Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jim Turner is our new OL Coach
(02-07-2019, 12:00 AM)Older Than You Too Wrote: Funny, because I was about to make a thread regarding Marvin's new job (surprised there hasn't been one yet). He'll be a commentator/analyst for the Alliance Football league.

Marvin, what sort of adjustments do you think San Antonio will be making at halftime?

Halftime adjustments are just journalistic jargon, Jim.  (clap clap clap) Let's go!

Marvin, it's just you and me here in the booth.
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(02-07-2019, 08:36 PM)Bronxbengal Wrote: He can’t be any worse than the Piano Man.  I like him just for the fact he is pissing off the Political Correct crowd.  

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, I really think the Dolphins hung him out to dry.  The guy is a blue-collar Boston guy that was in the military and coaches one of the toughest groups in football.  I don't want doctor Phil that's not his job.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(02-07-2019, 08:18 PM)grampahol Wrote: according to Taylor via the mothership: "“He’s a great person, great human, somebody I trust … " 
Great person? Great human? Hmmmm...  Well we have a brand new definition of great then.. 

Yeah that's taking it a bit far. People make mistakes, but you sort of lose credibility when you say things like that about guys with a track record like Turner.

I feel like losing Pollack was big...but he must have left for a reason?
Reply/Quote
(02-07-2019, 08:36 PM)Bronxbengal Wrote: He can’t be any worse than the Piano Man.  I like him just for the fact he is pissing off the Political Correct crowd.  

That seems to be what a lot of fans say about whoever we hire - 'They can't be worse than the guy they replaced.'

In reality, they could be. We had good offensive lines a lot of years under Alexander.

After Zeitler and Whitworth left...we didn't. But then we added a Rookie Center and a highly paid LT the next year for Pollack to coach, and the line graded out as poorly.

While Marvin and the coaches underperformed in the playoffs...they did overachieve during the regular season some years.
Reply/Quote
(02-07-2019, 11:54 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: That seems to be what a lot of fans say about whoever we hire - 'They can't be worse than the guy they replaced.'

In reality, they could be. We had good offensive lines a lot of years in spite of Alexander.

After Zeitler and Whitworth left...we didn't. But then we added a Rookie Center and a highly paid LT the next year for Pollack to coach, and the line graded out as poorly.

While Marvin and the coaches underperformed in the playoffs...they did overachieve during the regular season some years.

Fixed it.

As for Turner, there's this: The New War on Comedy
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-07-2019, 11:54 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: That seems to be what a lot of fans say about whoever we hire - 'They can't be worse than the guy they replaced.'

In reality, they could be. We had good offensive lines a lot of years under Alexander.

Totally disagree but is probably because at one time I didn’t know how to poor Heinz Ketchup....Piano Man was a sub average coach who couldn’t coach up talent. The only time the line was half way decent was because of talent. Also he was the dumbass who judges talent by how someone pours ketchup and we ended up with Ced and Fisher.

Reply/Quote
As a fan, if he can help the team block better and win games, that is all I care about. The past is the past, leave it there.

Reply/Quote
(02-08-2019, 09:42 AM)The Real Deal Wrote: As a fan, if he can help the team block better and win games, that is all I care about. The past is the past, leave it there.

Thats good and all, but you know that we now live in a time and age where its a must to be outraged over every little thing.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Thumbs Up 
(02-07-2019, 04:42 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I agree.

We've hired a bunch of guys into new roles that are a level or two above where they were currently employed. We have to just wait and see how things come together. Some of these coaches may be great...and lets hope Taylor is!

Then, the ones who fail can be replaced and over time hopefully we build something great.

Best comment yet.

Every person on this board has (undoubtedly) been promoted in the past. In other words, you were promoted into a job at which you had little experience. That's what a promotion is ... someone higher up than you saw something in you that convinced them to take a chance on you. Whether you got promoted from being a salesman to a sales manager or from a busboy to a waiter, someone higher up took a chance on you.

Maybe we should all just chill out and see what happens.
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2019, 09:57 AM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: Thats good and all, but you know that we now live in a time and age where its a must to be outraged over every little thing.

Yep. It’ll blow over though when the next thing to be outraged about comes along.

I also wonder how many casual football fans could even name their team’s OL coach, let alone know much about him.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(02-08-2019, 09:57 AM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: Thats good and all, but you know that we now live in a time and age where its a must to be outraged over every little thing.

I know.  Sickening, ain't it?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(02-07-2019, 08:21 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: I honestly think the majority of fans couldn't care less, if Turner's numbers as a coach were better.

Backlash for hiring an idiot bully?  Nah.  Backlash for hiring an idiot bully that hasn't produced great line play recently.  Yep.

This.

It appears Taylor is surrounding himself with "yes men" who will agree with whatever he says instead of coaches who might help him see different perspectives on problems. 
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2019, 10:22 AM)PV Bengal Wrote: Best comment yet.

Every person on this board has (undoubtedly) been promoted in the past. In other words, you were promoted into a job at which you had little experience. That's what a promotion is ... someone higher up than you saw something in you that convinced them to take a chance on you. Whether you got promoted from being a salesman to a sales manager or from a busboy to a waiter, someone higher up took a chance on you.

And everyone has seen people get promoted (or promoted) based on being an old friend of the boss instead of doing a great job.
Reply/Quote

I heard this shit every day when I was the guy pushing Mixon in the draft section and look how that's turned out.  Stop judging everyone and listen to both sides of the story then accept the fact that this guy has his own culture, upbringing, and beliefs that may not be today's ideal norms.  I mean come on we live in a society where a guy is actually suing his parents because he didn't consent to his own birth.  The guy is an Offensive Line Coach, not Doctor Phil. 

Reply/Quote
(02-07-2019, 03:36 PM)Au165 Wrote: In the end it comes down to you either trust Taylor or you don't. They guys was ultra prepared for a reason he has a very specific way he wants to do things and so if these are the pieces he needs to do that so be it. 

Actually he doesn't seem to have a very specific plan at all.  Supposedly he does not even know if he will run a 4-3 or a 3-4 base defense.
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2019, 02:29 PM)fredtoast Wrote: And everyone has seen people get promoted (or promoted) based on being an old friend of the boss instead of doing a great job.

So you're saying he doesn't deserve to be promoted?  This guy has coached a lot of very good offensive lines for being such a shitty coach eh?

Reply/Quote
(02-08-2019, 10:22 AM)PV Bengal Wrote: Best comment yet.

Yes. And in that new job...you can't just keep doing what made you successful in your old job. You have to adapt and do the higher level work and that takes time.
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2019, 02:32 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Actually he doesn't seem to have a very specific plan at all.  Supposedly he does not even know if he will run a 4-3 or a 3-4 base defense.

So what's wrong with that?  A new coach and DC will always sit down to evaluate how they want to move forward.  There is a lot of reasons this team could be really successful in a 3-4 

Reply/Quote
(02-08-2019, 02:24 PM)fredtoast Wrote: This.

It appears Taylor is surrounding himself with "yes men" who will agree with whatever he says instead of coaches who might help him see different perspectives on problems. 

I do share the concern that he seems to be hiring a lot of his friends. I won't say it's a full red flag, but it's maybe an orange one.

Del Rio and some of the other experienced guys turning us down is big too.
Reply/Quote
I don't really agree with this hire because of the past history with Turner but I think Zac knows what he is doing with his staff. However, I think this could just be a one year deal until Bill Callahan's contract is finished in Washington so that Zac can get who he really wants. The only way I see that it lasts longer than one year is if Turner comes in and makes this offensive line a top 10 unit again.
Reply/Quote