Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Joe Burrow: 'I've won everywhere'
(04-09-2020, 10:21 PM)JerseyDD09 Wrote: Spazz, I like a lot of your thoughts. Although, with the possibilities of either or both Ross and AJ not being on the roster next year, I feel it's imperative that they take a WR to groom with Burrow right away. 
And even this year, are you comfortable with Ross or Tate at the X out wide? 
They'd prefer to have Boyd in the slot and AJ at the Z. 
I'd debate that if they were to take a Higgins/Shenault/Mims/Aiyuk/Claypool....even a Pittman,Van Jefferson, Antonio Gandy they all could very easily be competing for a spot outside with AJ this year. Their competition is Ross and Tate. So, their odds would be pretty good IMO....

Another point is that you don't just draft for this year but for the next few years. 
We'd all have to be thinking that the possibility of WJ III, AJ, Ross, Hart, and S Williams all won't be there next year. And, you have to bring in draft picks now to start competing and grooming for those spots. 

I'd love an Epenesa to put in that rotation of Dunlap, Hubbard and Lawson
I'd love a Winfield Jr or Delpit to get in the rotation with Bates/Bell/Williams
I'd love a Fulton/Jaylon Johnson to get in the mix with our DBs 

I feel the Bengals have many different routes they can take at #33 (or wherever they trade down to) lol 

I would not disagree but I just think 33 has to be a starter day 1.  OL or a top ILB would be the only positions that would have that chance. The draft should also be used to groom players for the future.  Safety, WR (deep class), LBer (if not at 33) are positions to draft and develop later in the draft.  I think that WR can be taken in 3-5 and be as productive this year or in the future, there are a ton of talented WRs in this draft. Epenesa I could get on board with as Edge would be another spot that could see a lot of playing time.  I like the safety options but after seeing Zac yesterday and the FAs that we picked up this is not a rebuild, they are trying to win now, safety and CB are not positions at 33 that will be an everyday game changer at this time. Trading down I see as a very good possibility.  Round 1 will be Thursday night and they will have all night and day to listen to phone calls for round 2.  If things fall right and something like a QB falls that pick could get multiple pick later in 2 and 3.  I am honestly excited to see what happens at 33 as we already know what is happening with pick 1.
Reply/Quote
(04-09-2020, 07:31 PM)BURROWorBUST Wrote: Point well taken. Here's my argument for 2. Our current LBs are

Bynes
Pratt
Evans
Sheldon

Let's say Williams is the LB/Safety hybrid. So, that's 5. 

Bynes is on a one year deal. And we should upgrade from Evans and Sheldon. 

I'm with you on Murray in 3rd if he's there. I'd be ok with that for a guy who can play inside and outside.  But I also want an outside guy with the speed and quicks to really cover. 

If we trade down from 33 I can see 2, if not then only 1.  My reasoning?  There are only like 3-4 top LBers in this draft worth the pick at 33 and they even have question marks.  Murray in coverage, Queen with limited time, Baun a tweener.  A guy like Malik Harrison can be taken in 3 or so and be developed and has all the physical traits of the other top LBers and just needs to be coached up.
Reply/Quote
Hope we do draft Burrow but if Miami comes with 4 #1s (1 in 2021) and 2nd Rnd this year...potentially you could get. Herbert/Tua, Queen, Jackson/Thomas, Higgins, Baun. That’s a starting QB, OL, 2LBs, and WR this year plus an extra 1st next year. I think Burrow will be good, but it boils down to just how many deficiencies can he mask.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-10-2020, 11:13 AM)Gamma Ray Tan Wrote: Hope we do draft Burrow but if Miami comes with 4 #1s (1 in 2021) and 2nd Rnd this year...potentially you could get. Herbert/Tua, Queen, Jackson/Thomas, Higgins, Baun. That’s a starting QB, OL, 2LBs, and WR this year plus an extra 1st next year. I think Burrow will be good, but it boils down to just how many deficiencies can he mask.

Going to be honest Herbert and Tua is worth close to dog crap for me personally. I don’t think Herbert will do much in the NFL and I never really liked Tua even before the injury.
Reply/Quote
(04-09-2020, 06:10 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: To the first bold, um, if you DO switch to a 3-4, you NEED a ton of LBs. So yes, we can expect (if we're all on the same page) to see 2 LBs drafted, one high, one low.

To the second bold, no they aren't.

A 3-4 hybrid, that plays Nickel 70% of the time, only means that we will have 3-4 personnel for MAYBE 15% of our snaps.

Dunlap is staying on the line, as is Hubbard; Hubbard may go into coverage 5 times a game, if that.

Lawson is the only one who will be in coverage a bit more.

Don't expect things to be as insanely-drastic as they sound; a 3-4 hybrid doesn't mean, "3-4 base defense for 90% of snaps."

UM, a nickel defense will have 5 DBs (nickel) and sometimes 6 (dime).  

So, let's break it down by position from what I have seen so far this off season.

1.  DBs in the nickel...Jackson, Waynes, Alexander, Bell, Bates
2. DBs in the dime...Jackson, Waynes, Alexander, Bell, Bates, Williams (hybrid LBer/S)
3. DL in both...Reader, Geno, (Glasgow, Wren, Topuo rotation)  We can agree to disagree if you want but they made Reader the highest paid NT in the league for a reason.  Reader in Texas played in a 3-4 and is true NT.
4. OLB (Edge if you prefer)...Dunlap, Hubbard  (Lawson, rotation)
5. ILB in nickel...Pratt
6. ILB in dime... none.. Williams as a hybrid if you want to count him as a LBer

So we have this package according to your own statement playing nickel 70% of the time.  Again I am just going by what I have seen in FA and news.

Nickel package
DL....Geno, Reader, (rotation player)
OLB (Edge) Dunlap, Hubbard
ILBer...Pratt
Safety...Bates, Bell
CBs...Waynes, Alexander, Jackson

In this 3-3-5 formation on passing downs you would most likely see Dunlap and Hubbard line up as DEs in a 3 point stance actually making 5 DLineman.  This is what makes this defense unpredictable.  Are they rushing?  Are they dropping back?  

Again, this is just my opinion.  If you said an OLB (edge) then I can see that. Someone like Epenosa at 33 would be a good pick.  A true ILB in a 3-4 or 3-4 hybrid is not going to see the field a ton IF as you said we are running a nickel 70% of the time unless someone like Murray is there and would probably beat out Pratt or Bynes.  You cannot compare last year to this coming year in my eyes.  We played 2 LBers in the nickel last year from what I remember (Vigil, Pratt).  With adding a true NT and extra CBs and Bell at safety tells me that they are moving in a different direction.  I may certainly be wrong, I am just going off what I see in personnel changes and hearing in reports.
Reply/Quote
Burrow: "I've won everywhere that I've been and never had a losing season in sports from the moment I was five years old."

Dalton: "Join the club. Welcome to the Bengals."
https://blog.siriusxm.com/andy-dalton-on-16-bengals-that-was-my-first-time-to-ever-have-a-losing-season-in-any-sport/

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(04-10-2020, 12:04 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Burrow: "I've won everywhere that I've been and never had a losing season in sports from the moment I was five years old."

https://blog.siriusxm.com/andy-dalton-on-16-bengals-that-was-my-first-time-to-ever-have-a-losing-season-in-any-sport/

I'd imagine hundreds upon hundreds, if not thousands, of professional athletes across all the major sports never experienced a losing season until they played and competed professionally.
Reply/Quote
(04-10-2020, 03:37 AM)SladeX Wrote: Not to nitpick, but, why not the city for Arkansas? Fayetteville, btw.

I put down Ark. before I did the city names, so I just forgot lol.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-10-2020, 12:18 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: I'd imagine hundreds upon hundreds, if not thousands, of professional athletes across all the major sports never experienced a losing season until they played and competed professionally.

Yup

Reply/Quote
(04-10-2020, 12:04 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Burrow: "I've won everywhere that I've been and never had a losing season in sports from the moment I was five years old."

And in walks Debbie Downer....
Reply/Quote

Burrow: "I've won everywhere that I've been and never had a losing season in sports from the moment I was five years old."

Dalton: "Hold my beer."
Reply/Quote
(04-10-2020, 12:18 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: I'd imagine hundreds upon hundreds, if not thousands, of professional athletes across all the major sports never experienced a losing season until they played and competed professionally.

Especially QBs in football and all basketball players.
Reply/Quote
(04-09-2020, 04:47 PM)J24 Wrote: Man it's going to suck when we draft Herbert over him Ninja

I see the ninja, but Peter King said yesterday that some people in the Bengals organization really like Herbert. Immediately afterwards, I saw this on YouTube:

Wouldn't that be so Bengals? In all seriousness though, Burrow is the pick. It needs repeated every year that a lot of smoke and BS comes out before the draft.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(04-10-2020, 12:00 PM)spazz70 Wrote: DL....Geno, Reader, (rotation player)
OLB (Edge) Dunlap, Hubbard

Dunlap is 100% a 3-4 DE before he's a 3-4 OLB.

He's *listed* at 285 lbs, and with all big guys, you know that means it's really more. (Ben Roethlisberger is listed at 240 lbs, 1 lb below the 241 he weighed when he went to the NFL combine in 2004, lol)

He's listed as the same weight as Justin Smith was. He is listed as having 35 pounds on Von Miller, 20 pounds on Terrell Suggs, and only 3 pounds less than JJ Watt.

If you're running a 3-4 with the current staff, the DL is Dunlap/Reader/Atkins.

Reply/Quote
(04-10-2020, 03:16 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Dunlap is 100% a 3-4 DE before he's a 3-4 OLB.

He's *listed* at 285 lbs, and with all big guys, you know that means it's really more. (Ben Roethlisberger is listed at 240 lbs, 1 lb below the 241 he weighed when he went to the NFL combine in 2004, lol)

He's listed as the same weight as Justin Smith was. He is listed as having 35 pounds on Von Miller, 20 pounds on Terrell Suggs, and only 3 pounds less than JJ Watt.

If you're running a 3-4 with the current staff, the DL is Dunlap/Reader/Atkins.

Agree to an extent as we do not know yet and yes he could play DE in both schemes but also as an edge player with the bigger bodies playing the DT and DE  as the base 3...Specifically as pertaining to nickel D as being discussed  I even stated this earlier having 5 D lineman... I am looking at modern 3-4 defenses not the Tim Krumrie 1980s 3-4.  
Reply/Quote
(04-10-2020, 03:03 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I see the ninja, but Peter King said yesterday that some people in the Bengals organization really like Herbert. Immediately afterwards, I saw this on YouTube:

Wouldn't that be so Bengals? In all seriousness though, Burrow is the pick. It needs repeated every year that a lot of smoke and BS comes out before the draft.

This is the same Peter King who said the Patriots would want Andy Dalton to be next in line after the GOAT.  And we laughed...
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
13 days until this shit stops:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=g11mSQR9dG8&t=10s

Gotta love the clickbait spawned from half a quote.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(04-10-2020, 08:24 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Not for nothing, but the QB we have won everywhere too, and before becoming a Bengal had never had back to back losses anywhere....

Burrow’s everywhere is just a tad more impressive than Dalton’s everywhere.

High school I’ll call it a push. Both Texas and Ohio have some of the best HS football in the country.

College goes to Burrow hands down. The SEC>>>The Mountain West

And running through the college playoffs and destroying an annual powerhouse team like Clemson in the NCG certainly>>>beating Wisconsin in the Rose Bowl.

Reply/Quote
https://twitter.com/i/status/1248461502866010113

Happy national Joe day! Lol
[Image: i-8rLM4gw-M.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(04-10-2020, 06:15 PM)TheBengalsMind Wrote: https://twitter.com/i/status/1248461502866010113

Happy national Joe day! Lol

Lost his shoe and still won...lol

Reply/Quote