Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Joe Burrow "There's nothing down the field if teams play us like they (Ravens) did"
[Image: 706-A1-F0-E-336-F-40-F3-BA39-8-DD6-FA4013-B2.jpg]
[Image: 83-A0733-D-167-F-44-AB-9994-4-BE98-E6-E353-B.webp]
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2022, 07:15 AM)Trademark Wrote: [Image: 706-A1-F0-E-336-F-40-F3-BA39-8-DD6-FA4013-B2.jpg]

So you make plays and take what defense gives you, issue with team we are not consistent enough to do that.. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Don't love the vibe this gives off, just tells teams how to stop us. I'm sure there's further context though.

If teams take away the deep stuff, we more than have the pieces to beat teams short. I've said it before, Chase's best value to us this season might not have anything to do with getting the ball, but by just being on the field it makes teams sit back.

Beat teams with the short game. Most teams in the league would dream of having the pass catchers we do. And a lot of teams would still dream of what we have, even if you take Chase away.

Hopefully the run game can keep it going too.
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2022, 07:28 AM)TheCincinnatiKid Wrote: Don't love the vibe this gives off, just tells teams how to stop us. I'm sure there's further context though.

If teams take away the deep stuff, we more than have the pieces to beat teams short. I've said it before, Chase's best value to us this season might not have anything to do with getting the ball, but by just being on the field it makes teams sit back.

Beat teams with the short game. Most teams in the league would dream of having the pass catchers we do. And a lot of teams would still dream of what we have, even if you take Chase away.

Hopefully the run game can keep it going too.

Yeah I don't like the vibe either, seems like his swag is going away
[Image: 83-A0733-D-167-F-44-AB-9994-4-BE98-E6-E353-B.webp]
Reply/Quote
Not typical Joe speak.

Reply/Quote
Joe Burrow is absolutely right. There is nothing down the field. Defensive coordinators have seen plenty of film on the 2021 Cincinnati Bengals and they have successfully countered the deep threat. Play "two high safety" and the Bengals have no answer.

With this said, it marks the first time Joe has implicitly called out the coaches. Every other press conference from 2020 onward has featured classic Burrow-isms like, "I need to play better," but this is different. Teams have made the Bengals one-dimensional on offense and if the run gets stuffed as well, the offense sputters along.
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2022, 08:05 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Joe Burrow is absolutely right.  There is nothing down the field.  Defensive coordinators have seen plenty of film on the 2021 Cincinnati Bengals and they have successfully countered the deep threat.  Play "two high safety" and the Bengals have no answer.  

With this said, it marks the first time Joe has implicitly called out the coaches.  Every other press conference from 2020 onward has featured classic Burrow-isms like, "I need to play better," but this is different.  Teams have made the Bengals one-dimensional on offense and if the run gets stuffed as well, the offense sputters along.  

Not just coaching, this offense that means Burrow, Chase, Mixon, line etc is not consistent enough to move the ball or not making the plays when needed.  Chase touched the ball a ton last night and really outside of a great catch no YAC to speak off.  Burrow had Boyd open twice in the seam maybe for a TD on one but passed on throwing it or just missed him.  Mixon finally seemed to run very decisive last nite, blocking was better but he had a few bigs runs where he adjusted to no hole... If all you need to is great play calling then you can win with average players and I don;t think i buy that one either.
Reply/Quote
Hate to see it.

Guy fought it and is probably still fighting, but he’s being Bungleized.
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

Reply/Quote
Well, that’s the point of the defensive schemes that are being played against us. Eliminate the home run ball, and force the team to beat you in the short-intermediate passing game. Once the Bengals show they can beat you that way just as well, the long ball will open up again. The Bengals should be able to do this…they have the personnel.

I’m sure that I’m dumbing this down a bit, but the team needs to figure it out quickly. They have been off all year, without really even showing many flashes of being a good offense.
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(10-10-2022, 08:32 AM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: Well, that’s the point of the defensive schemes that are being played against us. Eliminate the home run ball, and force the team to beat you in the short-intermediate passing game. Once the Bengals show they can beat you that way just as well, the long ball will open up again. The Bengals should be able to do this…they have the personnel.

I’m sure that I’m dumbing this down a bit, but the team needs to figure it out quickly. They have been off all year, without really even showing many flashes of being a good offense.

They don't have the coaches to do it.
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2022, 08:32 AM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: Well, that’s the point of the defensive schemes that are being played against us. Eliminate the home run ball, and force the team to beat you in the short-intermediate passing game. Once the Bengals show they can beat you that way just as well, the long ball will open up again. The Bengals should be able to do this…they have the personnel.

This is the issue this year it is deep or short we have no intermediate stuff. The first 3 or 4 series was all 3 and outs every play was behind the line of scrimmage. Everything was so short they just had to crowd the line of scrimmage to stop us.
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2022, 08:43 AM)Mickeypoo Wrote: They don't have the coaches to do it.

Zac is too stubborn to let Callahan call plays. So, we will never know if we got the coaches or not.
Reply/Quote
Not with the way Zac Taylor calls plays.

Teams have figured him out and now a simple ass concept called Cover 2 is confounding him (and Joe) completely.

Tyler Boyd should be feasting in cover 2 looks...
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2022, 08:55 AM)BengalsBong Wrote: Zac is too stubborn to let Callahan call plays. So, we will never know if we got the coaches or not.

We don;t know that, ive coached and even when making play calls, coaches are talking consistent to each other especially from up top... it might be the opposite at times too... too much think from up top... maybe go with gut more...
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2022, 07:15 AM)Trademark Wrote: [Image: 706-A1-F0-E-336-F-40-F3-BA39-8-DD6-FA4013-B2.jpg]

Then the short stuff should be easy pickings....too bad the offense doesn't seem to know how to take advantage of that.  
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2022, 09:01 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Not with the way Zac Taylor calls plays.

Teams have figured him out and now a simple ass concept called Cover 2 is confounding him (and Joe) completely.

Tyler Boyd should be feasting in cover 2 looks...

Tyler Boyd was also going against the Raven's #3 CB that he been allowing opposing QB's a PERFECT QB RATING when targeting him up to last night.  Boyd was targeted 4 times.  
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2022, 08:05 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Joe Burrow is absolutely right.  There is nothing down the field.  Defensive coordinators have seen plenty of film on the 2021 Cincinnati Bengals and they have successfully countered the deep threat.  Play "two high safety" and the Bengals have no answer.  

With this said, it marks the first time Joe has implicitly called out the coaches.  Every other press conference from 2020 onward has featured classic Burrow-isms like, "I need to play better," but this is different.  Teams have made the Bengals one-dimensional on offense and if the run gets stuffed as well, the offense sputters along.  

We lived off the big play last year. Our offense struggled without it, then pop we'd score.

We all know that not every 60 yard TD is 60 yards through the air. Guys like Chase can catch a 10 yard ball and score.

Now Chase is unlikely to take a WR screen to the house.

One major problem with the Bengals is they've started slow for the last 2 years. The 1st quarters almost always put us in a hole.
Reply/Quote
So frustrating acting like cover 2 is some elaborate scheme we can never figure out. Teams that don’t have Chase, Higgins , Boyd , Hurst , Burrow and Mixon score way more points then us consistently. Team should be scoring 30 points weekly , we scored 20,19, and 17 in all three loses.
Reply/Quote
We rarely see many short route concepts with this offense. Not many slants, smash routes, digs, or curls. No play action rollouts, little motion. It's late enough in the season that they should know how to beat cover 2. KC did it last year after a few weeks, they adjusted. Why can Zac Taylor not do the same?
It's easy to see the world in black and white. Grey? I don't know what to do with grey.

Reply/Quote
Joe has to thrive in the dink and dunk short passing game. Hopefully we don't continue to see batted down balls at the line of scrimmage like last night.
Reply/Quote