Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jim O interview with Mike Brown
So you are saying that Marvin is handicapped by having a lazy, incompetent, delusional owner/GM?

That means his record would be much better if he was HC for a different team, right?
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2018, 09:10 PM)fredtoast Wrote: So you are saying that Marvin is handicapped by having a lazy, incompetent, delusional owner/GM?

That means his record would be much better if he was HC for a different team, right?

Using your lawyerly dissembling skills again? Marvin has had 15+ years, several very talented rosters, and 7 cracks at Playoff glory. Marvin has blown his opportunities. Other teams would’ve canned his ass 5 years ago at minimum.
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2018, 09:17 PM)t3r3e3 Wrote: Using your lawyerly dissembling skills again?  Marvin has had 15+ years, several very talented rosters,  and 7 cracks at Playoff glory.  Marvin has blown his opportunities.  Other teams would’ve canned his ass 5 years ago at minimum.

But he was handicapped by having a delusional, lazy owner.  That had to have hurt his record some, right?
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2018, 09:19 PM)fredtoast Wrote: But he was handicapped by having a delusional, lazy owner.  That had to have hurt his record some, right?

Top tier owners would not have suffered the ineptitude as long as Brown. Marvin would’ve been fired after Palmer mutinied. Sure, Marvin might have been handicapped by Mike. That’s a valid point.

The counterpoint is Marvin has had more opportunities than 95% of head coaches in NFL history. He has failed royally with 15 years of chances. He has an NFL record for Playoff futility. He has been owned by the team’s biggest rival. His teams are perpetual losers in Primetime. He has a history of choking away second half leads.

Marvin is at least half the problem here. Dissemble all you want, it doesn’t change the fact that Marvin is inept as a head coach. Once the team had the roster to compete for Playoff wins, Marvin has consistently done less with more.
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
You have an extremely unmotivated owner who has never been any good at holding head coaches accountable.

You have a head coach that realizes his glaring failures in certain areas during his tenure won't matter to the owner.

Combine the two and you get mediocrity, complacency and 'we gotta do better' by doing the same thing for 15 years.
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2018, 05:11 AM)CornerBlitz Wrote: I've been saying this for a decade and it's never happened. It won't happen with this clown as the owner.

It happened in 2011 when we signed three starters for our defense and even gave one (Nate Clements) of them a contract for over $5 million a year .
Reply/Quote
Mike Brown is petrified of another 90s nightmare, he gets comfort with Marvin, kinda like his comfort food.
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2018, 10:15 PM)fredtoast Wrote: It happened in 2011 when we signed three starters for our defense and even gave one (Nate Clements) of them a contract for over $5 million a year .

It's a little telling when you have to hold up a 5.25m apy deal as the largest given out in 7 years. Hell, the only other 5m apy deal given out during that time was to a former Bengal, Michael Johnson. 

Also, not a single upper tier roll of the dice during the 5 one and done's, in an attempt to get over the hump. 
Reply/Quote
Mike brown sucks and so does Marvin let's move on
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2018, 10:35 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: Mike brown sucks and so does Marvin let's move on

But the continuity is...

[Image: giphy.gif]
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2018, 09:10 PM)fredtoast Wrote: So you are saying that Marvin is handicapped by having a lazy, incompetent, delusional owner/GM?

I honestly feel that this is exactly the case.  Marvin may well have done a lot better on a team with a full complement of scouts and access to upper-tier outside free agents.  
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2018, 10:15 PM)fredtoast Wrote: It happened in 2011 when we signed three starters for our defense and even gave one (Nate Clements) of them a contract for over $5 million a year .

Would you say Clements exceeded, flopped or played to his contract?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
This somehow makes me less excited for this season and any future seasons
[Image: 83-A0733-D-167-F-44-AB-9994-4-BE98-E6-E353-B.webp]
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2018, 11:49 PM)Trademark Wrote: This somehow makes me less excited for this season and any future seasons

Give it five minutes. You'll read something else and change your mind. Ninja

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2018, 09:19 PM)fredtoast Wrote: But he was handicapped by having a delusional, lazy owner.  That had to have hurt his record some, right?

As I see it now,yes he has been handicapped some during free agency time. The guy loves vets and he did it that way in Baltimore, where they went out and got top vets to help win a ring.
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2018, 11:22 PM)BenZoo2 Wrote: Would you say Clements exceeded, flopped or played to his contract?

I thought the guy sucked,nothing special about him except a solid tackler sometimes if he could catch the guy. That's one of our problems the free agents we get suck or they have a major injury like odum,bryant.
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2018, 11:22 PM)BenZoo2 Wrote: Would you say Clements exceeded, flopped or played to his contract?

I'd say he played to his contract. He held it down ok for a couple years. Nothing special, but it lessened the sting of letting JJo walk JJo leaving.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
I would say that this is a disheartening interview, but it’s Mike being Mike. He doesn’t seem to understand what fresh ideas from coaching means when he wanted to bring back almost all the same coaches from a 7-9 team. I’m finding little evidence that this team is going to improve on the 7-9 record.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
Absolutely feel Marvin has been hamstrung by MB royally.

Yet that would not change his poor clock management, his efforts at trying to milk out clock way too early with too small of lead, and his stubbornness about playing young players.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
Mike will be 83 when the season fires back up. He looks to be in decent health, he will probably live into his 90’s. I don’t see him letting go at all until death. I do wish him a long and healthy life even though that all but ensures that we fans are screwed. I know that I won’t spend another red cent on the team until they win a playoff game. I’m not a Bengals fanatic like I use to be. I won’t root for any other NFL team but I only watch now because it’s become a pathetic joke. I would guess that it will take a minimum of 5 years to see any kind of change. It will be another crap offseason. They will sign a mediocre free agent or two, they will draft a project player, a guy coming off of a surgery or a terrible character guy. Maybe he will draft one of each. Marvin will coach not to lose instead of coaching to win again, he’s a real ***** with that! It’s just the s.o.s., I’m thankful that I’ve smartened up enough not to spend anymore money on the manure but I’m still wasting my time. I guess it could be worse.
Reply/Quote