get tired of things, and they lash out.  If nobody wants to recognize that, then it will happen again in some other form.

So their argument was "Everybody else is grouping another group of people together unfairly"?

Seems legit. 

(09-13-2017, 03:53 PM)michaelsean Wrote: This lady literally just said if you say ESPN has become too liberal, you mean too black.  You don't think that's a problem?

I think that's her opinion and it doesn't affect me at all.
(09-13-2017, 04:10 PM)GMDino Wrote: So their argument was "Everybody else is grouping another group of people together unfairly"?

Seems legit. 

I think that's her opinion and it doesn't affect me at all.

Opinions and statement like hers that were left unchecked did affect you, but you refused to see it.  

You bemoan this unqualified thin skinned man child, but are seemingly uninterested in what led to him being elected.

Trump says whatever he wants, why can't anyone else?
(09-13-2017, 04:47 PM)ballsofsteel Wrote: Trump says whatever he wants, why can't anyone else?

Nobody said they can't.

(09-13-2017, 04:39 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Opinions and statement like hers that were left unchecked did affect you, but you refused to see it.  

You bemoan this unqualified thin skinned man child, but are seemingly uninterested in what led to him being elected.

Please don't take my description of the reason some people voted for his as be being "uninterested".  I just think it's stupid.

Literally millions of people voted for the worse of the two candidates because their feelings were hurt.  All while they said the other side was composed of "snowflakes"?

Nothing I can do will/would change that.  

I'll share the same sentiment about those voters that I do about people in general on social media:  If I make a post about a subject and don't mention you but you think I'm talking about you...that's on you.
(09-13-2017, 04:55 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Nobody said they can't.

I beg to differ. There were sport talk show host and such blowhards as Rust Limpballs saying she shouldn't have said what she said. I believe some at espn did also.
(09-13-2017, 05:13 PM)ballsofsteel Wrote: I beg to differ. There were sport talk show host and such blowhards as Rust Limpballs saying she shouldn't have said what she said. I believe some at espn did also.

Shouldn't have and can't are two different things.  Just like when you complain about what Trump says.

(09-13-2017, 05:03 PM)GMDino Wrote: Please don't take my description of the reason some people voted for his as be being "uninterested".  I just think it's stupid.

Literally millions of people voted for the worse of the two candidates because their feelings were hurt.  All while they said the other side was composed of "snowflakes"?

Nothing I can do will/would change that.  

I'll share the same sentiment about those voters that do about people in general on social media:  If I make a post about a subject and don't mention you but you think I'm talking about you...that's on you.

Well it is about you, when someone says that if you believe some way you are a racist for example.  If you believe they way they are speaking of, then they are speaking directly to you. If someone said the only reason people are against Obamacare is because he's black, then they are speaking to everyone who was against obamacare.

(09-13-2017, 05:20 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Well it is about you, when someone says that if you believe some way you are a racist for example.  If you believe they way they are speaking of, then they are speaking directly to you.

If someone says "all racists support Trump" that does not mean everyone that supports Trump is a racist.

If a Trump supporter thinks it does they are stupid.

If they decide that that is enough reason to vote for Trump they are stupid.

Heck if it doesn't bother them that they support someone that all racists support they are stupid.

Now, there are lots of other reasons people voted for Trump too.  Some believed his snake oil about bringing coal back and caring about the real Americans who had been "forgotten".  Clearly he struck a cord with people who feel disenfranchised.  That "their America" is not the same as it was whether that is because of high tech jobs replacing blue collar or immigration or gay marriage.

And I STILL think that is stupid.

Change is part of life.

It's not the way it was...never will be.

If someone supported Trump because of he proposals to "make America great again" I'd like them to explain what the details were behind them...because we STILL don't know.

Lot's of reasons.

But "someone talked about racists and I'm not racist" is a dumb one.
(09-13-2017, 05:26 PM)GMDino Wrote: If someone says "all racists support Trump" that does not mean everyone that supports Trump is a racist.

If a Trump supporter thinks it does they are stupid.

If they decide that that is enough reason to vote for Trump they are stupid.

Heck if it doesn't bother them that they support someone that all racists support they are stupid.

Now, there are lots of other reasons people voted for Trump too.  Some believed his snake oil about bringing coal back and caring about the real Americans who had been "forgotten".  Clearly he struck a cord with people who feel disenfranchised.  That "their America" is not the same as it was whether that is because of high tech jobs replacing blue collar or immigration or gay marriage.

And I STILL think that is stupid.

Change is part of life.

It's not the way it was...never will be.

If someone supported Trump because of he proposals to "make America great again" I'd like them to explain what the details were behind them...because we STILL don't know.

Lot's of reasons.

But "someone talked about racists and I'm not racist" is a dumb one.

It's an atmosphere.  It's what you are perceiving.  we had eight years of a lot of people calling any opposition to Obama racist.  They just flat out said on any particular issue that the only reason you could object is because he's black.  I didn't say this was the only reason.  No one reason is going to get a Trump elected, but this is a pretty easy one to work on.  

(09-13-2017, 05:32 PM)michaelsean Wrote: It's an atmosphere.  It's what you are perceiving.  we had eight years of a lot of people calling any opposition to Obama racist.  They just flat out said on any particular issue that the only reason you could object is because he's black.

And I'll stick by my stance that if someone says it is racist and the person saying it isn't racist then it's wrong, but not a good enough reason to vote for Trump.

I mean if Trump was running against Obama at least they could argue that. But still they chose to vote for someone who lacks the temperament, skills and experience.

Someone told me once that everyone who was for "gay marriage" must be a closet ***. Oddly, I am not and did not think that he meant me personally.

(09-13-2017, 05:32 PM)michaelsean Wrote:  I didn't say this was the only reason.  No one reason is going to get a Trump elected, but this is a pretty easy one to work on.  

Sure, people who got butthurt because they "weren't racist" but found out the same guy they supported was supported by a lot of racists.
(09-13-2017, 05:18 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Shouldn't have and can't are two different things.  Just like when you complain about what Trump says.

Let me rephrase what I said then being your responding to it like Kellyann would.

Reality tv show star Donald Drumph insults and says whatever he wants all the time. That girl on espn just did the same. No big deal. How is that?