Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jesse Bates Was Just On NFL Network
(02-23-2022, 10:14 PM)Housh Wrote: Bruh...ill never understand why ppl hate athletes that act like regualr humans.

Are you seriously mad that hed be upset that he didnt get a long contract? Hes not a bad person for wanting security.

I dislike the comment that they only get one shot. That's not negotiating.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-23-2022, 10:14 PM)Housh Wrote: Bruh...ill never understand why ppl hate athletes that act like regualr humans.

Are you seriously mad that hed be upset that he didnt get a long contract? Hes not a bad person for wanting security.

Exactly and I get your point but, like I said, he's not going to get much more guaranteed money than he'll get with the tag, so why not risk it and then take another big amount of guaranteed money next offseason when he signs long-term?
Reply/Quote
It’s weird to me how much people are downplaying his performance in the playoffs. For years we had a bunch of regular season stars that completely disappeared in the playoffs. Now we have a guy play out of his mind in the postseason and all we care about is the regular season.

Reply/Quote
(02-23-2022, 10:36 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: It’s weird to me how much people are downplaying his performance in the playoffs. For years we had a bunch of regular season stars that completely disappeared in the playoffs. Now we have a guy play out of his mind in the postseason and all we care about is the regular season.

I also don't get how people are downplaying the role he, and also Bell, played in the postseason just because they're not corners or rushing the passer.
Reply/Quote
(02-23-2022, 10:52 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: I also don't get how people are downplaying the role he, and also Bell, played in the postseason just because they're not corners or rushing the passer.

Bates was our best player in the playoffs.

Reply/Quote
(02-23-2022, 10:36 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: It’s weird to me how much people are downplaying his performance in the playoffs. For years we had a bunch of regular season stars that completely disappeared in the playoffs. Now we have a guy play out of his mind in the postseason and all we care about is the regular season.

I haven't seen too many downplay his playoff performance, so I don't see the weirdness. I do see folks putting a lot of stock into his regular season. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
It's whatever to me either outcome is fine.

Personally I wouldn't give a huge contract to a safety considering our QB was sacked 70 times but that's just me.

However if the Bengals decided to get rid of Mixon to save salary I would love to sign Bates to whatever he wants.
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote

One interception and 3 pass breakups in 17 games simply isnt Top 3 safety play.  He did do well in the last 4 playoff games.

Whether it's Bates or any one else, who here thinks the Free Safety should be the highest paid player on defense?

DE, DT, CB, LB - these stop the run, rush the passer and are the 1st line of defense against the deadliest WR's.  This is where the money should go in my opinion.

It's not like Bates is Ed Reed back there.   
Reply/Quote
(02-23-2022, 11:06 PM)casear2727 Wrote: One interception and 3 pass breakups in 17 games simply isnt Top 3 safety play.  He did do well in the last 4 playoff games.

Whether it's Bates or any one else, who here thinks the Free Safety should be the highest paid player on defense?

DE, DT, CB, LB - these stop the run, rush the passer and are the 1st line of defense against the deadliest WR's.  This is where the money should go in my opinion.

It's not like Bates is Ed Reed back there.   

He didn’t play in 17 games. As far as not being one of the best safeties off all time back there, he couldn’t have played much better in the playoffs against the top teams…

Just 4 catches on 11 targets, 3 pass breakups, 2 INT’s, and only allowed a 35.6 passer rating through 4 games.

Reply/Quote
(02-23-2022, 11:17 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: He didn’t play in 17 games. As far as not being one of the best safeties off all time back there, he couldn’t have played much better in the playoffs against the top teams…

Just 4 catches on 11 targets, 3 pass breakups, 2 INT’s, and only allowed a 35.6 passer rating through 4 games.

My bad, 16 games - like everyone else before this year.... he was great in the playoff, everyone must admit that.

If he continues that playoff run he deserves Top3 pay, We signed the Super Bowl MVP and he wasnt worth what we paid.  Granted Bates is better than Dexter but still... 

And I will NEVER see how the FS is the highest paid defender on a great defense with a franchise QB?
Reply/Quote
You can praise him for playoffs but you cant ignore subpar year either, if you do you are just using playoffs as shade, evaluate the full picture which time is Bates had a above average year all things considered
Reply/Quote
(02-23-2022, 11:28 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: You can praise him for playoffs but you cant ignore subpar year either, if you do you are just using playoffs as shade,  evaluate the full picture which time is Bates had a above average year all things considered

It's weird how people overlook a regular season..

Mark Sanchez and Joe Flacco for HOF
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(02-23-2022, 11:25 PM)casear2727 Wrote: My bad, 16 games - like everyone else before this year.... he was great in the playoff, everyone must admit that.

If he continues that playoff run he deserves Top3 pay, We signed the Super Bowl MVP and he wasnt worth what we paid.  Granted Bates is better than Dexter but still... 

And I will NEVER see how the FS is the highest paid defender on a great defense with a franchise QB?

Anyway, I can’t get too hung up on what position is the highest paid. Reader is the 2nd highest paid player on the defense, and a lot of people would argue against the value of paying a NT that much. But he was a major reason for our success this season. It was nearly impossible to run on the Bengals all year.

A rangy FS like Bates (at his best) is invaluable to what a defense can do.

Reply/Quote
(02-23-2022, 11:28 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: You can praise him for playoffs but you cant ignore subpar year either, if you do you are just using playoffs as shade,  evaluate the full picture which time is Bates had a above average year all things considered

Why do you hate English?

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(02-23-2022, 11:34 PM)bfine32 Wrote: It's weird how people overlook a regular season..

Mark Sanchez and Joe Flacco for HOF

You’d maybe have a point if we hadn’t ever seen him put together an elite regular season as well like he did in 2020. And he’s still super young, too, at only 24. I don’t want to see him on some other team when he really hits his peak.

Reply/Quote
(02-23-2022, 11:35 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: *15

Anyway, I can’t get too hung up on what position is the highest paid. Reader is the 2nd highest paid player on the defense, and a lot of people would argue against the value of paying a NT that much. But he was a major reason for our success this season. It was nearly impossible to run on the Bengals all year.

A rangy FS like Bates (at his best) is invaluable to what a defense can do.

Notwithstanding an elite player, I just really struggle paying FS the top dollar on defense, less money must be paid elsewhere.  DE, CB, DT/NG then an argument for FS or LB

We currently have a solid CB2 or a better than average CB1 with Awuzie - we need one either way.

We have zero DT's, need DT1 and DT2

So these are 3 guys I value over FS, unless Bates can play at an elite level during the season AND definitely the postseason.  
Reply/Quote
I would like to see bates here long term. If they can’t agree on terms, you have to tag him. He is too important to this defense.

I’d get rid of boyd or mixon, before letting bates walk. JMO.
Reply/Quote
(02-23-2022, 11:46 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Notwithstanding an elite player, I just really struggle paying FS the top dollar on defense, less money must be paid elsewhere.  DE, CB, DT/NG then an argument for FS or LB

We currently have a solid CB2 or a better than average CB1 with Awuzie - we need one either way.

We have zero DT's, need DT1 and DT2

So these are 3 guys I value over FS, unless Bates can play at an elite level during the season AND definitely the postseason.  

But bates can play at an elite level, like 2020, and 2021 post season. I think he was pushing a little to try and earn a contract.
Reply/Quote
(02-23-2022, 11:49 PM)Bengalbug Wrote: I would like to see bates here long term. If they can’t agree on terms, you have to tag him.  He is too important to this defense.  

I’d get rid of boyd or mixon, before letting bates walk.  JMO.

Boyd and Mixon are gone in the future, without a doubt.  Folks think Im crazy because I want value for them sooner than later, and by value I mean one of the best olines in the league.

If Bates plays at an elite level sure but Tag this year and prove it if he wants more than $14M range.
Reply/Quote
(02-23-2022, 09:33 PM)Au165 Wrote: The franchise tag for safeties has yielded bad results for the players lately. Anthony Harris and Marcus Maye both essentially lost out on massive money because of the tag year, and to abates point most players get one crack at the massive pay day off their rookie deal and risking it on a one year deal is tough.

I guess the flip side of the coin is Justin Simmons became the highest paid S in the league after being tagged twice, but it works out differently for everyone. 

If Bates had played last year like he did in '20, I'd have no problem paying him top 5 S money on a long term deal.  Unfortunately, he mailed it in during the regular season and created serious doubt that he can consistently play at a level that will justify the pay he wants.  

I would personally not FT him.  If you couldn't work out a long term deal last year and can't work one out this year, you probably won't work one out next year, either.  May as well find his replacement now instead of tying up $13 mil in cap space on a one year rental.
Reply/Quote