Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jim Turner is our new OL Coach
Since the next highest teams are at 44, I'm going out on a limb and saying this is players drafted by a team that have since moved on.
Go Benton Panthers!!
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-25-2019, 02:35 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I'd say the best way we can free up the draft is by signing Juwaun James, RT.

I would think that Taylor would want a QB or WR if he had his ideal choice. We just have too many needs.

James seems like the most likely FA signing too from the way Taylor has been running things.

Also believe that Zac really likes Dalton, smart and accurate. Just the type of QB he likes.

TE i think might be the surprise pick over WR just cause all of ours are always injured or are not with a contract right now.

Maybe not that much of a surprise pick honestly. But we are going to need some Linebackers and Lineman like James first.

If we go James in FA, White in the first Fant in the 2nd, Guard in the 3rd it would be a grand Offseason IMO.

(02-26-2019, 01:57 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: x2. 

That's just one of those things that Mike has dug his heels in on, and it won't change til he's gone. He wants to win, but he wants to win "his way".

How many of those players are on our roster? Because I'm not sure being on the roster of a 6-10 team is a big accomplishment.

Also, quality >>> quantity. How many pro-bowlers or all-pro's have we drafted in comparison to other teams?

To be fair, there have been a lot of Pro Bowl and All Pro snubbs here. Whit, Hall, Dunlap and just lately Mixon got snubbed.
Reply/Quote
(02-26-2019, 11:26 AM)SladeX Wrote: Since the next highest teams are at 44, I'm going out on a limb and saying this is players drafted by a team that have since moved on.

Which means they usually draft well, coaching has been the problem.
Reply/Quote
This guy just doesn’t get it. He’s sorry what he said came out, not what he said.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/02/28/jim-turner-unfortunately-some-things-i-said-came-out-so-i-have-to-be-smarter/
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2019, 05:43 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: This guy just doesn’t get it. He’s sorry what he said came out, not what he said.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/02/28/jim-turner-unfortunately-some-things-i-said-came-out-so-i-have-to-be-smarter/

Sounds to me like a guy determined not to screw up again.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(02-28-2019, 05:43 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: This guy just doesn’t get it. He’s sorry what he said came out, not what he said.

I usually give people a hard time for spouting generic feel-good answers during interviews, so I'll accept that he said this.  If he does well here, he will be a no-nonsense and tough guy we like and if he fails here he will be a jerk with no self-control who thinks he's still in high school.
Reply/Quote
Bengals.com has an interesting article up on Turner. A couple of things that stood out for me:

On what he's learned since the Miami experience --

“I'm an Irish Catholic from Boston, all right. I was a lieutenant in the Marine Corps. A lot of what I grew up with in my home and a lot of what I experienced in my time through college and coaching and the military, I use humor a lot to make my point,” Turner said. “And when you're talking to a group of men, you really have to see what the situation is like. Who are you speaking to? So when I'm standing in a room filled with Marines, it can be harsh. And it can be direct as to what you want them to do. You need to make your points. Speaking to an offensive line in the NFL isn't much different.

“And so there are some things said sometimes that wouldn't come out right if the average citizen just walking down the street was to listen to it. And unfortunately, some of the things I said and some of the things I did with my players, had come out. And so moving forward, I just have to be smart about what I do and when I'm going to try to use entertainment to motivate the players.”

It sounds like he really likes Bobby Hart --

“I thought was phenomenal. I know he gave up some sacks and pressures and all this other business, but if you really watch him play, he played with passion and I thought he played well,” Turner said. “He played for Jimbo, so I talked with Jimbo about him coming from Florida State. I just like what he brought to the table as far as energy is concerned. I think he’s an athlete and I think he’s a good player, a good, solid player.”
Reply/Quote
Good for him. I'm for moving on and giving him a chance. I like his hard-nose Marine attitude. We're not hiring him to be a life coach, just an OL coach. It seems like he learned his lesson so he's got a clean slate in my eyes. He doesnt have to agree with my version of morality to have a job he's good at, the way I see it.
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2019, 08:00 PM)bengaloo Wrote: Good for him. I'm for moving on and giving him a chance. I like his hard-nose Marine attitude. We're not hiring him to be a life coach, just an OL coach. It seems like he learned his lesson so he's got a clean slate in my eyes. He doesnt have to agree with my version of morality to have a job he's good at, the way I see it.

Exactly, the last thing i want in my O-line coach is to be soft.
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2019, 07:45 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Bengals.com has an interesting article up on Turner. A couple of things that stood out for me:

“I'm an Irish Catholic from Boston, all right. I was a lieutenant in the Marine Corps. A lot of what I grew up with in my home and a lot of what I experienced in my time through college and coaching and the military, I use humor a lot to make my point,” Turner said. “And when you're talking to a group of men, you really have to see what the situation is like. Who are you speaking to? So when I'm standing in a room filled with Marines, it can be harsh. And it can be direct as to what you want them to do. You need to make your points. Speaking to an offensive line in the NFL isn't much different.

“And so there are some things said sometimes that wouldn't come out right if the average citizen just walking down the street was to listen to it. And unfortunately, some of the things I said and some of the things I did with my players, had come out. And so moving forward, I just have to be smart about what I do and when I'm going to try to use entertainment to motivate the players.”

“I thought was phenomenal. I know he gave up some sacks and pressures and all this other business, but if you really watch him play, he played with passion and I thought he played well,” Turner said. “He played for Jimbo, so I talked with Jimbo about him coming from Florida State. I just like what he brought to the table as far as energy is concerned. I think he’s an athlete and I think he’s a good player, a good, solid player.”

Oh no!   Gaah 

If he really does like/believe in Hart as a player, then I certainly hope that he can truly reach him on a personal level, and get him to do what it takes to improve his game.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2019, 07:45 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Bengals.com has an interesting article up on Turner. A couple of things that stood out for me:

Honestly, Hart isn't great...but for a 7th Round pick and what he's paid to start n the NFL his 1st 2 years in the league is pretty good.

Ideally he'll be a backup for us next year. In that scenario, I'd be ok with him playing spot snaps when a guy is injured.
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2019, 12:05 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: To be fair, there have been a lot of Pro Bowl and All Pro snubbs here. Whit, Hall, Dunlap and just lately Mixon got snubbed.

Then there is no good way to judge our scouting department...because "players on rosters" could mean any bottom-of-the-roster scrub.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2019, 09:55 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Then there is no good way to judge our scouting department...because "players on rosters" could mean any bottom-of-the-roster scrub.

Still think we draft well, think the Og pick is what makes everyone think otherwise. That was a terrible pick. Should of scouted that guy better that is for damn sure but i blame Piano man on that pick. Thought he could make something out of that shit sandwich and boy was he wrong.
Reply/Quote
(02-26-2019, 01:57 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: How many of those players are on our roster? Because I'm not sure being on the roster of a 6-10 team is a big accomplishment.

Also, quality >>> quantity. How many pro-bowlers or all-pro's have we drafted in comparison to other teams?

Does how amount on the roster change the fact the Bengals draft well? Wouldnt a team that drafts well have more of their own picks on their roster?

The league average of players drafted on NFL teams is mid 30s that means mid to high 20s that they have drafted on their roster. That means half their 53 man teams is made up of either Free Agents or UDFAs.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(02-28-2019, 10:03 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Still think we draft well, think the Og pick is what makes everyone think otherwise. That was a terrible pick. Should of scouted that guy better that is for damn sure but i blame Piano man on that pick. Thought he could make something out of that shit sandwich and boy was he wrong.

I honestly don't think we draft terribly overall, but Og is far from the only ammo you could use if you wanted to question our scouting. Especially lately. Guys like Boyd are good, but we haven't had enough "hits" lately, and that's a huge reason why we've missed the playoffs 3 years straight. The roster just isn't what it was from 2011-2015. We haven't replenished talent.

I get that people are in a feel good mood with Marv gone, and I'm not trying to be overly negative here. I just feel that questions about our drafting (over the last few years) are more than fair. We've had some major whiffs and not enough big time players drafted.

(02-28-2019, 10:08 PM)Synric Wrote: Does how amount on the roster change the fact the Bengals draft well? Wouldnt a team that drafts well have more of their own picks on their roster?

The league average of players drafted on NFL teams is mid 30s that means mid to high 20s that they have drafted on their roster. That means half their 53 man teams is made up of either Free Agents or UDFAs.

It's not a fact that we draft well. It's an opinion, and having more of your own drafted players on your roster proves nothing unless those players are good. Again, quality over quantity. As of now, we've had 3 straight losing seasons, at least partially due to draft flops (Ogbuehi, Fisher, Ross, etc). Having players like that and players at the bottom of the roster contributing to those losing seasons somehow proves we're good at drafting? 

Sorry, that's Mike Brown logic. Overall, I'm a Tobin fan, but feel an expanded scouting department could only help our cause. 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2019, 12:13 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I honestly don't think we draft terribly overall, but Og is far from the only ammo you could use if you wanted to question our scouting. Especially lately. Guys like Boyd are good, but we haven't had enough "hits" lately, and that's a huge reason why we've missed the playoffs 3 years straight. The roster just isn't what it was from 2011-2015. We haven't replenished talent.

I get that people are in a feel good mood with Marv gone, and I'm not trying to be overly negative here. I just feel that questions about our drafting (over the last few years) are more than fair. We've had some major whiffs and not enough big time players drafted.

It's not a fact that we draft well. It's an opinion, and having more of your own drafted players on your roster proves nothing unless those players are good. Again, quality over quantity. As of now, we've had 3 straight losing seasons, at least partially due to draft flops (Ogbuehi, Fisher, Ross, etc). Having players like that and players at the bottom of the roster contributing to those losing seasons somehow proves we're good at drafting? 

Sorry, that's Mike Brown logic. Overall, I'm a Tobin fan, but feel an expanded scouting department could only help our cause. 

Other than linebacker, RT, and RG can you point to bad places on the roster? I mean you can start attacking depth but the Bengals have a solid roster that's biggest problem was coaching.

Can you really say teams with half their roster is free agents and udfa draft better? It's a flawed arguement
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(03-01-2019, 12:28 AM)Synric Wrote: Other than linebacker, RT, and RG can you point to bad places on the roster? I mean you can start attacking depth but the Bengals have a solid roster that's biggest problem was coaching.

Can you really say teams with half their roster is free agents and udfa draft better? It's a flawed arguement

TE isn’t a particularly strong position group. Idk if I’d say bad, but we have to stop relying on Eifert. Kroft and Uzo are decent, but we need a reliable #1.

Reply/Quote
(03-01-2019, 12:13 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I honestly don't think we draft terribly overall, but Og is far from the only ammo you could use if you wanted to question our scouting. Especially lately. Guys like Boyd are good, but we haven't had enough "hits" lately, and that's a huge reason why we've missed the playoffs 3 years straight. The roster just isn't what it was from 2011-2015. We haven't replenished talent.

We're not terrible at drafting. We're not good or great at it either.

It's quite obvious they draft from the analysts rankings.

I've seen metrics that rank teams drafting based on picks and we're like at the top of the bottom 1/3 of the league in drafting over the past 7 years or so. Yay!!! But, a lot of those guys are still in the league! #1!
Reply/Quote
LOL I’m losing more and more interest for this new regime by the day

Reply/Quote
(03-01-2019, 02:16 PM)Trademark Wrote: LOL I’m losing more and more interest for this new regime by the day

well until you know he has been replaced.... Its best not to throw them under the bus
Reply/Quote