Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jeremy zuttah.
(08-10-2017, 08:39 AM)treee Wrote: We could always try Fisher at LT and Winston (or Andre) at right if Ob is that bad.

Fisher wasn't good last year either. Plus Winston can't be an every down guy, I think age is keeping him from being more than a part time player, and is only mediocre at best, which is sad that he might be the best option at RT for the Bengals. Andre has been on a 3-4 year downslide and was atrocious for the Vikings last year before getting hurt (and has still only started 16 games once in his career, including 21 games missed the last 3 years).

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(08-10-2017, 02:35 AM)TKUHL Wrote: Would not be surprised to hear something in the news about this guy, maybe he screwed up. May be the reason he was just let go like that just 5 months after picking him up in FA's.

It is worse than FA, 49er's traded for him. Why would we want to add a center that could not make the roster of one of the worst NFL teams the past few years?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(08-10-2017, 07:26 AM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: Our oline is garbage and everyone is fully aware of that. Going forward with this unit and not considering outside help would be idiotic, but the very Bengal thing that they are going to do.

I think it is amazing or fans think they know more than the coaches who see this guy play daily for hours. I ma not saying we should not looked into a Howard (OT) for example or it is a bad idea, but unlike most of you I trust Tobin who calls the shots on our roster, all of it, not just the OL.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(08-09-2017, 07:26 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: It would be a smart signing to help bolster this less-than-stellar OL...

[Image: award-understatement-1.jpg~320x480]
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(08-10-2017, 09:22 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I think it is amazing or fans think they know more than the coaches who see this guy play daily for hours. I ma not saying we should not looked into a Howard (OT) for example or it is a bad idea, but unlike most of you I trust Tobin who calls the shots on our roster, all of it, not just the OL.
Plus, what's the point of being all cynical when the first preseason game is literally a day away.
Reply/Quote
(08-09-2017, 11:18 PM)Joelist Wrote: Considering that Bodine is pretty widely considered either the worst or one of the worst Centers in the NFL, if he is our best lineman that would be terrifying.

Bodine actually saw pretty decent improvement last year. He graded out in PFF around an average starting center grade. He has gotten slightly better this year. There is a real possibility he could be an above average Center this year.
Reply/Quote
(08-10-2017, 09:22 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I think it is amazing or fans think they know more than the coaches who see this guy play daily for hours. I ma not saying we should not looked into a Howard (OT) for example or it is a bad idea, but unlike most of you I trust Tobin who calls the shots on our roster, all of it, not just the OL.

I think it is amazing that fans think they should blindly trust the coaches/team who haven't won a postseason game in what, 26 seasons, and haven't drafted a Pro Bowler since their first pick of the 2013 draft. But unlike you, I acknowledge that our franchise is run shittily, all of it, not just their Owner.

Reply/Quote
(08-10-2017, 09:44 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I think it is amazing that fans think they should blindly trust the coaches/team who haven't won a postseason game in what, 26 seasons, and haven't drafted a Pro Bowler since their first pick of the 2013 draft. But unlike you, I acknowledge that our franchise is run shittily, all of it, not just their Owner.

Yeah...I agree. The Bengals have shown an unwillingness to sign Tier 2 and 3 free agents in free agency. It is what it is.

Coaches aren't going to come out and say that their line is terrible...even if they believe it.

On top of being untested...our line has 3 guys that seem to be pretty injury-prone too.
Reply/Quote
(08-09-2017, 07:15 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Should be an option, but they have the HoF C Bodine, and ultimate RG Andre.

Sarcasm aside, they really should pick him up. Pro Bowl doesn't mean a ton, but he was one last year.

This
Reply/Quote
(08-10-2017, 12:20 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Yeah...I agree. The Bengals have shown an unwillingness to sign Tier 2 and 3 free agents in free agency. It is what it is.

Coaches aren't going to come out and say that their line is terrible...even if they believe it.

On top of being untested...our line has 3 guys that seem to be pretty injury-prone too.

Even if Tobin made the picks, it is widely known that Elton Alexander lobbied VERY hard for those two tackles.....and Bodine.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
I'm Sure there's More cuts coming they can sift through for left over scraps.
Reply/Quote
(08-10-2017, 09:26 AM)Au165 Wrote: Bodine actually saw pretty decent improvement last year. He graded out in PFF around an average starting center grade. He has gotten slightly better this year. There is a real possibility he could be an above average Center this year.

It's a mentality that is developed around here. Bodine struggled mightily as a rookie; a common thing for an O-lineman. He has improved to the point that he is no longer a liability at C and was often graded out as one of our best Olinemen last year. None of this matters. Folks remember the rookie year and will not forget.

I can easily see a similar phenomenon with Ced. Last year was his rookie year due to injury and he struggled mightily, as many rookie Olinemen do. If he improves to anything less than Pro Bowl caliber; he will be considered the worst LT in the league by many around here. It has already started.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(08-10-2017, 05:05 PM)bfine32 Wrote: It's a mentality that is developed around here. Bodine struggled mightily as a rookie; a common thing for an O-lineman. He has improved to the point that he is no longer a liability at C and was often graded out as one of our best Olinemen last year. None of this matters. Folks remember the rookie year and will not forget.

I can easily see a similar phenomenon with Ced. Last year was his rookie year due to injury and he struggled mightily, as many rookie Olinemen do. If he improves to anything less than Pro Bowl caliber; he will be considered the worst LT in the league by many around here. It has already started.

He has definitely improved, but was still like 26 out of 34 eligible players.  It's serviceable, but better FA options were available that could have potentially helped this team's run game immensely.  Interestingly enough, according to PFF, he has improved in run blocking enough to have brought his grade up from the worst in the league.  Still not much to say about pass pro.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(08-10-2017, 05:05 PM)bfine32 Wrote: It's a mentality that is developed around here. Bodine struggled mightily as a rookie; a common thing for an O-lineman. He has improved to the point that he is no longer a liability at C and was often graded out as one of our best Olinemen last year. None of this matters. Folks remember the rookie year and will not forget.

Pretty much.  Some make their minds up on these guys within the first 2-3 preseason games, and no matter how much they progress or regress, their opinion doesn't change.
Reply/Quote
(08-10-2017, 09:44 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I think it is amazing that fans think they should blindly trust the coaches/team who haven't won a postseason game in what, 26 seasons, and haven't drafted a Pro Bowler since their first pick of the 2013 draft. But unlike you, I acknowledge that our franchise is run shittily, all of it, not just their Owner.

But then they should trust you who knows less than them that makes a lot of sense
Reply/Quote
(08-10-2017, 09:06 AM)Au165 Wrote: Winston has been horrible this camp. If a decent vet gets cut I can see Winston getting walking papers.

Plus, i'd rather not just start moving guys around after the season starts, because the original plan didn't work. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(08-10-2017, 09:24 AM)treee Wrote: Plus, what's the point of being all cynical when the first preseason game is literally a day away.

For my part, i'd like to apologize. The last 26 seasons have had a silly effect on my brain...

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote

I'm hip. 

Reply/Quote
(08-10-2017, 10:44 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: But then they should trust you who knows less than them that makes a lot of sense

Who says fans know less than them?

Let this simmer in your noggin for a minute and then tell me how sad it truly is... ( i was actually able to figure this out when Mike Brown couldn't)

Paul Brown didn't come into the NFL to play by the well established status quo. He was an innovator. He came up with ways to give his players and teams an advantage. He strove to be the best. Easily one of the top 3 most important figures in NFL history. 

Now...in the 26 full seasons his son has been the big kahuna...he has not done one thing, not one single thing that could be considered innovative or forward-thinking. Not a single thing that other teams copy to try and better themselves. He's come to work every day, punched the clock, did his 9, punched the clock again and went home. 

Look around this forum about all the talk about practice facilities, FA philosophy, coaches coaching way too long...and then look at how teams that win championships do it. 

26 full seasons and he's done absolutely nothing to so much as even give him a single playoff win. All this following the example his father set right before his eyes.

But by all means; continue to "enjoy the regular season" with nothing beyond that. It's your right. 

And it's just as lacking as the guy who has made you do it for the last 26 years. 

Reply/Quote

Please stop this silly trend of giving everyone 2-3-4 "rookie" years. Kirkpatrick was "basically a rookie" for four years, Dennard was a rookie for three years (or is it four now? has he lost rookie status yet?), McCarron was a rookie for two years, etc, etc. Now Ogbuehi is a rookie for two years. Do any other teams give all their players 2 or 3 rookie years?

If it was actually their rookie year, they are a rookie. If it isn't, they aren't. Were they eligible to win the Rookie of the Year award? No? Then they aren't in their rookie year.

Also saying he struggled mightily is the largest understatement of how horrible Ogbuehi was. I have never seen a worse offensive tackle before, and I have watched Dennis Roland start.

(08-10-2017, 10:44 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: But then they should trust you who knows less than them that makes a lot of sense

Obviously. My NFL trophycase is just as full as Mike Brown's, I have as many postseason wins as a HC as Marvin Lewis does, and I have designed as many top-10 offenses as Ken Zampese has. Ninja

Reply/Quote