Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rennell Wren signed by Eagles
PS player DT Rennell Wren has been signed to a 2022 contract by the Eagles. Wren a 2019 4th round pick had a promising start in his rookie year only to be lost for the season with a preseason quad tear in 2020. He spent all of 2021 on the PS only playing in the season-ending Cleveland game where he injured his knee.

Jonah Williams, Drew Sample, Germaine Pratt and Trayveon Willams are the only ones left from Zac's first draft and I don't see Trayveon making the team in 2022

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
If you get 2 good starters from a draft class that has to be seen as fairly successful. So as weak as Taylor’s first draft was (particularly that 2nd round pick…) at least we got that with Jonah and Pratt.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
Best of luck to Wren in Philly. Honestly, I don't think he had much of a shot at making the 53 on this team, anyway.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-25-2022, 07:57 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Best of luck to Wren in Philly.  Honestly, I don't think he had much of a shot at making the 53 on this team, anyway.

Agreed. Haven't seen enough to be bummed about moving on. Glad to see Jordan Willis stick around and contribute in SF.

Does anybody know if losing a guy off of the PS increase the FA losses at all for ammo in the battle for compensatory picks?

I know that the Bengals picked up too many FAs last year to qualify anyway, I was just never sure if you get rewarded for supplying players to other teams in the league after covering their pay and training for 3 years.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
(02-25-2022, 06:57 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: If you get 2 good starters from a draft class that has to be seen as fairly successful. So as weak as Taylor’s first draft was (particularly that 2nd round pick…) at least we got that with Jonah and Pratt.

I don't think ZT had a ton of impact in that one. At the time, it really disappointed (outside of Jonah) and felt like a ML draft: An obvious pick, meh picks at TE and LB, a couple skills guys and nobody else that super stuck out. It was like the several previous years where there wasn't anything super bad, but not anything super good.

The second year (granted we were picking higher) were Burrow, Higgins and Wilson and (at the time) it was like we hit the friggin lottery. 

I'm really curious this year how it's going to be picking at the end of the first. Can ZT keep up his luck of the last two years or will we fall back on players that are sorta meh?
Reply/Quote
(02-25-2022, 11:01 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: Agreed. Haven't seen enough to be bummed about moving on. Glad to see Jordan Willis stick around and contribute in SF.

Does anybody know if losing a guy off of the PS increase the FA losses at all for ammo in the battle for compensatory picks?

I know that the Bengals picked up too many FAs last year to qualify anyway, I was just never sure if you get rewarded for supplying players to other teams in the league after covering their pay and training for 3 years.

I've not heard of teams getting any sort of compensation for losing practice squad players to other teams.  Now, I will say that I'm really pleased with the adaptation of the expanded PS rosters, and hope that remains a permanent fixture.  It keeps a lot of talented players paid and ready to play whenever the inevitable injury bug decides to bite.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-25-2022, 07:57 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Best of luck to Wren in Philly.  Honestly, I don't think he had much of a shot at making the 53 on this team, anyway.

Yeah, Wren was a raw prospect to begin with. Our DT room needs to stay deep in keeping BJ and hopefully Larry O too...

We will see. Keep BJ at the very least and draft a guy like Winfrey early if Ogunjobi wants too much dough.
Reply/Quote
There is no compensation for players such as Wren. His service contract ended after the Super Bowl and the Bengals opted not to offer him a futures contract.

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
Thanks.

I know soccer has a founders fee that sometimes goes all the way back to the youth league, I just never knew the NFL's rules on it.

I remember getting stuck watching a Cowboys game at a friend's house a few years ago and the announcer mentioned after a DT injury that one of the teams was thin at the position because they've had two DTs signed off of their PS the last 2 weeks. The other announcer added that they had three PS players plucked in the last 5 weeks. I always wondered about it after that comment.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote